Review Season 2022

Remove this Banner Ad

2022 can suck a dick. Glad it’s over, we survived it. TBH it was over for me after JK retired, the last two weeks were a strange kind of preseason game for me.

The second half of last year and the first half of this year were so bad. The worst in our clubs history.

Since the bye there HAS been a difference in the players attitudes and commitment. That makes me feel a little better about where we are as a team. The coach has not lost the players, the effort is there. We all know we have not been fit enough this year. Right from the get go we were behind the eight ball. Now the club has a chance to show they know that too and preseason is where the work starts to turn that around.

It hasn’t been a total waste of a year. Xon, Culley, Hough, Bazzo, Barrass have been shining lights. If I squint hard enough, I can even see something in BW. Add the first top five draft pick we have had since Gaff and who knows?

We are at the bottom and the only way is up. I still have faith that the club will rebuild quickly. I look at clubs that knife their coaches as quick as look at them and am glad we have never been on that merry go round. The club is stable, they have worked through this before and can do so again.

I still love this club and can’t wait to see how they respond next year. 💙💛 🦅

Obviously it’s not just about them playing but also having some continuity and fitness. Can’t simplify it to “Yeo played back end of last year, why couldn’t he keep up with Danger and Oliver”.

Our list isn’t in the bottom 8 teams, do you reckon there could be a correlation the other way in the injuries affecting preparation? Our S+C team needs a serious look at either way as the rehab is definitely not good enough.

This year it’s impossible to comment on the credits system, usually we only have 22 to select from. Im very very hopeful that next year it ends but we will have to see I guess.

No chance we are bottom 2 next year.

Our list is in the bottom 8 teams… clearly.. … who in the top 8 has a worse list?

This sort of sums up our woeful, pathetic ineffective, disorganised season....... actually it's a bit like watching the ball being transitioned through and past our flat footed midfield, who are guarding space, as the opposition effortlessly surge with run and carry the ball toward their goals.

4tRF.gif

Been following and supporting West Coast from day one, I was at Subiaco Oval barracking when we played our first game for Premiership Points against Richmond.

There have been some glorious highs since that day and some depressing lows too.

Season 2022 goes close to being IMO ...... our worst season EVER.

We have been told that change and a new direction, thats upward in trajectory, is on the way.

I must say I am hoping for the best but, if I am honest, I am neither convinced nor confident that 2023 season will be much better.

IMO we are in for another two / three years of pain and shyte before ....... the tide starts to turn significantly.

No offence mate but the fact you think there is 16 teams speaks volumes.

Where have I said that. You said our list wasn’t in the bottom 8 sides. I said we were. If you want to haggle over team
9 and 10 do it.. outside of North we clearly have the worst list… so number 17 out of 18.

Where have I said that. You said our list wasn’t in the bottom 8 sides. I said we were. If you want to haggle over team
9 and 10 do it.. outside of North we clearly have the worst list… so number 17 out of 18.
You told me to name a top 8 team our list was better than…

Hawks, Adelaide, Saints and Essendon all have absolute nothing lists.

I’d also argue that Richmond, Collingwood and GWS don’t have a heap of young talent coming through and aren’t good enough to win a flag now (may be proven wrong in a couple of weeks). Daicos, Bolton, Green and Taylor obviously stand out but their youth certainly doesn’t run very deep.

Allen, Hough, Culley, Bazzo, Edwards, Williams, Chesser matches up pretty well with all the teams I’ve named.

I’d also be taking Norths list before most of the teams I’ve named for what it’s worth, especially the first five.

1. If we don’t get S&C right it doesn’t matter how good our list is.

2. Our list is poor. Top tier is injury prone or past their best. And won’t be around for our next dynasty anyway. Almost none of our second tier have shown enough - often enough. And while some of our third tier may? develop into some very good players none have shown the flashes of brilliance indicating a potential champ or two.

3. With a full list I think 8th to 10th is about all we’re capable of next season. And for me top four or PF is success. I can’t see us there for few years now.

4. Vale 2022.

Junior streaming into an open goal and converting, only to be pinged for running too far when the ump didn't see him bounce the ball just about sums up our season I reckon. All it needed would have been a 100m penalty the other way and Geelong to kick a goal and it would have been a very apt representation of season 2022.

Bring on 2023!

You told me to name a top 8 team our list was better than…

Hawks, Adelaide, Saints and Essendon all have absolute nothing lists.

I’d also argue that Richmond, Collingwood and GWS don’t have a heap of young talent coming through and aren’t good enough to win a flag now (may be proven wrong in a couple of weeks). Daicos, Bolton, Green and Taylor obviously stand out but their youth certainly doesn’t run very deep.

Allen, Hough, Culley, Bazzo, Edwards, Williams, Chesser matches up pretty well with all the teams I’ve named.

I’d also be taking Norths list before most of the teams I’ve named for what it’s worth, especially the first five.

How can you name chesser for a start? He has barely played a game in three years. Allens missed a full year.. Culley is a tackling machine but doesn’t seem to have much else. Hopefully will show it after a pre season.

Adelaides kids are miles ahead of ours. How many rising star noms have we had the last three years? The least of any club even with our injury issues.

How can you name chesser for a start? He has barely played a game in three years. Allens missed a full year.. Culley is a tackling machine but doesn’t seem to have much else. Hopefully will show it after a pre season.

Adelaides kids are miles ahead of ours. How many rising star noms have we had the last three years? The least of any club even with our injury issues.
Adelaide could be a fair shout, to be honest.

Looking at their kids though only Rachele has truly shown to have any A grade qualities.

Allen has shown far more than any key forward on their list, Forgarty shown the most so far but he seems a bit of a tweener like Waterman (obviously a far superior player), obviously Thilthorpe could be a gun but he’s had a pretty poor year (to be expected for a 20 year old tall) and Gollant looks alright when we’ve seen him.

Butts looks the goods but is a year younger than Barrass, questionable when he stops being a kid. Murray and Worrell edge Bazzo and Edwards currently but I feel our pair project to be better players long term.

Biggest difference is in their proven ability in the midfield, Soligo, Berry, Sholl and Schoenberg have all shown they can play AFL.

I’d argue O’Neil, Culley and Hough have done the same, although have had less opportunity to do so.

Adelaide certainly have more kids but I rate our young spine to have more potential. Right now their list looks better for sure, I believe our young kids have more potential to turn into elite players.

Only elite projects I see on their list are Rachele and Thilthorpe. Allen, Hough, Edwards and Bazzo in my opinion all have more potential than anyone else on their list.

Rising star noms aren’t the best indicator in my opinion, how did you rate Hough’s year?

On Chesser I am a massive massive fan, has all the tools and attitude to be a gun.

Fair enough call though as they definitely have the best list of all the teams I named.

As Simmo says (ad nauseum) - 'We've got to get better'.

We saw some better signs late in the season with pressure acts, which means that Simmo hasn't lost the players entirely.

Loved seeing Bunga play well this season, and Barrass becoming a force down back. Our backline looks shored up with Barrass, Bazzo, and HEdwards. We just need another good dashing HBF'er that isn't injury prone. Cole?

Every other line is pretty screwed though. Hoping WC now realises that this is what happens when you run with a credits in the bank system and changes it up in 2023.

Simmo to see WCE through the next couple of seasons and hopefully will be ready to move on post 2025.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Darling had his detractors early but recovered well and will lead our forward line for the next 3 or 4 years
The way ppl on here treated darling after his stance was disgraceful
These two things are related. What happened happened but you can't deny that effectively giving up his preseason didn't hamper his season. Was one of our best in the back half of the season.

We really sucked early. Covid knocked us about
Some of the top ups provided most of the positives in the early stages of the season
Hough was a great pick. He belongs in the league
Bazzo is primed for a 3rd tall defender role next year
Darling had his detractors early but recovered well and will lead our forward line for the next 3 or 4 years
Mcgovern was in great form before injury
Barrass showed he's the man without gov in

Injuries sucked along with covid
The way ppl on here treated darling after his stance was disgraceful
Too many passengers most weeks, not sure what the plan is if we're re-signing our oldies
Missed the top pick

On SM-G973F using BigFooty.com mobile app
We really sucked early.
We really sucked in the middle of the season.
We really sucked at the back end of the season.

With a couple of notable exceptions our youth sucked.
With a couple of notable exceptions our experienced players sucked.

Without exception our S&C team sucked.
Our selection policy sucked. Credits in the bank sucks as a selection policy.

I have never been so thankful that an AFL season is finished. It sucked.

The only thing that would make this AFL year suck more is if Freo win the flag.

The first half of the season was a trainwreck. As others have said, injuries (and stupidity) destroyed any preseason we had and then Covid was icing on the cake. For those who could get on the park, there was a clear disparity in effort between the newer players and the old guard, which the club is still yet to address. Despite results, I enjoyed watching the back half of the season as there was a clear signal of intent and talent in our ranks - Hough, Bazzo, Culley are all AFL calibre and Bailey Williams has put together some good games late.

There are certainly coaching gaps to address as both McGovern and Barrass had good seasons but seemingly not at the same time. Short of a miracle, we will have to build a midfield capable of winning the ball without a dominant tap ruckman. But out biggest issue to address this offseason is strength and conditioning. We can't be having so many players unavailable year round and play games with multiple players underdone. Addressing this has to be a non-negotiable this offseason.

We really sucked early.
We really sucked in the middle of the season.
We really sucked at the back end of the season.

With a couple of notable exceptions our youth sucked.
With a couple of notable exceptions our experienced players sucked.

Without exception our S&C team sucked.
Our selection policy sucked. Credits in the bank sucks as a selection policy.

I have never been so thankful that an AFL season is finished. It sucked.

The only thing that would make this AFL year suck more is if Freo win the flag.

IMG_0433.JPG

In Homer we trust

Dumpster Fire GIF by MOODMAN

Not sure if I'm in the minority but I still think 2001 and 2008 were worse. 2010 I was overseas and missed most of it but from memory we were pretty competitive for a 4-18 side (77% much better than the 65% in each of 2001 and 2008) and could've easily won more games. 2008 we used 38 players and had plenty of premiership players available. 2010 we also used 38. This year 47 and no one managed every game. Darling and Redden both played 21. Waterman played 20 and I honestly thought he'd been in and out of the team.

We all know the reasons the season was a train wreck, and we were never recovering from a horrendous 1-10 start no matter who came back into the side. Today notwithstanding, the floggings largely dried up in the second half of the year. We still sucked, but you could at least watch games and think 'hey a fit Yeo and McGovern and Allen back into that side and we win that' a few times.

Next year will be interesting as we don't know what the 22 will look like in Rd 1 (#credits) and we don't know if our ceiling is just a 5 win team now, or whether we'll be competitive enough to at least look like one of those teams that could play finals even if they fall away later in the year.

This sort of sums up our woeful, pathetic ineffective, disorganised season....... actually it's a bit like watching the ball being transitioned through and past our flat footed midfield, who are guarding space, as the opposition effortlessly surge with run and carry the ball toward their goals.

View attachment 1484776

Been following and supporting West Coast from day one, I was at Subiaco Oval barracking when we played our first game for Premiership Points against Richmond.

There have been some glorious highs since that day and some depressing lows too.

Season 2022 goes close to being IMO ...... our worst season EVER.

We have been told that change and a new direction, thats upward in trajectory, is on the way.

I must say I am hoping for the best but, if I am honest, I am neither convinced nor confident that 2023 season will be much better.

IMO we are in for another two / three years of pain and shyte before ....... the tide starts to turn significantly.
In 2010 when we won the wooden spoon we had 4 wins with a percentage of 77%, this year it’s 2 wins at 59%. In my opinion we were very lucky to win both of those games too.
This is easily the worse season ever!
I was also at the 1st ever game against Richmond at Subi oval.
I have always been a passionate WC supporter, but this year I have been disgusted by our performances so many times, how did it come to this?
Sorry to say that West Coast footy club has brought me no joy this year.
I’m firmly in the camp that Simpson needs to be shown the door.

In 2010 when we won the wooden spoon we had 4 wins with a percentage of 77%, this year it’s 2 wins at 59%. In my opinion we were very lucky to win both of those games too.
This is easily the worse season ever!
I was also at the 1st ever game against Richmond at Subi oval.
I have always been a passionate WC supporter, but this year I have been disgusted by our performances so many times, how did it come to this?
Sorry to say that West Coast footy club has brought me no joy this year.
I’m firmly in the camp that Simpson needs to be shown the door.

I can certainly relate to many of the points that you have raised, to which in the main, I am in agreement with.

This year has been in many ways an anomaly and if it had just been this year in isolation, I could then have begrudgingly, accepted it and moved on.

However it hasn't been in isolation as each year since our Premiership in 2018, has got progressively worse.

I cant help but wonder if the focus since the bye on tackling and upping the anti with, pressure acts, had been a "focussed priority" the last three seasons, then the results would have been different.

Now some things you can cover up and gloss over as a Club and you will get away with, to an extent.
But the optics haven't lied, there has been a lowering and diminishing level of intensity and standards, for far too long.

Jack Darling spoke a month or so ago, commenting on how the intensity had risen at training and gone up a notch.
Simo and the more articulate leaders at the Club, have been able to massage the narrative, with comments that either diluted or refuted such accusations.
Jack's not the deepest thinker at the Club and he called it for what it was ..... in plain language..... you see , the truth is, that for standards and intensity to have risen, that's a verification and acknowledgement, that at some point they had slipped and consequently been lowered.

That to me is the most damming aspect of our demise and is an indictment, on both the coaching staff and the leadership group.

However, at the end of the day the upholder and driver of playing and training standards lies, first and foremost, with the Senior Coach.

On the idea of Simpson needing to be shown the door.
I am indifferent to just when it happens, be that now, or in a year or two's time.

Our list needs that much of an overhaul, that it won't be done in a single draft, more like a period of two to three more drafts.
So it's sort of, neither here nor there, for me, if he is moved on now or latter, as I look for the silver lining and I see it this way.
If he has another s**t year at the controls, we get another haul of better draft picks, conversely if he makes the right adjustments then we are on the way to righting the ship.

Do I think he is up to it, I suspect not but I am happy to be proven wrong and I get the school of thought that because of his track record, of Premiership success, he is afforded the benefit of the doubt.
Whilst I don't necessarily fully endorse that, I can live with it in the short term.

What I don't want to see is more of the same, with the credits in the bank, blind faith in the old players BS.
If we continue to blood the youth and back them, then I can live with that and accept the accompanying growing pains.

Although I am nervous that we are still going down the path of holding on to all the "geriatrics", going into next season.
We have re-signed Shuey, Redden has hit his triggers to play on and we are still waiting the hear the outcome of Hurn's future.
If they all play on then we need to cut deep into culling the depth / fringe players.
We cant keep both the oldies and the list cloggers.
In a perfect world we trim from both groups.

The next month will be a good indication of where we are going, as the delistings and list culling is undertaken and announced.

I must also say that the Coaching is only one of the many components, that our Club needs to improve:

Fitness, S&C needs an urgent overhaul.
Player development is also a major concern.

So, if we address these and refresh and restock our list, then there are plenty of opportunities to improve.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back