• John Longmire

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • Justin Longmuir

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Brett Ratten

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Am I missing something? why do people think Chris Scott is going to be sacked? is there any indication about at all? Is he even under pressure?

I'd take mark Neeld at this point. Sometimes a coach just stays too long and it gets to a point where you know they can't go any further.

Ken literally has at his disposal
- A stat wh*re with sh*t disposal
- A washed up midfielder on his last legs
- A has been who should've hung up the boots at the end of 2021
- The most overpaid player in the league who fluked 1 AA guernsey in a year where there was no one worthy of a AA Guernsey in his role
- A good 3rd tall defender
- top 2 wingman in the league (I dont even know how to re-word this, cause I have no ****ing clue who you're talking about as thinking anyone in your team fits this description is simply delusional)
- 3 inconsistent kids, 2 of which are unbearable fl*gs
- A backup ruckman who we're paying top dollar for.
FTFY
Thank your lucky stars you managed to get Schoefield into the club for that short period. You better hope that when you do sack Hinckley, he's still on the table. Otherwise, you'll be re-visiting the Primus years.

What I would say from most likely to least likely

Highly Likely to be sacked.

1. Stuart Dew - He's a dead man walking, with where they're at, it's finals or bust. If the AFL can get Clarkson up there, they will do all in their hands to manage it. Though, when you sit down and realise that was Gold Coast's 3rd best season behind 2013-14, maybe there is hope. They have the midfield talent to really cause problems. Piece everything around them better and they could really take another giant stride.

Likely to be sacked.

2. Brett Ratten - He was brought in to win now, and St Kilda seemed well poised at the time. But 2021 wasn't good enough and another year like that and he'll be on the hot-seat.

50/50 chance to be sacked.

3. Michael Voss - He shouldn't be here. I think he should be pretty safe. But there's massive cultural issues at Carlton. And anything less than .500 will have the board asking 'is Michael right for this job'. I would not at all be shocked if they push him out the door thinking they can get Clarko, then settle on Lyon as a fallback option. For real this time.

4. Adam Simpson - They've been in a downward spiral since 2018. And another step backwards could just be what it takes for the club to go for change. Should he be gone? Probably not, but West Coast has always been successful, and 2 of the 3 previous times the club missed finals for 2 straight years the coach left. The 3rd you ask? 2008-10. So when Worsfold was given the chance to rebuild the club after just winning a premiership. So that's the question we go with. If West Coast miss, does Simpson get sacked? If they do and he doesnt, that 2018 premiership is all that's keeping him in a job.

5. Justin Longmuir - Yes, Fremantle has arguably improved year-on-year for the last 5 years. But fact is, Longmuir took over a mid-table team and has done nothing with it. They're treading water. And Fremantle as a club has shown that they can be brutally ruthless at times. And when you look at it. Freo are in a similar position now to 2011 when they went behind Harvey's back to bring in Ross Lyon.

Unlikely to be sacked.

6. Matthew Nicks - Just like Michael Voss, I dont believe he should be this high up on the list. But it's more to do with the club. Adelaide has also been ruthless through their history. Pyke misses finals for 2 years - Sacked, Sanderson misses finals for 2 years - Sacked, Craig on track to miss finals for the 2nd straight year, told he wont have his contract renewed, steps aside. Ayres has 1 down year and told his contract wont be renewed, spat his dummy and walked, Shaw misses the finals for 2 straight years, sacked. The ONLY previous coach to miss finals 2 straight years and to live to see another day was Graham Cornes in 1993. But tbh, this is also the first rebuild Adelaide has undertaken and Nicks has rebuilt the culture and team to give a bright future. But a sub 9 win season? I would not be shocked if the club just hates the optics of being s**t and just sacks him hoping someone else can do better. Shouldnt, as the team is really young and is showing many great signs. But the results aren't there yet, and Adelaide is one of very few clubs I think who would be this cut-throat. Just havn't had much reach to be often.

Very unlikely to be sacked.

7. Chris Scott - Yes, he is successful. Yes he has held Geelong up at the upper echelons for a decade. But everyone knows this team is near the end and about to collapse, and when that happens, this club will go up in flames as much as the Hindenburg. And everyone knows it's Scott who's mortgaging the future for the now. The inevitable collapse is on him and his head will be on the chopping block when that time comes. I think they should get rid of him now as he cant take them to that next level. However, no club would sack him now. The first bottom 6 finish they have is when Geelong will probably bite the bullet. But by then the damage is done. Should go now imo, but wont.

8. Leon Cameron - At this point I feel I have to draw a bow. Yes, we know they're incapable, but how could a club on life support from the AFL justify sacking these coaches? There have been moments where we question if he even knows what he's doing, but the results have been there. Even with 1 bad year they wont get rid of him. They've only had 2 losing seasons under him in 7 years. Yes, he's had an abundance of talent at his disposal. I know, heck, must people reading this would know, he's not that good. But the results say otherwise (and yes, we know that's due to what he has, he should've done more) and that will keep him in the job.

9. David Noble - 8-12 is actually quite tight for me (13-18 are untouchable imo). And even though North looks like they're turning a corner, the other 4 at least have some runs on the board which will keep them in a job for 1 disaster year. But if North Melbourne go backwards again? Then you ask questions. It is unlikely he'll go and it'll take a Neeld like season to see it. But I wouldn't rule it out.

10. John Longmire - Let me just say, this isn't a sacking. What I feel here is a John Worsfold type feel to the situation. Enters the league, goes great, wins that premiership, goes through a rebuild, gets back near the top. But that 1 down season can just make him go, hey Pykey, the team's yours as he feels there might not be much left to accomplish.

11. Chris Fagan - Yes, he rebuilt the club, yes, they're coming off 3 straight top 4 finishes, but 2 straight sets finishes? As much as Port fans are pissed at Hinckley, at least he got you to Prelims. Would you rather lose to Geelong then lose the semi final? If Fagan managed this at a ruthless (/borderline stupid) club like carlton or to a lessar degree, Adelaide or West Coast, I would not at all be shocked if he got sacked at the end of the year if they make finals and then go out in straight sets again. The talent is there. So at that point, everyone would be blaming the coach. Should he? Probably not, but I wouldn't at all be surprised.

12. Ken Hinckley - How he's still the coach is beyond me. Some clubs would've sacked him after 2016. Almost all would have after 2019. But Gold Coast came ringing at the end of 2017. And Koch panicked. Gave him a contract that made it hard to oust him. End of 2019 was their last chance, they should've then. But fast forward 2 years. 2x Prelim finals, and the clubs finances going to complete and utter s**t now $13M in the red. Yeah, they're allowed to sack coaches and only have to pay-out 6 months worth. But do you really think the AFL will tick that off with the recent success they've brought them. Hey, if you went out in straight sets maybe, but you didnt, you won the qualifying finals and got a home prelim twice, so unless you go full Primus port, he will still be coach in 2023 (even though he should've been sacked at the end of 2016 or 2019 - Or if the club was ruthless, even the end of 2018)

Untouchable

13. Sam Mitchell - Following up the greatest coach of the modern era ever? Yeah, he had some down years at the end. But if you take a step backwards. I would not at all be shocked if some pitchforks are out.

14. Ben Rutten - Tbh, I expected him to be on the hotseat this year. But he just made finals in year 1 when I was expecting a bottom 4 finish. The fact he did so well in year 1, no club in their right mind would sack him even if year 2 was a disaster.

15. Craig McRae - The only thing going for him that Mitchell doesnt, is he's not following in a giant shadow. It would take a Mark Neeld type failure for Collingwood to sack him.

16. Simon Goodwin - No matter what happens tonight, he has built up enough credits to get through 2022 unscathed. If they lose tonight and back it up with 2 bottom 4 finishes? Okay, then he might get sacked. But for 2022, he's untouchable

17. Luke Beveridge - Maybe slide him up to 18 if they win tonight. With what he has done with the Bulldogs, the only way he wont be at the Bulldogs come 2023 is if Carlton do a Freo and poach him like Freo did with Lyon. No way the Bulldogs even contemplate sacking him, let alone do it.

18. Damien Hardwick - You know, I used to have a belief that a team can turn a corner extremely fast in this league. I saw it with Malcolm Blight (premiership after 8-14), I saw it with Neil Craig (preliminary final after 8-14) and I saw it with Brendon Sanderson (preliminary final after 7-15) and due to this I always believed in 2 years. If you can't make it in 2 years. You're gone. UNLESS you were hired to undertake a rebuild in which case Id give 3 years. Well, Hardwick got the 3 years and just made finals, but then they stagnated. 3 one and dones later, then an 8 win season in 2016. I feel he should've been sacked then along with Hinckley. However, Hardwick (and then later on Buckley) showed me exhibit a (and b) on why you dont be so cutthroat. Would they have won 3 of the next 4 premierships with another coach? Probably not tbh. I was wrong, Richmond were right, Richmond created a dynasty, and right now, Hardwick would be the most untouchable coach in the league. It would be like Hawthorn sacking Clarkson after 2017. Lol, sheer stupidity. Just lol.

The only people saying Ratts is going to get sacked are people from other clubs with nfi what they're talking about

Hey, did you know this is a footy forum where people offer their opinions on footy and other stuff?
It's just an opinion, don't take it personally.

Dew's the obvious big favourite. They've just been too poor for too long.

After that there's a bunch of coaches in less than ideal situations - Ratten, Longmuir, Simpson, Nicks, Scott - who's clubs might get twitchy. But they are all good coaches. And you don't sack good coaches unless your club has the wrong expectations.

The Saints should have expectations but if they hang around mid table again that doesn't mean Ratten has done anything wrong, it could easily be injuries or just needing a bit more cohesion that holds them back. The Eagles might have to deal with their mortality but shouldn't boot Simpson (they might also be very good). Freo and Adelaide should be realistic. Geelong and Scott seem keen to keep going and maybe pivot the list a bit together.

Hinkley and Leon Cameron are the other 2 who keep getting good results but don't seem any closer to actually winning a flag. Both very good coaches but at some stage their clubs patience must get thin. Both of lists capable of winning flags. And whilst injuries are a worry especially for GWS it's worth asking if there's someone else who can have a spin with those players.

What I would say from most likely to least likely

Highly Likely to be sacked.

1. Stuart Dew - He's a dead man walking, with where they're at, it's finals or bust. If the AFL can get Clarkson up there, they will do all in their hands to manage it. Though, when you sit down and realise that was Gold Coast's 3rd best season behind 2013-14, maybe there is hope. They have the midfield talent to really cause problems. Piece everything around them better and they could really take another giant stride.

Likely to be sacked.

2. Brett Ratten - He was brought in to win now, and St Kilda seemed well poised at the time. But 2021 wasn't good enough and another year like that and he'll be on the hot-seat.

50/50 chance to be sacked.

3. Michael Voss - He shouldn't be here. I think he should be pretty safe. But there's massive cultural issues at Carlton. And anything less than .500 will have the board asking 'is Michael right for this job'. I would not at all be shocked if they push him out the door thinking they can get Clarko, then settle on Lyon as a fallback option. For real this time.

4. Adam Simpson - They've been in a downward spiral since 2018. And another step backwards could just be what it takes for the club to go for change. Should he be gone? Probably not, but West Coast has always been successful, and 2 of the 3 previous times the club missed finals for 2 straight years the coach left. The 3rd you ask? 2008-10. So when Worsfold was given the chance to rebuild the club after just winning a premiership. So that's the question we go with. If West Coast miss, does Simpson get sacked? If they do and he doesnt, that 2018 premiership is all that's keeping him in a job.

5. Justin Longmuir - Yes, Fremantle has arguably improved year-on-year for the last 5 years. But fact is, Longmuir took over a mid-table team and has done nothing with it. They're treading water. And Fremantle as a club has shown that they can be brutally ruthless at times. And when you look at it. Freo are in a similar position now to 2011 when they went behind Harvey's back to bring in Ross Lyon.

Unlikely to be sacked.

6. Matthew Nicks - Just like Michael Voss, I dont believe he should be this high up on the list. But it's more to do with the club. Adelaide has also been ruthless through their history. Pyke misses finals for 2 years - Sacked, Sanderson misses finals for 2 years - Sacked, Craig on track to miss finals for the 2nd straight year, told he wont have his contract renewed, steps aside. Ayres has 1 down year and told his contract wont be renewed, spat his dummy and walked, Shaw misses the finals for 2 straight years, sacked. The ONLY previous coach to miss finals 2 straight years and to live to see another day was Graham Cornes in 1993. But tbh, this is also the first rebuild Adelaide has undertaken and Nicks has rebuilt the culture and team to give a bright future. But a sub 9 win season? I would not be shocked if the club just hates the optics of being sh*t and just sacks him hoping someone else can do better. Shouldnt, as the team is really young and is showing many great signs. But the results aren't there yet, and Adelaide is one of very few clubs I think who would be this cut-throat. Just havn't had much reach to be often.

Very unlikely to be sacked.

7. Chris Scott - Yes, he is successful. Yes he has held Geelong up at the upper echelons for a decade. But everyone knows this team is near the end and about to collapse, and when that happens, this club will go up in flames as much as the Hindenburg. And everyone knows it's Scott who's mortgaging the future for the now. The inevitable collapse is on him and his head will be on the chopping block when that time comes. I think they should get rid of him now as he cant take them to that next level. However, no club would sack him now. The first bottom 6 finish they have is when Geelong will probably bite the bullet. But by then the damage is done. Should go now imo, but wont.

8. Leon Cameron - At this point I feel I have to draw a bow. Yes, we know they're incapable, but how could a club on life support from the AFL justify sacking these coaches? There have been moments where we question if he even knows what he's doing, but the results have been there. Even with 1 bad year they wont get rid of him. They've only had 2 losing seasons under him in 7 years. Yes, he's had an abundance of talent at his disposal. I know, heck, must people reading this would know, he's not that good. But the results say otherwise (and yes, we know that's due to what he has, he should've done more) and that will keep him in the job.

9. David Noble - 8-12 is actually quite tight for me (13-18 are untouchable imo). And even though North looks like they're turning a corner, the other 4 at least have some runs on the board which will keep them in a job for 1 disaster year. But if North Melbourne go backwards again? Then you ask questions. It is unlikely he'll go and it'll take a Neeld like season to see it. But I wouldn't rule it out.

10. John Longmire - Let me just say, this isn't a sacking. What I feel here is a John Worsfold type feel to the situation. Enters the league, goes great, wins that premiership, goes through a rebuild, gets back near the top. But that 1 down season can just make him go, hey Pykey, the team's yours as he feels there might not be much left to accomplish.

11. Chris Fagan - Yes, he rebuilt the club, yes, they're coming off 3 straight top 4 finishes, but 2 straight sets finishes? As much as Port fans are pissed at Hinckley, at least he got you to Prelims. Would you rather lose to Geelong then lose the semi final? If Fagan managed this at a ruthless (/borderline stupid) club like carlton or to a lessar degree, Adelaide or West Coast, I would not at all be shocked if he got sacked at the end of the year if they make finals and then go out in straight sets again. The talent is there. So at that point, everyone would be blaming the coach. Should he? Probably not, but I wouldn't at all be surprised.

12. Ken Hinckley - How he's still the coach is beyond me. Some clubs would've sacked him after 2016. Almost all would have after 2019. But Gold Coast came ringing at the end of 2017. And Koch panicked. Gave him a contract that made it hard to oust him. End of 2019 was their last chance, they should've then. But fast forward 2 years. 2x Prelim finals, and the clubs finances going to complete and utter sh*t now $13M in the red. Yeah, they're allowed to sack coaches and only have to pay-out 6 months worth. But do you really think the AFL will tick that off with the recent success they've brought them. Hey, if you went out in straight sets maybe, but you didnt, you won the qualifying finals and got a home prelim twice, so unless you go full Primus port, he will still be coach in 2023 (even though he should've been sacked at the end of 2016 or 2019 - Or if the club was ruthless, even the end of 2018)

Untouchable

13. Sam Mitchell - Following up the greatest coach of the modern era ever? Yeah, he had some down years at the end. But if you take a step backwards. I would not at all be shocked if some pitchforks are out.

14. Ben Rutten - Tbh, I expected him to be on the hotseat this year. But he just made finals in year 1 when I was expecting a bottom 4 finish. The fact he did so well in year 1, no club in their right mind would sack him even if year 2 was a disaster.

15. Craig McRae - The only thing going for him that Mitchell doesnt, is he's not following in a giant shadow. It would take a Mark Neeld type failure for Collingwood to sack him.

16. Simon Goodwin - No matter what happens tonight, he has built up enough credits to get through 2022 unscathed. If they lose tonight and back it up with 2 bottom 4 finishes? Okay, then he might get sacked. But for 2022, he's untouchable

17. Luke Beveridge - Maybe slide him up to 18 if they win tonight. With what he has done with the Bulldogs, the only way he wont be at the Bulldogs come 2023 is if Carlton do a Freo and poach him like Freo did with Lyon. No way the Bulldogs even contemplate sacking him, let alone do it.

18. Damien Hardwick - You know, I used to have a belief that a team can turn a corner extremely fast in this league. I saw it with Malcolm Blight (premiership after 8-14), I saw it with Neil Craig (preliminary final after 8-14) and I saw it with Brendon Sanderson (preliminary final after 7-15) and due to this I always believed in 2 years. If you can't make it in 2 years. You're gone. UNLESS you were hired to undertake a rebuild in which case Id give 3 years. Well, Hardwick got the 3 years and just made finals, but then they stagnated. 3 one and dones later, then an 8 win season in 2016. I feel he should've been sacked then along with Hinckley. However, Hardwick (and then later on Buckley) showed me exhibit a (and b) on why you dont be so cutthroat. Would they have won 3 of the next 4 premierships with another coach? Probably not tbh. I was wrong, Richmond were right, Richmond created a dynasty, and right now, Hardwick would be the most untouchable coach in the league. It would be like Hawthorn sacking Clarkson after 2017. Lol, sheer stupidity. Just lol.

Voss has just been appointed and hasn't coached a game yet but you think he is third in line to be sacked whilst McRae & Mitchell who are in identical positions are untouchable.

You probably think intercourse is a free ticket to the races.

Give yourself an uppercut !!

It's an interesting year, because of the 1000 tonne elephant in the room. So I don't think clubs are going to be too trigger happy in season, but post season there could be blood-letting.

So:

Matthew Nicks (Adelaide) - as Dirty Bird said Adelaide are absolutely a sacking club. Won't get sacked mid-season, but can see them getting rid of him to try and get Clarkson, especially if Adelaide regress.
Chris Fagan (Brisbane Lions) - safe. Brisbane would still be very happy with how he's going. Would want some ROI in finals though.
Michael Voss (Carlton) - who knows. I don't envy Voss, that's all I'm gonna say. Should be fine for 2022 though.....probably.
Craig McRae (Collingwood) - safe, unlike Carlton I can't see Collingwood getting antsy that quickly.
Ben Rutten (Essendon) - safe. He just made finals when most were expecting a Bottom 4 finish and they were considered a spoon fancy!
Justin Longmuir (Fremantle) - hard to gague. Has been OK but progress is still slow. Another underwhelming year and he might just get Mark Harvey'd.
Chris Scott (Geelong) - I don't see Geelong dumping him, but I feel like we're nearing a point where a change of view might be required. But only vulnerable if they drop hard.
Stuart Dew (Gold Coast) - he's not quite dead man walking, but is very close to it. Frankly I wouldn't be surprised if Clarkson's already reached an agreement with the Suns to take over in 2023.
Leon Cameron (Greater Western Sydney) - was very, very lucky to survive 2020. But did have a good 2021 given GWS's injuries. Might be vulnerable if GWS drop again but for now I think he's probably still looking OK.
Sam Mitchell (Hawthorn) - given who they moved on to make him head coach, Mitchell is safe for at least a couple of seasons.
Simon Goodwin (Melbourne) - yeah, he's safe after last night.
David Noble (North Melbourne) - probably safe. I don't see North getting antsy that quickly and there's no evidence to suggest he's another Neeld/Walters.
Ken Hinkley (Port Adelaide) - hmmmm...sacking him after two Prelims in a row seems very harsh, but equally next year is his tenth year and I'm not sure he's the right guy to take them forward. Is Clarkson keen on a return "home"?
Damien Hardwick (Richmond) - safe. There'll probably come a time when the question of whether Richmond need a change comes up, but that won't happen so soon. And it would take a very, very brave board to ask that question regardless.
Brett Ratten (St Kilda) - definitely pretty vulnerable. I feel like if St Kilda rebound he'll probably be fine, but another year out of the 8 and he's in severe trouble especially given St Kilda are recruiting for the now. St Kilda are not afraid to shed blood either.
John Longmire (Sydney) - safe. I don't think Pyke being his 2IC will have that much impact as I don't think he's that keen on returning to head coaching, and if another club was to poach him he would've left in 2019.
Adam Simpson (West Coast) - since 2018 they haven't done anywhere near as well as I expected, and Simpson's strategy feels hopelessly out of date. 2022 might be too early, but another bad year and he's in danger. Honestly if they didn't win in 2018 he might already be sacked.
Luke Beveridge (Western Bulldogs) - safe. Despite last night.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

There's a good chance they miss finals next year, Carlton think they are a top 4 team, Hawks and pies have realistic expectations, that's why there's no pressure on them. If the blues miss finals, people will be calling for vossys head

Voss has just been appointed and hasn't coached a game yet but you think he is third in line to be sacked whilst McRae & Mitchell who are in identical positions are untouchable.

You probably think intercourse is a free ticket to the races.

Give yourself an uppercut !!

I looked at the poll and could foresee how all of them will be sacked except Longmire. He'd have to be involved in some scandal that had nothing to do with football to be sacked IMO.
For us, if the club has any sense they will not rush to renew Longmuir's contract. Need to keep our options open, he's shown signs he can coach but there's nothing overwhelmingly convincing about us under him either.

There's a good chance they miss finals next year, Carlton think they are a top 4 team, Hawks and pies have realistic expectations, that's why there's no pressure on them. If the blues miss finals, people will be calling for vossys head

Carlton think they are a top 4 team ???

You are a complete & utter nimrod who clearly lives in some deluded parallel universe.

Don't reply to any more of my posts, your inane drivel is without commonsense or worthy of continuing with.

You've come onto an AFL thread to defend your clubs appointment, yet whenever your comments are questioned, as they lack little depth or make any sense to the wider footy community you have resort to personal insults.

Why would you sack Teague after 2 and a bit years, where the club has just missed finals both years? Until the last 3 rounds Carlton were competitive in every game they played, I'd have thought if you were unhappy with a coach that has delivered those results, the club and supporters are expecting to play finals.

After your president sacks the coach he comes out and says they will get the best experienced coach around, they appoint Michael Voss, a coach with a similar win loss ratio to Teague, if your club delivers a similar season after those comments and actions of sacking Teague, the availability of clarko, that automatically puts Vossy under a huge amount of pressure, if you don't like it, don't come onto a thread and comment

Carlton think they are a top 4 team ???

You are a complete & utter nimrod who clearly lives in some deluded parallel universe.

Don't reply to any more of my posts, your inane drivel is without commonsense or worthy of continuing with.

You've come onto an AFL thread to defend your clubs appointment, yet whenever your comments are questioned, as they lack little depth or make any sense to the wider footy community you have resort to personal insults.

Why would you sack Teague after 2 and a bit years, where the club has just missed finals both years? Until the last 3 rounds Carlton were competitive in every game they played, I'd have thought if you were unhappy with a coach that has delivered those results, the club and supporters are expecting to play finals.

After your president sacks the coach he comes out and says they will get the best experienced coach around, they appoint Michael Voss, a coach with a similar win loss ratio to Teague, if your club delivers a similar season after those comments and actions of sacking Teague, the availability of clarko, that automatically puts Vossy under a huge amount of pressure, if you don't like it, don't come onto a thread and comment

As I've already said, you know nothing about our players and former coach so stop trying to act like you do.

Enough, I'm done with your obsessive observations that are totally unfactual.

If 2022 is a bad season, I want Chris Scott to depart on mutually-agreeable terms. No vindictiveness. Just a purely logical decision.
He has built this team and given the long-term expense, only a premiership is acceptable

If that doesn't happen next year, then a rebuild will be required. Too many over-aged under-performers in big games (you know - the ones that matter), and not enough opportunity for the younger players.

Once Hocking plants his feet after the first 12 months, I think a clean break is needed. Just my view.

Chris Scott has done well to keep Geelong towards the top with excellent H&A results, but nothing significant has been delivered during the finals, barring last year's Grand Final. When you're in contention that many times, you need to have some sort of tangible success - a strike rate of note.

After 2022, 12 years is enough to deliver something of your own

Scott is apparently ready to resign again, I don't agree but he's there long term

If 2022 is a bad season, I want Chris Scott to depart on mutually-agreeable terms. No vindictiveness. Just a purely logical decision.
He has built this team and given the long-term expense, only a premiership is acceptable

If that doesn't happen next year, then a rebuild will be required. Too many over-aged under-performers in big games (you know - the ones that matter), and not enough opportunity for the younger players.

Once Hocking plants his feet after the first 12 months, I think a clean break is needed. Just my view.

Chris Scott has done well to keep Geelong towards the top with excellent H&A results, but nothing significant has been delivered during the finals, barring last year's Grand Final. When you're in contention that many times, you need to have some sort of tangible success - a strike rate of note.

After 2022, 12 years is enough to deliver something of your own

As I've already said, you know nothing about our players and former coach so stop trying to act like you do.

Enough, I'm done with your obsessive observations that are totally unfactual.
but its FACT your club was looking for the most experienced coach out there,you cant complain when posters bring that up
& they are expecting nothing less than playing finals in 2022,thats a FACT
Teague was expected to take them to finals this season,thats y he got dumped,cmon man dont be so sensitive,sure Voss wont get sacked next year
but if they miss finals and Clarko is available,well u know :rolleyes: i wouldnt envy being Micheal Voss

but its FACT your club was looking for the most experienced coach out there,you cant complain when posters bring that up
& they are expecting nothing less than playing finals in 2022,thats a FACT
Teague was expected to take them to finals this season,thats y he got dumped,cmon man dont be so sensitive,sure Voss wont get sacked next year
but if they miss finals and Clarko is available,well u know :rolleyes: i wouldnt envy being Micheal Voss

Amazing how you can deal in such concrete facts yet they are wrong.

The wheels would have to well and truly fall off for Simmo to get sacked mid season. It doesn't fit in with the way Eagles do things.

But if we have another flag push with this squad - and that is looking likely - then I do feel like the club has got to set the bar high when looking at retaining Simmo post 2022 (and I'm an unabashed Simpson fan, right from the job interview process). Nothing short of a preliminary final would be acceptable. Anything out of finals I would say means the door is shown. 5th-8th is - as always - that awkward spot where a club isn't quite sure what to do, but after four years in the middle regions of the table it would be very justifiable to find another coach and start the rebuild.

In terms of coaching strategy, we can't move back up the ladder without a pretty significant rethink of the game plan. Ideologically Simmo looks like he is always going to be a coach that prioritises foot skills (coming from the Hawthorn/Clarkson coaching pen that is understandable) and that fits in pretty well with the strengths of our list. So I'm fine that this particular playing group is never going to be the most physical of football sides. We won 2018 and no one is going to look back at that team like they physically monstered opponents. But you just simply can't be a flag threat with the level of physicality we took to the field in 2021.

Regardless of whether we flag push or rebuild in 2022 (or the years after), quite simply the above paragraph holds true either way. You don't have to be the most physical team to win a flag, but you've gotta have some sort of presence on the field, and this year we didn't. And even if your rebuilding the one thing coaches and fans ask for is that you at least make the opposition earn their victories over you.

Back