Opinion Season 2020 - Pessimistic or optimistic?

Are you optimistic or pessimistic about 2020?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm becoming more optimistic as the days go on. Latest training report(s) on BB seemed encouraging.

I think it directly correlates with how frequently I hear or see Woosha in the pre-season.

Mildly Optimistic if we can get a good run with injuries. Dev Smith & raz have so much impact when fit and will make a big difference to pressure in forward half.
Some top young talent coming good (parish Francis pigeon) and will step up more.
Tippa from rookie list to elite forward I comp is just amazing to watch.
McKenna Saady will continue to be elite this year pushing for AA
Like the added big body’s in the middle but still a slight concern
Depth Looking better when the full list fit and a lot of hungry guys will miss out. Which is what we need.
Ruck is biggest worry... fingers crossed Draper gets fit

Looks like we are going to miss the 8 judging the public. People forget we nearly made top 4 if it wasn't for a couple of winnable games. Tippa and Saad standout for me but I'm looking forward to next season. It's great that we play well away from home as well.

I'll be honest but I did have a crack at Woosha more than once this season but let's just sail this out hope for a solid 2020.
We also scraped many games too.
North, GWS, Gold Coast, even Adelaide. It’s what middle of the road teams do.

with all the injuries already, I’m not getting positive vibes.

It was an accurate representation of where we were at. We'll always be playing a game of hope when 7-8 of our top ten players are injury prone.

I think we might go backwards a bit in terms of wins and ladder position, but hoping that's partly due to getting to grips with the style rutten and cara want the team to play and we end up in a stronger position going forward. Hoping we can avoid the no-show crushing losses of last season.

After a season where Walla clearly went next level, I'm keen to see if he can be even better. He's a freak with ball in hand. I usually despise the term 'x factor', but he epitomises that.

We're lucky to have players on the list who, when they receive the ball, you can sense the crowd's anticipation that something special could be about to happen. I'm thinking of Walla, McKenna and Saad. Before injury I would also have said Daniher.

After a season where Walla clearly went next level, I'm keen to see if he can be even better. He's a freak with ball in hand. I usually despise the term 'x factor', but he epitomises that.

We're lucky to have players on the list who, when they receive the ball, you can sense the crowd's anticipation that something special could be about to happen. I'm thinking of Walla, McKenna and Saad. Before injury I would also have said Daniher.
....add Stringer and Fanta? (both fit of course)

We're f’ed, I'll still go every week, but we are f’ed.
Agree. Not going to be much more than what we have seen in recent times but I will still be at 16 or so games.

Not good having so many on the recovery road. Melbourne found that out last year. The simple thing is there are just so many "if" situations.
If Joe and Raz can get back.
If McGrath and Parish can go up a level.
If we can keep evolving our team game.
If as McGuanne said we can close the gap between our best and worst.
If Bellchambers can stay on the park all year.
I could go on.
We are middle of the road. We have to find improvement. Right now on the injury front it is not looking ideal.

I suspect the pre-season injury curse is a myth - Every year around 4 to 6 teams have lots of players in the rehab group pre XMAS - Usually one of these teams fall off a cliff, so the media perpetuates the myth when in fact this is the law of averages - If this was true how come the other 4 or 5 teams perform around expectations.

I suspect the pre-season injury curse is a myth - Every year around 4 to 6 teams have lots of players in the rehab group pre XMAS - Usually one of these teams fall off a cliff, so the media perpetuates the myth when in fact this is the law of averages - If this was true how come the other 4 or 5 teams perform around expectations.
It is not just the rehab group but more the late operations that cause the players to have no base training before mid Jan. It is not a myth. The players who do not start running before Jan 10 struggle.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It is not just the rehab group but more the late operations that cause the players to have no base training before mid Jan. It is not a myth. The players who do not start running before Jan 10 struggle.

So with all the talk about shortening the pre season what happens?
Do teams push more work into a shorter time frame?
Do fitness levels drop off?

Probably won't see a whole lot of change, most of the pre-Christmas stuff seems to be about getting guys right post-season, integrating draftees and building a fitness base. Most of the senior guys (should) stay in good shape in their off-season anyway, thus why generally it's not such a big deal to have them coming back a bit later if it means they can clear up the niggles.

Heppell for example; if an extra month of light duties / low impact work means his foot is fully recovered, then he'll be a better performer throughout the season regardless of the missed work.

The younger guys who are still building that aerobic capacity / size / training load probably require a bit more work, it's easier to maintain a level than it is to build up to it.

According to Bomber Blitz, about 30 guys now in main training group, including Hurely, McKernan, Shiel, Ambrose, Gleeson, Guelfi and Mozzie.

Merrett in rehab group, Stewart doing lots of running.

No sign of Joe, Hooker or Zaka.

Optimistic we won't be near the bottom.
Pessimistic, as we won't be any risk of doing damage in finals.
That's not true pessimism, mate.
I'm 50/50 on us even making the 8, and that's my optimistic outlook.

Players are staying very fit during the break and are coming back early anyway. On top of that they all get individual programs. Those who do not put the work in during their break will soon find themselves behind the 8 ball. I doubt it makes much difference other than those not doing the yards finding themselves out of the system a bit quicker.

On the positive side, after ANZAC Day I felt as though we learned how to win when the pressure's on, rather than simply capitulating. If we get close to our best side on the park for most of the year, that experience could push us further.

Back