Fixture Season 2022 - Full AFL Fixture in OP

Catsnlakers

Even Hank Moody is in awe of Geelong!
Oct 2, 2016
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
L.A Angels, Anaheim Ducks & M.Stars
Disagree, floating fixtures are essential to get the best games at the best times.

No wants to realise that the last few Friday night games are between 14th and 12th, 2nd and 18th, etc.
Yes but the died in the wool footy fans have been denied going to matches for two seasons, a floating fixture is done for TV purposes, which has been used the last two seasons because we couldn’t attend, so now the AFL should set the fixture for the members who like to have the exact time & date set from the fixture release date! By March next year travel will be back up & running ( for everyone bar anti-vaxxers ) & you can guarantee interstate trips from members will be at an all time high! They’ve let down the members IMO, at all times the attendees should be given preference.

You know, based off contracts (Collingwood at MCG, specific quantity of Essendon/Carlton home games at the MCG). You could play 10 games at GMHBA (and 1 at Marvel) and cover every single contract the AFL has.
But why screw over Geelong?

I'd rather just go, eh, Marvel can have 39 games (rather than the contracted 40) myself.

This is all North Melbourne's fault. Their new contract with Tasmania handing 1 extra game to Hobart has brought Marvel under the 40 barrier. Now no matter what, 1 of Melbourne, Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood or Geelong have to throw a home game at Marvel just to make up for North/St Kilda/Bulldogs selling games elsewhere (4 for North, 2 for Bulldogs, 1 for Saints)
the other option of course would be to even up stadium deals so that said 3 tenant teams don't need to sell games to make up for the shortfall. 5 teams at the Stadium on 3 different contracts, and the AFL owns the joint

Saints round 1 since 2012-

2012 away vs Port
2013 away vs Suns
2014 home vs Melb
2015 home vs GWS
2016 away vs Port
2017 home vs Melb
2018 home vs Bris
2019 home vs Suns
2020 away vs North
2021 away vs GWS

must be time to play Brisbane again

LuckyBounce!

All Australian
May 3, 2017
AFL Club
St Kilda
Why can’t they just give us the entire 22 rounds of who is playing who but just decide the order of games a month out or whatever then channel 7 gets the best game of the weekend Friday night?
Atleast if you know you are playing say Gold Coast up there mid June you just book the time off, get cheap flights and accomodation knowing the game is there then but just not the exact day which is fine?

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Yes but the died in the wool footy fans have been denied going to matches for two seasons, a floating fixture is done for TV purposes, which has been used the last two seasons because we couldn’t attend, so now the AFL should set the fixture for the members who like to have the exact time & date set from the fixture release date! By March next year travel will be back up & running ( for everyone bar anti-vaxxers ) & you can guarantee interstate trips from members will be at an all time high! They’ve let down the members IMO, at all times the attendees should be given preference.
That's a very reasonable point

Sep 13, 2015
Hillary Step
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
76ers
You know, based off contracts (Collingwood at MCG, specific quantity of Essendon/Carlton home games at the MCG). You could play 10 games at GMHBA (and 1 at Marvel) and cover every single contract the AFL has.
But why screw over Geelong?

I'd rather just go, eh, Marvel can have 39 games (rather than the contracted 40) myself.

This is all North Melbourne's fault. Their new contract with Tasmania handing 1 extra game to Hobart has brought Marvel under the 40 barrier. Now no matter what, 1 of Melbourne, Richmond, Hawthorn, Collingwood or Geelong have to throw a home game at Marvel just to make up for North/St Kilda/Bulldogs selling games elsewhere (4 for North, 2 for Bulldogs, 1 for Saints)
It really confuses me that the AFL are contracted to play a certain number of a games at a stadium they own.

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
Why can’t they just give us the entire 22 rounds of who is playing who but just decide the order of games a month out or whatever then channel 7 gets the best game of the weekend Friday night?
Atleast if you know you are playing say Gold Coast up there mid June you just book the time off, get cheap flights and accomodation knowing the game is there then but just not the exact day which is fine?
Er that’s exactly what they did in 2021 and will do in 2022

Floating fixture only helps the armchair neutral fans

Fixed in fixture helps the diehards out.

What if I want to travel to an Adelaide-Richmond game in Melbourne.

Fixed fixture = I can book flights cheap, and maybe do a FIFO on gameday (I did this for Adelaide-Melbourne in 2016)

Floating fixture (book early) = yeah, I can book flights cheap, but I'd need 4 days accommodation, and 5 days leave from work, as the game could fall anywhere from Thursday night to Sunday Twilight. Then I need to find sh*t to do to kill time. So much more money I need to spend

Floating fixture (book when game is decided) = flights are expensive. Might be unable to get annual leave in such short notice (There was a game in 2021 where I wanted to have the day off, but the fixture was delayed so late, I couldnt get it off due to not enough notice)

Historically, I felt the floating fixture was logical. But in practice in 2021. I hated it with a passion. I just got lucky. Adelaide-Hawthorn was in the 6 week block they announced early, and Adelaide-St Kilda was obvious from the get go when it'd be played (too sh*t to be TNF/FNF, and too hot to be any day/twilight game - was always going to be Saturday Night so I could plan accordingly)

The only people a floating fixture helps is an armchair neutral fan who wouldn't normally watch a bad game. And channel 7 executives.

What if you work hospitality and work every Friday/Saturday Night. If you get told Essendon vs Collingwood is Friday Night rd 18, you can book it off months out. If you get told 1 week out, could you guarantee getting there?
What if you're a group of 4 who all have wives. If they know 6 months out, or, Richmond vs Melbourne is Saturday Night in rd 20, I better not book anything. The blokes can all head to the game. But if they dont know what's when, the wives might book a dinner and you mightn't be able to attend (The rd of Adelaide-Hawthorn this year in Adelaide we had a dinner booked on the Saturday Night - if the game landed then, I wouldn't have been able to attend - nek minut. Lockdown and game moved to Melbourne, but that's besides the point)

End of the day. Matchday attendance will suffer with a floating fixture. All for a slight increase in ratings in 2 or 3 games. (the primetime)

I agree as a North fan pre Covid I was able to go and see one or two of our Tassie games by jumping on sales that happen 3 to 6 months in advance we talking 35 to 45 dollars each way. Went over to adelaide once as well. Really hate the idea of a floating fixture.

It even puts me off buying a premium membership. I run my social life around the fixture they are writen on the calander and things are booked around it. We live regional so other Melbourne things are booking pre post game. Floating fixture oh dam it we booked to see some event that now clashes with the game.

I dont mind occasionally giving up 20 dollar value to miss a game but if your paying 100 a game its different

Last edited:
Also what is with this Thursday night rubbish. Didnt they not long prior to covid say they were dumping Thursday night games and cutting the price of pies as fans werent happy

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Also what is with this Thursday night rubbish. Didnt they not long prior to covid say they were dumping Thursday night games and cutting the price of pies as fans werent happy

Agree.
Round 1 2 & 23 should be the only time Thursday night footy is played.

Yep exactly how other team supporters feel about the Tigers sooking about having to play at the Cattery
And when they have to play games over at Marvel Stadium as well lets not forget ;)

Nov 10, 2013
The Valley near the Alley
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Other Teams
Hell no
You sure? I thought floating fixture means we only know the first 10 rounds and the rest won’t even be announced until much later?
yeh we knew the match ups last year and venues, just not the day of the week. with covid some venues changed also, but the original fixtures were released with all matchups
im sure i could find a fixture release pdf somewhere on my pc

Punt rd end

67🏆69🏆73🏆74🏆80🏆17🏆19🏆20🏆
Nov 25, 2015
Shane Warne Stand
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Richmond VFL Richmond VFLW AFLW
Yep exactly how other team supporters feel about the Tigers sooking about having to play at the Cattery
You don't have enough seats for your own members let alone anyone else's, financial wizards down there

You don't have enough seats for your own members let alone anyone else's, financial wizards down there
If only they stopped stupidly paying the umpires every single home game in Geelong for them to win, they might just have more a lot $$$$ to spend to help increase their stadium capacity over there at the Cattery to host those "prime" matches :p

Sky

Doctor Demise
Feb 14, 2021
NT
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Raptors, Storm, Chelsea
If it comes down to Melbourne vs Richmond like I assume then I hope it’s Richmond.

Mentallo

Premiership Player
Apr 23, 2005
Your minds eye.
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Good ol' floating fixture after Round 5 / 6.

Will the WA border be open by March?

I hate quoting myself from 2 weeks ago but.......

Australian sporting codes were thrown into chaos by WA premier Mark McGowan’s statement this week that it could be as late as June before borders are fully opened with eastern states.

The AFL’s fixture for 2021 is due out late in November but it will be hard for the league to schedule games involving West Coast and Fremantle with such uncertainty.

Dockers v Eagles Derby at the G 2022. :think:

Back