Analysis Season 2020 - What should the season look like now?

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Let's win a final first before we chirp too loudly
Nobody is chirping loudly. Just tired of hearing that we need a power key forward to take marks & kick goals when its obviously not the teams game plan to do just that. If or when we do, it would probably be appropriate for us to try our 2 keys first & have our mids deliver the ball differently into the 50. That way our key forwards might be able to make a lead without the obvious congestion again caused by our game plan which doesn't allow them to move into space. At the end of the day, it's not relevant who kicks the goals as long as we kick more than our opposition...especially in finals. ;)

X AE A12

universalmagnetic
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Nobody is chirping loudly. Just tired of hearing that we need a power key forward to take marks & kick goals when its obviously not the teams game plan to do just that. If or when we do, it would probably be appropriate for us to try our 2 keys first & have our mids deliver the ball differently into the 50. That way our key forwards might be able to make a lead without the obvious congestion again caused by our game plan which doesn't allow them to move into space. At the end of the day, it's not relevant who kicks the goals as long as we kick more than our opposition...especially in finals. ;)
Consider stopping reading or ignoring those posts then because discussing the efficacy of our current fwd setup is a valid discussion. Even our current plan is not as one dimensional as you're stating, and Fagan very recently said we are trying to keep teams guessing and developing multiple avenues to goal. We have assets and attributes on our list at the least worth discussion, and if we are going to be successful will hold players to account as well as considering development and role dynamics. Critics can appreciate the current management of Fagan whilst still offering points for debate.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Consider stopping reading or ignoring those posts then because discussing the efficacy of our current fwd setup is a valid discussion. Even our current plan is not as one dimensional as you're stating, and Fagan very recently said we are trying to keep teams guessing and developing multiple avenues to goal. We have assets and attributes on our list at the least worth discussion, and if we are going to be successful will hold players to account as well as considering development and role dynamics. Critics can appreciate the current management of Fagan whilst still offering points for debate.
Hey X AE A12, with all due respects I'll read what I want to read & ignor what I want to ignor. I'm expressing an opinion just as much as you are. If you dont like the return serve or a different view on things, best try another place to express your footy wisdom. Most of my & several others posts express that we have a very different plan & strategy to score so be assured I'm not argueing that. The one plan that they dont have is the one you & some others want to have and thats a power forward. If you listen to Rayner's interview on SEN earlier this week, he says in plain language that they like playing the "territtory" game...that means moving the ball down the field, create a stoppage/contest, and then move it again until we get an opportunity to convert. Not a pretty or traditional way of playing but obviously effective.

X AE A12

universalmagnetic
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Hey X AE A12, with all due respects I'll read what I want to read & ignor what I want to ignor. I'm expressing an opinion just as much as you are. If you dont like the return serve or a different view on things, best try another place to express your footy wisdom. Most of my & several others posts express that we have a very different plan & strategy to score so be assured I'm not argueing that. The one plan that they dont have is the one you & some others want to have and thats a power forward. If you listen to Rayner's interview on SEN earlier this week, he says in plain language that they like playing the "territtory" game...that means moving the ball down the field, create a stoppage/contest, and then move it again until we get an opportunity to convert. Not a pretty or traditional way of playing but obviously effective.
Oh he said it in plain language did he, I'll have to check it out, I'm scratching my head over here

Your opinion has been that Fagan and Adcock know best and that this the end of the matter. My opinion is that it is not and that it's not good to shut the conversation down that way. You and others have made comments that people wishing to discuss it lack intelligence and I just felt like calling it out. This is my last post to that effect. Have a good day

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Oh he said it in plain language did he, I'll have to check it out, I'm scratching my head over here

Your opinion has been that Fagan and Adcock know best and that this the end of the matter. My opinion is that it is not and that it's not good to shut the conversation down that way. You and others have made comments that people wishing to discuss it lack intelligence and I just felt like calling it out. This is my last post to that effect. Have a good day
Never would I intentionally insult or dis-respect someones opinion on this forum. If I have come across as questioning your intelligence I apologize. This should be a forum for discussions and difference of opinion is common which should be allowed without insults.

X AE A12

universalmagnetic
Jun 13, 2020
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Never would I intentionally insult or dis-respect someones opinion on this forum. If I have come across as questioning your intelligence I apologize. This should be a forum for discussions and difference of opinion is common which should be allowed without insults.
Just a few posts ago you were saying another poster shouldn't comment as they don't know as well as Fagan and co. This is what I was referring to. I haven't taken anything you've said as insulting my intelligence. Trying to convince you that saying there is a plan and they know best is not much of an opinion appears fruitless

Sep 8, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Personally, I think the 'festival of footy' is overkill and again shows the AFL is pandering to the AFLPA for this need "to get games away". Sounds like there is no care for the quality of the game, provided there is quantity. But that's right, because the Big Bash does it (which I've not watched one single game), the AFL should do it as if there is some massive success to the secret of a glut of the same product, day after day after day.

Quite a few people I've spoken to have no desire to watch every game(s), every day for 20 days straight. I know I don't. A lot of people don't and many don't watch every game of every round, even if they're able to so now being afforded the opportunity to watch St Kilda play Sydney, North Melb v Melb etc on some random night throughout this 'festival' is certainly not going to provide enjoyment because we're stuck at home.

These condensed rounds are just stupid IMO and will only detract from what should be some good games of footy, but when your team is backing with 4 games in less than 2 weeks, don't tell me that is supposed to enjoyable or those games will be high quality spectacles particularly those 3 games across 8 days.

Bulldogs play 3 games in 11 days, whilst we play 4 games in 13 days. I'd be thinking it is quite exciting too if I was them; not so much for us.
Whilst I agree the Dogs don't have it as tough as us, I'm pretty sure it's 4 games in 14 days (not 13)

We play Dees on Sunday (then Bombers, Tigers) and finish the 14 day block with Dogs on a Saturday.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Just a few posts ago you were saying another poster shouldn't comment as they don't know as well as Fagan and co. This is what I was referring to. I haven't taken anything you've said as insulting my intelligence. Trying to convince you that saying there is a plan and they know best is not much of an opinion appears fruitless
Good post. Taken onboard. :thumbsu: Go Lions. :brisbane:

Whilst I agree the Dogs don't have it as tough as us, I'm pretty sure it's 4 games in 14 days (not 13)

We play Dees on Sunday (then Bombers, Tigers) and finish the 14 day block with Dogs on a Saturday.
Depends on which way you look at it?
From the Dees game we have a 5 day turnaround to the Bombers then a 4 day for Richmond and then a 4 Day For Doggies.
My math tells me 5 + 4 + 4 = 13
You can’t count the first Sunday.
If you count the North game as well, it is 5 games in 20 days

Last edited:

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
So this here suggest that Martin has stress fractureS in his back.
No wonder he was a bit sore.

Maybe a small thing, but not having his usual bed could've made the world of difference.

Whilst I've never had back issues, I travel a bit in my career, well I did prior to this year and there is a noticeable difference in how I sleep when I'm in my bed compared to hotels and you'd think for professional athletes, particularly for one as big as Stef, that their bed's are of huge importance with recovery etc.

I say all of this with absolute no knowledge of whether this contributed to his stress fractures or the ability to help with his rehabilitation whilst in Sydney.

Depends on which way you look at it?
From the Dees game we have a 5 day turnaround to the Bombers then a 4 day for Richmond and then a 4 Day For Doggies.
My math tells me 5 + 4 + 4 = 13
You can’t count the first Sunday.
If you count the North game as well, it is 5 games in 20 days

But you have to count the first Sunday. That's when the first game is played. If you don't count it, then it's three games in 13 days.

But you have to count the first Sunday. That's when the first game is played. If you don't count it, then it's three games in 13 days.
But I am born at 0, I am not born and already 1 day old.

In this case it's not 1 day until 24 hrs after the first game.

If someone was asking how many days after our first do we play our fourth, you are correct.

But if the terminology is "X games in Y days", then you need to include the day the first game was played on because otherwise you're excluding that first game as Ironmonger points out.

If someone was asking how many days after our first do we play our fourth, you are correct.

But if the terminology is "X games in Y days", then you need to include the day the first game was played on because otherwise you're excluding that first game as Ironmonger points out.

Yes.

But it would make no sense to say 'there have been no days in which I have been alive'.

Or if you ate a meal on your first day of birth, to say 'I have had one meal in zero days'.

M Malice

Hall of Famer
Aug 31, 2015
By the Gabba.
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Valleys. Chelsea.
giphy.gif

Yes.

But it would make no sense to say 'there have been no days in which I have been alive'.

Or if you ate a meal on your first day of birth, to say 'I have had one meal in zero days'.
It would be your 1st day on earth yes.
So you are hours old until you are actually 1 day old. Which is the next day.

ROOS SUFFER FIXTURE BLOW

North Melbourne has suffered a major blow after Tasmania announced it would not open its borders with Queensland in coming weeks.

Premier Peter Gutwein said Tasmania will have “safe travel bubbles’ with Western Australia, South Australia and Northern Territory in two weeks.

It means the fixtured Round 11 clash between North Melbourne and Melbourne at Blundstone Arena on August 9 will need to be moved, unless special exemptions are granted. The rules will come into place on August 7.

Back