Votes: 2 0.5%
  • Brett Ratten

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Chris Scott.
Won't be 'sacked'.
But a conversation needs to happen.
Would be crazy to let him keep going on this path.
Dude needs to be stopped.
He's just digging and digging a deeper hole.
The longer he goes the deeper the hole gets.

How do explain sacking a coach who every year gets his team to the Finals?

Not sacked.

But a mutual agreement to part ways. They have conflicting objectives. What's best for Chris is no longer aligned with what is best for the club as a whole.
Chris wants to win every game. But that is hurting the clubs future.

Should have happened this year.
Adult conversation with mutual respect .
Shake hands. Thanks for the memories.
Life member.
Go out on good terms before it turns ugly.

Making the finals from 2012 onwards every year bar once and only making one Grand Final and no premierships is a terrible strike rate
Making finals is not that big a feat for a club where success has been relatively sustained for the past 15 years.
44% make it that far. Geelong have had too many top four finishes for essentially no result.

The club's over-investment in mature-aged players means Geelong had to capitalise. Without anything tangible, it has all been a grand waste of time and money, and a new direction will be needed

I don't think anything will come from recruiting Higgins, Jenkins, Daulhaus, Rohan and Cameron. Dangerfield has been one big winner for us, but even he isn't the answer to everything. Selwood is also winding down. The celebrated "Dangerwood" is no longer a power. The Dogs and Melbourne have better midfields. Way better.

Coaches stake their reputation on the direction they wish to take regarding list manager and game plan, and Chris Scott's direction (unless I'm surprisingly proven wrong) will have been fruitless when all is said and done.

Making the finals from 2012 onwards every year bar once and only making one Grand Final and no premierships is a terrible strike rate
Making finals is not that big a feat for a club where success has been relatively sustained for the past 15 years.
44% make it that far. Geelong have had too many top four finishes for essentially no result.

The club's over-investment in mature-aged players means Geelong had to capitalise. Without anything tangible, it has all been a grand waste of time and money, and a new direction will be needed

I don't think anything will come from recruiting Higgins, Jenkins, Daulhaus, Rohan and Cameron. Dangerfield has been one big winner for us, but even he isn't the answer to everything. Selwood is also winding down. The celebrated "Dangerwood" is no longer a power. The Dogs and Melbourne have better midfields. Way better.

Coaches stake their reputation on the direction they wish to take regarding list manager and game plan, and Chris Scott's direction (unless I'm surprisingly proven wrong) will have been fruitless when all is said and done.

I guess your right… it probably also much more pressure to coach a club when fansi are used to success.
It’s the old age question, would one prefer their team to make regular finals every decade, but not win the big one. Or be in the doldrums for 30 years only to rise up to win a few Premierships then back to the bottom again.

As a Richmond fan since 1974. I experienced both. Which is good to know how both ways feels.
But I sincerely hope the Tigers don’t fall back to 30 years of hell, as I be to old to enjoy the next succession of heaven.

As a Richmond fan since 1974. I experienced both. Which is good to know how both ways feels.
But I sincerely hope the Tigers don’t fall back to 30 years of hell, as I be to old to enjoy the next succession of heaven.

I don't think Richmond are going to collapse and fall into a heap. I think Brendon Gale has worked to change the culture of the place and create a positive workplace culture - contrary to the 80s and 90s. If I was a Hawks supporter, I wouldn't care about the current downturn, because 4 flags in 8 years is hard to argue with. I'd always take 5 years down for a flag or two.

I don't "expect" success in the sense that I've followed the club for about 30 years, and I know that success is fleeting. We've had a great run, but it will come to an end eventually.
Essendon is another perfect case in point. Most of my friends are "Essedon" supporters, and they just thought "it would always happen". Under Sheedy, routinely grabbed a flag every 7-8 years. Now, haven't even won a final since 2004. Big fall

I think clubs (except for Carlton) are generally too well managed to endure 30 year stints in hell again. Sometimes, it takes that hard lesson to change your ways.

Very surprised that the cats are going to sign Chris Scott now

There really is no need to rush, why not wait til middle of the year at least

Not sacked.

But a mutual agreement to part ways. They have conflicting objectives. What's best for Chris is no longer aligned with what is best for the club as a whole.
Chris wants to win every game. But that is hurting the clubs future.

Should have happened this year.
Adult conversation with mutual respect .
Shake hands. Thanks for the memories.
Life member.
Go out on good terms before it turns ugly.

How do you know they have conflicting objectives? That might be Geelongs objective as well. I find it hard to believe they would have given him an extension if they conflict that much. Stephen Hocking is not the type of man to piss around.

Very surprised that the cats are going to sign Chris Scott now

There really is no need to rush, why not wait til middle of the year at least

I think they did it to end speculation. Not only for Chris Scotts future, but also any potential links he may have to other clubs such as Gold Coast (there were already some this year, however true they may have been.) If they hadn't, all year there would have been speculation about what was going to happen to Scott regardless how Geelong were doing. This just nips it all in the bud before the year is even over.

I think it is a good thing. Regardless of peoples views regarding Chris Scott, it is good for a club to show their level of support for a staff member. Gives a lot of confidence.

I think they did it to end speculation. Not only for Chris Scotts future, but also any potential links he may have to other clubs such as Gold Coast (there were already some this year, however true they may have been.) If they hadn't, all year there would have been speculation about what was going to happen to Scott regardless how Geelong were doing. This just nips it all in the bud before the year is even over.

I think it is a good thing. Regardless of peoples views regarding Chris Scott, it is good for a club to show their level of support for a staff member. Gives a lot of confidence.

I agree
When I go swimming, I like to tie my anchor to me, just in case it tries to run off and link itself to a boat or something ;)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

https://7news.com.au/sport/afl/stuart-dew-set-afl-finals-task-with-suns-c-4328971

"That improvement should take us towards a pretty special time towards the end of the season where we're contending for finals," Evans said.

Who thinks Gold Coast will play finals next year?
Does this just confirm that Dew is on his way out?
If the Suns are 0-4, history says they won't play finals, does this mean that Dew's reign ends the minute they can no longer make finals?

If there is any expectation on Dew to make finals then he will be gone

They need to stop the perpetual player exodus. Touk Miller is the only talent that they have been able to hang on to.

Brisbane fixed that problem with Fagan and GC will be desperate for a similar coach who can get the talent to stay.

If Clarko is keen then it is definately all over but Clarko seems more interested in Tasmania. Their history might also mean that he wont take it if Dew is sacked.

Hey Clarko, welcome to Big Footy. Posting will be a good way to enjoy your time off.

Nice username also. Throwing Kennett into a uranium mine isnt a bad idea also.

So, I, Clarko, created this account in 2004, preempting my sacking from Hawthorn 17 years in advance?
I mean, I'm a great coach and all, but I'm not that great. Just ask Ian Aitken.

I reckon it will be between 3 coaches

Dew
Ratten
Hinkley

Who ever fails is gone, but I strongly believe they wont be replaced by Clarkson as I reckon he will say no to coaching all 3 teams.

Back