Review Season 2022: How'd we do?

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought 2020 was worse but then we got to the point we couldn't even reach the 50 this year.

Clarko would be cringing at our defensive setup as well as our forward structure. Needs a complete overhaul.

B&F Top 5
1. Don' give a s**t
Honourable mention:

Best first year player: Paul Curtis/JHF

Breakout player: Nil
Honourable Mention/s: Nothin

Most underwhelming season: TT
Honourable mention/s:polecs

Goal of the year: Zurhaar
Mark of the year: As above

Delist:
1. Turner
2. Atu
3. Walker, need another six spots fyi

Trade:
1. One of CCJ or Xerri
2. TT
3. Curtis Taylor

Throw the cheque book at them:
1.N/A

Players that Clarko will bring the best out of:
1. JHF
2. Comben
3. Larkey

THE CRYSTAL BALL

Who do we select with the number 1 draft pick: NFI

Who do we play Round 1 & what time slot: Hawks

Opposition you’re most looking forward to playing next season: A shitmen side where we win

Leadership
Captain: Simpkin, said that 3 years ago and nothing has changed
Two Vice Captains: Should only be one

2023 B&F Top 3
1. Don't care

How many games do we win: Depends on the draw, 6-9
Where do we finish on the ladder: 12th

Which contracted player gets traded out this off season: Xerri

Who would you (realistically) like us to bring in:
1. Don't know

Who do we actually bring in this off season:

When do we play finals again: 2024

Access NMFC Player Thread Index here

Well another season has come, gone and went, what started with hope soon met with the reality that it was to be a long year. Whispers around the traps suggested our pre season was a joke and we had NFI. With what has transpired it would be fair to suggest that those rumours were true.

Oh well as they say.

Rd 1team

1661121054562.png

Rd 23 side

1661121146691.png

Not much difference in the end, just everyone is 22 weeks older. But it wasn't all doom and gloom,

Curtis, Goater, Comben & JHF the latter will be much better for the run, has spent his entire short life doing as he pleases in the lower leagues. He would now realise his opponents are stronger and fitter, so his main weapons aren't as prevalent at this level. He will be fine, we all know that.

Comben- guys like him don't grow on trees as apposed to CCJ/Xerri who move like they do. Was great for him to get on the park eight or so times. He should be confident in his body now and go nuts during the pre season. Will come on quicker than some expect.

Curtis/Goater look like they should be playing elsewhere as we don't normally draft those types.

LDU- Yep

Our midfield will be fine , needs two more pre seasons.

We have a FF, CHF, rucks & a FB covered. That's not shabby by any stretch. We are the best worst team by a mile. Not sure though what that actually means lol

Good times are coming and again quicker than some expect.

I had us last this year, but that wasn't because of the quality of our list, it was everything else.

B&F Top 5
LDU, went from solid promising mid to arguably our best.
2. Simpkin.
3. Goldy, although I'd have him above Simpkin for delivering on talent this year - impressed with how he responded to being challenged.
4. McKay - Would be higher if not for games missed.
5. Larkey - Underrated year in a very challenging forward half.
Honourable mention: Curtis Taylor, probably Young who delivered above what I expected and Zurhaar who had an electric last 2/3rds given the delivery and setup issues.

Best first year player: Still think JHF, held to a very high standard and had a lot of pressure on him from external sources. One thing that is now becoming obvious that was hidden amongst his reputation for physicality is that he is absolutely silk with the ball in hand. His kicking is sublime, best I've seen for us since Wells probably, just able to weight the ball to get it exactly where he wants it. Reckon he will go bang from here.

Breakout player: LDU. He was a good best 22 player already but is now firmly our best and most damaging mid with growth to go.
Honourable Mention/s: Paul Curtis, well ahead of where we had him and at the risk of going early Goater as well looks a steal and the prototype modern large mid / utility a la Bont.

Most underwhelming season: Sadly JZ, I thought he was going to struggle a bit more but I think it went far faster than even I expected. Hope he and the club can manage it with dignity. Thomas, Polec and Lmac amongst others for differing reasons. Think Clarkson will have Lmac at the crossroads and he needs to bed down a role.

Goal of the year: Struggle to remember them but I'd say Zurhaar who had a few crackers.
Mark of the year: Not the most glamorous but I really rated that Paul Curtis contested mark on the boundary in the forward pocket. Is some talent.

Delist:
Hayden
2. Walker, P
3. JZ - for him and us. I think it will get uglier if he plays on.

Trade: Wouldn't know where to start given we have holes everywhere. I guess along with the delistings I'd like to see us trade in the areas we have excess, if we can't fill all the talent gaps in one year I'd like to at least ensure that as much as possible the VFL team has a true structure to develop in.

All players that will make or break our continued rise.
1. LDU
2. McKay
3. JHF

Thomas - Think he will settle Thomas's direction and role.
2. JHF - Mostly as he give confidence to our direction.
3. CCJ - Clarko seems to have had a good history of getting a lot out of solid, journeyman ruck types.

THE CRYSTAL BALL

Who do we select with the number 1 draft pick:
No real idea so I'll throw out a wild one based on getting PP's - Ashcroft then a live trade of pick 1 after Brisbane match.

Who do we play Round 1 & what time slot: If not the obvious Hawthorn at the G on a Saturday arvo (which would be great). The next most obvious Sunday twilight interstate - Fremantle or Brisbane.

Opposition you’re most looking forward to playing next season: Carlton.

Leadership
Captain:
Jy
Two Vice Captains: LDU & McKay

2023 B&F Top 3
LDU
2. McKay
3. Larkey

How many games do we win: 6
Where do we finish on the ladder: 13

Which contracted player gets traded out this off season: I don't think any, but if I had to guess one - Scott.

Who would you (realistically) like us to bring in: Honestly couldn't begin to guess.

As above but I think we have cut a lot already. I would be surprised if they weren't looking to shore up quality depth in roles that we need more development time into (wings) and to provide genuine depth in the right areas - KPD / KPF's and will need a faster lockdown type. I think with Perez, Goater coming in with some skill we need a hard lockdown type for smalls to enable them to attack.

When do we play finals again: Still think 2024 is on the cards and most likely, depends whether Clarkson agrees that the base is mostly there already I guess.

I said at the start of the year I thought this was the best list we have assembled since Pagan, and while I have certainly had a fair amount of times where I think this might have been folly, I still think this is the case. We just need some kind of game plan because this entire list has no chance to get to their potential without some level of competency in the coach's box.

B&F Top 5
LDU - I had my doubts as to whether he would get to A grade, I was wrong, he had put it together and off we go;
2. Simpkin - Sheer numbers were fantastic, and can't doubt his intent, but his skill level drop off has been a big issue;
3. LMAC - I have not been a huge fan of his ball use or his constant lack of good decision-making, but he has given his all and was at least consistent.
4. McKay - Will get a few maximum votes but the lack of games will hurt;
5. Scott - Will gain votes in most games and the way he vote, this will give him a decent chance;
Honorable mention: Goldy, Flexed between no impact and great impact, will get some big votes but miss on consistent ones

Best first year player: Has to be Curtis for impact. JHF right on his tail but the way Curtis impacted was terrific and in a vastly more difficult area of the ground considering the horrid way we deliver the ball inside 50.

Breakout player: LDU - Elevated his game and that is what we want from our most talented players. Will never be a defensive beast but his improvement in this area was noticeable.

Honourable Mention/s: Scott - I still do not believe that he will be a long-term answer, but he was significantly better than last year

Most underwhelming season: TT - there are probably reasons behind this but his overall performance was a shadow of last year. Get his head right and he can be the additional game breaker we need.

Goal of the year: I should remember them all as there weren't many but casn't think of an exact one.
Mark of the year: I'll go with Bulls

Delist:
Hayden
2. Walker, P
3. Atu
- Mahoney, Lazarro and Jack being contracted complicates this discussion a little as I wouldn't hesitate in removing all three.

Trade: Hoping that we don't get players that stop the next gen from taking a role next year

1. Half Back runner - not sure exactly who, but would think of someone like JJ if he comes cheap;
2. Additional wingman, transitional wingman - the Hill trade might be worth something again if he gets cheap;
KP swingman - Weideman, lets grab him and see what he can do in defence;

Throw the chequebook at them:
All players that will make or break our continued rise.
1. JHF - needs a 4-year deal
2. LDU - the lead midfielder of the future
3. Mckay - can't lose this piece

JHF - He has the bag of bricks and tricks, build him correctly and the house stands
2. Comben - Has all the hallmarks of a gun KP player, structure him up and he could be anything
3. Bonar - if he gets to 100 games, and that is a big if right now, it will be because Clarko has turned him into the powerful player he physically is combined with an injection of game sense that only good coaching can provide.

THE CRYSTAL BALL

Who do we select with the number 1 draft pick:
I think the value of a trade for Pick 1 will not be high this year, only can see an Ess or Giants trade for their 1st and 2nd being in play but that doesn't seem good enough. Wardlaw looks like the one.

Who do we play Round 1 & what time slot: Gold Coast at 4.40pm Sunday

Opposition you’re most looking forward to playing next season: Essendon

Leadership
Captain:
Jy
Two Vice Captains: LDU & McKay

2023 B&F Top 3
Mckay
2. TT
3. LDU

How many games do we win: 8
Where do we finish on the ladder: 11

Which contracted player gets traded out this off season: None

Who would you (realistically) like us to bring in: Honestly couldn't begin to guess.
1. New forward coach
2. New midfield coach
New skills coach

A bunch of ex-hawks

When do we play finals again: 2024 as long as this group stays together

slightly different tangent, from the teams missing the finals:

Blues: Could you end the year in a more disappointing fashion?
St Kilda: Only slightly more disappointing than Blues.
Port: underperformed and ready to sack their coach.
GC: Won as many games as they've every won...Yay lets celebrate mediocrity.
Hawks: Saw their greatest ever coach come to us.
Adelaide: oh that Camp is still around.
*: Has there been a bigger basket case?
GWS: A broken down Ferrari with out a head mechanic.
WC: Ha, even we beat them.

North: WE GOT CLARKO!

We have defiantly won out the non finals teams.

Thought the players kept on trying at least, we never really ‘gave up’. Spirit was generally good given what a horror show our season was. Our skills and fitness is simply not up to AFL standard, the amount of goals kicked against us from basic errors and turnovers was way too high. We basically played every week with around half a dozen that were not up to AFL level. Hopefully Clarko can sort it all out in the next few years. He has 7-10 decent players to work with. We need to have around 15 to be competitive. Some players must simply get there fingers out as well…
Bright spots was LDU’s emergence, the development of Scott, Curtis, Taylor. The Richmond win was pretty good. They still have ‘North’ nightmares. All my Tigers mates predicted that we’d beat them.
The Clarkson appointment will hopefully be a pivotal moment in the club’s history. Has created massive hype. Not sure where we were going if it didn’t happen.

Your end of season review

B&F Top 5
1. LDU
2. Jy Simpkin
3. Todd Goldstein
4. Cam Zurhaar
5. Luke Mcdonald

Honourable mention: Harry McKay

Best first year player: Paul Curtis

Breakout player: LDU
Honourable Mention/s: Bailey Scott, Curtis Taylor

Most underwhelming season: Tarryn Thomas
Honourable mention/s: Ziebell

Goal of the year: Cam Z winner vs. the Tiges and shout out to Eddie Ford goal vs. The Dogs
Mark of the year: Cam Z vs. Fremantle

Delist:
1. Hayden
2. Matt McGuinness
3. Pat Walker

Trade:
1. Not sure if we will trade out players

1. Cam Z
2. McKay

1. JHF
2. Simpkin
3. Stevo

THE CRYSTAL BALL

Who do we select with the number 1 draft pick: In Clarko we trust

Who do we play Round 1 & what time slot: St Kilda 1.10pm Sunday arvo at Marvel

Opposition you’re most looking forward to playing next season: Bulldogs we need redemption after the s**t good friday performance this year.

Leadership
Captain: Jy Simpkin
Two Vice Captains: LDU & Luke McDonald

2023 B&F Top 3
1. LDU
2. Stephenson
3. JHF

How many games do we win: 9
Where do we finish on the ladder: 12th

Which contracted player gets traded out this off season: None

Who would you (realistically) like us to bring in:
1. Jack Gunston
2. Josh Dunkley
3. Harry McKay

Who do we actually bring in this off season: Jack Gunston

When do we play finals again: 2024

That first 16 weeks we plumbed depths reminiscent of reaching the bottom of the Mariana Trench. And then continued to keep going believing ‘that’s what a rebuild looks like’.

The football was insipid/unwatchable/insert further adjectives describing ineptitude. The single victory was against a side with players who worked part time. The side was bereft of a plan, a system, a direction.

Team selection was diabolical for the majority. Starting with ‘Goldy as a third string ruckman’. LOL. There is a gaping chasm at both the KPD area and the outside class area and we filled them with blokes that either aren’t good enough, or aren’t suited to the positions. The captain was playing purely based on the fact he was captain.

LDU an absolute lighthouse in an ocean of s**t. Stood up, became ‘the man’ and at 23, will be the man for a decade. He would be a deserved captain. McKay a one man backline for the most part, Scott developed nicely, albeit still with question marks over his lack of care with ball in hand. Curtis showed a lot. Taylor worked tirelessly, but his shortcomings are there for all to see.

They were the only positives until the 19th of August. That’s the day that will resign this whole horrible 24-36 month period into the rear view mirror. Fingers crossed it was worth it.

+tives
Ben McKay - AA level this year don't think I'd swap him for any other FB in the comp
LDU - If he brings that last half a year for a whole season look out, absolutely dominate at stages especially through the CBA again not sure if I'd swap him for any other mid in the comp
Paul Curtis - Has the makings of an elite small fwd, no second year blues or injuries please just onward and upward.
Untapped potential - (kind of a backhanded positive but it's exciting that we can potentially add half a dozen elite players into our squad on a consistent basis) Cunners, WhiPhi, Comben, Goater, TT, Stevo, even JHF to an extent. If we can get all these guys into our best 22 next year there's no reason performance can't take a quantum leap from what we dished up this year.
Clarko - who knows what else he brings but he's already brought in an injection of hope for the future that no other appointment could have provided. He'll have time on his side to implement a program but the fact he'll have the instant respect and belief from the playing group means we may see a quicker response.

-tives
Basically everything else.
Was the first year I can remember not being nervous when watching the start of a game because the result almost felt assured (ten goal drubbing).
Regression as a team is never a good thing but how we finished 21 to how we were in 22 was disappointing to say the least.
Having our club dragged through the mud week in week out was so disheartening, all the media merchants of doom doing their best to take us down, it was exasperating trying not to give any of it oxygen.

Is there anyone that you have you're eye on>

I mean, the dream is Harry McKay. I think uniting the twins would be incredible.

A few other candidates though could be players like Bayley Fritsch or Isaac Heeney. Would take a high price to trade for them, but that's what having the #1 pick allows you to do.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back