Autopsy Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Troystenvic

Premiership Player
Apr 13, 2014
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
That's was a strange old year. Fingers crossed we never see another one like it.

What did you like?

What didn't you like?

I liked the effort that such a young side gave week in week out. We were never belted.

I liked that our game style changed. we used the middle so much more and played with freedom for the most part.

The future is seemingly bright.

The only thing I didn't like is coming on the board and reading threads where posters are having a go and eachother.

It's good to have differing opinions but it's not ok to have a sook when other posters don't agree with what you say and have a go at them for it.

We are here to follow the Swans and not beat our chests and massage our egos

I think footy was boring this season but we were one of the more entertaining sides at times

I think the list is in ok shape but many who think he just roll them out for a year and two and become premier are barking up the wrong tree

Jmac and rowbottom impressed me concerned with guys like Blakey Florent Hayward

Interesting off season, good spirit but work to be done and some passengers to go

Who knows what footy looks like next year

Aliir, Fox, McCartin, Hayward, all players who’ve been given different roles at times or throughout this year and risen to the occasion, we’ll done.

Effort most weeks but sill finished 3rd bottom

Mccartin and J mac

florent and Blakey poor
Blakey improved as the season went and he spent more time in the middle imo

Weird year all right. We finished 16th, but I have a really good feeling about where we are in relation to the future.

We've blooded a lot of kids and given them a taste of AFL footy.

Positives - Justin McInerney has almost been our "recruit of the year". His one game last year didn't even hint at what he will offer us for the future.
Tom McCartin is going to be one hell of a player too - wherever they decide to play him. He stood toe to toe with an absolute monster forward in Tom Hawkins today and by the end of the match was probably winning that battle with a couple of big contested marks.
James Rowbottom had an awesome year and is one to watch for the future for sure.

Then there were a bunch of players that had some absolute mares mixed with some good form. Fortunately most of them seem to be "back on track". Will Hayward, Nick Blakey, Aliir Aliir, Lewis Melican, Callum Mills and Jordan Dawson all had some miserable and forgettable days but managed to claw some good and promising form back by the end of the season and their good days were all good enough to get excited by.

Then there were the evergreens such as Dane Rampe, Luke Parker and Jake Lloyd who just deliver almost every single time.

I have commented many times on just how much I loved watching Robbie Fox this year , who was given a role that perhaps he wasn't physically designed for (giving away a lot of kgs and cms in defence, but rarely had his colours lowered and the little 1 per centers he delivered are a joy to watch. I hope he gets a new contract as he is a more than capable depth player.

Callum Sinclair is a true Blood. He always has a real crack , even when he can hardly move. I have no doubt about his commitment to the jumper whenever he runs out for us. Would love to see him have the luxury of a proper sized ruck back up.

Heeney and Hewitt were big outs and the fact that we are still competitive without them is a big credit to out depth. Oh that L Franklin guy goes all right too.

Papley had a few bad weeks but was generally outstanding and his effort can never be questioned. JPK is in the twilight of his career but probably still has enough in the tank to offer us something important - perhaps in a permanent forward role. Cunningham had one of his most consistent years ever.

I regularly read some frustration at Sam Reid and Ollie Florent, but I personally have faith that we should stick with both of them as their best adds something to the team balance. Another frustrating player to watch early was Ryan Clarke but I think he has improved a lot and shown full commitment to his role and has quietly become a first 22 player. Jackson Thurlow did what he was asked to do as well and probably deserves another year, but might be unlucky if list numbers have to be reduced.

As far as the new players go, Stephens looks a keeper and has quickly fit in. Wicks hasn't quite given us too much on the scoreboard yet, but he has a bit of "Jude Bolton" in him as a tackling forward. McClean,Warner, Foot, Amartey, Ling - it is hard to tell based upon such a small sample of games. I have a feeling the club sees something in Bell that they want to persevere with.

Gray, Taylor, Brand didn't really end up as intended and I have no idea how we go forward with any of them. I will be thrilled if they do managed to give us something in the future. Stoddart probably won't get a new contract.

Overall as painful as it was to watch games like the loss the Bombers, I loved our efforts against the Cats and the Pies and enjoyed the wins against the Hawk, Kangaroos, Demons and Giants.

Onwards to 2021 and c'arn the Swannies.

Last edited:
Florent showed signs, at his best he us our best midfielder by far, at worst he is our worst player by far.
I hope he puts more good games next year.

Excited for 2021.
Last week, we had a chance in last quarter to beat Brisbane (playing for top 2), today it took Geelong (playing for top 4) to the last quarter to take the lead) - the blood spirit is alive and well
our young bloods: Rowbottom, McCartin, McInerney, Blakey and Stephens have played another season (and Dawson)
Papley will learn to play as small forward rather than try to out mark 2 tall defenders, and not to do try too much
Aliir perhaps to be forward/ruckman
Fox has found a spot in our backline
Lance, Rampe, Heeney, Hewitt to come back after long term injury
Pick 3, Braden Campbell, plus Gulden

Longmire had the young Bloods playing attacking footy through the centre
swans 2020 hub.jpg
PS. Where is Lance?
PPS. Would hate to be a coach to have tell some of players that they will be delisted

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Finished the second half of the season very strongly.

Defence looked solid. McCartin, Melican & Fox have all cemented themselves in our back 6.

Midfield has some positive signs but ultimately looks shallow. Draft should help fix that.

Team is playing the best football it has for years, it'll click soon enough.

Ultimately the future looks bright. Still need a ruck and more midfield depth but we should be able to solve 1 part of the that

I think there’s a heap to like about our prospects.
Applying the “normal year” standards, I’d say it’s the end of the line for Grey, Ronke, Stoddart, Thurlow, and either Melican or Brand.

Of the rookies Amartey, Reynolds and Rowles.

We have serious depth now. We’re competitive with the top clubs without Naismith, Franklin, Heeney, Rampe, and Hewett. Those are serious outs.

We do need another tap ruckman. I think Naismith is amongst the best but we need another.

Excited for 2021.
Last week, we had a chance in last quarter to beat Brisbane (playing for top 2), today it took Geelong (playing for top 4) to the last quarter to take the lead) - the blood spirit is alive and well
our young bloods: Rowbottom, McCartin, McInerney, Blakey and Stephens have played another season (and Dawson)
Papley will learn to play as small forward rather than try to out mark 2 tall defenders, and not to do try too much
Aliir perhaps to be forward/ruckman
Fox has found a spot in our backline
Lance, Rampe, Heeney, Hewitt to come back after long term injury
Pick 3, Braden Campbell, plus Gulden

Longmire had the young Bloods playing attacking footy through the centre
View attachment 966273
PS. Where is Lance?
PPS. Would hate to be a coach to have tell some of players that they will be delisted

Lay off the beers Gould!!

For me a very disappointing season.

16th is just not good enough.

We won 5 games:

1. Adelaide.
2. North Melbourne.
3. Hawthorn.
4. Greater Western Sydney.
5. Melbourne.

Not a single win against a Finals bound team.

74 our highest score of the year. Eight games less than 50. And these stats sum up for me the core problem – we just don’t score enough and so can’t put teams away.

We look so much better when we play fast attacking football yet too often we don’t play that way.

As for the players:

1. Chad Warner. Initially I liked what I saw but for me not really given a chance. Retain but I’m not convinced.
2. Kaiden Brand. No opinion. The reality with list sizes to be decreased is we will likely delist (I’ll say) 8 players. Sadly I say Delist #1.
3. Dylan Stephens. I think he’ll make it. Prone to a lack of awareness and turning the ball over which worries me. Retain.
4. Ryan Clarke. Seems to have found a tagging role. Always tries hard. Not best 22 but Retain.
5. Isaac Heeney. Clearly a big loss. Has struggled with injuries for a while (remember the glandular fever?) so hopefully cherry ripe for Round 1. Retain.
6. Jackson Thurlow. Don’t mind him. Need defensive depth. Would like to see his big kick more. Retain.
7. Harry Cunningham. Have liked his role this year. Think he’s a smart defender. Retain.
8. James Rowbottom. Super year, very much a breakthrough. Needs a haircut. Retain.
9. Will Hayward. Very frustrating player. Like very much what he can bring but consistency a problem. Retain.
10. Sam Naismith. The reality is he just can’t get his body right. We are a much better team when he’s out there but sadly it’s not often enough. The ruck department is a problem for us that needs to be fixed as a priority. Sorry, Delist #2.
11. Tom Papley. Always dangerous. The heartbeat of the team. Retain.
12. Josh Kennedy. Done more than enough so that it is he that dictates when he goes. Retain.
13. Oliver Florent. See Will Hayward. Retain.
14. Callum Mills. Fine player, much better down back when he’s sweeping up. Retain.
15. Sam Gray. It hasn’t worked unfortunately. Delist #3.
16. Zac Foot. I liked what I saw and am surprised we didn’t see more. Retain.
17. Will Gould. I was really looking forward to seeing him. I always like a country boy straight off the farm. Clearly needs to work on some things pre-season. Retain.
18. Callum Sinclair. Does frustrate me – often feels he holds up play when we are in the ascendency. I prefer him as a Forward/Ruck. Tries his guts out. Retain.
19. Matthew Ling. I very much liked what I saw. Disappointed we didn’t see more. Retain.
20. Sam Reid. Yes he frustrates but I think our forward line needs him. Retain.
21. Jack Maibaum. Sadly another year where we haven’t seen him. Sorry, Delist #4.
22. Nick Blakey. I think one more pre-season and we’ll have a very good player on our hands. Retain.
23. Lance Franklin. If he plays most of next season we will be around the 8. He’s still just that important. Retain.
24. Dane Rampe. Missed him. Worry how much he’s got left in the tank. Retain.
25. Ben Ronke. Perhaps that Hawthorn game was the worst thing that could have happened for him. Seems to have body issues. One more year. Retain.
26. Luke Parker. Terrific season, B&F beckons. Retain.
27. Justin McInerney. Looks the goods. Retain.
28. Lewis Taylor. See Sam Gray. Delist #5.
29. George Hewett. Important player, much missed. Retain.
30. Tom McCartin. Forward or Back? Nice problem to have. Retain.
31. Harry Reynolds. Just hasn’t happened. Delist #6.
32. James Bell. I’m not convinced but in front of others in the delist race. Retain.
33. Ryley Stoddart. I just never felt quite good enough. Sorry, Delist #7.
34. Jordan Dawson. Super player. Retain.
35. Barry O’Connor. No comment. Retain.
36. Aliir Aliir. Another frustrating player. I think best as a defender/ruck pinch hitter. Retain.
37. Elijah Taylor. Sadly not a football question now and unfortunately I think will be Delist #8.
38. Colin O’Riordan. Not best 22 but good depth. Retain.
39. Brady Rowles. No comment. Retain.
41. Hayden McLean. Liked what I saw but needs to get more into games. Retain.
42. Robbie Fox. Breakout year. Retain.
43. Lewis Melican. Another frustrating one for me. Retain.
44. Jake Lloyd. Lucky to have him. Retain.
45. Sam Wicks. Liked what I saw. Retain.
46. Joel Amartey. I thought he showed something. Retain.
48. Michael Knoll. Need ruck depth. Retain.

Early call for 2021: 8-12.

For me a very disappointing season.

16th is just not good enough.

We won 5 games:

1. Adelaide.
2. North Melbourne.
3. Hawthorn.
4. Greater Western Sydney.
5. Melbourne.

Not a single win against a Finals bound team.

74 our highest score of the year. Eight games less than 50. And these stats sum up for me the core problem – we just don’t score enough and so can’t put teams away.

We look so much better when we play fast attacking football yet too often we don’t play that way.

As for the players:

1. Chad Warner. Initially I liked what I saw but for me not really given a chance. Retain but I’m not convinced.
2. Kaiden Brand. No opinion. The reality with list sizes to be decreased is we will likely delist (I’ll say) 8 players. Sadly I say Delist #1.
3. Dylan Stephens. I think he’ll make it. Prone to a lack of awareness and turning the ball over which worries me. Retain.
4. Ryan Clarke. Seems to have found a tagging role. Always tries hard. Not best 22 but Retain.
5. Isaac Heeney. Clearly a big loss. Has struggled with injuries for a while (remember the glandular fever?) so hopefully cherry ripe for Round 1. Retain.
6. Jackson Thurlow. Don’t mind him. Need defensive depth. Would like to see his big kick more. Retain.
7. Harry Cunningham. Have liked his role this year. Think he’s a smart defender. Retain.
8. James Rowbottom. Super year, very much a breakthrough. Needs a haircut. Retain.
9. Will Hayward. Very frustrating player. Like very much what he can bring but consistency a problem. Retain.
10. Sam Naismith. The reality is he just can’t get his body right. We are a much better team when he’s out there but sadly it’s not often enough. The ruck department is a problem for us that needs to be fixed as a priority. Sorry, Delist #2.
11. Tom Papley. Always dangerous. The heartbeat of the team. Retain.
12. Josh Kennedy. Done more than enough so that it is he that dictates when he goes. Retain.
13. Oliver Florent. See Will Hayward. Retain.
14. Callum Mills. Fine player, much better down back when he’s sweeping up. Retain.
15. Sam Gray. It hasn’t worked unfortunately. Delist #3.
16. Zac Foot. I liked what I saw and am surprised we didn’t see more. Retain.
17. Will Gould. I was really looking forward to seeing him. I always like a country boy straight off the farm. Clearly needs to work on some things pre-season. Retain.
18. Callum Sinclair. Does frustrate me – often feels he holds up play when we are in the ascendency. I prefer him as a Forward/Ruck. Tries his guts out. Retain.
19. Matthew Ling. I very much liked what I saw. Disappointed we didn’t see more. Retain.
20. Sam Reid. Yes he frustrates but I think our forward line needs him. Retain.
21. Jack Maibaum. Sadly another year where we haven’t seen him. Sorry, Delist #4.
22. Nick Blakey. I think one more pre-season and we’ll have a very good player on our hands. Retain.
23. Lance Franklin. If he plays most of next season we will be around the 8. He’s still just that important. Retain.
24. Dane Rampe. Missed him. Worry how much he’s got left in the tank. Retain.
25. Ben Ronke. Perhaps that Hawthorn game was the worst thing that could have happened for him. Seems to have body issues. One more year. Retain.
26. Luke Parker. Terrific season, B&F beckons. Retain.
27. Justin McInerney. Looks the goods. Retain.
28. Lewis Taylor. See Sam Gray. Delist #5.
29. George Hewett. Important player, much missed. Retain.
30. Tom McCartin. Forward or Back? Nice problem to have. Retain.
31. Harry Reynolds. Just hasn’t happened. Delist #6.
32. James Bell. I’m not convinced but in front of others in the delist race. Retain.
33. Ryley Stoddart. I just never felt quite good enough. Sorry, Delist #7.
34. Jordan Dawson. Super player. Retain.
35. Barry O’Connor. No comment. Retain.
36. Aliir Aliir. Another frustrating player. I think best as a defender/ruck pinch hitter. Retain.
37. Elijah Taylor. Sadly not a football question now and unfortunately I think will be Delist #8.
38. Colin O’Riordan. Not best 22 but good depth. Retain.
39. Brady Rowles. No comment. Retain.
41. Hayden McLean. Liked what I saw but needs to get more into games. Retain.
42. Robbie Fox. Breakout year. Retain.
43. Lewis Melican. Another frustrating one for me. Retain.
44. Jake Lloyd. Lucky to have him. Retain.
45. Sam Wicks. Liked what I saw. Retain.
46. Joel Amartey. I thought he showed something. Retain.
48. Michael Knoll. Need ruck depth. Retain.

Early call for 2021: 8-12.

If your purely just looking at wins/losses then definitely its a poor season 5 wins is 5 wins no sugercoating it, but if you look deeper and you see the team we were putting out on the park its a pretty fair effort to be competitive for as long as we were.

That being said we cant finish bottom 4 again in 2021 need to start pushing back up the ladder.

If your purely just looking at wins/losses then definitely its a poor season 5 wins is 5 wins no sugercoating it, but if you look deeper and you see the team we were putting out on the park its a pretty fair effort to be competitive for as long as we were.

That being said we cant finish bottom 4 again in 2021 need to start pushing back up the ladder.
We aren't going to be climbing that high if we don't trade anyone in imo.
Still way to young of a team to be consistent.
If all we do in the off season is draft 3-4 more kids we'll probably end up with a similar season as the GCS.

It feels weird saying this given we have a 5-12 record and finished 16th but I am not unhappy with this season. We were competitive in most of our matches despite being one of the youngest teams in the league and I can't help but think guys like Rowbottom, McInenery, Blakey and Stephens all showed something to suggest they will all be good to very good players.

Also importantly I think Longmire changed this year, as we played a more open and attacking game style which I think worked well.

We have some massive holes in our list, but there is a lot to be happy about as well as you can easily imagine us pushing up the ladder again sooner rather than later, especially if we are able to plug some of those massive holes.

It's a weird one, 5 games is a pretty poor result yet I'm not disappointed with things. I think our kids are developing nicely, and despite being a fairly outgunned side in class I don't think we ever really gave up. Only one loss being by more than six goals (despite the shortened quarters) I think is a good sign. Bonus points for the wins against the Hawks and the Giants.

Inconsistency through games a bit of a killer, I guess it doesn't help that our sides were often very young and the style of footy they wanted to play couldn't be sustained for whole games.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back