Fixture Season 2022 - Full AFL Fixture in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

Sweet. Gotta love that :D

#GlamourClub

Would like to see more FTA games for Freo and North Melbourne and far far less of Richmond or Collingwood.
Unfortunately for them the AFL won't give them FTA games until they become top teams. Only way to get heaps of FTA time is to be a top team or a big club. That's the way things go.

Back in the 60s 70s and such the only teams on tv and on the late night replays were Carlton Essendon Collingwood Richmond. Time hasn't changed that much.

Unfortunately for them the AFL won't give them FTA games until they become top teams. Only way to get heaps of FTA time is to be a top team or a big club. That's the way things go.

Back in the 60s 70s and such the only teams on tv and on the late night replays were Carlton Essendon Collingwood Richmond. Time hasn't changed that much.

Unfortunately even when North were a top team/perinnel finalists under Brad Scott and before, the AFL hardly threw them a bone with good FTA coverage and fixtures

Can understand totally why their supporters have always felt bitter towards the AFL

Why not stagger the byes over 9 weeks?
The 2 with the bye can then play Thursday Night Football.
I'm actually in favour of doing something different with the bye, have every team have the same bye. Use that week to put on an under 18s state teams round, VIC vs WA, SA vs Allies, etc. play the kids at the MCG, Adelaide Oval, etc. Then next bye, swap the teams. Do it after round 8 and after round 15. Get fans excited and able to really see the elite young talent that they will draft.

You can pencil these games in:

Monday, April 18
Hawthorn v Geelong (MCG) 3.20pm

Sunday, April 24
Richmond v Melbourne (MCG) 7.20pm

Monday, April 25
Essendon v Collingwood (MCG) 3.20pm

Monday, June 13
Collingwood v Melbourne (MCG) 3.20pm

I hate Thursday night footy but unlike a brisbane game there should be 80,000 plus fans there to kick the season off
I wasn't having a go at Richmond you guys deserve it but Carlton don't.

I have had an idea that open the season with a game between the last 2 premiers so Richmond v Melbourne for instance next year (yes I know you normally play ANZAC eve.

Also on the Lions the last time we played at the G in from of crowds we drew nearly 80k FYI.

I'm actually in favour of doing something different with the bye, have every team have the same bye. Use that week to put on an under 18s state teams round, VIC vs WA, SA vs Allies, etc. play the kids at the MCG, Adelaide Oval, etc. Then next bye, swap the teams. Do it after round 8 and after round 15. Get fans excited and able to really see the elite young talent that they will draft.
I don't mind this idea at all. If we're to have the 2 byes, it makes much more sense to have them evenly spaced during the H&A season than immediately before or during the finals. Still think the latter disadvantages the 2 top 4 sides that win QF in week 1 of the finals as they lose the momentum of regular games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wasn't having a go at Richmond you guys deserve it but Carlton don't.

I have had an idea that open the season with a game between the last 2 premiers so Richmond v Melbourne for instance next year (yes I know you normally play ANZAC eve.

Also on the Lions the last time we played at the G in from of crowds we drew nearly 80k FYI.
To be fair its the only marquee game that Carlton have got and their fans actually do turn up for it even when they were total s**t

Amateur. Zero need to be floating.
Disagree, floating fixtures are essential to get the best games at the best times.

No wants to realise that the last few Friday night games are between 14th and 12th, 2nd and 18th, etc.

Disagree, floating fixtures are essential to get the best games at the best times.

No wants to realise that the last few Friday night games are between 14th and 12th, 2nd and 18th, etc.

Planning trips and matches outweighs possible dud match ups for me. Don't even care who plays Friday nights, overrated topic

Planning trips and matches outweighs possible dud match ups for me. Don't even care who plays Friday nights, overrated topic
The billion dollar broadcast deal that fuels the game is probably more important.
You can still book the weekend and 8 weeks out or more you'd know the game time.

To be fair its the only marquee game that Carlton have got and their fans actually do turn up for it even when they were total sh*t
I know what you're saying but any fans turn up in big numbers round 1.

The second clash of the season between Richmond and Carlton hasn't had as bigger crowds yes decent but not massive.

As a neutral I just want a good season opener between 2 quality teams. Whilst the AFL continues to dish this up as a season opener I find something else to watch and wait for the Friday night game.

Floating fixture only helps the armchair neutral fans

Fixed in fixture helps the diehards out.

What if I want to travel to an Adelaide-Richmond game in Melbourne.

Fixed fixture = I can book flights cheap, and maybe do a FIFO on gameday (I did this for Adelaide-Melbourne in 2016)

Floating fixture (book early) = yeah, I can book flights cheap, but I'd need 4 days accommodation, and 5 days leave from work, as the game could fall anywhere from Thursday night to Sunday Twilight. Then I need to find s**t to do to kill time. So much more money I need to spend

Floating fixture (book when game is decided) = flights are expensive. Might be unable to get annual leave in such short notice (There was a game in 2021 where I wanted to have the day off, but the fixture was delayed so late, I couldnt get it off due to not enough notice)

Historically, I felt the floating fixture was logical. But in practice in 2021. I hated it with a passion. I just got lucky. Adelaide-Hawthorn was in the 6 week block they announced early, and Adelaide-St Kilda was obvious from the get go when it'd be played (too s**t to be TNF/FNF, and too hot to be any day/twilight game - was always going to be Saturday Night so I could plan accordingly)

The only people a floating fixture helps is an armchair neutral fan who wouldn't normally watch a bad game. And channel 7 executives.

What if you work hospitality and work every Friday/Saturday Night. If you get told Essendon vs Collingwood is Friday Night rd 18, you can book it off months out. If you get told 1 week out, could you guarantee getting there?
What if you're a group of 4 who all have wives. If they know 6 months out, or, Richmond vs Melbourne is Saturday Night in rd 20, I better not book anything. The blokes can all head to the game. But if they dont know what's when, the wives might book a dinner and you mightn't be able to attend (The rd of Adelaide-Hawthorn this year in Adelaide we had a dinner booked on the Saturday Night - if the game landed then, I wouldn't have been able to attend - nek minut. Lockdown and game moved to Melbourne, but that's besides the point)

End of the day. Matchday attendance will suffer with a floating fixture. All for a slight increase in ratings in 2 or 3 games. (the primetime)

AFL have been pining for a floating fixture as a normal thing. Covid gave it to them and now they'll keep it forever.
HOPEFULLY - covid was the cause of the higher prices on flights closer to the date with reduced supply. If supply is higher, prices could be cheaper, and it might actually alleviate my biggest qualm atm.

Floating fixture only helps the armchair neutral fans

Fixed in fixture helps the diehards out.

What if I want to travel to an Adelaide-Richmond game in Melbourne.

Fixed fixture = I can book flights cheap, and maybe do a FIFO on gameday (I did this for Adelaide-Melbourne in 2016)

Floating fixture (book early) = yeah, I can book flights cheap, but I'd need 4 days accommodation, and 5 days leave from work, as the game could fall anywhere from Thursday night to Sunday Twilight. Then I need to find sh*t to do to kill time. So much more money I need to spend

Floating fixture (book when game is decided) = flights are expensive. Might be unable to get annual leave in such short notice (There was a game in 2021 where I wanted to have the day off, but the fixture was delayed so late, I couldnt get it off due to not enough notice)

Historically, I felt the floating fixture was logical. But in practice in 2021. I hated it with a passion. I just got lucky. Adelaide-Hawthorn was in the 6 week block they announced early, and Adelaide-St Kilda was obvious from the get go when it'd be played (too sh*t to be TNF/FNF, and too hot to be any day/twilight game - was always going to be Saturday Night so I could plan accordingly)

The only people a floating fixture helps is an armchair neutral fan who wouldn't normally watch a bad game. And channel 7 executives.

What if you work hospitality and work every Friday/Saturday Night. If you get told Essendon vs Collingwood is Friday Night rd 18, you can book it off months out. If you get told 1 week out, could you guarantee getting there?
What if you're a group of 4 who all have wives. If they know 6 months out, or, Richmond vs Melbourne is Saturday Night in rd 20, I better not book anything. The blokes can all head to the game. But if they dont know what's when, the wives might book a dinner and you mightn't be able to attend (The rd of Adelaide-Hawthorn this year in Adelaide we had a dinner booked on the Saturday Night - if the game landed then, I wouldn't have been able to attend - nek minut. Lockdown and game moved to Melbourne, but that's besides the point)

End of the day. Matchday attendance will suffer with a floating fixture. All for a slight increase in ratings in 2 or 3 games. (the primetime)
There's like a million what if scenarios effecting individuals. Ultimately the broadcast deal is more important than the thousand or so interstate fans who might need to know 22 weeks in advance as opposed to those who can still make it 8 weeks out.

If they decide to go with that, itl be for the broadcasters.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back