Season 2021

Remove this Banner Ad

Yes that worked well didn't it.

I'm pretty sure that clubs or the league can't enforce this.

Of course they can’t. And they won’t even try as they know it’s pointless. If anybody is questioned they just say they’re going for a walk.

the only losers here are home clubs who can’t make any money.

Will be interesting to see what the league comes out with in relation to the fixture today.

Most leagues who had the same rule have gone and modified there fixtures accordingly to remove any perceived unfairness with equality of fixture

Do we think the league will do this?

Also hope everyone is doing ok in the badly affected flood and storm damaged areas 👍

Seems that some competitions are extending the H&A season by 2 weeks (to recover lost games) but shortening the finals series to a 2 week system - bit similar to cricket. e.g. 1v4 & 2v3 in week 1, GF in week 2.

Will be interesting to see what the league comes out with in relation to the fixture today.

Most leagues who had the same rule have gone and modified there fixtures accordingly to remove any perceived unfairness with equality of fixture

Do we think the league will do this?

Also hope everyone is doing ok in the badly affected flood and storm damaged areas 👍
Instead of worrying about fixture inequality or factoring for clubs to make up lost revenue through abandoned home fixtures the brains trust have looked after number one and expanded the finals to a system 6 ensuring they reap more gate takings. Genuinely tone deaf in there.

Instead of worrying about fixture inequality or factoring for clubs to make up lost revenue through abandoned home fixtures the brains trust have looked after number one and expanded the finals to a system 6 ensuring they reap more gate takings. Genuinely tone deaf in there.

Hey Noodles, can you expand on finals to a system 6, haven’t read anything about change to finals structure.

You would hope that equality of fixture would take precedence

Hey Noodles, can you expand on finals to a system 6, haven’t read anything about change to finals structure.

You would hope that equality of fixture would take precedence
Premier and First division have been changed to a final 6 as opposed to the usual final 5 that is the norm. It was sent in correspondence to all clubs this week. Equality of fixture was not mentioned. Only ones that benefit from an extra final in each division are the league who as we know take all gate takings from finals. Too bad if you have just missed playing the bottom two sides on the ladder or watched 2 home games evaporate along with the revenue associated with those games. Seriously the sooner people start to stand up to the almighty commission and start asking the right questions and seeking the proper outcomes for the good of ALL clubs, the better off everyone will be. It’s one debacle after another in there.

I haven't seen anything official on a Final 6 so I am guessing it is at a proposal stage and has been given to clubs for discussion.

The League have been in discussion with clubs all year in formulating Covid plans for any scenarios so if anything is adopted then I assume the clubs have been consulted and agreed to it. Everyone is hamstrung by the decisions that the Government makes and the rules we all have to abide by as a result. The League and clubs have to work around all of that and wrap up the season before cricket starts.

Looking at the ladders in Premier and Div 1, where 6 out of 9 teams will make the finals if the proposal is adopted, the sixth teams are both close to the 5th and would have an argument that they could be unlucky to miss out considering the games missed. In Premier Olinda (5th) would have faced Top 4 pair Pakky and Cranbourne in Rounds 6+7 while Woori in 6th would have had Upwey and a Bye. In 1st Div Emerald in 6th had a 100 point win over Seville in 5th, although there were also circumstances that no doubt affected Seville that week.

Interestingly the West Gippsland League, which I think is now under the Outer East umbrella but operating independently, have mentioned that their missed games are postponed so I assume they will be refixtured back in later in the year. They can also have 1000 spectators according to a comment on Facebook yet, if that is correct, I am sure there are suburban players there so that is just another inconsistency that the Government have created.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I haven't seen anything official on a Final 6 so I am guessing it is at a proposal stage and has been given to clubs for discussion.

The League have been in discussion with clubs all year in formulating Covid plans for any scenarios so if anything is adopted then I assume the clubs have been consulted and agreed to it. Everyone is hamstrung by the decisions that the Government makes and the rules we all have to abide by as a result. The League and clubs have to work around all of that and wrap up the season before cricket starts.

Looking at the ladders in Premier and Div 1, where 6 out of 9 teams will make the finals if the proposal is adopted, the sixth teams are both close to the 5th and would have an argument that they could be unlucky to miss out considering the games missed. In Premier Olinda (5th) would have faced Top 4 pair Pakky and Cranbourne in Rounds 6+7 while Woori in 6th would have had Upwey and a Bye. In 1st Div Emerald in 6th had a 100 point win over Seville in 5th, although there were also circumstances that no doubt affected Seville that week.

Interestingly the West Gippsland League, which I think is now under the Outer East umbrella but operating independently, have mentioned that their missed games are postponed so I assume they will be refixtured back in later in the year. They can also have 1000 spectators according to a comment on Facebook yet, if that is correct, I am sure there are suburban players there so that is just another inconsistency that the Government have created.
The final 6 in both top divisions are 100% happening. Take it to the bank.
whilst your above points are all valid they don’t cover the fact that lost home games for clubs equals lost revenue. Adding a finals game only benefits the league and host clubs, clubs were consulted at the start of the year about this exact predicament, at no point was a finals adjustment floated. Not once.

The final 6 in both top divisions are 100% happening. Take it to the bank.
whilst your above points are all valid they don’t cover the fact that lost home games for clubs equals lost revenue. Adding a finals game only benefits the league and host clubs, clubs were consulted at the start of the year about this exact predicament, at no point was a finals adjustment floated. Not once.

On the money with top 6 Noodles 👍👍

Not sure this is a good thing for the league overall but let’s wait and see.

At least common sense prevailed in Div 2 with fixture changing so that each team plays each other twice, at home and away.

Let’s hope we get some decent weather, some very heavy grounds around the valley at the moment.

Top 6 now for Division 2 as well. Why change from a top 5, which has been a clear top 5 all season. Draw is ok with each team playing everyone twice and only 1 team once which was to be round 13

Yarra Junction vs Alex
Yea vs Kinglake
Warby vs Yarra Glen
Broadford vs Powelltown

Junction are 2 games clear of Warby and 80% better off.

Last 3 games for
Junction are Yarra Glen (H), Kinglake (A) Yarra Glen (A)
Warby are Yea (H), Powelltown (H), Yea (A)

Give Warby 2 wins they have 5 wins for the season but still now play finals due to top 6 and will play either Kinglake or Powelltown in a knockout final.

If finals played now it would be

1. Kinglake vs 6.Warby
2. Powelltown vs 5. Yarra Junction
3. Alex vs 4. Yarra Glen.

Imagine, if seeds 4,5 and 6 happen to win, it would mean Powelltown and Alex as seeds 2 and 3 would be gone after 1 final, not sure that is far.

Interesting times

Top 6 now for Division 2 as well. Why change from a top 5, which has been a clear top 5 all season. Draw is ok with each team playing everyone twice and only 1 team once which was to be round 13

Yarra Junction vs Alex
Yea vs Kinglake
Warby vs Yarra Glen
Broadford vs Powelltown

Junction are 2 games clear of Warby and 80% better off.

Last 3 games for
Junction are Yarra Glen (H), Kinglake (A) Yarra Glen (A)
Warby are Yea (H), Powelltown (H), Yea (A)

Give Warby 2 wins they have 5 wins for the season but still now play finals due to top 6 and will play either Kinglake or Powelltown in a knockout final.

If finals played now it would be

1. Kinglake vs 6.Warby
2. Powelltown vs 5. Yarra Junction
3. Alex vs 4. Yarra Glen.

Imagine, if seeds 4,5 and 6 happen to win, it would mean Powelltown and Alex as seeds 2 and 3 would be gone after 1 final, not sure that is far.

Interesting times

I don’t think that’s how the finals system works.
By other my understanding with the other divisions it would be as followed.

1 & 2 week off

3 vs 6

4vs 5

I don’t think that’s how the finals system works.
By other my understanding with the other divisions it would be as followed.

1 & 2 week off

3 vs 6

4vs 5

Yes your correct on how it works. Massive advantage for the top two teams as they walk into a prelim so nothing is lost having a top 6.

Yes your correct on how it works. Massive advantage for the top two teams as they walk into a prelim so nothing is lost having a top 6.

Thanks for verifying. Had read on facebook finals were going to be like netball top 6 as in 1 v 6 2 v 5 3v4, 3 winners and highest placed loser go to prelim.

This way does seem fairer to top 2 teams to have a bye week one.

Thanks for verifying. Had read on facebook finals were going to be like netball top 6 as in 1 v 6 2 v 5 3v4, 3 winners and highest placed loser go to prelim.

This way does seem fairer to top 2 teams to have a bye week one.

Yeah they get a huge advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back