Analysis Season 2020 - What should the season look like now?

Remove this Banner Ad

The fixturing definitely changed. Two weeks ago, we were listed to play West Coast on the Friday night. No doubt, a bit of good old big Vic club / boys club BS lobbying sees four of the biggest Vic clubs now occupying the prime Thursday and Friday night slots. Typical. :rolleyes:
True but i am happy we are playing Fremantle.
Hopefully our next game is against the Suns
With a bit of luck we might be 2 wins 1 loss coming into round four.
By then we should be getting into full stride as a team.
If we play as we did in round 1 i could not see us beating the Eagles if they were our opponents.
In this weird season i will take some early wins over better opponents and TV time slots.

Bit surprised no Metricon games in the mix.

If crowds are allowed later in the year and we have to play away games in a row in front of crowds we will be at a disadvantage. Lots of ifs and buts there though, just need to get on with it.

Thursday or Friday night game be good too...

Last edited:
Bit surprised no Metricon games in the mix.

If crowds are allowed later in the year and we have to play away games in a row in front of crowds we will be at a disadvantage. Lots of ifs and buts there though, just need to get on with it.

Thursday or Friday night game be good too...
Yep, would prefer a string of "away" games on the Gold Coast with no crowds as opposed to four home games at the Gabba like we've been handed.

Guessing the AFL will try to minimise the amount of games at neutral grounds

Will be interesting to see if they’re listed as home or neutral. I want as many opportunities in this 5,000 fan lottery as possible!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This means no travel to Adelaide or Perth. If travel does open up a later in the year this is certainly a benefit.

it will be interesting to see if we get home games against sydney, GWS and GC. that would be 7 home games against all the non-vic teams, and could see us with a high number of games in melbourne - finally meeting the merger agreement (when no one can watch!).

If WA & SA don’t open up travel, we could see a season when some Vic clubs don’t travel at.
Regardless, in this COVID season “fixture fairness” is at the bottom of the AFL list of concerns.

Guessing the AFL will try to minimise the amount of games at neutral grounds
Nailed it I think. Try to keep home games for the WA and SA teams in their pocket in case crowds are allowed to come back...

Nailed it I think. Try to keep home games for the WA and SA teams in their pocket in case crowds are allowed to come back...
So what about us, when crowds are allowed back?
We only have a maximum of 9 home games this year and probably more likely 8 and we will have 4 gone already when there is no chance of crowds.

This means no travel to Adelaide or Perth. If travel does open up a later in the year this is certainly a benefit.

it will be interesting to see if we get home games against sydney, GWS and GC. that would be 7 home games against all the non-vic teams, and could see us with a high number of games in melbourne - finally meeting the merger agreement (when no one can watch!).

If WA & SA don’t open up travel, we could see a season when some Vic clubs don’t travel at.
Regardless, in this COVID season “fixture fairness” is at the bottom of the AFL list of concerns.

If WA and SA don't open up, surely every Vic team would still make on average 2 trips to Metricon to play the SA/WA teams, 1 trip to Sydney, and 1 more trip to QLD to play the Lions or Suns. If they schedule all their away games against other vic clubs, it doesn't achieve anything, it doesn't reduce the total amount of travel required in the comp, because the interstate teams will just travel to Melbourne more than usual.

So what about us, when crowds are allowed back?
We only have a maximum of 9 home games this year and probably more likely 8 and we will have 4 gone already when there is no chance of crowds.

And if they do allow Limited fans they’ll be members who get the tickets. Figure it’ll be gold members allocated first for the first game, the silver etc

Away games in Melbourne would be great for our Melbourne base - silver lining.

This fixture is dumb. We're going to be on the road every week leading up to finals, and I guarantee we won't get more than 1 game at the MCG. In fact we'll be lucky to get one given we've already had one. It's literally the exact opposite of Richmond 2019. We just about might as well set up our own hub at Brunswick St in August/September. I'm sure there's some cheap accomodation in Melbourne with all those international students stuck in China.

Trips to Canberra, Ballarat, Geelong and Hobart in the last 6 weeks leading up to finals will be fun.

Last edited:
And if they do allow Limited fans they’ll be members who get the tickets. Figure it’ll be gold members allocated first for the first game, the silver etc

Away games in Melbourne would be great for our Melbourne base - silver lining.
I am a Gold Member, but I am thinking it would be nice to get a choice as to which game you get to go to with limited crowds. As I may not choose a StKilda game over a Collingwood game for instance. If the Saints are up first?

First four games at The Gabba.

View attachment 880955
Good to see we’ve corrected this. We play Port on Sat July 4, not the 13th, which is a Monday anyway. I was wondering how we could have a bye after 4 rounds when there are no byes. Few cobwebs, or no media staff left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back