Universal Love Season 2021 15 wins 7 losses 120%

Remove this Banner Ad

Absolute incredible effort from the club
From seeing untapped potential in kids like jmac
To showing ultimate faith in mccartin and watching him flourish
To the draft masterclass we put on last year
To identifying hickey as a replacement
To getting buddy healthy enough to the point he is hitting his straps heading into the finals.

What an amazing job done by this great club. I could not be more proud to be associated with the Sydney swans football club

When you look at our number of wins,
only 2 wins away from top of the ladder
only out of top 4 on percentage
(likely) 4 wins ahead of the next team below us on the ladder
#ProudlySydney #GoBloods #Bloods

Boggles my mind we finished level with Bulldogs and Brisbane who're both highly fancied for the flag. And we got there beating top-8 sides which makes it a lot more interesting than being a flat track bully in my opinion.

I look forward to next week

love the fact those first three breathtaking games weren't a mirage ...
love errol the boy wizard and paddlepop lion tom, incredible first-year players who carved out their own roles ...
love that blakey found a role (hope he recovers well and comes back even better) ...
love that this team genuinely has other teams' fans drooling at the way we play football ...
love parker kicking for goal ...
love that franklin seems to absolutely love playing with this team ...
love that hewett, fox and cunningham are better than i ever gave them credit for ...
love that mills really is as good as he always promised to be ...
love the brash youth but cool composure of mcinerney, wicks, gulden, warner, campbell, et al ... they all know they're good, but they just seem to friggin love playing football together the way they do, and that makes them even better ...
love heeney ...
love what this team will learn from a finals experience way ahead of schedule ...
love wondering just how good this team could be over the next five years or so ...
This post times a hundred.

I’m just so stoked to be watching a Sydney Swans team that can hit targets.

Back in the Roos days when we’d grind out win after win with G & D, and everyone from the AFL CEO down was complaining about us playing “that rugby crap”, I used to always argue that if you want an aesthetically-pleasing physical spectacle, go to the ballet. The only object of a football team is to win matches.

And that still stands, but gee, if we go on to lift a premiership cup anytime soon while displaying some dazzling skills in the process, I sure won’t be complaining.

It really is great footy to watch. Would love to be on the end of some of those 50m stab passes.

I think Will Hayward has benefited the most from the improved delivery quality.

Back in the Roos days when we’d grind out win after win with G & D, and everyone from the AFL CEO down was complaining about us playing “that rugby crap”, I used to always argue that if you want an aesthetically-pleasing physical spectacle, go to the ballet. The only object of a football team is to win matches.

And that still stands, but gee, if we go on to lift a premiership cup anytime soon while displaying some dazzling skills in the process, I sure won’t be complaining.

this season is just the start

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometime around 2.00am I thought I was steady enough to scribble something out but no. I am not much better now.

In the face of tough times for so many people, the mighty Bloods have provided laughter at the audacity of the younger players and tears of unabashed joy at the way we play the game.

Every player on both the main and EAFL list as well as the various 'toppies' can proudly hold their heads high. The same goes for every employee and those that help around the Club wherever the season's magical mystery tour caravan has taken us.

Sometime around 2.00am I thought I was steady enough to scribble something out but no. I am not much better now.

In the face of tough times for so many people, the mighty Bloods have provided laughter at the audacity of the younger players and tears of unabashed joy at the way we play the game.

Every player on both the main and EAFL list as well as the various 'toppies' can proudly hold their heads high. The same goes for every employee and those that help around the Club wherever the season's magical mystery tour caravan has taken us.
Take care.

So much this.

There's nothing like watching them go coast to coast and hit target after target. Its a level of composure and and skill we've been striving for some time but haven't been able to nail.

I can't explain how much joy it gave me to sit in the crowd earlier this year and watch them play.

So have it boys, look the opposition in the eye and know you can match them. Know you can beat them. And know we'll be with you every step of the way!

A few years ago, I would watch Hawthorn games and be mesmerised by their accuracy, now it is us that is beguiling all and sundry with our own exquisite skills and it just makes me smile and feel so, so proud.

A few years ago, I would watch Hawthorn games and be mesmerised by their accuracy, now it is us that is beguiling all and sundry with our own exquisite skills and it just makes me smile and feel so, so proud.

It was hard going when you watch your team against that Hawthorn era, they didn’t give the ball back once they had it and set-up so well defensively that it always looked like you just gave to back it them through your own poor skill.

That is a lot like other teams supporters feel like playing us now, we don’t give the ball back easily.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

I like that no one really saw this season coming except the players and coaches themselves. I remember after the last match of last year, a lot of the boys were posting on Instagram and there were very obvious good vibes about their content. Lots of group pictures and compilations from the season. And that picture of the entire Swans staff and players in the rooms after that last match... it didn't feel like the club saw the conclusion to the year as the painful end to a miserable season where we finished bottom four, but more a celebration of what they'd achieved. Like despite only winning five matches, they saw the season as more of an accomplishment rather than a disappointment.

In that sense you could see they really decided to embrace it as a necessary building block towards something bigger. And then every interview over the pre-season saw a player or coach or official spinning that exact same sentiment.

The signs really were there. And if we weren't such cynical bastards, we might've believed them, and this year wouldn't have caught so many of us off guard!

F087CED7-7B27-42BD-8F53-90794C21BDB8.jpeg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back