Fixture Season 2022 - Full AFL Fixture in OP

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
But thats all superflous I just suspected you cut off at the end of 2015 because of the glut of Friday night games Carlton had during 2015. ;)
How many prime times games did they have in 2015? I know they had around 6 in 2016 and 4 in 2017.

I definitely think them and Essendon are overexposed, but at least Essendon made finals every couple years or lingered just outside the 8. Carlton were getting all this exposure gifted to them while they were winning spoons.

How many prime times games did they have in 2015? I know they had around 6 in 2016 and 4 in 2017.

I definitely think them and Essendon are overexposed, but at least Essendon made finals every couple years or lingered just outside the 8. Carlton were getting all this exposure gifted to them while they were winning spoons.
6 Friday, 1 Thursday.

Also had that in 2014.

carlton_99

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal & NY Knicks
Not sure why you're comparing Carlton to Essendon. Essendon have had way to many Friday night games, Essendon being over exposed doesn't mean Carlton hasnt been. Though admittedly I could only find 19 not 21 that you originally stated, maybe I counted wrong. And I rate Thursday/Friday night footy the same and the Blues have had a few more of those than Essendon since 2012 I'd wager.

But thats all superflous I just suspected you cut off at the end of 2015 because of the glut of Friday night games Carlton had during 2015. ;)
I included Ess as a comparison because like Carlton they are a big Melb team with very little success recently. And the cut off at end of 2015 was because there was a clear change in the prime time games given to Carlton with significantly less in 2016 onwards.

I included Ess as a comparison because like Carlton they are a big Melb team with very little success recently. And the cut off at end of 2015 was because there was a clear change in the prime time games given to Carlton with significantly less in 2016 onwards.
Yeah so I was right.

You cut it off because it helped your argument. I mean that's Bigfooty 101

carlton_99

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal & NY Knicks
Yeah so I was right.

You cut it off because it helped your argument. I mean that's Bigfooty 101
No. I included the numbers for 2013 2014 and 2015 as well. This showed that a change had been made whereby Carlton was no longer "overexposed". You could make the argument that in 2015 and 2013 we were but like I said 2014 we came off a finals win so made a bit more sense. But over the last six years we have not had many Friday night games

carlton_99

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal & NY Knicks

What are you counting as prime time games?

CarnTheScray

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 4, 2019
Ballarat
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
No. I included the numbers for 2013 2014 and 2015 as well. This showed that a change had been made whereby Carlton was no longer "overexposed". You could make the argument that in 2015 and 2013 we were but like I said 2014 we came off a finals win so made a bit more sense. But over the last six years we have not had many Friday night games
Let’s look at some of the last six years then.

2021. Thursday night vs Richmond, Thursday night vs Collingwood, then they stopped giving prime time to you as it was a floating fixture and there would’ve been outrage. Still, most of your Saturday and Sunday games were FTA. 2 prime time games.

2020. Thursday night vs Richmond, Saturday night vs Essendon, Thursday night vs St Kilda, Friday night vs Gold Coast, Sat night vs Brisbane, and that Tuesday night game if you want to count that one. 5-6 prime time games.

2019. Thursday night vs Richmond, Frida night vs Sydney, Sat night vs Dogs. 3 prime time games after winning the spoon.

I’ll look at 2018 and 2017 later. But I think that is overexposure for a club that hasn’t made finals and been bottom 4 and wooden spooners in 2018 during that period.

carlton_99

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 4, 2018
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Arsenal & NY Knicks
Let’s look at some of the last six years then.

2021. Thursday night vs Richmond, Thursday night vs Collingwood, then they stopped giving prime time to you as it was a floating fixture and there would’ve been outrage. Still, most of your Saturday and Sunday games were FTA. 2 prime time games.

2020. Thursday night vs Richmond, Saturday night vs Essendon, Thursday night vs St Kilda, Friday night vs Gold Coast, Sat night vs Brisbane, and that Tuesday night game if you want to count that one. 5-6 prime time games.

2019. Thursday night vs Richmond, Frida night vs Sydney, Sat night vs Dogs. 3 prime time games after winning the spoon.

I’ll look at 2018 and 2017 later. But I think that is overexposure for a club that hasn’t made finals and been bottom 4 and wooden spooners in 2018 during that period.
In 2020 you say we had 5-6 prime time games. But there are 3 prime-time games a week (Thursday/Tuesday, Friday, Saturday night). So 3 games x 23 rounds x 2 teams = 138. 5-6/138 is a very low proportion of prime time games. And just looking at our record in those games - we went 3W 3L and our losses were pretty close. So I think for a team that was pretty disappointing in 2020 we didn't do too badly in the prime time. 3 prime time games in 2019 is a tiny proportion of all possible prime time games so we were clearly "punished" commercially for our wooden spoon finish in 2018.

It does? Most local clubs I know have dinner and a couple of beers after training whilst watching the game.
This. I don't mind Thursday night footy but only 10 or so per year

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Turtles, NYJets, Celtics, Tottenham
I like the flexible fixturing from round 10 on, it means the AFL can actually reward teams that are performing (and put better games on that are more interesting to the viewer) instead of falling back on the teams with bigger support bases because its a safer option

I like the flexible fixturing from round 10 on, it means the AFL can actually reward teams that are performing (and put better games on that are more interesting to the viewer) instead of falling back on the teams with bigger support bases because its a safer option
On a tv perspective, it's good
On a fan perspective it's bad.

That Gold Coast game I eye off. If it's Saturday night. I'd attend. Sunday afternoon maybe as well. But by the time we know, prices will be higher that in itself would turn me off.
Sydney - If it's Saturday Night or Sunday Afternoon. Lock me in. But if it's anothe time. Cant. By the time I know? Too expensive.
West Coast - I wouldn't be opposed to taking my 5h shift on Saturday off work and going early spending some time over there and attending a game Saturday. But if it's Sunday, I can't go as I wouldn't be able to get back for work for Monday as I wouldn't want to take 9 extra hours off work.

Airlines lose out (lower demand)
hotels lose out (less visitors)
Clubs lose out (lower crowds from less travelling supporters)
Hospitality lose out (less people to fill tables)

The only winners are channel 7 (better game on fta) and the AFL (ONLY IF 7 PAYS MORE FOR RIGHTS IN THE FUTURE) and any arm-chair supporter who doesn't have foxtel/kayo.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
On a tv perspective, it's good
On a fan perspective it's bad.

That Gold Coast game I eye off. If it's Saturday night. I'd attend. Sunday afternoon maybe as well. But by the time we know, prices will be higher that in itself would turn me off.
Sydney - If it's Saturday Night or Sunday Afternoon. Lock me in. But if it's anothe time. Cant. By the time I know? Too expensive.
West Coast - I wouldn't be opposed to taking my 5h shift on Saturday off work and going early spending some time over there and attending a game Saturday. But if it's Sunday, I can't go as I wouldn't be able to get back for work for Monday as I wouldn't want to take 9 extra hours off work.

Airlines lose out (lower demand)
hotels lose out (less visitors)
Clubs lose out (lower crowds from less travelling supporters)
Hospitality lose out (less people to fill tables)

The only winners are channel 7 (better game on fta) and the AFL (ONLY IF 7 PAYS MORE FOR RIGHTS IN THE FUTURE) and any arm-chair supporter who doesn't have foxtel/kayo.

The clubs win out if they get additional prime time games they otherwise wouldn't have. Sponsors will be happy.

It's a safe bet Adelaide will be playing gold coast and sydbey on Saturday or Sunday so you could book the weekend, its not like they're going to be playing on Friday night.

The clubs win out if they get additional prime time games they otherwise wouldn't have. Sponsors will be happy.

It's a safe bet Adelaide will be playing gold coast and sydbey on Saturday or Sunday so you could book the weekend, its not like they're going to be playing on Friday night.
But the deals would be signed pre-season
You think a company would say, oh wow, you're on friday night that week, here's an extra $50k for that exposure. Not exactly good business sense from a company.

And yes, it is safe to say it's Saturday or Sunday.
But I cant get up for a Saturday afternoon game, or hang around for a Sunday twilight game. There's about 4 MAYBE 5 timeslots that work for me.
Why would I commit when there's about a 60/70% chance it works.
Id have to wait, and prices will be higher by that time.

Feb 21, 2006
Muckertal
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
But the deals would be signed pre-season
You think a company would say, oh wow, you're on friday night that week, here's an extra $50k for that exposure. Not exactly good business sense from a company.

And yes, it is safe to say it's Saturday or Sunday.
But I cant get up for a Saturday afternoon game, or hang around for a Sunday twilight game. There's about 4 MAYBE 5 timeslots that work for me.
Why would I commit when there's about a 60/70% chance it works.
Id have to wait, and prices will be higher by that time.

Fair enough, I don't travel interstate for games so doesn't really bother me but I can see how it would be frustrating.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Yeh as someone who goes down to melb for a couple of footy weekends it’s frustrating as difference between an early Saturday or Sunday twilight is quite large when it comes to organising flights. For safety i think I’ll just have to go ahead and take a friday off work and book a morning flight and then book the last flight out of Melbourne on a sunday night and hope it doesn’t get cancelled leaving me there til 6am the next day

May 30, 2006
Canberra
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yeh as someone who goes down to melb for a couple of footy weekends it’s frustrating as difference between an early Saturday or Sunday twilight is quite large when it comes to organising flights. For safety i think I’ll just have to go ahead and take a friday off work and book a morning flight and then book the last flight out of Melbourne on a sunday night and hope it doesn’t get cancelled leaving me there til 6am the next day
I simply won't go. It adds a couple of hundred dollars to flights from here not being able to book many months ahead. (Canberra flights are an absolute ******* rort, as it is to make it only slightly unaffordable I often bus one way.) And Sundays tend to be impossible even if you do book 8-9 months out, pre-covid there usually wasn't a seat available after about 4pm on Sunday - even the $400+ economy seats are gone by then.

perro_loco

Club Legend
Apr 10, 2016
Western Suburbs
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Other Teams
Boca Juniors
Once your team starts winning again, you'll get a better fixture. Winning spoons + Low club support = Not as lucrative fixture. It's really not that difficult.

Stop demanding compensation because you currently have a bottom of the ladder team nobody will go to see or tune in for. The AFL isn't a charity that owes your club something.
Mate the AFL subsidised your club after the peptides scandal. so don't complain. be thankful you are still part of the competition. :cool:

Back