Season 2020 news - 2020 season cancelled (8 July 2020)

Desperate for some footy positivity I went and watched Box Hill today.

Found plenty. Infinitely more watchable than last night's garbage.

But first the bad news - Will Golds did his ACL. Tragic for the kid, was playing well.

Ok, the good stuff - we won 11.7 73 to 2.12 24.

3.2 - 0.3
5.3 - 0.9
7.7 - 0.10
11.7 - 2.12

As far as I could tell the Dees had 11 listed players to our 10. The first half was pretty evenly fought, but Casey just couldn't find a goal. We rushed a lot of their points but they sprayed quite a few they should have got. Second half was dominated by Box Hill.

Our listed players were Golds, Day, Jeka, Maginness, Hartley, Moore, Ross, Jones, Pepper, Reeves.

Glass was there, in civvies. Didn't seem injured, not sure why he wasn't playing. Must be a niggle. No sign of O'Brien, Howe, Gunston or M.Walker (what's happened to him?).

Day, Hartley and Pepper lined up down back. Reeves, Maginness and Jones in the middle. Ross, Jeka, Moore and Golds up forward.

Dylan Moore started on fire - best player in the first qtr. Ross kicked our first 2, the first a really good snap. Cucinotta got the 3rd from a set shot. Reeves was great, winning all the taps and taking 4 or 5 marks, 2 of them good strong contested ones.

2nd qtr was a bit more of a slog. Casey off target, and Box Hill scrapping a couple of goals - Ross walking into an open goal and Jeka with a big snap around the body from distance. Golds injured early in the qtr.

3rd qtr we dominated but struggled to find the goals. Maginness and Jones really worked into it. Reeves serving it on a platter for our mids. Ross kicked his 4th and Will Day kicked a beauty late. Worthy of a description - Casey cleared from deep, Day sprinted hard to make the contest and spoiled the ball to ground wide on the boundary, somehow landing and pirouetting as he did, somehow emerging from the traffic with the ball tucked under his arm. Handpassed forward, then got it back and snapped across his body on the angle for a brilliant goal. We bemoan a lack of class in the senior side, well this kid has it in spades.

Last qtr foot came off the gas a bit and Casey snagged a couple, but it opened up for Box Hill as well. Jeka got on the end of a great passage of play, taking a big mark in the goal square. Kid can play. Reeves drifted forward and took a strong grab, dobbing it from about 25 out. Riley Bowman - new young ruckman - struggled most of the day but hit a purple patch with the last two goals, one a quick snap from a pack and then a good lead out mark and conversion.

HFC listed blokes:
Reeves - BOG by a mile for mine. I haven't seen a more dominant display by a Hawthorn ruckman since Salmon. Sure, I don't know who he was up against, but he was that dominant and impacted the game to a ridiculous extent. Every stoppage, he put it down a BH player's throat. Taps behind his head to blokes on the move, thumps into space where our blokes ran onto it, palms straight to Finn and Jones over and over again. I'll say again, I haven't seen anything like it for 20 years, and I've watched a lot of footy. Also took marks around the ground, kicked a goal, laid some heavy tackles. About 500% better than I've ever seen him play before.

Jeka - moved well, got up the ground, took marks, distributed well. Kicked a couple, could have maybe had one or two more as he had one touched on the line and one slipped through his hands in the square after he'd done all the body work to take the mark. Has a presence. Lot to like.

Day - got more and more prominent. Just after he kicked that great goal, he did a lazy kick on the wing that drifted wide of the mark and went to an oppo player. I watched him for a reaction - he took off toward the action like a mad man. I thought he's not going to impact this, it's just going back over his head. But he threw himself headlong and smothered the kick over the boundary. In the last quarter, he was everywhere, linking and driving forward. Took a big defensive mark in the goal square at full back. He's got me very very keen to see more.

Maginness - was workman-like. I'll stop short of saying he was great, but he played as well as any of our mids, and clearly knows how to play. Got ridiculous silver service at the stoppages from Reeves, and fed it out well most times. I tried to keep rough track of his possessions, I'd say he got around 20.

Jones - very very similar to Maginness. They actually play similar games. Finn actually looks the stronger, but Jones is slightly more manic and fights in and under.

Hartley - great game at full back. His ability to be in the right spot was a bit dare I say Mirra-like. He's a great kick, although he did bite off a couple of kickouts that were a bit over ambitious. He'll be a very handy player for Box Hill.

Pepper - this kid could be an absolute steal. The knock was his kicking, but he looks to have a nice compact action and hit all his targets today. (In fact Box Hill's overall skill made a mockery of what we saw last night - brrrr trying to forget). Pepper competes like crazy, has a great leap, and looks really composed. Like I said, he looks a steal.

Ross - has that happy knack of getting to the right spots at the right time. He's a very dangerous and clever player. Four goals is a good return. Did drift out of it a fraction in the second half but we were rotating forwards and he was still creating for others.

Moore - started on fire. Only played the first half, but was doing it all - marking, tackling, linking. Seem to be playing high HFF, not playing close to goal.

Golds - really sad. Was going pretty nicely, getting his share of touches pre injury.

Box Hill lads -
to be honest I was there more for the Hawks but these blokes stood out:

Mullenger-McHugh - played at CHB and looked more at home in defence than any time I saw him last year up forward. Very good game with some disciplined spoils and intercepts.

Bowman - young ruckman looked a tentative for the most part until taking his chances up forward in the last qtr. Box Hill might be very happy to have Brooksby to accompany Reeves cos Bowman doesn't look up to it (admittedly at first glance).

Deluca - stocky left footed midfielder, got involved a lot. Could be a handy replacement for Meadows, looks a similar type.

DeWit - after playing defence last year he was used as a tall wingman today and was quite prominent.

Otten was serviceable down back, Deledio didn't play.

I know this is all probably a little overly positive, but after last night I know I needed it. Was a good spectacle, and a fair bit to take away for Box Hill.
Great report. Thanks. Am super excited by Reeves. Fingers crossed this is a turning point and he kicks on.

cs61

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Land of the Rising Sun
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Exceptional Report.

'Reeves - BOG by a mile for mine. I haven't seen a more dominant display by a Hawthorn ruckman since Salmon. Sure, I don't know who he was up against, but he was that dominant and impacted the game to a ridiculous extent. Every stoppage, he put it down a BH player's throat. Taps behind his head to blokes on the move, thumps into space where our blokes ran onto it, palms straight to Finn and Jones over and over again. I'll say again, I haven't seen anything like it for 20 years, and I've watched a lot of footy. Also took marks around the ground, kicked a goal, laid some heavy tackles. About 500% better than I've ever seen him play before.'

This is massive improvement. I would have thought given where he was at last year, if over the year he gradually become more comfortable at VFL level that would be a win. To be a BOG even in a VFL practice match, is very, very positive signs.

Forget the fact Day is slight the only thing stopping him playing AFL footy is a tank. He just hasn't done an AFL pre season and wouldn't be able to run out a game but he is a star in the making has everything. Can kick on both sides without thinking about it, courageous, great hands and reads the play so well. His goal was the icing today as stemline described it but he had similar efforts and intercepts where he just closed the distance quickly to turn the ball over. Reeves was astonishing but i guess he was playing a nobody had Preuss played we would have got a better indication. Still a remarkable improvement from where he was last year. The key here is the knocks to advantage. Its the ability to pick out our mids even in traffic

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Yeah, I don't think Reeves was up against much today, but if that's the case he made use of it like you wouldn't believe.

And last year it would have been the case that he was the one the other side could dominate and say they weren't up against much.

He was astonishingly good today. Almost taking the piss at times.

Thanks for such a terrific post stemline. We are on the same page with all your observations. Ned Reeves opponents were Austin Bradtke [204 cms
son of Nicole and Mark and Andrew Courtney [201cms] from Sandringham Dragons and Vic Metro in last years National Champs plus he registered
running vertical and standing leaps of 94 and 81 cms at the State Combine. Both players compete well however they were totally outplayed by Ned.
At 3/4 time I welcomed Josh Deluca and complimented him on his very good first half. He responded by saying he was lucky because he received
silver service from Ned.
What a difference a week makes. Against Coburg the team had 10 resigned players, 11 young recruits and 7 top ups. This week 10 HFC, 10 resigned
including Stu Horner who had a good first half and Vince Adduci and 9 recruits including experience Deluca and Andy Otten who will provide very good
cover for the losses of Luke Meadows and Dave Mirra.
I'm very excited by our four draftees. Will Day is super talented and his ability to wrong foot opponents is Sam Mitchell plus pace. Emerson Jeka reads
the play very well to have the opportunity take multiple marks. If he builds up his strength to hold his position and marks he will be a weapon. Fin
Maginness is a beast for a 19 year old and nailed some great tackles to add to some elite hand balls. Harry Pepper is super quick getting back to defend
after attacking the ball or assisting a team mate. Harry could develop into a top pressure forward.
It was very good to see Josh Morris, James Worpel, Damon Greaves and Conor Glass supporting their team mates and going into the rooms after Will
Golds injured his knee. Conor didn't play because he played in Tasmania.

Thanks for such a terrific post stemline. We are on the same page with all your observations. Ned Reeves opponents were Austin Bradtke [204 cms
son of Nicole and Mark and Andrew Courtney [201cms] from Sandringham Dragons and Vic Metro in last years National Champs plus he registered
running vertical and standing leaps of 94 and 81 cms at the State Combine. Both players compete well however they were totally outplayed by Ned.
At 3/4 time I welcomed Josh Deluca and complimented him on his very good first half. He responded by saying he was lucky because he received
silver service from Ned.
What a difference a week makes. Against Coburg the team had 10 resigned players, 11 young recruits and 7 top ups. This week 10 HFC, 10 resigned
including Stu Horner who had a good first half and Vince Adduci and 9 recruits including experience Deluca and Andy Otten who will provide very good
I'm very excited by our four draftees. Will Day is super talented and his ability to wrong foot opponents is Sam Mitchell plus pace. Emerson Jeka reads
the play very well to have the opportunity take multiple marks. If he builds up his strength to hold his position and marks he will be a weapon. Fin
Maginness is a beast for a 19 year old and nailed some great tackles to add to some elite hand balls. Harry Pepper is super quick getting back to defend
after attacking the ball or assisting a team mate. Harry could develop into a top pressure forward.
It was very good to see Josh Morris, James Worpel, Damon Greaves and Conor Glass supporting their team mates and going into the rooms after Will

Any idea what is the problem with Mathew Walker as he has not played the last two weeks.

stemline

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2001
AFL Club
Hawthorn
silver service from Ned.
Good stuff mate. Did Conor Glass get on the park Friday night? I didn't think he had.

I had a look at BH's team sheet - after Otten and Hartley, the next oldest out there today was Deluca - and he's still just 23! Very young side, they'll have their ups and downs, but it'll be good to watch.

Any idea who the captain will be?

Mat sustained an injury at training. I cannot remember what it was although I think it was a muscle strain of some sort.
Conor played in the last quarter against the Dees so probably a management issue re playing two days running.
The favourite for the captaincy is/was Damien Mascitti however he hasn't played in a practice match due to an unknown injury.
Brayden Kilpatrick has a back injury which will probably see him miss at least half the season.

Davo-27

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 9, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill Hawks
good news regarding Ned Reeves, i knew from what i saw last year he was better than some were saying on these forums, he looked very good for a first year ruck in the VFL and now is showing it, which is pleasing to see

i would like to see Billy McCormack as the second ruck/forw if Bowman doesnt work as the second option as he is a great athlete and good footballer from Eastern u18 and could pair very well with Reeves, but then you also have Bowman and Graham so theres options a plenty in the ruck for BHH

Day and Maginness are special talents imo, Day was doing the same turns, spoils and second efforts in the u18 and Maginness is just a solid mid, that could offer our AFL team a different dimension similar to what Jordan Lewis did for so many years as a tall strong bodied mid who when he has space can carve a team up.

good to see McHugh-Mullenger, Jeka and Ross having good games as well.

With the spread of COVID-19 increasing across Victoria the Eastern Football Netball League has made the decision to IMMEDIATELY SUSPEND
all training, practice matches and events across the entire Competition until further notice.

Are all the restrictions just a band aid for the inevitable spreading of the disease? I don't know. Extreme thoughts, should public transport be
shut down and then supermarkets? Can life be stopped on the possibility of infection? If everyone bought two or four weeks of food and then
isolated for two or four weeks it's highly unlikely Coronavirus will end so what next? When will this all end? The frightening thing is nobody has
the answers.

Edit:
The 2020 NAB League Boys competition will begin on Saturday 21st March as planned.
The AFL ask that attendances at games are limited to players, umpires, officials, recruiters and direct family members.

Last edited:
Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Bushrangers Tottenham Hotspur
With the spread of COVID-19 increasing across Victoria the Eastern Football Netball League has made the decision to IMMEDIATELY SUSPEND
all training, practice matches and events across the entire Competition until further notice.

Are all the restrictions just a band aid for the inevitable spreading of the disease? I don't know. Extreme thoughts, should public transport be
shut down and then supermarkets? Can life be stopped on the possibility of infection? If everyone bought two or four weeks of food and then
isolated for two or four weeks it's highly unlikely Coronavirus will end so what next? When will this all end? The frightening thing is nobody has
the answers.

Edit:
The 2020 NAB League Boys competition will begin on Saturday 21st March as planned.
The AFL ask that attendances at games are limited to players, umpires, officials, recruiters and direct family members.

I agree. For the life of me I can't see how going to the G for a footy match in the open air is worse than catching a a packed train to the city five days a week for work in terms of exposing yourself to the virus. Is it all about being seen to be doing things rather than doing the actual things that will make a difference?

I agree. For the life of me I can't see how going to the G for a footy match in the open air is worse than catching a a packed train to the city five days a week for work in terms of exposing yourself to the virus. Is it all about being seen to be doing things rather than doing the actual things that will make a difference?
I think the two+ hours with people screaming, drinking, jostling etc is considered worse, wouldn't want to be on a packed post footy train either.

Depending on your job you can be driving instead of on PT, you can have very little direct human contact as well.

A lot of people can work remotely, a lot of companies are doing a lot right not to make it possible for more employees to work remotely.

If they play footy in empty stadiums and show it on TV that kind of works but for local leagues it doesn't and it's increasing the risk of all the players and staff to get the virus which will still help it spread more

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
I think the two+ hours with people screaming, drinking, jostling etc is considered worse, wouldn't want to be on a packed post footy train either.

Depending on your job you can be driving instead of on PT, you can have very little direct human contact as well.

A lot of people can work remotely, a lot of companies are doing a lot right not to make it possible for more employees to work remotely.

If they play footy in empty stadiums and show it on TV that kind of works but for local leagues it doesn't and it's increasing the risk of all the players and staff to get the virus which will still help it spread more

Really? I don't think so at all. If we are serious about reducing close contact, public transport should be one of the first things to go.

Really? I don't think so at all. If we are serious about reducing close contact, public transport should be one of the first things to go.
how long you spend on PT and how busy the PT is is going to impact how bad being on it is

Footy is a little different to PT in how much interaction there is between people.

Shutting down PT impacts people in ways shutting down the footy doesn't as well.

Some people have no alternative to get to the shops or the doctors

Until they are shutting down business in the CBD shutting down PT is problematic, how are the people working at the Royal Womens, Royal Children's and other inner hospitals going to get to work because I bet most of them can't drive and park at work

Sep 27, 2012
Hawks heartland
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
how long you spend on PT and how busy the PT is is going to impact how bad being on it is

Footy is a little different to PT in how much interaction there is between people.

Shutting down PT impacts people in ways shutting down the footy doesn't as well.

Some people have no alternative to get to the shops or the doctors

Until they are shutting down business in the CBD shutting down PT is problematic, how are the people working at the Royal Womens, Royal Children's and other inner hospitals going to get to work because I bet most of them can't drive and park at work

Oh I agree shutting down PT is way more problematic, that is exactly my point.

"Hawthorn withdraws players from the VFL, reducing Box Hill Hawks to stand-alone team"

It’s understood the AFL Hawks told their long-time VFL partner yesterday that none of their players would appear in the state league this season owing to the coronavirus crisis. The move shocked Box Hill, which must now source more players for its list.

This afternoon the Hawks said they had segregated the AFL and VFL programs as part of standard quarantine practices, but had made no decision on what would occur for the rest of the season.

Every AFL-listed Hawk has been absorbed into the AFL program and separated from the VFL program.

Back