• Brett Ratten

Votes: 6 1.6%

• Total voters
Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United
I have no idea why Ratten has such expectation placed on him. He got St Kilda their first finals win since 2010, and people are expecting him to be a messiah...

It's St Kilda. They go through coaches as ruthlessly as us (Carlton)

Unfortunately the spectre of Clarkson does loom heavily over the likes of Dew and Ratts.

uranium_death

All Australian
May 3, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
It's St Kilda. They go through coaches as ruthlessly as us (Carlton)

Unfortunately the spectre of Clarkson does loom heavily over the likes of Dew and Ratts.

It isn't Ratten's fault that St Kilda has a dismal history
Nobody raves about their list. Hard to make gold out of silver...

Jul 25, 2019
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Leeds United

Rates has been there a few years, I don't think it was his fault for the Hannebery and Hill recruiting blunders.

Definitely need to start blooding more kids, their medium-long term future looks grim, I don't know why Ben King would want to join them.

I still think Chris scott especially if they lose to essendon round 1 they will likely go 0-2 heading into a must win game against pies

they can’t afford to miss the 8 with their list

I still think Chris scott especially if they lose to essendon round 1 they will likely go 0-2 heading into a must win game against pies

they can’t afford to miss the 8 with their list

Non-basket-case clubs don't sack coaches no matter how bad it gets because there is always a better way than sacking the coach.
Basket-case clubs sack coaches because they panic.

Geelong isn't a basket-case club.

Non-basket-case clubs don't sack coaches no matter how bad it gets because there is always a better way than sacking the coach.
Basket-case clubs sack coaches because they panic.

Geelong isn't a basket-case club.
I think the point is Chris Scott has had long enough there to get them another flag In the last 10 years especially topping up each year

If they regress he should be replaced

TP86

Club Legend
Apr 16, 2010
AFL Club
Hawthorn
I don't think it'll be Voss but then again, if Carlton lose to Hawthorn in round 3 and start 0-3 as a result can you imagine what the build-up to their game against Gold Coast in Round 4 is going to be like...

Dew should've been sacked 40 games ago, and yet if a mentally refreshed Clarko is ready to step in then keeping him on for three rump years will end up being "worth it". I wonder if West Coast or Adelaide would be ruthless enough to sack their incumbents and pursue Clarko. Another year of Nicks being caretaker for the bottoming out process, or West Coast starting their bottom out, could put it on the agenda. If Clarkson's goal is simply to win more flags, rather than prove a point by bringing success to somewhere difficult like Gold Coast, then West Coast would have to be his first choice.

Port will do too well for Hinkley to go. Same for Cameron at GWS.

I think the point is Chris Scott has had long enough there to get them another flag In the last 10 years especially topping up each year

If they regress he should be replaced

They might regress but they won't sack him because they're not a basket-case club.

Silver flatters their list.

Ratts may be the most likeable Coach but he took on the perennial bust Club. Yes I know Thomas was an appalling coach and Lyon improved them for a spell, but their list and history is a dead albatross.

My sneaky bet at long odds is that Horse will pull the pin and hand over to McVeigh mid season if the Bloods go backwards in 2022. He is still tarred with selecting The Grohan all those years.

Oct 19, 2020
AFL Club
Richmond
I went for Chris Scott because you can't put up with mediocrity for over a decade
The object of football is to win finals and win grand finals.
If you keep making finals and lose you also get crappy draft picks.
Scott is setting the club up for a really bad list in the future.

uranium_death

All Australian
May 3, 2004
AFL Club
Geelong
Rates has been there a few years, I don't think it was his fault for the Hannebery and Hill recruiting blunders.

Definitely need to start blooding more kids, their medium-long term future looks grim, I don't know why Ben King would want to join them.

"Ratts" has only been there 2 seasons. Ross Lyon is like the aliens from Independence Day. He sucks all resources from the club, does his best, then when the place is drained and desolate, he moves on. Watters and Richardson had a bigger build than was realised.

Ratten will also need time. To expect any coach to come in and just succeed overnight is unreasonable. There are no messiahs. Even Clarkson won't fix St Kilda overnight.
Clarkson at Hawthorn was aided by having a young Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis at the club when he arrived. Picked up Franklin and Roughead at his first draft. There was already a good platform to build from.

Ratten doesn't have that at St Kilda

There are no messiahs. Blight at St Kilda. Malthouse at Carlton. Jesaulenko at St Kilda. You can't just take a coach and plonk them in a shithole and expect magic.

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda
"Ratts" has only been there 2 seasons. Ross Lyon is like the aliens from Independence Day. He sucks all resources from the club, does his best, then when the place is drained and desolate, he moves on. Watters and Richardson had a bigger build than was realised.

Ratten will also need time. To expect any coach to come in and just succeed overnight is unreasonable. There are no messiahs. Even Clarkson won't fix St Kilda overnight.
Clarkson at Hawthorn was aided by having a young Hodge, Mitchell and Lewis at the club when he arrived. Picked up Franklin and Roughead at his first draft. There was already a good platform to build from.

Ratten doesn't have that at St Kilda

There are no messiahs. Blight at St Kilda. Malthouse at Carlton. Jesaulenko at St Kilda. You can't just take a coach and plonk them in a shithole and expect magic.
I've lived through a few messiahs at the Saints and no I don't expect instant miracles. And your right, Clarkson certainly was kissed on the bum by a fairy with the plethora of young talent drafted in before and as he arrived .
You would hope the new coaches at Carlton/ Collingwood/Hawthorn aren't expected to achieve instant success and work miracles. Be interesting where their supporters are placing them on the 2022 ladder :think:

Jack Green

All Australian
Feb 14, 2018
AFL Club
St Kilda

Well, Ben is playing for Gold Coast :oops:

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
General Giant tagged because you’re the most useful around for this I imagine. What is it about Leon Cameron that’s made him worthy to coach for his 9th season in charge? He doesn’t get wraps like Ken Hinkley for being one of the boys, either. For the record I think our coach is garbage too but as long as we make a profit and/or the yearly final thumping he’s safe.

Apr 12, 2012
AFL Club
GWS
General Giant tagged because you’re the most useful around for this I imagine. What is it about Leon Cameron that’s made him worthy to coach for his 9th season in charge? He doesn’t get wraps like Ken Hinkley for being one of the boys, either. For the record I think our coach is garbage too but as long as we make a profit and/or the yearly final thumping he’s safe.

I have been part of the Leonout brigade for a while.
But,
At the beginning of the year hardly anyone had us in the 8 and by halfway through the year (with our injuries, results, and we were about to leave home for good for the season) the ones that did dropped off.
He went with a lot of youth and made it to the second week of the finals, including another derby finals win.
He was never getting sacked because of that and his contract.
He is loved by most of the players.

Back