2nds Season 2022 GWS Giants VFL

Remove this Banner Ad

Good to get a win and didnt manage to watch the game so for those that did

Is Brander that bad? seems to be dominant at lower level and a little lost at senior, maybe learning a different system to the Eagles and working with different coaches and I think the aim is to have him as a Tom Lynch (Crows) type winger and if he can show that at the lower level I think with time it can transfer to the AFL with time and growing into his body. 24 for next season and it will be his 6th season on a list. Not saying it will happen but I can see some traits worth persevering with so just not sure if the coaches see that and also if he has the determination to push himself

Did Hamilton play up the ground at all or was it territory that gave him the inside 50's? Like him as a player and hopefully he can get back in for more games before the end of the year but I think unless injuries strike they will be reluctant to play 2 inexperienced players in Wehr and Hamilton together

Angwin was always a project and the 2 year extension shows the club is seeing improvement and if managers the rest of the season some good form could see him in for a debut but more likely next season

Not sure on Fleeton as he is undersized for KPD and without watching his game it could come down to him or Brown for a list spot next year and Brown has pace and seems to attack the footy better but just if the coaches can work with his skill deficiencies

Shaw missed the game so unless he comes out and kicks 2 goals a game I cant see him with a spot next year but as a cat b rookie it was always a long shot

3 goals in his 1st game after 2-3 training sessions with the club is encouraging for Derksen and a good run to the end of the season will be a huge positive for the team

Not sure on the scheduling as it doesnt help the club at all,
Reserves home to NMFC, Seniors away to NMFC

Next week
Reserves away to GCFC, Seniors home to Dogs

If Head office is so concerned with minimising costs schedule the teams in the same city so that the support staff can double up if needed, it will be interesting how the Vic clubs go with the travel as the northern clubs are already disadvantaged as most away games are a 1 hour flight and looking at the fixture they dont have any Canberra or home regional games but they could have had the Dogs game as a curtain raiser this weekend

Is Brander that bad? seems to be dominant at lower level and a little lost at senior,

Did Hamilton play up the ground at all or was it territory that gave him the inside 50's?

Angwin was always a project and the 2 year extension shows the club is seeing improvement and if managers the rest of the season some good form could see him in for a debut but more likely next season

Not sure on Fleeton as he is undersized for KPD and without watching his game it could come down to him or Brown for a list spot next year and Brown has pace and seems to attack the footy better but just if the coaches can work with his skill deficiencies

3 goals in his 1st game after 2-3 training sessions with the club is encouraging for Derksen and a good run to the end of the season will be a huge positive for the team

Yes Brander is that bad - he knows where to be and how to get the ball but he butchers it pretty badly. He also has a habit I noticed yesterday where his first reaction when getting the ball is to either sidestep into trouble or to stop and do this weird little pirouette three sixty thing which immediately takes away his first option of moving the ball on.

his kicks are either up and under or low worm burners and his handballing is atrocious. As I said, he knows where to put himself and how to get it - he just can’t get rid of it particularly well. two incidents for example, a low worm burner kick coming out of defence, found its target, sure, but left the player diving forward for a slips catch and on the ground wasting time getting up and allowing north to get back - and a handball that found its way to a teammate (effective disposal) trouble is, he missed his intended open target by about 3 feet and it was gathered by someone else under all sorts of pressure who was tackled immediately - ball up.

when he gets it right, he’s good - he just doesn’t get it right very often.

Hamilton was playing high half back, up the ground a lot, bit of a roving commission to go wherever. was pretty good yesterday.

Angwin kicked a goal early, then had a great intercept / play set-up late - but other than that I didn’t see anything worth commenting on. Not sure what they see in him.

Fleeton is more your Cumming / Idun type - not a KPD. didn’t notice him much yesterday but I liked him a lot in some earlier games I’ve seen (maybe a long term replacement for Haynes as that floater/interceptor). Brown is an interesting one, his 2nd and 3rd efforts are great, but he wouldn’t need them if he just marked the ball in the first place.

Derkson was good for his debut. I liked what I saw and can see why they picked him up - but at the moment he has skinny chicken legs (think Jeremy Cameron early days) will need to put some muscle on them to add some length to his kicks. Good start though. His second goal in particular was enough to get excited about his potential.

Yes Brander is that bad - he knows where to be and how to get the ball but he butchers it pretty badly. He also has a habit I noticed yesterday where his first reaction when getting the ball is to either sidestep into trouble or to stop and do this weird little pirouette three sixty thing which immediately takes away his first option of moving the ball on.

his kicks are either up and under or low worm burners and his handballing is atrocious. As I said, he knows where to put himself and how to get it - he just can’t get rid of it particularly well. two incidents for example, a low worm burner kick coming out of defence, found its target, sure, but left the player diving forward for a slips catch and on the ground wasting time getting up and allowing north to get back - and a handball that found its way to a teammate (effective disposal) trouble is, he missed his intended open target by about 3 feet and it was gathered by someone else under all sorts of pressure who was tackled immediately - ball up.

when he gets it right, he’s good - he just doesn’t get it right very often.

Hamilton was playing high half back, up the ground a lot, bit of a roving commission to go wherever. was pretty good yesterday.

Angwin kicked a goal early, then had a great intercept / play set-up late - but other than that I didn’t see anything worth commenting on. Not sure what they see in him.

Fleeton is more your Cumming / Idun type - not a KPD. didn’t notice him much yesterday but I liked him a lot in some earlier games I’ve seen (maybe a long term replacement for Haynes as that floater/interceptor). Brown is an interesting one, his 2nd and 3rd efforts are great, but he wouldn’t need them if he just marked the ball in the first place.

Derkson was good for his debut. I liked what I saw and can see why they picked him up - but at the moment he has skinny chicken legs (think Jeremy Cameron early days) will need to put some muscle on them to add some length to his kicks. Good start though. His second goal in particular was enough to get excited about his potential.

Thanks for the reply

Team for tomorrows VFL game, 11 listed players not taking into account emergencies and medi-sub for AFL and with the extended numbers the Suns have it will be a tough task and not sure how many are not listed players on their team sheet but hopefully a good performance and no injuries

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 7.59.45 am.png
    Screen Shot 2022-06-18 at 7.59.45 am.png
    17.1 KB · Views: 60
The result reflects playing a team with no ruckman.
Derkson looks to be putting his hand up. 3 goals straight, 14 disposals, 7 marks.
Phil Davis, TT and XO did ok under the circumstances.
1655614769790.png

How much of the game did TT play? Second highest disposal getter - would indicate it was more than just a half?

Seemingly Phil Davis had a good game from the stats - did anyone watch the game itself, how did he seem to the eye?

By the stats, Derksen seems to be laying a solid base for the future.

How much of the game did TT play? Second highest disposal getter - would indicate it was more than just a half?

Seemingly Phil Davis had a good game from the stats - did anyone watch the game itself, how did he seem to the eye?

By the stats, Derksen seems to be laying a solid base for the future.

Had 20 odd to half time. Just that much better than the VFL. Should slot straight back into the AFL midfield rotation next week

Team for tomorrows curtain raiser
I think it could be moved with all the rain

B 51. R. Hebron 46. C. Brown* 29. C. Fleeton
HB 43. C. Hamilton 42. J. Stein 49. S. Frost
C 53. B. Stewart 47. J. Green 50. W. Clark
HF 45. W. Derksen* 35. W. Shaw 48. H. Grintell
F 31. J. Brander 26. J. Riccardi* 52. B. Romensky
R 11. B. Preuss 2. J. Hopper 60. L. Chisholm

INT 59. B. Rauter 66. L. Fellows 57. S. Quirk 32. K. Briggs 63. E. Hollard (23rd)

10 listed players with 1 likely to drop out to be medi-sub

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Game is Sunday away to Williamstown (2nd last on the ladder) a few names from short careers in the AFL I recognise
Downie and Macreadie names people will be familiar with

12 listed player but thinking 2 will travel to Adelaide

B 51. R. Hebron 29. C. Fleeton 49. S. Frost
HB 43. C. Hamilton 42. J. Stein 35. W. Shaw
C 33. X. O'Halloran* 47. J. Green 50. W. Clark
HF 45. W. Derksen 28. Z. Sproule* 48. H. Grintell
F 31. J. Brander 26. J. Riccardi* 52. B. Romensky
R 11. B. Preuss 2. J. Hopper* 60. L. Chisholm
INT 59. B. Rauter 64. R. Bice 55. J. Conlan 32. K. Briggs 63. E. Hollard (23rd)

Anyone watch this?
Assume we will get the report shortly
I watched from half-way through the 2nd qtr.
Williamstown oval (or whatever it's called) was quite pretty with a waterfront view.

Observations, not an analysis:
The ball seemed to spend a lot of time in the Williamstown front half. Giants scored mostly off rebounding quickly to an open forward line.
Brander got it a lot. Disposal still an issue. Hands were good.
Preuss barely touched it but got a few hit outs.
Briggs was ok.
Hopper looked good. Not sure how much game time he got and he was a class above.
XOH was ok. Hard at it as usual, snagged a nice goal.
Riccardi was good and efficient with his chances. Gave away a late 50m penalty telling the umpire he made a bad call on a free against.
Sproule was good as he tends to be at this level.
If Derksen played I didn't notice him.
Hamilton was good. Could be in line for a recall.
Will Shaw looked pretty good. He ran out the game strongly.

Jake Riccardi, Zach Sproule, Jacob Hopper and Jarrod Brander starred for the GIANTS as they held-off the spirited Seagulls to record a 9.10 (64) to 11.16 (82) win. Youngster Xavier O’Halloran responded well to being omitted by senior coach Mark McVeigh registering 19 disposals and two goals, with Jake Stein, Braydon Preuss and Kieren Briggs likely to come into contention for AFL selection this week.

“It was a really pleasing result, especially to beat them at home where they’re traditionally strong,” GIANTS VFL coach Damian Truslove said. “Overall, it was a great team performance and our ability to fight it out until the end was impressive.”

Remove this Banner Ad

Back