Norm Smith Medallist
Jan 13, 2004
Bound for Germany 2006!
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Harry's Heroes
Hi Fellow Dogs Fans,

First, just wanted to say I hope you’re all ok, physically and mentally, during this very testing time.

The Coronavirus is a global issue affecting everyone, and my thoughts and best wishes go out to everyone and hopefully life can return to normal soon.

Secondly, it was during my own depression and consideration of a self imposed ban from Bigfooty, Facebook and other sites due to the whole situation that I had a light bulb moment.

The club at the moment is in excellent financial shape thanks to the superb work of the people in charge of our club in recent years.

However due to the current situation, this will be a tricky year for us and every club off the field.

So I thought, if members could pledge for Season 2021 to buy two memberships, it would be our way of saying to the club that we’ve got their back and also to help bounce back from this season.

Now, a quick disclaimer. I completely understand that buying two memberships is a big financial commitment, even in normal to good economic times, for a lot of people, and with what’s in store for society in the coming months, it would be a big ask and there may/will be other financial priorities.

So if you have a think about it and reckon that in Season 2021 you could commit to doing it, I’d strongly encourage you to do it.

Again, it would be our way of showing the club we love and support that we’ve got their back, and to help them bounce back from whatever may be in store this season.

So to get the ball rolling, I will pledge to buy 2 memberships in Season 2021.

Who wants to join me?

Not to be a party pooper but would rather donate a certian amount on top of the membership rather than an entite cost if that was possible, along with not refunding this years.

It'll be interesting to see how the club communicates with us on this matter. Naturally it'll depend on how things turn out - whether we actually get to attend games later in the year and in particular the extent of the financial impact on the club.

At one level (the legal one) this could be regarded as a consumer affairs matter between a vendor and a customer where the customer has rights to services they have paid for, or in default they have a right to a refund. However we all know we have a totally different relationship with this vendor to virtually every other vendor we deal with. It's not a straight-up commercial transaction. It's love, fierce loyalty and a way of life.

How should the club deal with that duality? All clubs could be in financial trouble so the AFL might decide to come up with some sort of bail-out package from consolidated revenue or even from borrowings. So it might not fall on the long-suffering members to stump up the entire shortfall.

The club certainly has the opportunity to benefit greatly from our emotional connection to the club. The risk is that if it takes that too much for granted it risks getting off-side with its support base. So I don't think it can simply say "if you want a refund please apply to the club". At least I hope they don't.

A more sensitive approach would be to outline where the club stands financially and come to the members with some options of what they would like back: (a) full refund (b) full refund of the imputed value of match attendance but retaining some funds (say 20%) for goods and services we have received, e.g. scarf, stickers, communications, discounts, etc, (c) 50% refund, implying we are giving them a donation of the other half, or (d) no refund at all, i.e. 100% donation (perhaps with the offer of some extra steak knives when we renew in 2021).

I'd be fine with option (d) and I'll worry about 2021 when it comes around. I certainly don't want to see club worthies rattling tins on Barkley Street again.

It all comes down to how much of a financial hole the clubs are in, and our club in particular. As a reference point the CEO of the NRL has already said this is going to be financially "catastrophic" for the NRL, who I'm guessing are not in quite as strong a position as the AFL.

And let's not forget that membership revenue is only a part of the problem. There are gate takings (at least from high attendance matches), a deal with the City of Ballarat over Mars stadium games, sponsors, merchandising etc. I'd expect we'd take some sort of a hit in most of those areas.

It's a huge problem and thousands of businesses in Australia will be going through similar anguish. I don't envy the club one bit trying to sort it out, so I'll be there to support them when the time comes.

Definitely happy to keep the 2020 membership. I previously had a membership for many years without attendance so no issues there. Will consider an additional membership or maybe a one of donation once the dust settles on everything. I'd be happy with contributing to some kind of fund/tax for those that have had/will have their livelihoods impacted by this also.

Virgin Dog

Cancelled
Oct 29, 2017
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Something I strongly recommend in the meantime, since this year is likely to be a financial struggle for many clubs, is to use the opportunity to replace all your merchandise. There is massive markup on AFL merchandise, so the margins are quite healthy. Buying yourself a new jumper, scarf and sticker for your car will go a long way

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 9, 2003
Skinner Reserve
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
For those who can afford to, it's also worth considering upgrading memberships for example to social club/premiership circle etc. Little additional cost to the club and hopefully could really pay off for you for GF access/seating.

My wife and I have level 1 reserved seats and social club memberships. Actually, we've had the same seats since 2000.
We still hope to be able to buy at least one extra membership next year (maybe a Backyard - or two?).
Given the positive financial state the club is enjoying, we're happy to do our little bit to keep it going as a thank you to
everyone at the club for all the hard work they've done off and on field. And to see us continue to prosper!

Of course, we've have also put in when the club has been in dire straits...

...and, no, we're not wealthy. Just life-long, committed Doggies!

Last edited:

Slack Nang

Senior List
Oct 12, 2016
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
CDFC
I am sorry I do not talk footy on a footy forum. I know it seems odd but the fact is I can not. Firstly I do not understand or care to understand the minutiae of every kick or handball of every game. I do not want to rank and rate the players, past and present on their deeds. they were better than us anyway

What I am is an unapologetic fan of this club. I love the hardcore nature but welcoming culture of our club. Other club fans envy us for what we do(according to my Richmond supporting mate) and I want to be a part of it

Sarah the cat, Oi Cat and myself look forward to being AFL and AFLW members in 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Back