Season 2020 news - 2020 season cancelled (8 July 2020)

Remove this Banner Ad

"Hawthorn withdraws players from the VFL, reducing Box Hill Hawks to stand-alone team"

I cannot help but think we have done this for purely financial reasons as a brutal way of saving $$.

How are our players who are not selected for the seniors going to get match practice?

Was Max Bailey one of the people withdrawn by the Hawks from Box Hill?

My thought was the decision was more about controlling the isolation of the players than financial. The BHH players have regular employment and are
therefore potentially exposed to far more people. Another thought was there will be a greater rotation of players because it's likely there will be shorter
breaks between games. There is no state league footy until the end of May so all teams will be in the same position re match practice for the players
not selected. Finally the possibility that there may be no state league footy this season may well have been discussed and therefore considered.

I was really excited about watching our young players develop at the BHH this season. With the very good recruiting by the BHH we were set to soar.

I would assume if there is a minidraft, top up players or supplementary list we would mostly use the Box Hill mature guys anyway (e.g. Deluca, Deledio, Otten, Mynott etc) as they would be at least be familiar with the game plan and be relatively plug'n'play. Hopefully the AFL resolve this soon so they can get in with the AFL team without losing too much time away from the training track.

Last edited:

I was really excited about watching our young players develop at the BHH this season. With the very good recruiting by the BHH we were set to soar.
Yep was going to be a great season to watch a few up and comers. Bummer.

My thought was the decision was more about controlling the isolation of the players than financial. The BHH players have regular employment and are
therefore potentially exposed to far more people. Another thought was there will be a greater rotation of players because it's likely there will be shorter
breaks between games. There is no state league footy until the end of May so all teams will be in the same position re match practice for the players
not selected. Finally the possibility that there may be no state league footy this season may well have been discussed and therefore considered.

This.
If the VFL isn't happening and they are just training after work what's the point of our boys training with them to stay fit.
They can do it at the club and not be exposed to more people.
Sucks for box hill if some form of season happens eventually, VFL is in serious trouble.
We could be looking at a national AFL reserves comp next year with clubs fielding two teams and expanded lists and no state level comps due to how this year pans out.

I caught sight of something online about the standalone clubs trying to set up a separate league that would also include a number of stronger suburban clubs, such as Balwyn Tigers, with the option to include clubs like Box Hill. I can't find the link though.

This one Dixie ?

It wasn't that article specifically but that's the news I caught this morning.

It will be interesting to see if it goes ahead before June. A lot of suburban leagues have pulled the pin on their season for the time being, as I understand it.

On field affiliation between Hawthorn and Box Hill suspended indefinitely. Hawthorn will continue to provide administration support.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In fantastic news for Box Hill Hawks Football Club eight VFL clubs will commence full contact training from Monday 13 July with a seven-round season plus finals to commence on Saturday 1 August. The eight clubs to compete in to 2020 Hard Yakka/Totally Workwear VFL Season will be Box Hill, Casey Demons, Coburg, Frankston, Port Melbourne, Sandringham, Werribee and Williamstown.

The season will conclude with the top four clubs competing in a three-week Finals Series with the VFL Grand Final set for the weekend of 10 October. A VFL split round will be fixtured to provide flexibility while also preserving the integrity of the competition.

Flag08

Premiership Player
Feb 18, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Where are they going to get their players from given their best 18-20 are out? Maybe it will be like an EDFL Rep side since they’re not playing.

Really interesting. I presume the BHH, Casey and Sandringham will have their salary caps and number of listed players increased to the same as the five stand alone clubs. There will be a lot of quality players who only play local footy due to the money they are paid. If the final lists were lodged before the season was suspended the stand alone clubs might be locked in which will benefit the BHH, Casey and Sandringham. A key to signing players will be whether they have continue to train during the lockdown and for the EFL after the season was cancelled. It will be great if we get to see the likes of Bull O’Donnell playing for the BHH again.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back