Analysis Season 2020 - What should the season look like now?

Nov 26, 2018
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I wonder what type of money Stadium’s Queensland making from each match at the Gabba and Metricon (not sure if they manage Metricon).
Would not surprise me if they are not making money at all.
Tickets for Metricon are around the $30 mark so can't see them making money.
Not sure if the home game Club cops the loss or maybe it is subsidized via AFL & Qld Government.

4863 crowd number for Lions v Essendon game. The Essendon game definitely had a bigger crowd than the Melbourne game
I can only find two other crowd figures from the Lions games
800 v Geelong at SCG
10,161 v Port at Gabba
A little strange they are not releasing all crowd numbers

Link below for anyone interested in the other figures
Recent Optus & Adelaide Oval figures are included

briztoon

Wannabe Draft Nuffie
Nov 28, 2015
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
NUFC, Philadelphia 76'ers
Would not surprise me if they are not making money at all.
Tickets for Metricon are around the $30 mark so can't see them making money.
Not sure if the home game Club cops the loss or maybe it is subsidized via AFL & Qld Government.

4863 crowd number for Lions v Essendon game. The Essendon game definitely had a bigger crowd than the Melbourne game
I can only find two other crowd figures from the Lions games
800 v Geelong at SCG
10,161 v Port at Gabba
A little strange they are not releasing all crowd numbers

Link below for anyone interested in the other figures
Recent Optus & Adelaide Oval figures are included

The AFL will be paying Stadiums Queensland to use the Gabba. I have this memory from the Suns board, that the Suns own/manage Metricon.

What the AFL make from ticket sales will have no bearing on what they’re paying to use the Gabba.

Article in the courier mail says negotiations for having the grand final at the Gabba have begun. Being the home of afl 2020 means we are in the hot seat but also looking at SA and WA. Didn’t specifically say but I imagine they’ll get a decent whack of other finals games.

will be oct 17 or 24 at night to limit impact on horse racing events.

Looking to use the opportunity to grow the game in so I imagine the deal will involve grass root support funds from the state government. Or some such.

Vic government going to leverage draft and other events to be held in vic.

The dream - my lot and your lot in a packed Gabba going mental with one minute to go and the lions 21 points ahead of Richmond.

LionCub29

Senior List
Jul 30, 2017
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I’ve started working on my “work” exemption to travel to Queensland from WA for either 17 or 24 October. If we win the big dance, then the 14 days home iso (recuperation) afterwards would be needed anyway.

This last 3-4 weeks have been pure magic for our teams development because it is an almost perfectly designed training block. All training improvements come from progressive overload. Start with x load, increase by 10% for a number of sessions then pull back and rest to allow the muscles/aerobic/ to develop. This diagram shows the process. Overload can be by intensity or volume (eg gym = increase weight or reps) and applies across weeks, months, seasons...

During a season it looks different - it's maintenance and recovery, but finals teams include additional development block prior to September. Playing finals with their increased intensity also acts as a overload training block.

Up until the giants game we were cruising in normal season recovery/maintenance mode, then the dramatic increase the volume acts as progressive overload. Other teams have also had the increase in volume but longer breaks, byes and swapping more players means the overload is not as effective for some teams.

It is one of the reason we need a strong seconds competition and why our seconds players are struggling once they get a game - they have been left behind.

This week rest is supercritical, then we will see a big uplift in our performance. As long as injuries don't escalate this season is only going to get better for us

Simple periodisation image.png

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox

While the fixture for rounds 14-18 won't be finalised by the AFL until later this week, both the Swans and the Dockers have confirmed they will be situated in Cairns for their final four matches this season.

Sydney is yet to play Brisbane, Carlton, Geelong, Melbourne and Port Adelaide and could face any of those sides in Cairns.

Fair chance the Lions will be sent up to Cairns to face Sydney.

Fair chance the Lions will be sent up to Cairns to face Sydney.

The current fixture has us with 6 home games and 7 away games with four (and a bye) to come, so it should be 3-1 or 2-2... so fair chance we'll end up in Cairns as an "away" team as part of the AFL's continued efforts to get us to travel as much as they can within the season's constraints, given we've already played the SA hub teams (Port, Adelaide and Hawthorn). Unless we also end up in Darwin at some point...

The current fixture has us with 6 home games and 7 away games with four (and a bye) to come, so it should be 3-1 or 2-2... so fair chance we'll end up in Cairns as an "away" team as part of the AFL's continued efforts to get us to travel as much as they can within the season's constraints, given we've already played the SA hub teams (Port, Adelaide and Hawthorn). Unless we also end up in Darwin at some point...
I just hope we play Collingwood at the Gabba

I just realised there's a four day break between games.

I feel like the AFL missed a trick by not inserting an extra round, giving everyone a bye, and then telling them to stop complaining about injuries because they all had a midseason break.

(Also how does after all that Gold Coast only gets a four day break and gets stuck playing a home game in Darwin? Edit: they'll have played five games in a period where Richmond has only played three, and neither had a bye!)

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I've been thinking, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire finals series were hosted in Queensland and the AFL would make us play our home final/s at Metricon to shut everyone up about us being the only team with an actual home ground advantage.

I've been thinking, I wouldn't be surprised if the entire finals series were hosted in Queensland and the AFL would make us play our home final/s at Metricon to shut everyone up about us being the only team with an actual home ground advantage.
I reckon if Port get home finals they will be played in Adelaide.
And the teams based in other States ie NSW, VIC or WA will get a choice for their home games if they earn them? Out of AO, Metricon or the Gabba.
West Coast if they earn a first final might be able to play it in WA.

Lion_LegacyXL

Club Legend
Aug 22, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I reckon if Port get home finals they will be played in Adelaide.
And the teams based in other States ie NSW, VIC or WA will get a choice for their home games if they earn them? Out of AO, Metricon or the Gabba.
West Coast if they earn a first final might be able to play it in WA.
That makes the most sense but feel like the AFL might not want teams to travel interstate and quarantine in the middle of a finals series, seems more of a headache to organise a week in advance.

Jan 13, 2016
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Metricon is a crap ground to watch footy at. Sun in your eyes and the majority of the game is played on the corporates/members side and you can't see a thing. Every time I watch a game there I swear it will be the last time then dementia sets in and 12 months later I have a ground hog day experience again.

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
I don't think that is the case at all.

The AFL has always been a commercially driven organisation and they will play games in the stadium that gets the most numbers through with the biggest capacity, which is why they stage most finals in Melbourne at the MCG and not Docklands Stadium, a stadium they own.

I have no doubt that any final involving Brisbane will be at the Gabba, unless Port are the higher ranked team (GF aside) and it will be at Adelaide Oval. It seems as though no finals games will be played in WA.

Jan 9, 2019
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
I don't think that is the case at all.

The AFL has always been a commercially driven organisation and they will play games in the stadium that gets the most numbers through with the biggest capacity, which is why they stage most finals in Melbourne at the MCG and not Docklands Stadium, a stadium they own.

I have no doubt that any final involving Brisbane will be at the Gabba, unless Port are the higher ranked team (GF aside) and it will be at Adelaide Oval. It seems as though no finals games will be played in WA.
Further to that, If we finish the season in the top 4, we are entitled to a home final. To play that home final anywhere other than the Gabba would be a farce considering the history of other clubs in the past down south having that same advantage. I am sure we will get finals at the Gabba this year.

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
I really hope Queensland does get the Grand Final. It really will cap off a terrific year for Queensland footy on field in 2020 with both the Lions and Suns (all be it not getting wins however remaining in the hunt and most fans new 'second team'.

It looks like if it is held in Queensland it will be at the Gabba. The new facilities should be ready- they were aimed to be ready by 18th of October for the start of the T20 World Cup. Hoping that the main broadcasters are able to get up to Queensland for the big dance to really boost the coverage being on location in Queensland. The Grand Final week leading into the GF at the Gabba looks like it will be massive. It is a once in a life time event- the Grand Final outside of Victoria and quite possibly a Grand Final where the Lions might feature. There are three teams currently one, two and four on the live ladder all interstate teams who have a real chance of featuring in the Grand Final.

Interestingly, there has been a Vic vs 'interstate' Grand Final every year since 2012 (only the Swans 2012 and Eagles 2018 have gotten up). This is such a unique chance for something special really to celebrate Queensland and Queensland Football. I can't wait to see what the entertainment will be like. Hopefully it pays tribute to Queensland footy and could act as a rehearsal for the Olympics Opening Ceremony in 2032! Tony Cochrane is head of the 'bid' and they are presenting to the AFL on Tuesday before the decision. Tony apparently has all the entertainment planned out and he has some really good contacts in that area- he has won a Tony Award for his work with the Hairspray musical.

I am really hoping they could use some of these 'Queensland' songs in the entertainment. It would be terrific!

Metricon is a terrible stadium. Absolutely god awful for watching footy.
Even getting to it is a nightmare, and it is in the middle of an absolute shithole.
Getting there isn't ideal however once you are there it is a ripper of a stadium. Not a bad seat in the house. Players and fans love the con!

The Victorian

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 23, 2018
Victoria
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Storm, Western Utd
Could even have a GF Parade through the streets.....make a real big deal leading up to it.
People down here in Vic say there is no chance BUT the situation is very different in Queensland then it is down here in Victoria.

Yes, there has been a few cases up in Queensland but the authorities appear to know where it is coming from AND there is still two months until the Grand Final.

I am confident there could be a parade especially seeing that they could be in cars and not have any interactions to supporters

Dylan12

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 7, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Chelsea, Boston Red Sox
Tom Morris reporting on the First Crack that some clubs are already telling uncontracted players to start looking elsewhere as list sizes are going to be reduced to 38 + 2 rookies for a list size of 40 players in 2021.

Given we have 47 on our list (40 + 7 rookies) that is a fair reduction of our current list accounting for bringing in say 2-3 in the draft, so that is approximately 10 players from our current list that won't be with us next year. Where it gets confusing is that some clubs may have players contracted that will be forced out and probably paid out.

Of our 11 uncontracted players (Christensen, Martin, Birchall, Allison, Cox, Skinner, Hinge, Wooller, Lester, Corey Lyons and Eagles) the three bolded players are likely to be re-contracted with Lester being the most certain. Someone mentioned on another thread that Birchall activated an automatic extension and as for Martin, who knows). I'd hate for Cox to be delisted, but I can't see him being retained given he hasn't played since last year, let alone being named an emergency once in 2020.

If in the event payouts are permitted, you'd think guys on the least amount may be in trouble and those extra 2-4 players will come from Joyce, Mathieson, Ballenden, Smith, Madden and possibly Prior given how late he was taken last year.

Back