- Sep 25, 2019
- AFL Club
What was good enough?For me a very disappointing season.
16th is just not good enough.
We won 5 games:
2. North Melbourne.
4. Greater Western Sydney.
Not a single win against a Finals bound team.
74 our highest score of the year. Eight games less than 50. And these stats sum up for me the core problem – we just don’t score enough and so can’t put teams away.
We look so much better when we play fast attacking football yet too often we don’t play that way.
As for the players:
1. Chad Warner. Initially I liked what I saw but for me not really given a chance. Retain but I’m not convinced.
2. Kaiden Brand. No opinion. The reality with list sizes to be decreased is we will likely delist (I’ll say) 8 players. Sadly I say Delist #1.
3. Dylan Stephens. I think he’ll make it. Prone to a lack of awareness and turning the ball over which worries me. Retain.
4. Ryan Clarke. Seems to have found a tagging role. Always tries hard. Not best 22 but Retain.
5. Isaac Heeney. Clearly a big loss. Has struggled with injuries for a while (remember the glandular fever?) so hopefully cherry ripe for Round 1. Retain.
6. Jackson Thurlow. Don’t mind him. Need defensive depth. Would like to see his big kick more. Retain.
7. Harry Cunningham. Have liked his role this year. Think he’s a smart defender. Retain.
8. James Rowbottom. Super year, very much a breakthrough. Needs a haircut. Retain.
9. Will Hayward. Very frustrating player. Like very much what he can bring but consistency a problem. Retain.
10. Sam Naismith. The reality is he just can’t get his body right. We are a much better team when he’s out there but sadly it’s not often enough. The ruck department is a problem for us that needs to be fixed as a priority. Sorry, Delist #2.
11. Tom Papley. Always dangerous. The heartbeat of the team. Retain.
12. Josh Kennedy. Done more than enough so that it is he that dictates when he goes. Retain.
13. Oliver Florent. See Will Hayward. Retain.
14. Callum Mills. Fine player, much better down back when he’s sweeping up. Retain.
15. Sam Gray. It hasn’t worked unfortunately. Delist #3.
16. Zac Foot. I liked what I saw and am surprised we didn’t see more. Retain.
17. Will Gould. I was really looking forward to seeing him. I always like a country boy straight off the farm. Clearly needs to work on some things pre-season. Retain.
18. Callum Sinclair. Does frustrate me – often feels he holds up play when we are in the ascendency. I prefer him as a Forward/Ruck. Tries his guts out. Retain.
19. Matthew Ling. I very much liked what I saw. Disappointed we didn’t see more. Retain.
20. Sam Reid. Yes he frustrates but I think our forward line needs him. Retain.
21. Jack Maibaum. Sadly another year where we haven’t seen him. Sorry, Delist #4.
22. Nick Blakey. I think one more pre-season and we’ll have a very good player on our hands. Retain.
23. Lance Franklin. If he plays most of next season we will be around the 8. He’s still just that important. Retain.
24. Dane Rampe. Missed him. Worry how much he’s got left in the tank. Retain.
25. Ben Ronke. Perhaps that Hawthorn game was the worst thing that could have happened for him. Seems to have body issues. One more year. Retain.
26. Luke Parker. Terrific season, B&F beckons. Retain.
27. Justin McInerney. Looks the goods. Retain.
28. Lewis Taylor. See Sam Gray. Delist #5.
29. George Hewett. Important player, much missed. Retain.
30. Tom McCartin. Forward or Back? Nice problem to have. Retain.
31. Harry Reynolds. Just hasn’t happened. Delist #6.
32. James Bell. I’m not convinced but in front of others in the delist race. Retain.
33. Ryley Stoddart. I just never felt quite good enough. Sorry, Delist #7.
34. Jordan Dawson. Super player. Retain.
35. Barry O’Connor. No comment. Retain.
36. Aliir Aliir. Another frustrating player. I think best as a defender/ruck pinch hitter. Retain.
37. Elijah Taylor. Sadly not a football question now and unfortunately I think will be Delist #8.
38. Colin O’Riordan. Not best 22 but good depth. Retain.
39. Brady Rowles. No comment. Retain.
41. Hayden McLean. Liked what I saw but needs to get more into games. Retain.
42. Robbie Fox. Breakout year. Retain.
43. Lewis Melican. Another frustrating one for me. Retain.
44. Jake Lloyd. Lucky to have him. Retain.
45. Sam Wicks. Liked what I saw. Retain.
46. Joel Amartey. I thought he showed something. Retain.
48. Michael Knoll. Need ruck depth. Retain.
Early call for 2021: 8-12.
We win today and are 14th.
Don't capitulate against Carlton and we are 11th.
Don't have an awful start against Essendon and we are 10th.
So, if we came 10th (which is just papering cracks over) you would be happy with the teams performance?
Ladder position is a dumb metric unless you are going for a premiership.