Analysis Season 2020 - What should the season look like now?

Remove this Banner Ad

Trips to Canberra, Ballarat, Geelong and Hobart in the last 6 weeks leading up to finals will be fun.
There‘s no goal posts in Hobart because company that takes down cricket sightscreens can’t fly in. Guess it could change, but might be no games in Hobart this year. Launceston more likely.

Great so what about keeping home games in Brisbane's pocket if crowds are allowed to come back...?
So what about us, when crowds are allowed back?
We only have a maximum of 9 home games this year and probably more likely 8 and we will have 4 gone already when there is no chance of crowds.
Surely these are rhetorical questions? We all know the standard of AFL decision making north of the Murray.

And if they do allow Limited fans they’ll be members who get the tickets. Figure it’ll be gold members allocated first for the first game, the silver etc

Away games in Melbourne would be great for our Melbourne base - silver lining.

Some Cheersquad members would get in so they can do banners for the games.

Just when will Gil and his earnest little team of wokies leave our bloody game alone.

Ooh Ooh I know why not 10min quarters. Even better, why not golden goal quarters. Why not run on deefence and attack teams like the NFL. Sponsored by you name it. Unlimited interchange but with strictly controlled ethnic and gender quotas. Including officials.

It's not THEIR game. It's our game. Leave the thing alone.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

I hope we get some Thursday and Friday night games. We were going to have a couple in the original draw.

Why are we playing 4 home games in a row? That is going to hurt big time later in the year when we have to travel to Marvel every week.
At the moment, interstate games are fly in on the day of the game.

I’d rather 4 home games in a row now, and hope things have eased a bit more by the time we start travelling.

GC travelling to Geelong round 5.

Also, if you haven’t seen it, watch the GC’s video parody of their fixture.

In the scheme of things we have done well. We really can't complain. Late cluster of away games with travel if there's crowds might sting - but if that's the case it means C-19 isva non-issue and crowds are back at the footy - so no one should be complaining if that scenario eventuates. All teams will take a hit in some form.

Not expecting too much from this year. Whatever we do, we'll improve on it next year when it resembles a normal year imo

This is my view. I felt like we were in for a tough year, probably miss finals. This was we get some games in and another year of devalopment - but it really doesen't matter too much of we stink it up. Keep one eye on next year. If we go great guns, all the better.

This is my view. I felt like we were in for a tough year, probably miss finals. This was we get some games in and another year of devalopment - but it really doesen't matter too much of we stink it up. Keep one eye on next year. If we go great guns, all the better.

If the hubs hang around for the next four week block I’ll be a bit more confident. The whimpy vic teams won’t be able to cope with having to sleep away from home and I expect rubbish performances to pop up all over the place for them.

We’ve been working on team/player resilience for a few years (it’s basically Fagan’s motto) so we won’t have as many head problems.

Anyone see Travis Auld of the AFL talking about integrity of the draw yet in the same breath saying that Richmond drew the short straw of having to face West Coast away on the Gold Coast.

The irony.:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really want both the club and the AFL to survive, but Man, I am finding it tough to get excited about the footy this year.
I am finding this season more exciting than usual now to be honest. We play everyone in the competition once makes it more even & with the unexpected travel & draw dependant on how we recover from this China Virus, it also adds the surprise factor that previous season's didn't have. I guess the main reason I am excited is because footy is back!!! Whoever wins the big dance will be a worthy winner with no asterisk what so ever...lets hope its the Lions. :brisbane:

Just when will Gil and his earnest little team of wokies leave our bloody game alone.

Ooh Ooh I know why not 10min quarters. Even better, why not golden goal quarters. Why not run on deefence and attack teams like the NFL. Sponsored by you name it. Unlimited interchange but with strictly controlled ethnic and gender quotas. Including officials.

It's not THEIR game. It's our game. Leave the thing alone.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk

Bit ridiculous mate equating shaving a couple of minutes off quarters with gender quotas, "woke"ness and lefties, give me a spell.

I am finding this season more exciting than usual now to be honest. We play everyone in the competition once makes it more even & with the unexpected travel & draw dependant on how we recover from this China Virus, it also adds the surprise factor that previous season's didn't have. I guess the main reason I am excited is because footy is back!!! Whoever wins the big dance will be a worthy winner with no asterisk what so ever...lets hope its the Lions. :brisbane:
No asterisk my arse.:rolleyes:

You can always find reasons to put an asterisk next to any season really. Any competition that has a fixture rather than a draw, has half the teams located in one city, and gives particular teams a guaranteed home or away grand final based on their geographic location is already compromised.

Bit ridiculous mate equating shaving a couple of minutes off quarters with gender quotas, "woke"ness and lefties, give me a spell.

The obvious corollary is that there needs to be 60 minute quarters, goosestepping officials, and a Nazi salute as the only allowed celebration after every goal.

You can always find reasons to put an asterisk next to any season really. Any competition that has a fixture rather than a draw, has half the teams located in one city, and gives particular teams a guaranteed home or away grand final based on their geographic location is already compromised.

Finding reasons to asterisk premierships is the entire point of the main board.

Instead of looking at things and trying to figure out all of the ways we have been hard done by, I think we have a great opportunity to get off to a good start here, I would rather start off with a run of home games than finish with one, the crowds scenario, so many ifs and buts involved there that I'll just wait for that to unfold.

3-2 would be a decent start, 4-1 would be brilliant.

While I agree, that who ever wins the comp will be worthy Winners this year.
If you listen to ANY media outlet out there at the moment, the words asterisk and question mark are brought up a hell of a lot.
So the fact that it is being spoken about in media circles And the general public, there will be a question mark on this season for eternity.

Last edited:
While I agree, that who ever wins the comp will be worthy Winners this year.
If you listen to ANY media outlet out there at the moment, the word asterisk is brought up a hell of a lot.
So the fact that it is being spoken about in media circles And the general public, there will be a question mark on this season for eternity.
I listen to Sen almost daily and agree that they say (obviously) this season is different to any other...nobody can argue that. BUT, just because its different, does it make it less credible given what the winning team has to do to win the premiership? I haven't heard them state that this season deserves an asterisk....all I hear is the excitement and discussion about what a challenge it is for all clubs to win the Grand Final. As was mentioned in a previous post, you can argue an asterisk to almost every season if you want critique them.....Richmond's run home in 2019 was farcical but there's no asterisk in season 2019.

There will definitely be talk for many years with regards to how this season was interrupted by this deadly virus however I doubt there will be talk about this season being less credible. If there is, I will be disappointed regardless of who wins it because its not warranted in my opinion.

I listen to Sen almost daily and agree that they say (obviously) this season is different to any other...nobody can argue that. BUT, just because its different, does it make it less credible given what the winning team has to do to win the premiership? I haven't heard them state that this season deserves an asterisk....all I hear is the excitement and discussion about what a challenge it is for all clubs to win the Grand Final. As was mentioned in a previous post, you can argue an asterisk to almost every season if you want critique them.....Richmond's run home in 2019 was farcical but there's no asterisk in season 2019.

There will definitely be talk for many years with regards to how this season was interrupted by this deadly virus however I doubt there will be talk about this season being less credible. If there is, I will be disappointed regardless of who wins it because its not warranted in my opinion.
You also talk about how exciting this season will be; are you serious?

Sure the footy is back, but you're lucky to find anyone to refer to it being exciting. People can't go to games and when watching it on TV, it couldn't be any further from being exciting. Did you honestly hear people after round one say how exciting the games were? I personally couldn't have been any more flat watching our insipid effort against Hawthorn even when we were pushing in the third quarter.

I look forward to the media / AFL telling us how excited we should be, but please, it couldn't be more fabricated if they tried.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back