Fixture Season 2022 - Full AFL Fixture in OP

Remove this Banner Ad

I hate quoting myself from 2 weeks ago but.......

Dockers v Eagles Derby at the G 2022. :think:
McGowan didn't actually say "as late as June", that's a deceptive interpretation of it.

He said "when the time is right in the first half of next year". It was never likely to be much later than Feb or March - at this stage it looks like it'll be by the end of January based on today's roadmap announcement. Better still, they've downgraded NSW, and VIC will likely follow in the weeks to come which should make things a tad easier.

Unfortunately for them the AFL won't give them FTA games until they become top teams. Only way to get heaps of FTA time is to be a top team or a big club. That's the way things go.

Back in the 60s 70s and such the only teams on tv and on the late night replays were Carlton Essendon Collingwood Richmond. Time hasn't changed that much.

That's the one thing that was good about the 2021 fixture, covid forced the floatibg fixture so we generally got good games in primetime instead of Richmond/Carlton/Essendon on constant cycle.

Last edited:

Funnily enough I reckon 2021 was the most Richmond has ever been on Thursday/Friday night

Maybe but we didn't get so much of Essendon/Carlton. Every year the AFL gives them a tonne of primetime games because they have large supporter bases and are talked up each year as being "contenders".

Then by round 5 the AFL is like

Funnily enough I reckon 2021 was the most Richmond has ever been on Thursday/Friday night
That at least makes sense though. The gifting of prime time to Carlton and Essendon is a different situation. Remember that season a few years back when Carlton got a shitload of prime time games and shat the bed?

Not every game can be on Ch7, at least the locals can watch it live and free.

Would be nice for Freo's sponsors if they could get national coverage though. Lord knows the 4 teams that will be guaranteed national coverage that weekend (Melbourne, Richmond, Essendon and Collingwood) will get enough nationally broadcast games next year, Freo might get one if they're lucky.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Would be nice for Freo's sponsors if they could get national coverage though. Lord knows the 4 teams that will be guaranteed national coverage that weekend (Melbourne, Richmond, Essendon and Collingwood) will get enough nationally broadcast games next year, Freo might get one if they're lucky.
National broadcast = Melbourne broadcast. Give up your games on local fta (which costs the AFL broadcast rev) and then national broadcasts wont have to favour Melbourne teams.

National broadcast = Melbourne broadcast. Give up your games on local fta (which costs the AFL broadcast rev) and then national broadcasts wont have to favour Melbourne teams.
They still would though. Freo would be in the North basket of getting 2-3 games on FTA and the rest of Foxtel

This is an interesting argument. I was about to start a thread on it, but I'm not great with words, so just deleted the thread in draft stages.

I actually agree with you. We should do it.

But would it happen.

Would fans of the non-victorian teams offset getting access to all games, for less games, but better timeslots?
Would the network be willing to give up double-dipping into multiple markets at the same time?

And would it help clubs? (I think it'd help more than it hurts - I think 6 are better off and up to 4 are worse off)

End of the day, why would 7 give up airing Essendon vs Hawthorn into Vic/sa/wa while getting to double dip and air sydney vs Brisbane into qld/nsw?
We would need more people to move over to kayo/foxtel. Would motivate 7 to air the best game possible.

I guess it will be Rnd 2 Sydney v Hawthorn at MCG. The rest of the fixture can fold in around it.
We'll drag Franklin after his third, then ping the ball at young Logan McD for the second half in Rnd 1. Sounds like a predictable plan.
Just make sure the AFL suspends all betting on that Rnd 1 game, or we'll cop a $500K fine for match fixing.

And would it help clubs? (I think it'd help more than it hurts - I think 6 are better off and up to 4 are worse off)

End of the day, why would 7 give up airing Essendon vs Hawthorn into Vic/sa/wa while getting to double dip and air sydney vs Brisbane into qld/nsw?
We would need more people to move over to kayo/foxtel. Would motivate 7 to air the best game possible.
This is why I'm a fan of going back to having 2 FTA partners, each doing 2-3 games a week each.

+ Port is also hoping for at least two games at the MCG, a venue it played at twice in 2021, notching wins over both Collingwood and Carlton.

+ Like many clubs after the past two interrupted seasons, the Magpies want to give their army of supporters the best chance of seeing the most football next year with a draw heavy on matches at the MCG.

+ Easter thurs for Bris/Pies.
+ Brisbane is also hoping to avoid a trip to Ballarat – where it has played the Western Bulldogs two of the past three seasons – in a play to get more matches in Melbourne in front of its Fitzroy fans.
+ Gold Coast has requested its game in Sir Doug Nicholls Round to be played in Darwin.

Other requests:

- North Melbourne is expected to again pitch for a Good Friday contest that it has staged since 2017

- Melbourne wants to start its season with a Grand Final rematch against the Western Bulldogs where it can unveil the premiership flag in front of its members

- Essendon is working on a single match to celebrate its 150th season, preferably against another Victorian club

- Greater Western Sydney wants at least two home matches before early April when it loses access to Giants Stadium for six weeks to accommodate Sydney's Easter Show. The Giants are also keen on at least one, and possibly two, Friday night games in Canberra.

- West Coast has asked for its home matches to be played on Saturday nights to accommodate its country members. The Eagles played five home games on Sunday afternoons and two on Monday nights in 2021.

- It has been reported Hawthorn has put in a request for its game on the Anzac Day weekend to be played in Launceston.

- Adelaide has asked for more games to be shown on free-to-air television.

- It has also been reported Sydney wants to start the season at the SCG with superstar forward Lance Franklin just five goals away from reaching the 1000 mark.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/687057/...anzac-day-will-it-be-a-good-friday-for-north-

+ Port is also hoping for at least two games at the MCG, a venue it played at twice in 2021, notching wins over both Collingwood and Carlton.

+ Like many clubs after the past two interrupted seasons, the Magpies want to give their army of supporters the best chance of seeing the most football next year with a draw heavy on matches at the MCG.

+ Brisbane is also hoping to avoid a trip to Ballarat – where it has played the Western Bulldogs two of the past three seasons – in a play to get more matches in Melbourne in front of its Fitzroy fans.
+ Gold Coast has requested its game in Sir Doug Nicholls Round to be played in Darwin.

Other requests:

- North Melbourne is expected to again pitch for a Good Friday contest that it has staged since 2017

- Melbourne wants to start its season with a Grand Final rematch against the Western Bulldogs where it can unveil the premiership flag in front of its members

- Essendon is working on a single match to celebrate its 150th season, preferably against another Victorian club

- Greater Western Sydney wants at least two home matches before early April when it loses access to Giants Stadium for six weeks to accommodate Sydney's Easter Show. The Giants are also keen on at least one, and possibly two, Friday night games in Canberra.

- West Coast has asked for its home matches to be played on Saturday nights to accommodate its country members. The Eagles played five home games on Sunday afternoons and two on Monday nights in 2021.

- It has been reported Hawthorn has put in a request for its game on the Anzac Day weekend to be played in Launceston.

- It has also been reported Sydney wants to start the season at the SCG with superstar forward Lance Franklin just five goals away from reaching the 1000 mark.

https://www.afl.com.au/news/687057/...anzac-day-will-it-be-a-good-friday-for-north-
We will probably play Brisbane at Marvel instead this year, so maybe Gold Coast and Adelaide in Ballarat this time?

Other requests:

Why don't Sydney play away in round 1? If Franklin kicks 4... yeah, I guess if the game is on the line, you want him out there, preferably near the goals. But it'd be ironic if he doesn't kick 1000 until round two. Maybe Sydney could get 2 home games to start the season?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back