Analysis Season 2020 - What should the season look like now?

Remove this Banner Ad

How quickly we forget.
The season has already started. But i know how you feel.

I wonder who and from which code may throw a spanner in the works.
NRL possibly front runners but it could come from anywhere.

Lets hope we get to round 2 so we can listen to some fake crowd noise.
If we like it everyone's sanity will be in question

Those American sitcoms will have a lot to answer for.
Worth a try in my opinion..if it doesnt work, it easily removed.

Worth a try in my opinion..if it doesnt work, it easily removed.
I agree. My comment just being cheeky.
Season still crazy though.
Only a true psychic could have predicted the following, 6 months ago :

Fake crowd noise at games
Just in, possible change round 2 Port v Crows could play in Adelaide delaying travel to GC hub
Away teams travelling on game day.
Irresponsible sexual behavior could lead to penalties and playing bans
Arch rivals Port & Crows sharing accommodation at luxury golf course where they are not allowed to play golf
Same applies to Eagles & Dockers.
Teams from other states more than likely play home games in SEQ.
Double headers likely
Four interstate teams staying 4 weeks on the Gold Coast but unable to go surfing,fishing or boating like everyone else.
Club members encouraged to basically donate this years membership in return for discounted 2021 membership + some minor offerings
$2.50 Kayo to watch er well basically nothing really
AFL sending regular e- mails to advise you to watch old "Fixture Throwback" games not for free mind you but at a cost.

Plus this non AFL beauty : cricketers are no longer available to spit on the balls

I agree. My comment just being cheeky.
Season still crazy though.
Only a true psychic could have predicted the following, 6 months ago :

Fake crowd noise at games
Just in, possible change round 2 Port v Crows could play in Adelaide delaying travel to GC hub
Away teams travelling on game day.
Irresponsible sexual behavior could lead to penalties and playing bans
Arch rivals Port & Crows sharing accommodation at luxury golf course where they are not allowed to play golf
Same applies to Eagles & Dockers.
Teams from other states more than likely play home games in SEQ.
Double headers likely
Four interstate teams staying 4 weeks on the Gold Coast but unable to go surfing,fishing or boating like everyone else.
Club members encouraged to basically donate this years membership in return for discounted 2021 membership + some minor offerings
$2.50 Kayo to watch er well basically nothing really
AFL sending regular e- mails to advise you to watch old "Fixture Throwback" games not for free mind you but at a cost.

Plus this non AFL beauty : cricketers are no longer available to spit on the balls
Not allowed to spit on their balls or the cricket ball?

So according to Fox we are apparantly playing an away game at Metricon vs West Coast on the Friday night of the next round, though I think this is a few days old news.

I defy the Lions to select two rucks.

Heard or read this somewhere else, that many believe the shorter quarters mean the time of the second ruck needed for a chop out is dead. Will make top level, resilient, endurance rucks worth much more. Perhaps the Collingwood Grundy contract doesn't seem like such a stretch if this is true. If so I hope we get another 4 years out of Steph. :muscle:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Heard or read this somewhere else, that many believe the shorter quarters mean the time of the second ruck needed for a chop out is dead. Will make top level, resilient, endurance rucks worth much more. Perhaps the Collingwood Grundy contract doesn't seem like such a stretch if this is true. If so I hope we get another 4 years out of Steph. :muscle:
I am still hoping that the game goes back to 20minute quarters next year.

Listening to SEN today and the phone and txts were running hot. The vast majority of the callers are dead against it in no uncertain terms.

The fans are not happy. One caller said he grew up with 25min qtrs, then 20 now they want to change it to 16mins..he was furious....a few said they will not go to the games if they bring it in, might as well watch on the tv..

...and Eddie will be in there somewhere pushing for it you can bet on it!

Listening to SEN today and the phone and txts were running hot. The vast majority of the callers are dead against it in no uncertain terms.

The fans are not happy. One caller said he grew up with 25min qtrs, then 20 now they want to change it to 16mins..he was furious....a few said they will not go to the games if they bring it in, might as well watch on the tv..

With 70c in the dollar going to the AFL coffers from TV rights this may not be such issue for head office. Also we have no idea how continued social distancing rules will affect maximum allowable crowd numbers, regardless of stadium capacity. Without a vaccine sadly there is no going back.

With 70c in the dollar going to the AFL coffers from TV rights this may not be such issue for head office.
Yep. Not attending penalises the home team, not the AFL... Watching on TV rewards the AFL, not the home team...

My comment was about a misspelt word.

As for your point about endurance rucks who can provide something around the ground, I’ve been saying they’re really what clubs should be looking for. Or ruck forwards.

My opinion is that tap rucks, especially those that offer little else around the ground or up forward, really don’t suit the modern game. They need to be a Luke English type of tap ruck, mobile and act as a mid when ball hits the ground.

We saw Melbourne at pick 3 last year, draft a mobile ruck who follows up, lays tackles and looks to play as a contested midfielder once the ball is tapped.

Ballenden might be able to play as such a ruck, or ruck forward. He’s mobile and an elite field kick, so would provide an option, playing outside of the contest, or next link in the chain through the midfield.

And this years top ruck prospect in the draft is also an endurance athlete. He’s not very athletic, so is not a high leap, but he’s mobile, has good footy IQ, good skills by hand and by foot, and played as a forward ruck at SANFL level as a bottom age kid last season, and is a good kick for goal.

Last edited:
My comment was about a misspelt word.

As for your point about endurance rucks who can provide something around the ground, I’ve been saying they’re really what clubs should be looking for. Or ruck forwards.

My opinion is that tap rucks, especially those that offer little else around the ground or up forward, really don’t suit the modern game. They need to be a Luke English type of tap ruck, mobile and act as a mid when ball hits the ground.

We saw Melbourne at pick 3 last year, draft a mobile ruck who follows up, lays tackles and looks to play as a contested midfielder once the ball is tapped.

Ballenden might be able to play such a ruck, or ruck forward. He’s mobile and an elite field kick, so would provide an option, playing outside of the contest, or next link in the chain through the midfield.

And this years top ruck prospect in the draft is also an endurance athlete. He’s not very athletic, so is not a high leap, but he’s mobile, has good footy IQ, good skills by hand and by foot, and played as a forward ruck at SANFL level as a bottom age kid last season, and is a good kick for goal.

Ah didn't get the misspelling thing but glad you replied anyways, interesting.

Back in the days when the quarters were officially 25 mins, the time on/time off rules actually made each quarter shorter than when they changed to 20 mins with more time on.
If there are no crowds for the remainder of the season I still don't understand the reasons behind shortening the quarters....can someone please enlighten me?

Back in the days when the quarters were officially 25 mins, the time on/time off rules actually made each quarter shorter than when they changed to 20 mins with more time on.
If there are no crowds for the remainder of the season I still don't understand the reasons behind shortening the quarters....can someone please enlighten me?

It was so they can more games over a shorter period eg 4 games in 3 weeks. Which could still be required if the comp needs to be shut down.

It has been mentioned on the Suns forum that there might be a NEAFL North competition. Southport, Redlands, Aspley, and the Suns and Lions academy teams.

It has been mentioned on the Suns forum that there might be a NEAFL North competition. Southport, Redlands, Aspley, and the Suns and Lions academy teams.
I hope not, and too much risk for AFL listed players who are being COVID tested twice a week, and subject to onerous AFL conditions. They won't be exposed to part time players who are probably working in the community and not under the same restrictions of the AFL listed players. IF SA and WA teams bring over their full playing list, we will play against those four teams plus the Suns, perhaps as curtain raisers.

I could live with 16 minute quarters being brought in full time if it meant we could expand the season so each team plays every other team twice. Reduction in wear & tear on players' bodies etc. Scrap the preseason nonsense & play a 34 round season. Obviously would have to move away from a one game per week cycle, with fixturing being more condensed etc.

Edit: And as an aside, with no guarantee of crowds being allowed at games in 2021 anyway, it probably isn't a bad model in terms of revenue generation either. Footy being played either daily, or scheduled Thursday to Monday with dedicated footy shows airing Tuesday & Wednesday.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back