Strategy Season 2022- Defence

Remove this Banner Ad

I pondered in another thread if Jamaine Jones might be an option. With Willie back there is not an easily identified spot in the forward line for him. Jones has good pace, seems to be ok with body contact and has an outstanding ability to kick to leading players. Could he be worth a try?

I feel like there's more to come from Rotham. Very conservative with his kicking in general this season but I think he can definitely do better and take more risks with his kicks.

Weirdly, Rotham's skills also seem better when he takes the game on. It's usually the pointless chipping around the backline that he screws up somehow.

I pondered in another thread if Jamaine Jones might be an option. With Willie back there is not an easily identified spot in the forward line for him. Jones has good pace, seems to be ok with body contact and has an outstanding ability to kick to leading players. Could he be worth a try?
If he can get his body right it's worth a shot playing him up the ground. He has a lot of footy smarts. I'm hoping he gets another contract (would be crazy if he didn't).

On SM-G986B using BigFooty.com mobile app

Nelsen & Foley need to go, Barrass needs work on 1v1 defending. Rotham has poor disposal at times. Mcgovern has gone backwards, Sheppard is getting old. It's not looking good.

Really need a rebounding player with speed and skill and a lockdown defender that can play on talls and smalls

Foley needs to go? Naaaah.

Agree with the second paragraph.

IMO Ryan is the one I would be looking at for a backline role, could see him taking his game from 1.5 goals per game to Andrew McLeod level.

Nobody in the team comes close to his run and kicking

IMO Ryan is the one I would be looking at for a backline role, could see him taking his game from 1.5 goals per game to Andrew McLeod level.

Nobody in the team comes close to his run and kicking
Was actually thinking this myself. Bit of a left field call, but maybe he could be the Jetta replacement we need. It does feel a little like robbing Peter to pay Paul but with Jones and Rioli it could work. He definitely has the foot skills and dare to do it.

Jones to me is borderline AFL quality. He to me is a midfielder who isn't up to midfield at AFL level. At HF he can make an impact but he's a bottom 6 player. I also don't see the offensive kicking and quick thinking for defence as well as defending the play coming at him.

Rioli to me is the one who could play defence. Yes he would be a liability height wise but his footy IQ is off the charts and he sees the play coming before / as it happens so is already on the move and reacting and has the precision kicking to tear teams apart.

If Ryan can play more as a ground level forward (which he's ******* great at) rather than going for mark of the year along with say a significant improvement from either Petch or SPS and the forward line is set. Only have 3 marking targets unless on the fast break.

I'd go as far as to have Shep and Hurn as defensive backps.

FB McGovern Edwards Cole
HB Duggan Barrass Rioli

Rotham as seventh defender.
Gov to be the third tall.

Sort out our midfield to prevent the ball streaming in under no pressure and our backline sorts itself out. Gov will dominate once again if we can force the opposition to kick long high and rushed. He is a much less effective weapon, almost a liability, if the oppo can hit up short/medium passes to leading forwards all day long. He is not a 1 on 1 defender, never will be, he is an aerial beast that reads the flight better than anyone. Structure our game to allow him to do what he does best and he is one of the most valued assets in the league.
Bringing the ball out of defence also needs a change of mindset/gameplan. Using the kicking strengths of Witho and the run of Rotham, Duggan, Nelson, Cole et al. to break lines rather than the chippy chip chip and we will be a different team.
I dont see a need to throw the chess pieces around and use 2 of the most dangerous small forwards in the game as backmen. The opposition coaches would rub their hands together not having Ryan and Rioli running at the feet of Allan, JK (maybe) and JD. That is just a nightmare to match up on. You dont remove your biggest strength to address another deficiency elsewhere.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

My ideal backline for rd 1 2022:

B: Hurn, H Edwards, Witherdon
HB: Foley, Barrass, Duggan

Bench: Rotham
WAFL: McGovern, he can earn his way in playing well in WAFL if Barrass or H Edwards are playing crap. Sheppard is backup material now too, just provides nothing offensively

My ideal backline for rd 1 2022:

B: Hurn, H Edwards, Witherdon
HB: Foley, Barrass, Duggan

Bench: Rotham
WAFL: McGovern, he can earn his way in playing well in WAFL if Barrass or H Edwards are playing crap. Sheppard is backup material now too, just provides nothing offensively
Who will play on the small quick forwards? Who will provide the run and carry out of defence?

Not much speed in your backline. Cole is a lock in my opinion.

Ah yes, Tom "Dead last in the Grand Final sprint" Cole. Rotham can handle the small forwards.
Simmo tends to give Cole the small tricky forwards. It is not just straight line speed (going in a straight line is apparently all Rotham can do) - it is dodging and weaving in packs and through traffic plus knowing how to defend someone crumbing the pack. Not sure your boy Rotham has any clue as to what to do there.

My opinion here is heavily influenced by my Melbourne supporting wife's new found love of watching AFL. However, I think we could do a lot worse than emulating Melbourne's defence setup with 3 KPDs.

Lever = McGovern
May = Barass
Petty = Edwards
Hibberd = Hurn
Salem = Witherden / someone new / repurposed
Bowie = Cole
Rivers = Duggan

My opinion here is heavily influenced by my Melbourne supporting wife's new found love of watching AFL. However, I think we could do a lot worse than emulating Melbourne's defence setup with 3 KPDs.

Lever = McGovern
May = Barass
Petty = Edwards
Hibberd = Hurn
Salem = Witherden / someone new / repurposed
Bowie = Cole
Rivers = Duggan
Isn’t it basically our GF winning backline? So it’s not even copying Melbourne, but ourselves.

Lever = McGovern
May = Barrass
Petty = Schofield
Hibberd = Hurn
Salem = Jetta
Bowie = Cole
Rivers = Duggan

The only real difference I see is the level of pace and rebound Bowie/Rivers brings that Cole/Duggan don’t.

Isn’t it basically our GF winning backline? So it’s not even copying Melbourne, but ourselves.

Lever = McGovern
May = Barrass
Petty = Schofield
Hibberd = Hurn
Salem = Jetta
Bowie = Cole
Rivers = Duggan

The only real difference I see is the level of pace and rebound Bowie/Rivers brings that Cole/Duggan don’t.

Now that you mention it, yes it absolutely is. Jetta's replacement is still a glaring hole for us.

By the end of the year this should be our backline moving forward. No disrespect to Hurn and Shep, love them, but Hurn has got one more year and Shep possibly 2... so I'd like to see what the next iteration can do.

Foley Edwards Cole/Nelson
Barrass Gov Witherden
Duggan

I also really like Rotham but I can't see him fitting in unless Witho is out.
Rotham should play ahead of the older defenders. He’s the future and needs the experience pumped into him.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back