SEASON 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
As season 2020 approaches in a growing competition, it's also important to bolster the numbers of umpires we have in the competition. Whilst at AFL level the umpires are sometimes seen as the punching bags, the great thing about Yarra Valley footy is that we have a great relationship with the clubs and most of us have been around that long we're all pretty much well known to each other! We have umpires male / female, young / old in all 3 disciplines. We have had many past players previously and always welcome more. Some players have had niggling injuries where the body can't cope with a contact sport but they still want to keep some form of involvement in the game. Others may have family / friends thinking about taking up umpiring as well. We have a new look website which contains lots of valuable information regarding what happens behind the scenes, what is involved with training and how to join.

Opportunities exist for field, boundary, goal and junior umpires.

We just want to create some awareness and spread the word to keep our numbers thriving and do our part to help keep AFLOE successful...

https://yarrarangesumpires.com.au/

We all know about Woori’s outs but they have also a few coming in. Not the same calibre Though.

Mate from Upwey are saying they will be big improvers.

Think we will be very surprised by the ins at Woori. They have lost some talent no doubt but the replacements are more than capable. Once again they will be very competitive and thereabouts - typical of Woori!

Upwey Tecoma have recruited very well - great coach and some excellent top line players. They will be a contender.

Think we will be very surprised by the ins at Woori. They have lost some talent no doubt but the replacements are more than capable. Once again they will be very competitive and thereabouts - typical of Woori!

Upwey Tecoma have recruited very well - great coach and some excellent top line players. They will be a contender.
Upwey will not be a contender, will finish anywhere from 5th - 8th.

Put simply, Upwey will not.

Anyone heard how Thornton are travelling for numbers
Let's hope they can get have a successful season, as I think it's their 100th year
Any practice matches for teams locked in?

Sad news for Thornton Eildon
They still have a womens team which is great so let's hope everyone gets behind them and they are back in 2021 as the league needs the Kangas

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Story in the Leader paper about MtEvelyn going with a young developing squad this season.
Code for no cash maybe?

Well done to everyone involved with the valley vicious charity game on Saturday fantastic effort by all of the players in both games community spirit was on show and hopefully great $$$$ raised for Retts Syndrome
Good to hear Shaun Smith is on the mend as well

The Valley Vicious day was fantastic. Well done to Lee Lawrence, Dean De Munk and all involved. Great turn out and fantastic support from all the clubs. The monies raised will hopefully assist in finding a cure for such a rare disease! 👏

Is one round of home and away matches enough for a season? Maybe a final five in each division to compensate for a shorter season?

We would need to be underway by mid July though, unless you were able to sneak in some midweek matches in lieu of training sessions - the thought of a derby night on a Wednesday night sounds interesting and would be likely to draw in a few neutrals to the match but logistically would be tough to schedule in the other grades.

Last edited:
I must admit that I like Russell Bennett's work. I have read some very thought provoking articles from him over the years.

Given we aren't having a full season, what do people think of the regional idea as a one off in 2020 if we are able to get on?

I must admit that I like Russell Bennett's work. I have read some very thought provoking articles from him over the years.

Given we aren't having a full season, what do people think of the regional idea as a one off in 2020 if we are able to get on?

Is interesting that" if "we were able to start playing July 1 and play 5 Wednesday and 13 Saturdays you would have 18 rounds and could play finals in October.Would only effect a small number of cricket venues that the finals are played on and with cricket they can get around that by perhaps restructuring the draw and even play some games on a Sunday as well.As for playing Wednesday night games it puts a lot of pressure on the older senior players and perhaps you could restrict reserves to 9 games similar to U19's.Highly unlikely this would happen and reduced number of games is the best option and play finals in October.Personally I think the longer we go not playing the best call is do not play at all as playing could put huge pressure on club's finances with some sponsors also struggling to keep a float to.BUT if we can play July/Aug I would like to see our juniors on the park for say 8 rounds or so,these kids are our future.Good to see the Outer East are looking at all options as we are all missing our footy at the moment.

The League have been really pro-active in looking at any possible scenario and consulting clubs about this. The clubs had to respond by April 14 and by April 17 the general public was being informed of these results by the League which is really transparent. If football is possible in 2020 I think our League will be as prepared as any to face whatever season is available.

The problem won't be administrative or logistical as the clubs and the League all appear to be on the same page. The problem will be in having enough time to complete a meaningful season.

The date that was mentioned in the media release is to be up and running by late June. On the news tonight the AFL is still making arrangements for hubs, isolation etc to get a competition going by late July/early August (Jeff Kennett's words). That competition would then run to Christmas with no crowds. Without being able to implement similar measures at our level then I think late June seems highly unlikely that we would be ready six weeks before the AFL.

If the AFL don't think they would be going until possibly early August then I think local footy without those measures would be at least another month behind - which would be September or even later to start our practice matches. It would be hard to fit a season of sorts in unless we also played until November/December utilizing grounds that are not used for cricket.

The question then would be whether it is feasible and whether clubs would do it. If the AFL can't have crowds, how would local footy accommodate this? Without crowds there is no income so how do trainers, umpires and fees (providing footballs etc) get paid if some clubs may lose the one or two major sponsors that they rely upon. The salary cap is being reduced by 50% which was supported by all clubs, and of those clubs 88% want further cuts into the future - this shows that all clubs will have financial issues. This will also ultimately benefit clubs with large populations who don't need to induce players to join. Under that proviso umpires payments would also have to halve. With 15% potential unemployment it may be easier to find umpires but the quality may be questionable.

The Andrews government has been possibly the strongest in terms of shutting things down. On May 11 they will probably allow fishing, golf etc to resume. I don't think they will be lifting social distancing so contact sports are unlikely to be given the all clear. Considering how few new cases are appearing it will probably be safe to start doing it but both State and Federal governments are being overly cautious.

I like the optimism and preparedness of our League but State laws will more than likely wipe out the season.

Coming out of a global shutdown will likely take years for the economy to recover from.

The age of entitlement is over and hopefully people realise what football means to them and more will do it on a voluntary basis again for the love of the game. If you can be at a game then time is not the issue, so why ask for money unless they are legitimate reimbursements.

Do we honestly think we’ll get a season this year? We’d all love to see local footy up and running again, but unfortunately I can’t see this season happening.
If they did push the season out to a later finish (late Oct/mid Nov), does that mean next season starts late? Or keep the same start date with a lesser break between seasons?

Do we honestly think we’ll get a season this year? We’d all love to see local footy up and running again, but unfortunately I can’t see this season happening.
If they did push the season out to a later finish (late Oct/mid Nov), does that mean next season starts late? Or keep the same start date with a lesser break between seasons?
Yes and lesser break

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back