Analysis Season 2020 - What should the season look like now?

Remove this Banner Ad

From what I’ve heard, it won’t happen.
These couple of paragraphs here From the article possibly suggest otherwise.

“AFL football operations boss Steve Hocking on Wednesday confirmed the league was weighing up whether to add one or two more interchange players, which could increase team lists to as many as 24 on match day.”

“We’re still considering that and it’s the only thing we’re considering as a final amendment to the game (before the season restarts),” Hocking said.

These couple of paragraphs here From the article possibly suggest otherwise.

“AFL football operations boss Steve Hocking on Wednesday confirmed the league was weighing up whether to add one or two more interchange players, which could increase team lists to as many as 24 on match day.”

“We’re still considering that and it’s the only thing we’re considering as a final amendment to the game (before the season restarts),” Hocking said.

Didn't quite catch it on the news this morning but said something about Port and Adelaide wanting a crowd at their game (knew that) and now also GWS? Trying to class their match as a corporate gathering with a restaurant or something so they can have a very small crowd there? Anyone have the details of this? Or did I mishear and am completely off the mark...

Last edited:
Didn't quite catch it on the news this morning but said something about Port and Adelaide wanting a crowd at their game (knew that) and now also GWS? Trying to class their match as a corporate gathering with a restaurant or something so they can have a very small crowd there? Anyone have the details of this? Or did I mishear and am completely off the mark...

I believe GWS are after the corporate boxes to be allowed, can definitely see the logic behind that.

I believe GWS are after the corporate boxes to be allowed, can definitely see the logic behind that.

Could be a good money boost for clubs if they're able to sell corporate box tickets. Fans will pay big to attend.

Here's the info on that:

Latest GWS Giants news throughout the 2020 AFL season
Ben Horne, The Daily Telegraph
June 2, 2020 9:17pm

GWS Giants have made a bold move to become the first sporting club in Australia to welcome patrons back to matches.

It will still be some time until the masses can return, but GWS is hopeful provisions can be made for up to 350 corporate guests to be let into Giants Stadium as early as their first game back against North Melbourne on June 14.

The GWS Giants are making a big, big sound in the AFL and we’re keeping you in the know with up-to-the-minute news from out of GIANTS Stadium. If your all about the team from the west of the town, this is where you need to be.

Giants Stadium venue operators the Royal Agricultural Society (RAS) are confident that a NSW government ruling on Monday that 50 people are now allowed in restaurants will apply in the same way to their hospitality facilities.

The plan is pending the RAS securing a government sign-off.

GWS chief executive David Matthews is keen to make the distinction that this is a small selection of people and not the gates being opened for crowds, but the Giants are still poised to lead the way by taking a major first step back towards normality at the footy.

“We are doing some work at the moment which suggests that as early as round two we might be able to make some corporate hospitality offerings,” Matthews told The Daily Telegraph.

“We’re in discussions with the AFL about that at the moment. The hospitality arrangements in NSW obviously are different to Victoria. What’s opened up a little bit here gives us an opportunity at Giants Stadium with the appropriate measures in place … so we’re just exploring that at the moment.

“If you can fit in (up to 350 people) who are essentially doing what you do in a restaurant, which is dining at an appropriate distance and following the relevant protocols, we’re very keen to explore that at the moment.”

Australian Rugby League Commission chairman Peter V’landys has bullishly outlined his plans to get crowds back at NRL games by July 1 and has stated that allowing corporate guests and club members back would be the first step.

But GWS could be the sporting club that gets the ball rolling with corporates against the Kangaroos, and the club is eager to reward the loyalty shown by sponsors and commercial partners during such a difficult time.

The Giants briefed the AFL on their plans yesterday and the club will prepare modelling around getting 350 guests and coterie group members into various corporate boxes at the Sydney Olympic Park venue. The RAS will seek approval from the NSW government.

“We’ve got a huge base of corporates and coterie group members who buy corporate hospitality as part of their entitlements at Giants Stadium. And we’re really keen to provide that (to them) if it’s able to be done,” Matthews said. “Our landlords are the RAS and the RAS is governed by NSW legislation. If the NSW government allowed the RAS to do it, then I can’t see anybody particularly trying to block it.

“But obviously if it’s an issue that remains with the AFL, which I can’t foresee, or any issue with the health authorities or the government, then it’s an obvious thing not to do it. But if they gave us the green light then we’d absolutely look to pursue it.”

Possible plan for 50 people at games in Vic if you class the gathering as the same class as a restaurant/pub/whatever it is. Not possible in QLD as we still have more strict lock down measures at this stage.

Imagine that.... 50 out of 30K chance of getting a ticket.

Jesus if the Broncos keep it up will have a sold out crowd each game if we get let in. Good money boost for us.
I feel cheated right now.
I don't get to watch all those Bronco so called fans leaving Suncorp at half time and the bunch of sooks would of.
You now all those ones that used to say why would you follow the Lions, when you told them who you support.
I feel for them.
Boo hoo.
They are seriously boring , Parramatta last week played like the pld days style, deep back line and quick exiting running halfs.
Our season just got better and we aren't even back playing yet, how good.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally I wish for nothing but success for every QLD team in sport!

But if you get enjoyment out of seeing Broncos lose then good luck to you!

I wish the Broncos & Reds nothing but success...... in about three years from now once our membership is up over 50K and the corporate sales team has secured all the blue chip sponsors the club neds... oops, I mean needs.

I wish the Broncos & Reds nothing but success...... in about three years from now once our membership is up over 50K and the corporate sales team has secured all the blue chip sponsors the club neds... oops, I mean needs.
In my experience the swinging supporters will follow us if we are doing well, whether the broncos are doing well or not wouldn't have much impact!

In my experience the swinging supporters will follow us if we are doing well, whether the broncos are doing well or not wouldn't have much impact!

I'd be interested to see if a sustained period of poor performance from the union & league teams coinciding with success for the Lions made it easier to find high end corporate sponsorship for the club. I suspect it would, however in the current economic climate I think it's a moot point, all clubs from all codes will just be scrambling to bring in whatever they can.

I have a plan.

If I can just get 20,000 or so Lions supporters together, we can go en masse to the Gabba for the Freo game as protesters.

Everyone to surround the ground singing, chanting, waving banners,flags and placards: demanding access to the ground to exercise our democatic rights to protest.

And what are we going to protest against?

Simple.

The years of atrocities committed by the umpires.

Foolproof ;) :)

Brisbane are trying to get crowds into games.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/af...a/news-story/37a6daf1335b2f893e34bd762c179ccf

AFL clubs are continuing to push their respective state governments to allow fans into stadiums as soon as Round 2, with the potential for over a thousand at some matches.
Foxfooty.com.au reported last week GWS’ bid to allow corporate guests at its game against North Melbourne on June 14 saw the league react tentatively, with concerns about giving a competitive advantage.

However clubs in New South Wales, South Australia and Queensland are continuing to push for fans to be permitted into games, under the same rules that have seen restaurants re-open.

An AFL statement, reported by 7 News Melbourne, suggested the league wasn’t ruling it out.

“We will continue to be guided by the governments and health officials and remain open to the potential of having fans attend games (in Round 2) if it is safe to do so,” the statement read.

That report stated Brisbane was pushing for government approval of a plan that could see over 1,000 fans at the Gabba for Saturday’s clash with Fremantle.

The move would see corporate backers allowed into superboxes and fans placed in function rooms. The Lions were said to be expecting an answer by Wednesday.

Meanwhile in South Australia, there is a similar push for fans to be allowed into Saturday night’s Showdown, off the back of the state approving mass weekend protests against racism.

If the state government’s COVID-19 transition committee gives the green light, it would then be up to the AFL to make a call.

Political party SA Best is pushing for the state to allow up to 10,000 fans into the Adelaide Oval, though this seems exceedingly unlikely.

So we might have corporate boxes opening .
That's a good thing for the Afl , injection of revenue.
So a possible thousand people at the Gabba.
What I'd like to see is maybe 20 % of that amount be awarded to paying seat members.
maybe some sought of draw.
Lucky dip.
Possibly to Gold members for the first couple of games then introduce the silvers the next couple then so on.
There's little chance you would receive a seat, but it would be a great gesture from the club.
I have to be perfectly honest it does piss me off a little, that the corporates get to bid for these seats, but hey money for the club is as I say a good thing.
I think some sought of reward to the punters would be a show of genuine appreciation from the club.

So we might have corporate boxes opening .
That's a good thing for the Afl , injection of revenue.
So a possible thousand people at the Gabba.
What I'd like to see is maybe 20 % of that amount be awarded to paying seat members.
maybe some sought of draw.
Lucky dip.
Possibly to Gold members for the first couple of games then introduce the silvers the next couple then so on.
There's little chance you would receive a seat, but it would be a great gesture from the club.
I have to be perfectly honest it does piss me off a little, that the corporates get to bid for these seats, but hey money for the club is as I say a good thing.
I think some sought of reward to the punters would be a show of genuine appreciation from the club.
Hard for the Club to choose. Corporate is a must, so they get first dibs.
Don't forget their are membership above Gold: Life, Foundation & Platinum & Pet 🙃 .
Then the Club may want some sort of cheer squad behind the goal sections.
Won't take much to get to the limit.
At least things are changing for the better

Remove this Banner Ad

Back