Analysis Season 2020 - What should the season look like now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Thought I would create a discussion thread about how season 2020 looks.

It is inevitable that season 2020 won't go ahead in its current 22 rounds kicking off next Thursday.

At this stage and I say this in a very preliminary sense, is that I think the season will reduced, not started late and finish late, given ground availability etc..

Of course there is so much water to go under the bridge as we just don't know how COVID-19 is going to impact the world, but I'm thinking a season comprising 17 rounds (play every one once) or even 18 rounds (with a rival round) could work. The only problem is that fixturing isn't done like it used to be where all teams would play each other once in rounds 1-17 and then the five return games in rounds 18-22, so it may not be as simple as that.

What are your thoughts?

Thought I would create a discussion thread about how season 2020 looks.

It is inevitable that season 2020 won't go ahead in its current 22 rounds kicking off next Thursday.

At this stage and I say this in a very preliminary sense, is that I think the season will reduced, not started late and finish late, given ground availability etc..

Of course there is so much water to go under the bridge as we just don't know how COVID-19 is going to impact the world, but I'm thinking a season comprising 17 rounds (play every one once) or even 18 rounds (with a rival round) could work. The only problem is that fixturing isn't done like it used to be where all teams would play each other once in rounds 1-17 and then the five return games in rounds 18-22, so it may not be as simple as that.

What are your thoughts?

Yep, every team playing each other once would be the fairest. Given there's enough time to get that full season in like that of course. No givens at this stage, who knows how this will all pan out.

No bye rounds. Each team plays half their games at home and half away. Richmond plays every game at the MCG.

It'll be delayed 4-6 weeks. Definitely not starting next weekend.
Depends. If government health advisors are predicting the peak some time in May (I haven’t heard if it’s late or early May), I can’t see games going ahead until well after the peak.

Not until we’re over the other side and at the bottom of the bell curve.

If the games go ahead there is almost no doubt that our first few games at least will be played in front of no spectators, home games v North, Pies, Swans crowd number = 0.

It will be a strange/eerie feeling watching games on TV with no crowd noise.

Have a crack at a normal season with no crowds. Once we lose a month or so then cancel the rest. It'll be too compromised.

Is this the year they raise the draft age? Will trade time happen? Will contract terms be extended by one season.

We still have lots to chat about

Would be the perfect opportunity to raise the draft age.

Draft this year would only be mature agers based off last years draft order.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As in cancel the whole 2020 season?:oops:

Yep. Coronavirus won't be any less common in July than April so the threat will still be there.

Plus the fixture, training, etc. will all be compromised. Any premiership will have an asterisk next to it.

Haha Morrison is weak.

They will implement the new mass gatherings rules/laws as of Monday.

These are unprecedented times we find ourselves in requiring drastic action..... next week.

Listened to a few experts on the ABC today, general consensus I took away was most think that hours matter in terms of implementing these measures.

Time will tell I guess.

Discussion on SEN in the last 30 minutes or so, is that the word is the AFL will postpone the start of the season for 4 weeks and then reconsider the position after that.

Personally I'd favour that course of action even if after 4 weeks it (playing footy) stays non-viable and the season has to be called off completely

The thought of games being played in empty stadiums for weeks on end is just wrong to me.

The game is all about the atmosphere generated by the spectators.

No spectators at a game of AFL footy would turn a bad situation into bizarro world.

Robbo from 360 on Twitter

"if postponed catch-up options include playing matches during the week, three matches in two weeks and the season finishing in October. Also have bye rounds to use "

Discussion on SEN in the last 30 minutes or so, is that the word is the AFL will postpone the start of the season for 4 weeks and then reconsider the position after that.

Personally I'd favour that course of action even if after 4 weeks it (playing footy) stays non-viable and the season has to be called off completely

The thought of games being played in empty stadiums for weeks on end is just wrong to me.

The game is all about the atmosphere generated by the spectators.

No spectators at a game of AFL footy would turn a bad situation into bizarro world.

Agree with this

Interesting snippet

"
The AFL is preparing to reschedule all matches beyond round one, as it knows it will almost certainly have to indefinitely shut down its competition to deal with the Coronavirus outbreak.

There is an acceptance of the playing group that at least some matches will be shortened in length, and that team lists will need to be bolstered with players who are not currently listed.

Depending on player availability, some clubs might be forced to play several matches in relatively quick succession.

"

honestly I say they play the games as TV rights.. We all be home anyway.
Or maybe delay and play 3 games in 14 days or something

There was one article they said if they postponed games they would make they up by playing on Monday,Tuesday, and Wednesday nights.

will be a very strange year. What will be interesting is when the AFL decides a season is so compromised that a true premier cannot be determined. Say football can only start from August, do we start in August? Or a makeshift competition - perhaps a conference style round robin or something big-bash in nature competing for the corona cup and not the real cup. Some football > no football.

Gees, there’s some optimistic people here.

My guess is the season is canceled by Easter, and there’s no finals.

Once the epidemic is in full swing, it will be months and mid spring before we’re on the other side.
But I don’t want to Netflix and chill all footy season

Remove this Banner Ad

Back