aussie80s

All Australian
Jan 12, 2008
The Mountain
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Wolves, Packers, Celtic, Box Hill
Looking at the ladders it is unusual to see them without percentages.

Watching the Premier Division Football Show Ep 4 this week it was mentioned that the reason they don't have percentages or tie breakers this year was that due to Covid, clubs can be badly effected on individual weeks and they will just use head to head records. However, looking at the ladders they do use, it still shows points for and against and the teams are effectively placed in percentage order anyhow.

I'm assuming others are more over this than I am but if two clubs finish on the same head to head record after Round 18 and one is 5th and the other 6th, which side makes the finals?

ManInWhite

Ex ManInWhite
Apr 6, 2009
AFL Club
Richmond
Looking at the ladders it is unusual to see them without percentages.

Watching the Premier Division Football Show Ep 4 this week it was mentioned that the reason they don't have percentages or tie breakers this year was that due to Covid, clubs can be badly effected on individual weeks and they will just use head to head records. However, looking at the ladders they do use, it still shows points for and against and the teams are effectively placed in percentage order anyhow.

I'm assuming others are more over this than I am but if two clubs finish on the same head to head record after Round 18 and one is 5th and the other 6th, which side makes the finals?

This was the process for juniors - maybe it is being adopted for seniors? The 2022 By laws haven't been posted yet on the league website.

85.3 TIE-BREAKER PROCESS Finishing positions will be deemed a tie where; - Two or more sides finish on the same amount of match points or, Two or more sides finish on the same Match Ratio (Games won/Games Played x100)

85.3.1 TWO-TEAM TIE
a) Win-Loss record of head-to-head competition between the two teams.
b) Greatest winning margin in games played between two teams
c) Most Goals in games played between two teams
d) Win-Loss record vs. Highest ranked common opponent (Proceeding downwards if necessary)
e) Aggregate margin vs. Highest ranked common opponent

85.3.2 THREE-TEAM TIE (or more) The following procedure will be used in the following order until the tie is broken:
a) Best winning percentage of games played among the tied teams
b) Greatest winning margin in games played between teams
c) Win-Loss record vs. Highest ranked common opponent (Proceeding downwards if necessary).

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Went down to Mt Ev to see how Mt Ev would fair under a new coach. Well to say they were never in the game was an under statement. Narre Warren are that far in front of any team in Premier it's ridiculous. We have them at one end and Broadford Yea at the other and we are supplying 3 Divisions to cater for both.

Valley Maestro

Draftee
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
Richmond
Division Two Seniors - Club Reviews:

Alexandra:
  • At the end of Round 6, the Rebels are currently sitting in fourth place with two wins and two losses. The highlight of their season thus far was a comfortable 26-point win against Yarra Junction on the road. They did that without key forward and club legend Brayden Norris. Unfortunately, Alex struggled the following week when they travelled to Powelltown, losing by 52 points in scrappy conditions. New recruits - former Crow and Blue Sam Kerridge, Thomas Massey, Nick Meehan and Lachlan Nankervis - have all fitted in well and will only get better as the season goes on. Jason Degabriele has started the year off superbly in the midfield and they will be hoping that Dean Galea can return to last year’s solid form, which saw him crowned as one of the three winners of the league B&F. Alex have only played the one game at home, which was a convincing win against Broadford in the Anzac Round. The long drive up to Alexandra is always a tough gig and this week’s home game against premiership contender Kinglake will provide us with a better indication of we’re they're currently at. With Powelltown and Kinglake being the benchmark this season, Alex are fighting against Yarra Junction and Warburton for a place in the top four. It’s safe to say that the Rebels have been a bit of an enigma so far, but their best is certainly good enough to make finals.
Broadford/Yea:
  • Since merging in Round 4, Broadford/Yea have only played the one game, which resulted in a 10-goal loss to Warburton. Despite being competitive in the second half, it was always going to be a difficult task overcoming an experienced Burras outfit. Looking at the competition stats, Isaac Smithwick has been their clear standout this season and he has been well supported by Liam Lucas and James Hibbens. Whilst they will start underdogs in every game this season, it really is a credit to both clubs coming together to ensure its players can still have a kick with their mates every Saturday. Hopefully both clubs can field two sides in season 2023.
Kinglake:
  • Kinglake have picked up from where they left off last season - losing just the won game and sitting on top of the ladder at the conclusion of Round 6. Strong across all lines with Luke Hannah in the ruck, the experienced Krystopher Douglas leading the backline, young gun Mason McAllister rotating through the middle and the ever so crafty Damian Pywell up forward, the Lakers are a genuine premiership challenger despite a shock loss on the weekend at home to Yarra Junction. They made light work of their biggest threat - Powelltown - in Round 3, prevailing by 71 points. Although Powelly was missing spearhead Michael Fowkes, back-up ruckman Jason Walker and coach Jarrod Bayliss - they were comprehensibly outplayed by a fitter and well-structured Lakers side after half time. Kinglake also accounted for fellow finals contender Warburton, winning by five goals on the road in Round 4. The club’s depth is extremely strong with its reserves competing against Warburton in a clear two-horse race for the premiership. Pencil in the Lakers for a top-three finish.
Powelltown:
  • Powelltown have started off season 2022 in a solid fashion, having only lost just the one game. The Demons' best 22 is quite reminiscent of the Geelong Cats, showcasing an abundance of experienced talent. The club’s small oval suits their older bodies and any defence is going to have nightmares competing against the best forward line in the competition, which consists of ex-Kangaroo Joel Perry, Michael Fowkes, Dean Roy and Garry Sheppard, all of whom are natural goal-kickers. It also helps that they have an elite ruckman in Ben Wratten, who often gives first use to star midfielder Russell Cowan and nuggety pair Jayden Mullen and Russell McCrimmon. Powelltown’s achilles heel is clearly its backline, having conceded a combined 345 points in its first three matches. They are really missing the reliable Jack Garthwaite, who returned to junior club Montrose this season. Seasoned veteran Barry McDonald, currently out injured, will be a welcomed return down back. Despite Powelltown lacking depth this season (its reserves still haven’t registered a win), there is simply too much class on its list and they should still finish in the top two.
Yarra Junction:
  • Yarra Junction, who currently sit in third position, have a best six as good as anyone in the competition. Former Norwood (EFL) premiership player David Johnson, ex-Woori Yallock 1’s regular Joshua Wall, ball magnet Ewan Wadsworth, goal-sneak Sam Morton, ruckman Troy Armstrong and tough nut Jesse Bombinski, are all brilliant in their own right. The Eagles, who were bolstered by the inclusion of Regan Davis, pulled off a hard-fought win over Kinglake last weekend in what was the upset of the season. Depth is an issue though for Junction this season with their reserves struggling (they potentially could miss out on finals if they lose the remaining 50/50 clashes to Alexandra and Powelltown). Nevertheless, Yarra Junction almost prevailed in Round 1 against an impressive Powelltown line-up and beat Warburton in a one-point classic in Round 3. The return of the skilful Sam Cannon has proved to be very valuable whilst Dean Eliades continues to regularly hit the scoreboard. The Eagles are a proud club and certainly more than capable of causing an upset in the finals if they do sneak in.
Warburton:
  • Warburton, despite being 2-4, have showed enough to suggest its a finals contender this season. They got within one kick of Powelltown in a high-scoring affair in Round 2 and then lost to Yarra Junction by one point a fortnight later. Further to that, the Burras also matched it with Kinglake for three quarters and defeated Alexandra in Round 1. Nelson Aldridge is one of the best rucks in the competition whilst Shawn Andueza and Jack Lee have been rocks in the back half. Up forward, Warburton have a lot of firepower with new recruit Mitch Bonuda and up-and-comers Trent Elliott and Brady Mitchell. Throw in experienced heads - Liam Barnard, Thomas Marr, Tim McKail, James Iacono and Matt Wright - it is evident that the Burras have a strong best 22 and can take it up to anyone on their day. The club’s reserves are also flying this season, winning all six matches and establishing themselves as the clear team to beat. With Warburton, Alexandra and Yarra Junction so evenly matched, the battle to secure the third and fourth spots sure is going to be entertaining.

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with the play hq

Yet to hear of a league or club that's happy with it

Screenshot_20220522-093249_Chrome.jpg

Oct 5, 2004
Moving Around
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Avoca FNC, Ouyen Kangas FNC
Nothing wrong with the play hq

Yet to hear of a league or club that's happy with it

View attachment 1406151
Join the chorus Toxic. Whoever at AFL HQ that thought implementing the new system was a good idea should be given their marching orders immediately. The portal is an absolute joke!

Join the chorus Toxic. Whoever at AFL HQ that thought implementing the new system was a good idea should be given their marching orders immediately. The portal is an absolute joke!
It's a shambles

Simply its gotta be a job for the boys deal

Someone's uncle designs some inferior crap payless version and it's rolled out nationally

Out of curiosity- does anyone know if the cricket teams have the same issues?

Oct 5, 2004
Moving Around
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
Other Teams
Avoca FNC, Ouyen Kangas FNC
It's a shambles

Someone's uncle designs some inferior crap payless version and it's rolled out nationally

Its an issue for many sports including cricket and basketball. I feel for league administrators who are wearing the heat from clubs/ supporters due to the inferior product whilst having the system basically forced upon them. It’s not their fault, it’s the AFL HQ who have caused this shambles. They wouldn’t know there is an issue as they are disconnected from community footy.

Tackle Bag

Club Legend
Dec 5, 2017
AFL Club
Richmond
It's a shambles

yes it absolutely is. The AFL have bought into the company.

This article tells the story. All sports are struggling with it.

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Bit of a retro feel to the YJ V Powelltown game Saturday with a huge brawl. Haven't seen anything like that for twenty odd years.

Stifler's mom

Premium Platinum
Jan 29, 2007
Glen Iris
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
liverpool - Walk On!
Bit of a retro feel to the YJ V Powelltown game Saturday with a huge brawl. Haven't seen anything like that for twenty odd years.

I took my two teenage kids to the game and it will likely be the last time we go.

it was an absolute disgrace. If these thugs think they are acting in line with community standards, then I hope the league does not agree. Otherwise we may as well give up on having our kids play in this league.

I will be waiting to hear what sanctions are taken before i comment further.

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
I took my two teenage kids to the game and it will likely be the last time we go.

it was an absolute disgrace. If these thugs think they are acting in line with community standards, then I hope the league does not agree. Otherwise we may as well give up on having our kids play in this league.

I will be waiting to hear what sanctions are taken before i comment further.

Don't hold your breath.

Thunder1

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
It’s floating around. Very bad.
Doesn’t sound good. Let’s see if league does anything about it.
In saying that don’t think you can see tribunal results on AFL Outer East website or am I just not able to find it

staffonly

All Australian
Aug 20, 2021
AFL Club
St Kilda
Doesn’t sound good. Let’s see if league does anything about it.
In saying that don’t think you can see tribunal results on AFL Outer East website or am I just not able to find it

It’s 3-4 in any other comp.

Noodles Magee

Senior List
Aug 14, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Agree but in this day and age it just shouldn’t be happening.
Time for the thugs to go and retire.
Be interested to hear which club whacked first?
If the leagues attitude to cleaning up these sort of incidents is reflected by the outcome of a tribunal hearing stemming from a reserves game from the weekend then good luck. Utterly disgraceful act and pathetic sentence/outcome handed down. If the incident happened in a nightclub the offender would be charged. Yet another example of the league and its subsidiaries missing the mark. I’d love to say I’m surprised but sadly I’m not when it comes to these clowns.

Thunder1

Club Legend
Nov 7, 2019
AFL Club
Hawthorn
If the leagues attitude to cleaning up these sort of incidents is reflected by the outcome of a tribunal hearing stemming from a reserves game from the weekend then good luck. Utterly disgraceful act and pathetic sentence/outcome handed down. If the incident happened in a nightclub the offender would be charged. Yet another example of the league and its subsidiaries missing the mark. I’d love to say I’m surprised but sadly I’m not when it comes to these clowns.
Doesn’t sound like a great incident at all.
This type of action needs to be eliminated from the game.
So much attention on coward punch with Danny Green and the Pat Cronin foundation, any coward punch should be automatic 8 weeks and then anything extra added on to it after that

Back