Analysis Season 2020 - What should the season look like now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't want to be 'that' guy, but the Tigers have a pretty cruisey schedule IMO lol. Still think we'll beat them ;)

It's not too dissimilar to the turn around that players from NRL state of origin used to have, (haven't watched it for years now so don't know if it's still the same), Broncos & Storm for years had a heap of players that had to back up & play a regular round game on the weekend after playing SOO on the Wednesday. You'd sit back & say, how the hell did those players do that after half a week's break. A lot of it is in the mind & I think we've got a great back end team that will revel in a situation like this.

Interesting seeing reactions from supporters of all the clubs on the main boards. My first reaction was damn, the AFL must have reacted to the noise in the media about our perceived advantage & premiership favoritism. But then started reading the gripes from all the other teams' supporters & thought, y'know what, we haven't got it too bad lol. The short break for the Tigers game isn't great but meh, it could be worse.

The pies have 4 games in 13 days same as us, except they're flying all over the bloody place as well. Perth to Bris, to Adel & back to Bris. Damn, that's gotta be tough for recovery.
Geelong also has appears to be at a disadvantage with the release of rounds 9-12 considering a few 4 day breaks and flying back from Perth. Out of the next 5 games, the Lions playing three games just down the M1, one at the Gabba and one in Hobart against a depleted North is not too bad, yes the 4 day breaks are a negative but a few of the other clubs are similar with turnaround days and are flying back from Perth. Overall I think we have done okay with the fixture.

What the hell is going on with the legislated 6 games in Melbourne

I'll be campaigning for 11 games in 2021, just to make it up.

They can play a Q-Clash down there.

So in the final analysis we'll have to play five interstate games in the H&A season. Hawthorn, Geelong, GWS, North and presumably Sydney.

It's a pretty big luxury for a team to play just less than a third of their games interstate. It's probably never happened before.

Except of course for every Victorian club, every other year.

It won’t happen, but...

Time to split the midfielders in to two units, and alternate midfields each game.

Neale
Mathieson
Bailey
McCluggage
T.Berry
J.Berry
Smith

Robertson
Lyons
Zorko
Hinge
Robinson
Joyce
Ellis-Yolmen

We can rest and rotate some of our medium and small defenders and forwards on a needs basis, with Witherden, Answerth, Christensen and Cox.

Looks like Archie might get a couple more games, if we rotate our rucks.

Same with Skinner and Payne if we rotate our talls at either end.

It’s got merit. INjuries are going to mount due to reduced recovery. While it can happen anytime, losing Zorko and Neale and McCluggage for the same game is the stuff of nightmares.

I think they’ll have to get extra bench and rotations. Surely.

Even more reason to start getting some games into them now rather than just throw them and expect everything from them immediately.

Hipwood has had 5 seasons and is still developing, these blokes haven’t had 5 minutes. Would think if they had as much time to develop they would be miles ahead of Eric.
Probably have a contested marking, goal kicking, beast by now!

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

It’s got merit. INjuries are going to mount due to reduced recovery. While it can happen anytime, losing Zorko and Neale and McCluggage for the same game is the stuff of nightmares.

I think they’ll have to get extra bench and rotations. Surely.

But do we want that? Every team is going to have a condensed few weeks, could be another opportunity for teams with superior medical & conditioning departments to take an advantage. Just saying ;)

By golly, this will be interesting!

Andrews, Gardiner, Neale and Hipwood are all at >90% time on ground so far this year.

Feasibly, with good management of rotating the 2nd tier players and having more managed time on ground (in which I have trust in the staff) there's no need to have games without Neale/Lyons/Zorko/Andrews/Gardiner/Rich/Cameron/Hipwood/McStay/McCluggage/Berry.

hopefully :) It will be a great test nonetheless! I'll prob also watch more other games too, to see the depth of different clubs etc. Fun times ahead!

The AFL did us a favour by playing the Richmond game at Metricon. Richmond play the Gabba very well and would have smashed us there. Especially after a turn-around. This way, we have a slight chance of pulling off an upset

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hipwood has had 5 seasons and is still developing, these blokes haven’t had 5 minutes. Would think if they had as much time to develop they would be miles ahead of Eric.
Probably have a contested marking, goal kicking, beast by now!
Not sure what my post had to do with Hipwood. :huh:

If we can get out this next block of 5 games with 4 wins that would be an amazing result, 3 wins would be a pass mark for me, makes this Sunday nights game v the Demons coming off a normal type break between games extremely important.

Imagine 5 wins, would wrap up a top 4 spot and possibly top 2 with what should be 3-4 more games out of 5 remaining games at the Gabba on the run home.

I didn't attempt to get a ticket for this weeks game as I was not keen on the transport requirements to get there but with the option to drive the whole way and park($10 is a bargain) at the ground I will definitely try to get to one or both of the Bombers and Tigers games.

I'll be campaigning for 11 games in 2021, just to make it up.

They can play a Q-Clash down there.

That's crazy talk.

The entire 2021 season will be split between NZ, Tasmania and WA at this rate...

If we can get out this next block of 5 games with 4 wins that would be an amazing result, 3 wins would be a pass mark for me, makes this Sunday nights game v the Demons coming off a normal type break between games extremely important.

Imagine 5 wins, would wrap up a top 4 spot and possibly top 2 with what should be 3-4 more games out of 5 remaining games at the Gabba on the run home.

I didn't attempt to get a ticket for this weeks game as I was not keen on the transport requirements to get there but with the option to drive the whole way and park($10 is a bargain) at the ground I will definitely try to get to one or both of the Bombers and Tigers games.
The tickets that we got were only $30 too, which I thought was pretty good.

Yep that's it. Just hard yakka, keep trying to win one after another.
If we get out with 5/5 or 4/5, we're well set for the last phase.

That's crazy talk.

The entire 2021 season will be split between NZ, Tasmania and WA at this rate...

Or a purpose built bio-dome.

I could get slated for this but I would seriously consider playing all our 2nds in the Richmond game. Try to give our whole team that game off (or 19 of the 22). Keeps the A team in their normal cycle and gives our Bs an AFL game which they will be desperate for. Tell them to go into each contest as physical as possible.

Getting thrashed and losing a lot of percentage would be the risk.

Tom Morris is such a douche, saying Brisbane are the big winners of rounds 9-12 on Fox's OTC.

He obviously highlighted Gold Coast for playing four straight in Queensland, but to actually just throw that line away goes to show how little dick's like him even scrutinise the draw.

And muppets like him are getting paid for this sh*t. :rolleyes:

That's like saying Richmond has three games in Geelong and that's an advantage over playing at the MCG...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back