Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
If 2022 is a bad season, I want Chris Scott to depart on mutually-agreeable terms. No vindictiveness. Just a purely logical decision.
He has built this team and given the long-term expense, only a premiership is acceptable

If that doesn't happen next year, then a rebuild will be required. Too many over-aged under-performers in big games (you know - the ones that matter), and not enough opportunity for the younger players.

Once Hocking plants his feet after the first 12 months, I think a clean break is needed. Just my view.

Chris Scott has done well to keep Geelong towards the top with excellent H&A results, but nothing significant has been delivered during the finals, barring last year's Grand Final. When you're in contention that many times, you need to have some sort of tangible success - a strike rate of note.

After 2022, 12 years is enough to deliver something of your own

But there are a lot of clubs who struggle to make the finals period. If Geelong make the finals again - which I would be shocked if they didn't - getting rid of a coach who consistently gets a club to finals just seems ridiculous to me, when a club cant guarantee that the next coach would be even better. Of course if it is Clarkson or someone along those lines, then maybe, who knows. But replacing a coach just because is not the way to go. People are really down on Geelong after their finals exit, and I am not really sure why.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if Chris Scott moves on anyway, and goes to Gold Coast or West Coast or some other team that is potentially looking for a new coach (hopefully Dew remains, but still he is under the most pressure.)

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
But there are a lot of clubs who struggle to make the finals period. If Geelong make the finals again - which I would be shocked if they didn't - getting rid of a coach who consistently gets a club to finals just seems ridiculous to me, when a club cant guarantee that the next coach would be even better. Of course if it is Clarkson or someone along those lines, then maybe, who knows. But replacing a coach just because is not the way to go. People are really down on Geelong after their finals exit, and I am not really sure why.

Having said that, it wouldn't surprise me if Chris Scott moves on anyway, and goes to Gold Coast or West Coast or some other team that is potentially looking for a new coach (hopefully Dew remains, but still he is under the most pressure.)
Wouldn't surprise me to see him go end of next year. The first half of his stint at Geelong he was fairly adamant of not having too many of the old guard all leaving at once. Yet since Dangerfield came across that no longer seems a issue. His philosophy has certainly changed and I'm not sure he would be prepared to do the long hard yards that are most likely going to be required at the end of this.

Jim Levenstein

Team Captain
Aug 17, 2021
AFL Club
Collingwood
And if Clarkson comes out at the end of next year and says "no, I don't want to coach", we will have endured a hybrid year with an unwanted coach and still won't have anyone with experience on the horizon.

People have sh*t-canned us for what we have done thus far, can you imagine the backlash from supporters if we followed your idiotic plan and ended up with three-fifths of bugger all ?? We would be the laughing stock of the footy world !!
pretty sure they already are to non blues supporters.

Duskfire

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 30, 2007
Perth
AFL Club
Geelong
Wouldn't surprise me to see him go end of next year. The first half of his stint at Geelong he was fairly adamant of not having too many of the old guard all leaving at once. Yet since Dangerfield came across that no longer seems a issue. His philosophy has certainly changed and I'm not sure he would be prepared to do the long hard yards that are most likely going to be required at the end of this.

What makes you think he wouldn't be prepared? He already put the team through a mini rebound. If he wants to stay and rebuild, I see no reason why they wouldn't let him.

deck

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 7, 2004
Melburn
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Liverpool, SF 49ers, FSU
What makes you think he wouldn't be prepared? He already put the team through a mini rebound. If he wants to stay and rebuild, I see no reason why they wouldn't let him.
Well even the most optimistic Geelong supporter can see that it is going to be a longish rebuild. 10 years of coaching is a longtime in itself but to then transition from winning all the time to struggling takes some motivation to do.

Maybe he believes you have a good young core to work with that will help get the club up quicker than most outsiders expect. That maybe motivation enough but after 10 years sometimes a break is needed before you jump back in to the grind of building a team from the bottom up.

Suspect Voss will be under pressure unless he cuts the flab from the Carlton list. Hewett will help but Cerra not so much. I doubt he could get one or two more wins from that list.

Aug 13, 2006
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Well even the most optimistic Geelong supporter can see that it is going to be a longish rebuild. 10 years of coaching is a longtime in itself but to then transition from winning all the time to struggling takes some motivation to do.

Maybe he believes you have a good young core to work with that will help get the club up quicker than most outsiders expect. That maybe motivation enough but after 10 years sometimes a break is needed before you jump back in to the grind of building a team from the bottom up.
I've often thought it would be a lot more stressful to coach a team in Geelong's current position than a rebuilding side.

Ross Lyon and Clarko both haven't survived the rebuilds for various reasons but I think they were pretty relaxed in their last few years.

John Longmire will always lose it on game day at big Cox next to him but he didn't seem too fazed last year. Having the academies and one of the leagues best recruiting teams working for him probably helped.

I can just imagine if Scott has a strong contract and good staff around him he might actually relax a bit more if he isn't in the position of trying his absolute best to milk wins out of a team with some pretty large deficiencies and also being responsible for Selwood, Hawkins and Dangerfield's legacies.

Send some young players out there and just tell them to play, don't worry about the expectations.

Aug 6, 2021
AFL Club
Adelaide

I would question whether any 10+ year coach who’s been to the top of the mountain is the right person to oversee a full rebuild. Clarko didn’t, Williams didn’t, Worsfold didn’t, Matthews didn’t. I’m not saying you should get rid of Scott just because but I would have significant questions about if he's the guy to take them forward.

yamborghinidream

Metal Gear Solid
Apr 14, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
WAFL
I've often thought it would be a lot more stressful to coach a team in Geelong's current position than a rebuilding side.

Ross Lyon and Clarko both haven't survived the rebuilds for various reasons but I think they were pretty relaxed in their last few years.

John Longmire will always lose it on game day at big Cox next to him but he didn't seem too fazed last year. Having the academies and one of the leagues best recruiting teams working for him probably helped.

I can just imagine if Scott has a strong contract and good staff around him he might actually relax a bit more if he isn't in the position of trying his absolute best to milk wins out of a team with some pretty large deficiencies and also being responsible for Selwood, Hawkins and Dangerfield's legacies.

Send some young players out there and just tell them to play, don't worry about the expectations.
Longmire has been pretty open about enjoying the challenge of developing the list and the excitement of working with youth - whether or not Scott feels the same way will determine if he can stay at Geelong or not.

I always thought Longmire blowing up in the box was akin to getting frustrated on the Playstation - you lose it in the moment but you're not actually furious, just responding to a second of stimulus before you get a grip. Whereas Scott seems genuinely mentally displaced by football at times, affecting his mood and demeanour for prolonged periods.

BK Eaglesfan

Premiership Player
Oct 6, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
I don't see the Eagles sacking Simpson unless they started 0 - 8 or something horrendous. If they have a horrible year, especially if they stick with the veterans and underperform, I could see a stage managed end of season 'mutual' parting of the ways, as someone has already mentioned.

Tactically, I'm actually not too concerned about Simpson. Our game plan was horrible this year, but maybe he thought the 'stand' rule would actually help a kick - mark game plan and the old 'if the Eagles take 100 marks in a game they win' would play into our favour with the new rule. He's innovated before, right back to the Weagles Web in 2015.

What I would be concerned about and he does have to take responsibility for, is if he can't get some of the senior players who appear to have spent three years prancing around Perth like it's still 2018, to get their hunger back. They handled the hubs badly last year and their mental game this year at times looked way off.

Ricketz

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 2, 2011
Wagga Wagga
AFL Club
Geelong
The 23 nuffies who said Chris Scott clearly have never heard of Geelong before. He is on his last year - they aren't going to do a Hawthorn on him. The club has class.

Rich01

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 5, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond
Suspect Voss will be under pressure unless he cuts the flab from the Carlton list. Hewett will help but Cerra not so much. I doubt he could get one or two more wins from that list.
I’ve always thought the next Carlton coach needs 5 years to show something. Clarkson and Lyon would have been given this time, and just because it’s Voss it shouldn’t be any different. There is no chance Voss is in the gun next year, regardless of how his team performs.

I’ve always thought the next Carlton coach needs 5 years to show something. Clarkson and Lyon would have been given this time, and just because it’s Voss it shouldn’t be any different. There is no chance Voss is in the gun next year, regardless of how his team performs.

What you say makes sense. But if they are uber-s**t he will be in the gun sights

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
As I've already said, you know nothing about our players and former coach so stop trying to act like you do.

Enough, I'm done with your obsessive observations that are totally unfactual.

Fact is Carlton said the expect to make finals , publicly stated as such . Fact is if they don’t , that Voss will be scrutinized and your unstable board will respond in their usual way . Behavior repeats .

So maybe you should chill out a bit , treat the comments on their merit snd stop being so sensitive. You’ve embarrassed yourself .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Mar 20, 2002
Mosman Village
AFL Club
Carlton
Fact is Carlton said the expect to make finals , publicly stated as such . Fact is if they don’t , that Voss will be scrutinized and your unstable board will respond in their usual way . Behavior repeats .

So maybe you should chill out a bit , treat the comments on their merit snd stop being so sensitive. You’ve embarrassed yourself .

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Fact is, you know bugger all about us as well.

We want to play finals, since when is that a major revelation ??

And if we don't, we won't be going on a sacking spree either, you can spin the words in whatever manner suits your flimsy premise but it is you that is doing the embarrassing.

BruceTempany14

Calling out Geelong supporters
Aug 4, 2016
AFL Club
Richmond
Fact is, you know bugger all about us as well.

We want to play finals, since when is that a major revelation ??

And if we don't, we won't be going on a sacking spree either, you can spin the words in whatever manner suits your flimsy premise but it is you that is doing the embarrassing.
Wanting to and stating that you must as a minimum standard is a different thing.

But Ill bow out , obviously hit a nerve.

Back