Fixture Season 2022 - Full AFL Fixture in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

In an ideal world he kicks four goals in R1 in Darwin v GC and then takes a mark after the final siren 45 out on an arc with the Swans needing a goal to win, the week before the Swans are scheduled to play the Hawks at the SCG. Now that’s drama.

This off-season I think BF, as a guardian and custodian of the game, really needs to get to the bottom of the Carlton v Richmond opener.

It's a contentious topic, perhaps too contentious, but I have no doubt if we rub our two brain cells together we'll come up with something.

I've heard this argument that the dud matches should be played earlier in the season while ratings are higher, and at the mid-point season when viewer fatigue starts setting in, you have the cream of the crop games to maintain interest.

I think this would be a good round 1 opener.

Thursday night: Fremantle v Essendon Optus
Friday night: Melbourne v Richmond MCG
Saturday: Sydney v St Kilda SCG
Saturday: W. Bulldogs v GWS Marvel
Saturday night: Collingwood v Adelaide MCG
Saturday night: Port v Brisbane AO
Sunday: Gold Coast v Hawthorn Metricon
Sunday: Carlton v Geelong MCG
Sunday: North v West Coast Marvel
Essendon playing interstate round 1 as usual I guess. Also it'll be Carlton v Richmond again
Nah
Grand Final replay as the showcase game on ANZAC Day

I have a Melbourne vs Geelong matchup opening the season Thursday Night. (Still unfurl the flag, but against another team that they had a memorable game against - Rd 23)
Won't ever happen
Assuming COVID utopia, I'd go with this. Start with the usual, Richmond-Carlton always draws well and rates well, regardless. GF re-match Friday night would go bananas I think.

Thu 24 Mar
7:20pm: Richmond v Carlton, MCG
Fri 25 Mar
7:50pm: Melbourne v Western Bulldogs, MCG
Sat 26 Mar
1:45pm: Collingwood v Brisbane Lions, Marvel Stadium
4:35pm: Port Adelaide v Hawthorn, Adelaide Oval
7:20pm: GWS v Gold Coast, GIANTS Stadium
7:40pm: Geelong v West Coast, GMHBA Stadium
Sun 27 Mar
1:10pm: Essendon v North Melbourne, Marvel Stadium
3:20pm: Sydney v St Kilda, SCG
5:40pm: Fremantle v Adelaide, Optus Stadium
This is probably the best one I've seen
Get the feeling it will be something like this....

Thursday March 24th
7:20pm: Richmond vs Carlton, MCG

Friday March 25th
7:20pm Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs, MCG

Saturday March 26th
1:45pm: St Kilda vs Brisbane, Marvel
4:35pm: Port vs Geelong, AO
7:25pm : Collingwood vs Hawthorn, MCG
7:25pm : GWS vs Adelaide, Spotless

Sunday March 27th
1:10pm: Gold Coast vs West Coast, Metricon
3:20pm : Essendon vs Sydney, MCG
5:40pm: Fremantle vs North, Optus
Us playing Sydney at home two years in a row?
Gold Coast gets the home game in Round 1 next year, meaning that I would fixture the Round 1 to something like this for the upcoming season:

Thursday, March 24th
Carlton vs. Richmond (7.20pm)-(MCG)-(Seven)

Friday, March 25th
Western Bulldogs vs. Brisbane Lions (7.30pm)-(MV)-(Seven)

Saturday, March 26th
St. Kilda vs. Essendon (1.40pm)-(MV)-(Fox Sports)
Port Adelaide vs. Greater Western Sydney (4.05pm)-(AO)-(Fox Sports)
Hawthorn vs. Collingwood (6.50pm)-(MCG)-(Seven)
Fremantle vs. Adelaide (8.10pm)-(OS)-(Fox Sports)

Sunday, March 27th
Geelong vs. West Coast (1.10pm)-(GMHBA)-(Fox Sports)
Sydney vs. Melbourne (3.20pm)-(SCG)-(Seven)
Gold Coast vs. North Melbourne (4.40pm)-(MS)-(Fox Sports)
Don't mind this one either.

I'll give it a crack this afternoon I think

What I'm predicting happens:

Thursday
Carlton vs Richmond, MCG, 7:50 PM AEDT

Friday
Melbourne vs Western Bulldogs, MCG, 7:50 AEDT

Saturday
Gold Coast vs Adelaide, Carrara, 1:40 AEDT
Geelong vs Greater Western Sydney, Kardinia Park, 4:35 AEDT
Port Adelaide vs Brisbane, Adelaide Oval, 7:20 PM AEDT
Collingwood vs West Coast, MCG, 7:40 PM AEDT

Sunday
Sydney vs North Melbourne, SCG, 1:10 PM AEDT
St. Kilda vs Hawthorne, Docklands, 3:20 PM AEDT
Fremantle vs Essendon, Perth Stadium, 4:40 AEDT

I'd be tipping Richmond, Melbourne, Gold Coast, Geelong, Port, West Coast, Sydney, St. Kilda and Essendon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I would like a GF rematch for round 1. Sick of Carlton and Richmond every year
I've been in the GF rematch camp for about 5 years now. Playing Carlton has been fun for a while, but it's a bit of a bore. Happy to play them a different time. The season opener should have wider appeal and you get that with a GF rematch, Premiers host and unfurl the flag.

Kick off the season with the two best teams from the year prior, big opportunity to play up the game for the fans too.

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

I'd be tipping Richmond, Melbourne, Gold Coast, Geelong, Port, West Coast, Sydney, St. Kilda and Essendon.
Swap the Thursday and Friday night match so the opener is the GF replay I reckon.

Also think the Sunday games are pretty weak spectacles. Maybe play Cats/Giants as the Sunday FTA game instead.

Swap the Thursday and Friday night match so the opener is the GF replay I reckon.

Also think the Sunday games are pretty weak spectacles. Maybe play Cats/Giants as the Sunday FTA game instead.
Yeah that would be fair. And it'll be Richmond/Carlton Thursday, we all know it.

I've been in the GF rematch camp for about 5 years now. Playing Carlton has been fun for a while, but it's a bit of a bore. Happy to play them a different time. The season opener should have wider appeal and you get that with a GF rematch, Premiers host and unfurl the flag.

Kick off the season with the two best teams from the year prior, big opportunity to play up the game for the fans too.
I would like to hold the GF Rematch to be the showcase game of ANZAC Day
However, I do believe the season should kick off with the premiers unfurling their flag

But I want it to be against someone good, or a rematch of a classic game the previous year.

They didn't have any memorable finals, and they really only had 3 close games last year. 2 were against bottom clubs (Adelaide and Hawthorn), so I guess by default you get a rematch of the Rd 23 blockbuster. Melbourne vs Geelong (Lets just pretend the PF didn't happen - This probably wont be an issue most years, however, Melbourne were that far and away better than everyone else that there's not much to work with when you take the Bulldogs out of the equation)

I would like to hold the GF Rematch to be the showcase game of ANZAC Day
However, I do believe the season should kick off with the premiers unfurling their flag

But I want it to be against someone good, or a rematch of a classic game the previous year.

They didn't have any memorable finals, and they really only had 3 close games last year. 2 were against bottom clubs (Adelaide and Hawthorn), so I guess by default you get a rematch of the Rd 23 blockbuster. Melbourne vs Geelong (Lets just pretend the PF didn't happen - This probably wont be an issue most years, however, Melbourne were that far and away better than everyone else that there's not much to work with when you take the Bulldogs out of the equation)
That will never happen. It will always be Essendon vs Collingwood.

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Sorry Essendon supporters unfortunately you won’t be playing in WA in Round 1 .
That’s North gig for 4:45pm Live and Exclusive on the NMFC TV network-Fox Footy for the 1st time ever 22 games on Foxtel unless some miracle happens and we get to play a final.

Sorry Essendon supporters unfortunately you won’t be playing in WA in Round 1 .
That’s North gig for 4:45pm Live and Exclusive on the NMFC TV network-Fox Footy for the 1st time ever 22 games on Foxtel unless some miracle happens and we get to play a final.
Okay.

Easter will see North Melbourne plus a night game in South Australia on Good Friday. Of course the big one is ANZAC round with Richmond vs Melbourne on Anzac Eve followed by the Anzac Day clash between Essendon and Collingwood. Anzac Eve only started in 2015 and both teams are 3-3 with the Tigers and Dees winning the last two premierships.

That will never happen. It will always be Essendon vs Collingwood.
ANZAC Day was always an event

Essendon-Collingwood was always an event

But by putting 2 good things together, it's created an ugly step-child (the return bout which sucks - And is a leech on the rivalry)
I was just having a look at the crowd stats between these 2 teams.

All crowds at the MCG (Only fair way to do it tbh)

8 meetings at the MCG prior to the ANZAC Day game - 87,507
8 meetings on ANZAC Day 1995-2002 - 84,687
8 meetings not on ANZAC Day 1995-2002 - 64,414

Edit

Following stats of MCG games between these 2 clubs

Pre-1995 ANZAC Day - 87,507
ANZAC Day 1995-2002, 2005-2019 - 87,711
Non-ANZAC Day 1995-2002, 2005-2019 - 64,528

After a rich history between these 2 clubs, and arguably the best rivalry in the league at the time. They thought they could grow upon it and create a blockbuster. Sure, that game is huge, and to this day is the biggest home and away game in the year. But it has put it's own return bout in the mirror that it's lost significance. The rivalry now is ANZAC Day. The other match is just another run of the mill game. The return bout from 1995-02, 05-19 (I've ignored the redevelopment years where capacity was severely diminished) averages 23,000 less people. That there alone shows me that their fans are there for the event that has been created. In effect, they're theatre goers.

And it's not like the day failed previously

1993 - St Kilda vs Carlton - It got it's 2nd biggest ever non-finals crowd between these 2 clubs, and this was at Waverly
1992 - Collingwood vs Hawthorn - 2nd biggest ever non-finals crowd between these 2 clubs (Behind the 1981 Queens Birthday game), and this was at Waverly
1991 - Collingwood vs Melbourne - Largest Home + Away crowd for the year (and 4th overall), and this was at Waverly
1990 - Richmond vs Fitzroy - With the exception of Fitzroy's last game in Melbourne, this ANZAC Day game was only 3k off their largest crowd of the 90s vs Richmond
1989 - Richmond vs Hawthorn - Their largest ever crowd at Waverly
1988 - St Kilda vs Essendon - It was the largest crowd between these two sides at Moorabin in 20 years (Queens Birthday '66, '68, plus '65 game)
1987 - Carlton vs Essendon - 2nd largest non-finals crowd between these 2 sides (largest is 1975 ANZAC Day....), and this was at Waverly
1986 - North Melbourne vs Geelong - Largest ever non-finals crowd between these 2 sides (and by far, 13k more than 2nd)
1985 - Carlton vs Melbourne - Biggest game at the MCG between these 2 clubs in 23 years (which was ANZAC Day '62)
1984 - Carlton vs Collingwood - 1.5k off breaking the Waverly Park crowd record between these 2 clubs
1983 - Essendon vs North Melbourne - Largest ever home and away crowd to this point, and this was at Waverly

I could keep going, but it's dinner time.

The day is the event, and every club has done something with it being one of, if not their best crowd in the matchup between the 2 clubs.
And looking at the stats. Yeah, Essendon vs Collingwood is big, but it takes away from the rivalry in the return bout.
So why not protect this rivalry from itself and share the showcase event of the home and away season?

ANZAC Day was always an event

Essendon-Collingwood was always an event

But by putting 2 good things together, it's created an ugly step-child (the return bout which sucks - And is a leech on the rivalry)
It won't happen. End of.

Easter will see North Melbourne plus a night game in South Australia on Good Friday. Of course the big one is ANZAC round with Richmond vs Melbourne on Anzac Eve followed by the Anzac Day clash between Essendon and Collingwood. Anzac Eve only started in 2015 and both teams are 3-3 with the Tigers and Dees winning the last two premierships.
Speculation or true?
There's only been a few Good Friday night games scheduled for the last 3 years

2019 - West Coast vs Port Adelaide
2020 - Port Adelaide vs West Coast (Never got played due to covid)
2021 - Adelaide vs Gold Coast

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Do the Bombers always request interstate games round 1? Seem to play away from home a lot over the past 10-15 years in the season opener.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back