Autopsy Season 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure if we can make finals next year but I think we should win more games
Beatson made a comment during the season that if we didn't have so many injuries we would have made finals. I have to agree with that. Assuming we keep the following fit for larger parts of the season those close losses start to become close wins.
-Naismith
-Heeney
-Buddy
-Rampe
-Hewitt
-Kennedy
-Mills
-Sinclair
-Reid

Beatson made a comment during the season that if we didn't have so many injuries we would have made finals. I have to agree with that. Assuming we keep the following fit for larger parts of the season those close losses start to become close wins.
-Naismith
-Heeney
-Buddy
-Rampe
-Hewitt
-Kennedy
-Mills
-Sinclair
-Reid
We will improve, but so will others.

Look at Freo - Cerra, Brayshaw, Serong .... if we had that emerging midfield, we’d be crowing about the prospect of Top 4.

Only Norf and Hawthorn are truly stuffed.

-Naismith
-Heeney
-Buddy
-Rampe
-Hewitt
-Kennedy
-Mills
-Sinclair
-Reid

Rampe kennedy mills Sinclair and Reid all played most of the season to be fair

-Naismith
-Heeney
-Buddy
-Rampe
-Hewitt
-Kennedy
-Mills
-Sinclair
-Reid

Every club has injuries... of course if we have our best list available we would have a good shot at making the finals. But history says we won't.

I get the reason why people are so frustrated with florent - a lot of it is his kicking when in space. it was always average at AFL level and is probably worse than that now.

but he doesnt shirk a contest, doesnt hide from the ball, takes it under pressure and is genuinely evasive and puts himself into positions to deliver the ball well. his movement creates opportunities for others around him.

We dont need them to be stars. we just need them to play their role when they are selected. for hayward that means kicking goals when he has a chance and stopping easy exists and occasionally when he plays a run with role as a forward he will be expected to halve contests in those situations.

with florent we just need him to continue to be evasive, win the ball when its a hard ball, tighten up defensively so his man doesnt get easy exits and kick to advantage when going forwards.

both can be 200 game players for us and provided they arent super expensive players they will be key contributors. you win with 26-30 afl standard players not 4 and they have to fit within a salary cap. the criticism our players receive is over the top because we are setting the bar too high.

they key is to have a team which is all improving at the same time and a game plan which plays to that teams strengths.

both hayward and florent have been victims of their own success. they both had ripping early seasons. florent used to get caught a lot with the ball (like stephens does now) but this very rarely happens now. you can see how he has adjusted to the pace of ther game but now just needs to balance when kicking. Hayward started kicking goals again this season that held him back last year. he just needs to turn some of his games into the 3 goal matches instead of the 1 goal and he's also there.

PS sick to death of the reid bashing. he has clearly been playing injured for a number of weeks as evidence by the massive padding on his ribs. He rarely gets outmarked. He provides a contest down the line, goes into the ruck and competes there and when we didnt have him our forward line was completely dysfunctional.

sure he's not a world beating centre half forward but he does a job. we just seem to want to beat up on our forwards repeatedly without acknowledging how much harder it is to play forward of the ball - mccartin has shown that playing behind the ball - when you dont have someone trying to block your run and grab your arm and push you off the line every single time - does free you up to fly for the ball.

i just wanted to make those points because i am a bit frustrated with the endless criticisms. we dont need any of them to be stars but wto have a team where everyone just does their job
Just love the Reid support. We will remember well, one by the name of "Reg" who came to Sydney as a young forward on draft day. Things were not happening and a wise old bird stuck him down back to really check him out. Never moved after that and became a much loved Swan who gave us so many fine games and endless intercept marks that saved us time after time. I firmly believe that Reid has the same ability after seeing him moved down back time after time in those game where his body was still working. Hopefully he is now retaining some semblance of fitness and whilst McCarten has shown great ability down back this year I think it augurs well for next year when we have the option of either working the defensive end when Buddy returns.
Melican has been impressive in the last few games. Mills, Rampe, Fox, Cunningham and Lloyd are standing firm to complete a solid back line.
But Oh!...our forward half. So many times in the last few games breaks in the midfield have seen out forward line with less people than the great sandy desert. Where did they go. Was it a case of over emphasis on our defence or lack of confidence in our ability to run forward as was the case with the McInerney classic goal.
We have heaps of speed on the outside now with McInerney, Blakey and Stephens to add to a centre line with speed to match Hill and Smith in the Hawks glory days. Admitted...a little less class at the moment but love the speed we can use so emphatically when experience is added.
So that leaved a ruckman. Is a "Buddy" like raid is on the cards????
St.Kilda took Hannebery and Jones, Why not target Marshall? Great Ruck?CHF in one fell swoop!!

Last edited:
-Naismith
-Heeney
-Buddy
-Rampe
-Hewitt
-Kennedy
-Mills
-Sinclair
-Reid

Naismith you can put a line across him
Buddy is who knows
Rampe gets odd injuries but genuinely durable
Hewitt just had major surgery on a back issue
Kennedy will be 33
Mills sure
Sinclair taken a absolute battering
Reid either plays a full season or he doesnt.
Heeney sure

I mean sure we MAY of made finals but the above are players which are genuinely in the rehab room more often than not.

To have all of the above players playing a full season is stars, galaxies and the damn milky way aligning.

Last edited:
All in all a good development year. We started off poorly with the kids playing just to get a kick and establish themselves. As the year went on and injuries happened we saw the young guys slowly develop an understanding of a game plan and what team work was required to be competitive.

Mc Cartin, Rowbottom, Macinerney, Florent, Blakey, Bell & Stephens all look long term players that will continue to develop.
We need Naismith or a top ruckman to service the midfield weekly to get the benefit of what this group can provide.
Horse has started the rebuild by first getting the backline to be a tight hard to score against group. Cunningham to the back pocket great move. Improved the attacking game after the Richmond debarcle.
All we need now is for the team to learn to win not just go close. Might just need one of those spiritred wins against a top opponent to open the flood gates.
Get our key injured players back next year and it could be very exciting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tim Watson is imo one of the biggest ******* douche bags in AFL media

Maybe, though he's always been pretty complimentary towards us in everything I've seen of him (which is admittedly not much.)

He took the exercise a lot more seriously than Spencer though.

Maybe, though he's always been pretty complimentary towards us in everything I've seen of him (which is admittedly not much.)

He took the exercise a lot more seriously than Spencer though.
Tim Watson actually answered the questions, Spencer made mediocre attempts at humour

Just love the Reid support. We will remember well, one by the name of "Reg" who came to Sydney as a young forward on draft day. Things were not happening and a wise old bird stuck him down back to really check him out. Never moved after that and became a much loved Swan who gave us so many fine games and endless intercept marks that saved us time after time. I firmly believe that Reid has the same ability after seeing him moved down back time after time in those game where his body was still working. Hopefully he is now retaining some semblance of fitness and whilst McCarten has shown great ability down back this year I think it augurs well for next year when we have the option of either working the defensive end when Buddy returns.
Melican has been impressive in the last few games. Mills, Rampe, Fox, Cunningham and Lloyd are standing firm to complete a solid back line.
But Oh!...our forward half. So many times in the last few games breaks in the midfield have seen out forward line with less people than the great sandy desert. Where did they go. Was it a case of over emphasis on our defence or lack of confidence in our ability to run forward as was the case with the McInerney classic goal.
We have heaps of speed on the outside now with McInerney, Blakey and Stephens to add to a centre line with speed to match Hill and Smith in the Hawks glory days. Admitted...a little less class at the moment but love the speed we can use so emphatically when experience is added.
So that leaved a ruckman. Is a "Buddy" like raid is on the cards????
St.Kilda took Hannebery and Jones, Why not target Marshall? Great Ruck?CHF in one fell swoop!!
I'm not one of those who smash Reid in here but I have to say that he only looked good in defence because he was a loose man and didn't have an opponent. Reg was different because he had to be accountable AND took the marks.

I delivered my assessment weeks ago.

Controversially,

THEY (many) NEED to hit the gym .......with HEAVY WEIGHTS!

Rowbum, Stephens, Florent, Blakey, McInnerney, Wicks, et al

HEAVY! Both to balance leg and upper body!

Bulk UP!

Also need a true professional sprint coach - even if iterant part time!

It is faster but more harder at the ball

Also powerful straight handballls not lolly popops!

Go the Swannies!
Agree.
It was awful seeing Gablett knock Stephens off the ball with a love tap.
More than just bulking up - balance is a big part of it. Note how often Papley rockets away from a contest because he kept his feet.
Watching the warmups where the bag man bumps them over the ball - hope they train harder than that!
Acceleration more important than top speed. First 5-10 metres are crucial. Again, see Papley.
McInerney seems to be building that way. Hope others do too.

Not gonna bother with those that barely played this year/likely to be cut as they didn't have a bearing on our 2020 season really. Also not gonna bother with blokes I've been pretty clear on.

Stephens - The first step - acclimatising to the physicality of the highest level - he passed with flying colours. Ran out games well, won plenty of the ball and showed great pressure. The next step - acclimatising to the pace of the game - will hopefully come.
Thurlow - Became a solid team player. Nothing remarkable but not much to lament either.

Cunningham - See above, albeit ultra reliable as a small defender.

Rowbottom - Said pre-season he will be our best player over the next decade, and I'm even more confident in making that call now. Maintain that he doesn't have a discernible weakness in his game. When it all comes together for him then he will be something else.

Hayward - I want to like him, but think his bad outweighs his good. Starting to think he's not gonna amount to much at all.

Papley - Think his head got in the way of his instincts in the second half of the year, but undoubtedly a gun. Hard to criticise him in what was a brilliant season for a small forward.

Florent - Like Hayward I'm starting to see too many flaws in his game emerging. Still has plenty going for him but not quite where we want him to be in his fourth year.

Mills - He's awesome!

Gray - A total disappointment.

Sinclair - Performed admirably as per and had some great showings around the ground, just very poor in ruck contests where we need him most.

Blakey - Despite his form woes in what was a challenging year I actually thought he took a giant step forward in his development. His best games this year were miles ahead of any of his best games in his first year, which proves he is capable of taking that next step. Always suspected he'd take longer than those he was drafted with.

Rampe - Just a man-crush that borders on me questioning my sexuality at this point tbh.

McInerney - Horse has handled his development very well. He & Stephens are living, breathing proof that dropping kids can actually be good for their development. They've come back better each time they've been dropped. McInerney suits our game plan and what we're trying to do perfectly.

L. Taylor - Lay off the KFC.

McCartin - He's a beast. Such a competitor that it was really just finding the role where that competitiveness would most allow him to shine. Bulldozing the bulldozing forwards of the game might just be that role.

Dawson - He's so good to watch at full flight. I still get frustrated that he can look a little laconic at times, but that probably comes with the territory of being a classy player who backs their skills in. Will be a top 5 player for us going forward.

Aliir - He had an up and down year but geez this guy can play. He can be so ******* good and that's actually most of the time, but when he's bad... oy vey.

COR - Stiff to be dropped I reckon. Honestly don't see much difference between he, Cunningham, Fox and Thurlow, but perhaps that's the problem?

McLean - For the record, I do not think this guy will be a star. At best I think he can be a Mumford-esque big man enforcer who is handy to the team but never more than player 18-22. Which still makes him worth keeping as he showed promising signs.

Fox - Bloody love him now, mainly because I just love seeing blokes save their careers through hard work and discipline. Has toe to match. Not a star but has become a player who you know what you will get.

Melican - Basically see above. Our defensive system from development to coaching to leadership is so first class that if you adhere to that system, you cannot fail. Melican is proof of this.

Lloyd - Favourite Swan in Rampe's absence and he delivered. Love him up the ground more where he plays with less panic and more confidence.

Wicks - Really liked this kid in the NEAFL last year. You just don't let hard working players with good skills like this go. I was already very buoyant about our youth, and uncovering guys like Wicks, McInerney and Stephens late in the year has been a massive bonus.
Reckon Hawwood will make you look like a fool (and you would be happy too(. All else i pretty much agree with.

For anyone interested, saw the total CBAs for the year doing the rounds on Twitter and they make for interesting reading:

B5B87DC5-A642-4A83-AB19-D7148A8489A1.jpeg

Still too much JPK & Parker in my opinion, not just because of my well-documented qualms with that duo, but in a year where we needed to be regenerating a lot, it was still the two veterans, and then 20% less was the next young Swan.

But I'm gonna defend Horse here because I genuinely don't know what other options he had when you look at those below them.

- Florent: was tracking very nicely, getting plenty of inside time, but in round 4, he started to drop off in form, and his CBAs generally reduced accordingly. So I think he forced Horse's hand by simply not performing at the level he needed to to stay in there full-time.

- Rowbottom: 50% CBAs for the year just furthers my belief he is not ready to lead the midfield, maybe next year with another pre-season in the gym under his belt, but he had no right to be as good as he was this year. To put it into perspective, other guys his age like Serong and Bailey Smith were over 60%.

- Hewett: Started the year barely seeing any midfield time, then appeared to be gradually being integrated back into a key role in there before getting injured right when he would've been well positioned to have a greater opportunity with JPK going down too.

- Papley: I get the logic of playing someone like Papley in the midfield. He provides a lot of zip and attacks the footy. But obviously he was our main forward all year so it's just not sustainable. I'm surprised he even had two games with such high midfield time.

- Blakey: Even when he went "inside" in the back half of the year, his numbers show he never truly went "inside". He was a wingman. Whether that's indicative of where Horse sees him playing out his career, or he just wanted to ease him into inside roles, who knows, but he clearly wasn't ready.

So all in all while I bang on about our midfield like a broken record, I will concede that Horse was dealing with a pretty shitty hand that included under-developed kids, unfortunately-timed injuries, players not grabbing their opportunities, and being needed elsewhere. And if I'm Horse, assessing all those options, I'm going with the two known entities as well.

For anyone interested, saw the total CBAs for the year doing the rounds on Twitter and they make for interesting reading:

View attachment 977827

Still too much JPK & Parker in my opinion, not just because of my well-documented qualms with that duo, but in a year where we needed to be regenerating a lot, it was still the two veterans, and then 20% less was the next young Swan.

But I'm gonna defend Horse here because I genuinely don't know what other options he had when you look at those below them.

- Florent: was tracking very nicely, getting plenty of inside time, but in round 4, he started to drop off in form, and his CBAs generally reduced accordingly. So I think he forced Horse's hand by simply not performing at the level he needed to to stay in there full-time.

- Rowbottom: 50% CBAs for the year just furthers my belief he is not ready to lead the midfield, maybe next year with another pre-season in the gym under his belt, but he had no right to be as good as he was this year. To put it into perspective, other guys his age like Serong and Bailey Smith were over 60%.

- Hewett: Started the year barely seeing any midfield time, then appeared to be gradually being integrated back into a key role in there before getting injured right when he would've been well positioned to have a greater opportunity with JPK going down too.

- Papley: I get the logic of playing someone like Papley in the midfield. He provides a lot of zip and attacks the footy. But obviously he was our main forward all year so it's just not sustainable. I'm surprised he even had two games with such high midfield time.

- Blakey: Even when he went "inside" in the back half of the year, his numbers show he never truly went "inside". He was a wingman. Whether that's indicative of where Horse sees him playing out his career, or he just wanted to ease him into inside roles, who knows, but he clearly wasn't ready.

So all in all while I bang on about our midfield like a broken record, I will concede that Horse was dealing with a pretty shitty hand that included under-developed kids, unfortunately-timed injuries, players not grabbing their opportunities, and being needed elsewhere. And if I'm Horse, assessing all those options, I'm going with the two known entities as well.
You can also see that at the beginning Horse was trying to get the younger blokes more invloved and the older blokes less involved, but by the end of the season is was just JPK and Parker in there all over again.
Probably a symptom of the younger blokes not standing up as much as Horse wanted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back