Analysis Season 2020 - What should the season look like now?

Remove this Banner Ad

I hope not, and too much risk for AFL listed players who are being COVID tested twice a week, and subject to onerous AFL conditions. They won't be exposed to part time players who are probably working in the community and not under the same restrictions of the AFL listed players. IF SA and WA teams bring over their full playing list, we will play against those four teams plus the Suns, perhaps as curtain raisers.
You missed it mate.

I clearly said it was our academy team playing in the competition.

You missed it mate.

I clearly said it was our academy team playing in the competition.
Still hope not. The cost to manage something like that is probably a little extravagant given the financial hit the AFL & Clubs are dealing with right now. Its great to have footy back and I am more excited about the re-start than I ever thought I would however should the Academys have a mini competition & 1 or more contract the China Virus while playing in the competition, it wouldn't look good for the AFL overall.
For me, I just cant wait for the big boys to re-start and will keep my fingers crossed that this Virus doesn't come in and spoil it for us all. This season (should it play out in full) fascinates me and whoever wins the Granny thoroughly deserves all the spoils that come with winning a Grand Final. For people to say it will have an asterisk against the winning club is short sighted given what challenges they face to win it.

Still hope not. The cost to manage something like that is probably a little extravagant given the financial hit the AFL & Clubs are dealing with right now. Its great to have footy back and I am more excited about the re-start than I ever thought I would however should the Academys have a mini competition & 1 or more contract the China Virus while playing in the competition, it wouldn't look good for the AFL overall.
For me, I just cant wait for the big boys to re-start and will keep my fingers crossed that this Virus doesn't come in and spoil it for us all. This season (should it play out in full) fascinates me and whoever wins the Granny thoroughly deserves all the spoils that come with winning a Grand Final. For people to say it will have an asterisk against the winning club is short sighted given what challenges they face to win it.
My guess is there are 40 odd academy boys who disagree with you.

The costs are what? Training, and transport to Aspley, Redlands and the Gold Coast.

The club won’t be running the NEAFL, so that’s not a cost the club has to manage either.

There’s genuine concern the NAB league and U18 Championships won’t happen.

The WAFL and SANFL are going ahead, so the top kids there will get a run.

Private school footy will happen in Victoria, and this is having a negative impact on the NAB league, is it can’t run until after private school footy has finished.

State boarders staying closed, and then year 12 school exams are impacting on the ability for a national championships to be held as well.

My guess is there are 40 odd academy boys who disagree with you.

The costs are what? Training, and transport to Aspley, Redlands and the Gold Coast.

The club won’t be running the NEAFL, so that’s not a cost the club has to manage either.

There’s genuine concern the NAB league and U18 Championships won’t happen.

The WAFL and SANFL are going ahead, so the top kids there will get a run.

Private school footy will happen in Victoria, and this is having a negative impact on the NAB league, is it can’t run until after private school footy has finished.

State boarders staying closed, and then year 12 school exams are impacting on the ability for a national championships to be held as well.

My guess is there are 40 odd academy boys who disagree with you. Stating the obvious here arent you? They are playing the wrong sport if they dont dis-agree with my opinion.

The costs are what? Training, and transport to Aspley, Redlands and the Gold Coast. If you have been involved in running a footy club you would know the costs involved. They are much much more than you mention & probably think.

The club won’t be running the NEAFL, so that’s not a cost the club has to manage either. Club/AFL!!! Its not relevant to me...they are costs to the game which has taken a massive hit financially.

There’s genuine concern the NAB league and U18 Championships won’t happen.I share that concern. What's happened to footy overall is unbelievable.

The WAFL and SANFL are going ahead, so the top kids there will get a run. Awesome. I sincerely hope it all goes well.

Private school footy will happen in Victoria, and this is having a negative impact on the NAB league, is it can’t run until after private school footy has finished.:thumbsu:

State boarders staying closed, and then year 12 school exams are impacting on the ability for a national championships to be held as well. Agree 100%

If you read the interviews with our academy kids on AFL Draft Central, they all say they want to play.

Nope haven’t been involved in running a club. But it’s our academy. We have everything in place, it will possibly be a 5 team, home and away season, so 8 rounds.

Obviously if AFLQ, the NEAFL and the AFL have been been in discussion, and this is the proposed format, then my guess is the funding is there.

We’re getting close to Zero cases here in QLD. Currently 13 active cases, 4 in hospital, 1 in ICU.

I believe it was August for the proposed kick off. If we keep tracking as we are, fair chance there won’t any virus in QLD.

My guess is there are 40 odd academy boys who disagree with you. Stating the obvious here arent you? They are playing the wrong sport if they dont dis-agree with my opinion.

The costs are what? Training, and transport to Aspley, Redlands and the Gold Coast. If you have been involved in running a footy club you would know the costs involved. They are much much more than you mention & probably think.

The club won’t be running the NEAFL, so that’s not a cost the club has to manage either. Club/AFL!!! Its not relevant to me...they are costs to the game which has taken a massive hit financially.

There’s genuine concern the NAB league and U18 Championships won’t happen.I share that concern. What's happened to footy overall is unbelievable.

The WAFL and SANFL are going ahead, so the top kids there will get a run. Awesome. I sincerely hope it all goes well.

Private school footy will happen in Victoria, and this is having a negative impact on the NAB league, is it can’t run until after private school footy has finished.:thumbsu:

State boarders staying closed, and then year 12 school exams are impacting on the ability for a national championships to be held as well. Agree 100%

Still hope not. The cost to manage something like that is probably a little extravagant given the financial hit the AFL & Clubs are dealing with right now.
Yet the AFLW will still go ahead, a competition that is the single biggest thing to suck money out if the game,

I’m all for it if it can pay for itself and stand on its own two feet, but a miracle would have to occur for that to happen.

That's a bit like saying you should sell off any investment because it's not paying its way immediately.

The idea of AFLW, much like the Suns, is to expand the supporter base going forward with the benefits to alternate revenue streams coming in the future.

narr there's still an advantage, its home. Teams learn the angles.. even stuff like markers in the stands, wind, conditions.. its obviously not as pronounced - but we will still be better at the Gabba than away, you watch.
I wish our players would learn the wind of the north east side of the ground.

Richmond appear to know it better than our players.

That's a bit like saying you should sell off any investment because it's not paying its way immediately.

The idea of AFLW, much like the Suns, is to expand the supporter base going forward with the benefits to alternate revenue streams coming in the future.
Personally, I don't see how the AFLW has expanded the supporter base; the majority were already fans of the game anyway. Sure people may be going to AFLW games, but would they if they have to fork out the same admission prices. And don't get me started on AFLW ratings; there is a reason they are never disclosed because they make for truly embarrassing reading.

The whole AFLW competition and its structure is flawed anyway. They shouldn't have been aligned with existing AFL clubs and should've been stand alone teams, capped at about 8 teams with actual AFLW grade players on a list.

I probably shouldn't say anymore.

But then, Richmond are just better than us at this point in time.
I was sitting up on the North wing for the final versus Richmond. We would have kicked 4 or 5 points from inside 50 on that wing. Each time we kicked for Goal, we kicked pretty straight, not counting for the strong wind that night, only to watch the wind carry the ball through for a point.

Where as Richmond didn’t miss from the same area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Personally, I don't see how the AFLW has expanded the supporter base; the majority were already fans of the game anyway. Sure people may be going to AFLW games, but would they if they have to fork out the same admission prices. And don't get me started on AFLW ratings; there is a reason they are never disclosed because they make for truly embarrassing reading.

I don't think you understood my post. I agreed that there's no way AFLW is paying its way currently. Instead it's a way to ensure the AFL doesn't lose out on future generations to other sports as they develop viable women's competitions, along with the substantial percentage of the population that will follow those - especially once they reach a decent standard. Much like the Suns, hence the comparison there.

The whole AFLW competition and its structure is flawed anyway. They shouldn't have been aligned with existing AFL clubs and should've been stand alone teams, capped at about 8 teams with actual AFLW grade players on a list.

I agree - I didn't see the point in rushing the expansion of the competition to the degree it has been done.

I was sitting up on the North wing for the final versus Richmond. We would have kicked 4 or 5 points from inside 50 on that wing. Each time we kicked for Goal, we kicked pretty straight, not counting for the strong wind that night, only to watch the wind carry the ball through for a point.

Where as Richmond didn’t miss from the same area.
Set shot Kicking for goal was definitely a weakness for the team last year and it didn’t appear any better in round 1.
Except for Dan!

Last edited:
Some weird situation apparantly coming up where we are playing West Coast at Metricon in Round 2 but it is an Away game for both clubs, don't quite get how that works but ok...

Some weird situation apparantly coming up where we are playing West Coast at Metricon in Round 2 but it is an Away game for both clubs, don't quite get how that works but ok...
So in the Herald Sun it now says that we are playing Freo at the Gabba in Round 2 on the Saturday afternoon. Fixture will be released tomorrow.

Plans in place for a couple of months time to start with crowds of 5000 and gradually go up from there, if approved. Lots of logistics in place by the sounds of things, hoping to have a crowd of 30K at the GF.

We will be having triple headers on Sunday which is cool, also Thursday night games every week.

Paywall, sorry: https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/...l/news-story/3bcb90deebc63e9db5314acc13990619

Last edited:
AFL has stumbled upon the perfect fixture format, can we have this going forward post-Covid please?

Thursday night
Friday night
Saturday day-Saturday twilight-Saturday night (x2)
Sunday day-Sunday twilight-Sunday night

Simple, it is a home game for West Coast. It would be unfair for West Coast if it was a home game for them and played at the Gabba. Conversely, if we were the home team, obviously it'd be played at the Gabba.

Going 0-2 is going to be really awful for making finals but who knows, if we have a downward year and snag an extra high-end pick with an already talented young crop, it may be the catalyst for a powerhouse in the next few years.

Intriguing times for us.

Below from AFL site today

Thursday, June 11
Collingwood vs Richmond, MCG

Friday, June 12

Geelong vs Hawthorn

Saturday June 13
Brisbane vs Fremantle, Gabba
Carlton vs Melbourne, Marvel Stadium
Port Adelaide vs Adelaide, Adelaide Oval
Gold Coast vs West Coast, Metricon

Sunday, June 14
Sydney vs Essendon, SCG
GWS vs North Melbourne, Giants Stadium
St Kilda vs Western Bulldogs, Marvel Stadium

Below from AFL site today

Saturday June 13
Brisbane vs Fremantle, Gabba
The fixturing definitely changed. Two weeks ago, we were listed to play West Coast on the Friday night. No doubt, a bit of good old big Vic club / boys club BS lobbying sees four of the biggest Vic clubs now occupying the prime Thursday and Friday night slots. Typical. :rolleyes:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back