Opinion Season 2020 - Pessimistic or optimistic?

Are you optimistic or pessimistic about 2020?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if this is the best thread to post this - but if we win the flag in 2020, who gets the credit - Truck or Woosha? :think:
Guess it would be a happy conundrum to have (as long as they don’t both go the biffo on the way up to the podium to collect the cup....)

Not sure if this is the best thread to post this - but if we win the flag in 2020, who gets the credit - Truck or Woosha? :think:
Guess it would be a happy conundrum to have (as long as they don’t both go the biffo on the way up to the podium to collect the cup....)

Depends who you ask.

Short term: Rutten
Long term: Woosha
Blitz: Hird

After hearing of the injury list through the pre season. Essendon won’t do too well next year. Many players missing chunks of preseason doesn’t hold well at AFL level.

season 2020 going to be s**t. lets face it.

half the team was injured prior to the Christmas Break which means impacted pre seasons for a large % of the playing group. Essendon admitted in December they only had 23 players training........ rest were either in surgery or recovering from injuries.

we all know what happens when players don't get proper pre seasons in.

the only good thing is we are all used too it!

There is no obvious reason to think we will get better and plenty of reasons to think other clubs will go past us, and yet, I'm not pessimistic. And not because I expect Daniher to make a miraculous recovery (although it wouldn't actually be miraculous).

For the past two years we have been less than the sum of our parts - much less. We don't have any out and out superstars (other than Daniher) but we are filled to the brim with past AA recipients. It just never really clicks. There just isn't enough trust in each player to do the right thing defensively or offensively to allow the team to work consistently.

Of course, it might not click this year either. But it could. And if so, we could be a powerhouse. Even mediocre players can have a massive impact if they fit into a team that is in desperate need for a particular type of skill. For example, a Hibberd type (whilst no star) could allow us to stop throwing so many players at stoppages so we can improve on outside run.

Can't deny it, I'm feeling kind of flat. Looking forward to seeing Redman again this season, his development was the highlight of last season for me. Also looking forward to seeing coaching changes initiated by Rutten and Caracella.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Best list we’v had since early 2000s. Could ‘hope’ for improvement out what is a pretty talented group under 24 yo and a better run with injuries.

that being said it’s a club pathetically ordinary in their ambition and willingness to accept a ‘good enough‘ outcome.

Expect us to be 6 - 8 but this list is good enough to challenge for a flag

Anyone else feel the need to see us go hard in the pre season matches? I want us to play to win like there is 4 points on the line. If we muck around and experiment and go at 70% I'd be flat.

The fittest and best side possible and go hard, get the tempo right as early as possible.
Nah. Pre season matches are for blowing out the cobwebs and building towards round 1.

I seem to remember Richmond wanting to win their 2017 pre season matches, seemed to work?

I want to win, we always use them for "blowing out the cobwebs" and it isn't working.
West Coast got pumped by Freo in 2018, Western Bulldogs only won 1 in 2016, Hawthorne only won 2 games over their 3 peat years

Back