Giants
Bottom6
Sun's
Saints
Bombers
Crows
Hawks
Roos

Can see the 2 top/bottom teams sliding up or down a group in just about every category.
Don't see us kicking enough goals to threaten the top 8.

On SM-S906E using BigFooty.com mobile app
Dogs and Freo won't make the 8. Both had shocking form by the time finals came around and are weaker after the trade period.

I could see Cats slip out of top 4 (their squad is on a downward trajectory due to age and retirements). Blues or Tigers could jump straight into the top 4.

Pies could easily miss the 8 (won a lot of close games to get there), Port could scrape in as well.

Strange prophecy freo to drop, they have just gained Jackson & O'meara, 2 proven players the rest of the team are young enough so they will only improve & the captain is looking very good at training. Prefer to have there list than WCE list to many older guys hanging on, we need to play only 1 player a game that is over 30 years of age. unless we get serious about the rebuild we will end up wooden spooners.

Strange prophecy freo to drop, they have just gained Jackson & O'meara, 2 proven players the rest of the team are young enough so they will only improve & the captain is looking very good at training. Prefer to have there list than WCE list to many older guys hanging on, we need to play only 1 player a game that is over 30 years of age. unless we get serious about the rebuild we will end up wooden spooners.

They have no forward line and teams will be focussing more on them this year with what is almost certainly a tougher fixture. Have people forgot the players freo lost on the way to what they gained. Also almost every one of their fringe players had best in career seasons last year. It is highly unlikely that happens again. Freo and Collingwood are the two most likely to drop significantly imo.

They have no forward line and teams will be focussing more on them this year with what is almost certainly a tougher fixture. Have people forgot the players freo lost on the way to what they gained. Also almost every one of their fringe players had best in career seasons last year. It is highly unlikely that happens again. Freo and Collingwood are the two most likely to drop significantly imo.

Don't think Collingwood will drop, but I can definitely see Freo falling. Reckon we will finish higher than them in 2023.

Serious about the rebuild??? How serious would you like us to be? Our older and more experienced players will be mentoring the new young guns and help develop their skills and footy smarts.
watch and enjoy the climb back up the ladder and our new surge for finals within 2 years.
I reckon a top four tilt within 3-4 years or sooner is well within our capabilities.
I see that you are a debutant so i suggest you study up on some W.C history and stats to see how long we stay a bottom team, i assure you it is not long.

Just to the above post going into the draft this year, this was the world west coast list i'd ever seen.

I don't think we can take the past and expect it to play out that way again, particularly with dilution of talent. I think even blowing drafting out of the park we are still 2 years away from our lowest point. We may bounce up a bit this year but i expect 2025 to be the low point. Last year was a bit like 2008, a perfect storm of everything that could go wrong, going wrong.

Exactly.

Lost Lobb gained Jackson. Who's the better forward?

Lost Mundy gained O'Meara. Similar ability but one knew the Freo system and the new guy needs to learn it and the playing group.

The fringe players who left did have a good 2022 season.

And yes the fixture will be harder. Hopefully we win one out of two games.

We just delisted a player under contract and moved two others onto the rookie list.

Redden was a surprise early retirement.

We picked up a FA with speed to help the kids and evolve the game plan.

We avoided trading in multiple mature players.

Hawthorn just followed Norths lead and axed most of their mature age players over 30. It will be interesting watching how they go versus our strategy of bringing in youth but support them with hardened experienced leaders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JD needs 16 more goals to crack the 500

and 30 to overtake Peter Sumich on 514 and be 2nd all time (and prob will stay 2nd for many years with no one else really close).

Not a bad career

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

Wild to think that Suma stood alone for so many years, then we had two from the same generation overtake him (hopefully haven't just jinxed Jack).

500 goals as second fiddle is pretty impressive.

Gonna be hard for anyone to crack 500 again the way the game is played.

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

15 year career.

Average 30 goals a season for 10 years and 50 goals a season for 5. Not an overly high marker. Thats 550 goals for comparison. 15 year career 260-280 games.

6,6,6 with quick kicks to marking talls out of the middle. It's easier for big forwards to kick goals now than it was 10 years ago.

Serious about the rebuild??? How serious would you like us to be? Our older and more experienced players will be mentoring the new young guns and help develop their skills and footy smarts.
watch and enjoy the climb back up the ladder and our new surge for finals within 2 years.
I reckon a top four tilt within 3-4 years or sooner is well within our capabilities.
I see that you are a debutant so i suggest you study up on some W.C history and stats to see how long we stay a bottom team, i assure you it is not long.
I wish. We have few if any champions in our under 27s and you need a few of those plus a swag of very good players to get to a PF or top four.

If you look at our list there are 18 players (incl Hunt) that the MC have shown they will pick if fit. And that does not include Hough, Bazzo or JJ. And that doesn't include players who've shown little in 50+ games some/all of whom will probably also get games (Petro, SPS, Witherden and Rotham).

Also of the 18 MC favourites, 11 will be 27 or over come Round One (and most/all won't be in our next PF team). So, yes, while you do need some older players to act as mentors we have way too many.

So it means there are 15 'fringe players' who'll be competing for four spots (five incl medi sub). Sure there'll be some injuries but unless we have another catastrophic run then realistically there'll be SFA opportunities for those 15.

Oh and then there are the draftees. I imagine we also want to see some/all of them get a few games.

So unless the MC take a very different tack, then we'll go back to 2021 where LEdwards, XON, Foley, HEdwards etc etc played one or two (maybe out of position) then maybe another one or two many weeks later. For real development we need our fringe players (and appropriate draftees) to get multiple games - in position.

It really depends on whether the MC want the maximum wins next year (i.e. by selecting their favourite 18 each week) or take a longer term perspective (which I'd argue will bring us to a PF quicker) and play more of the fringe players/draftees.

(PS: And just because someone is a debutant it doesn't mean they have no knowledge. Apples and oranges.)

I wish. We have few if any champions in our under 27s and you need a few of those plus a swag of very good players to get to a PF or top four.

If you look at our list there are 18 players (incl Hunt) that the MC have shown they will pick if fit. And that does not include Hough, Bazzo or JJ. And that doesn't include players who've shown little in 50+ games some/all of whom will probably also get games (Petro, SPS, Witherden and Rotham).

Also of the 18 MC favourites, 11 will be 27 or over come Round One (and most/all won't be in our next PF team). So, yes, while you do need some older players to act as mentors we have way too many.

So it means there are 15 'fringe players' who'll be competing for four spots (five incl medi sub). Sure there'll be some injuries but unless we have another catastrophic run then realistically there'll be SFA opportunities for those 15.

Oh and then there are the draftees. I imagine we also want to see some/all of them get a few games.

So unless the MC take a very different tack, then we'll go back to 2021 where LEdwards, XON, Foley, HEdwards etc etc played one or two (maybe out of position) then maybe another one or two many weeks later. For real development we need our fringe players (and appropriate draftees) to get multiple games - in position.

It really depends on whether the MC want the maximum wins next year (i.e. by selecting their favourite 18 each week) or take a longer term perspective (which I'd argue will bring us to a PF quicker) and play more of the fringe players/draftees.

(PS: And just because someone is a debutant it doesn't mean they have no knowledge. Apples and oranges.)

So in a nutshell if the MC do not embrace the rebuild approach we don't improve?

They were forced to do that last year.

The MC were forced to pick a younger side last year due to covid and injuries. Youngsters got games experience they normally wouldn't. So in that respect those kids are ahead of the curve.

And considering they can no longer select Kennedy, Redden, Rioli, Nelson plus a host of add on players the next generation gets more of a go.

We will select players based on form and have a blend of youth and experience. If finals are gone by mid season then injured players will tap out and go in early for surgery and the fit kids get games.

Really don't know why you think the MC will fall back into 2020 mode.

So in a nutshell if the MC do not embrace the rebuild approach we don't improve?

They were forced to do that last year.

The MC were forced to pick a younger side last year due to covid and injuries. Youngsters got games experience they normally wouldn't. So in that respect those kids are ahead of the curve.

And considering they can no longer select Kennedy, Redden, Rioli, Nelson plus a host of add on players the next generation gets more of a go.

We will select players based on form and have a blend of youth and experience. If finals are gone by mid season then injured players will tap out and go in early for surgery and the fit kids get games.

Really don't know why you think the MC will fall back into 2020 mode.

Given we finished second bottom, surely so long as turn up we improve?

But I'm concerned about the rate of improvement. We have 11 guys (incl Hunt) who'll be over 27 come Rd1. By any stretch they'll play little or no part in our next PF team. So it is vital to get games into those who will/might be in that PF squad. (Or at least have a better idea of who is/isn't worth investing in.)

I am not so sure we will pick players purely on form. We have seen in the past 'credits' seem to matter greatly to the MC.

The point I'm making is that there'll be relatively few spots available if the MC are true to form.

Those 11 are Hurn (35), NicNat (32), Shuey (32), Gov (30), Cripps (30), JD (30), Gaff (30), Yeo (29), TK (28), Hunt (27) and Sheed (27). Realistically, which of those will the MC drop to the WAFL?

And the other seven the MC seem to favour are TB (26), Ryan (26), Duggan (26), Cole (25), Waterman (24), Oscar (23) and BWilliams (22). Maybe Waterman or Cole might be on shaky ground. Ryan?

And as mentioned that ignores Bazzo, Hough and JJ as well as Petro, SPS, Rotham and Witherden - many (all?) of whom will get games and some might get many.

Doesn't leave many spots for the 15 'fringe' players (as well as draftees).

It's easy to say 'youth and experience' but - realistically - who gets dropped?

Given we finished second bottom, surely so long as turn up we improve?

But I'm concerned about the rate of improvement. We have 11 guys (incl Hunt) who'll be over 27 come Rd1. By any stretch they'll play little or no part in our next PF team. So it is vital to get games into those who will/might be in that PF squad. (Or at least have a better idea of who is/isn't worth investing in.)

I am not so sure we will pick players purely on form. We have seen in the past 'credits' seem to matter greatly to the MC.

The point I'm making is that there'll be relatively few spots available if the MC are true to form.

Those 11 are Hurn (35), NicNat (32), Shuey (32), Gov (30), Cripps (30), JD (30), Gaff (30), Yeo (29), TK (28), Hunt (27) and Sheed (27). Realistically, which of those will the MC drop to the WAFL?

And the other seven the MC seem to favour are TB (26), Ryan (26), Duggan (26), Cole (25), Waterman (24), Oscar (23) and BWilliams (22). Maybe Waterman or Cole might be on shaky ground. Ryan?

And as mentioned that ignores Bazzo, Hough and JJ as well as Petro, SPS, Rotham and Witherden - many (all?) of whom will get games and some might get many.

Doesn't leave many spots for the 15 'fringe' players (as well as draftees).

It's easy to say 'youth and experience' but - realistically - who gets dropped?

Players down on form get dropped.

Injuries force changes or reduce depth.

Young, fit, hungry players push for selection.

Its how lists develop and rebuild.

One way or another we will definitely find out.
I am taking the positive option as change is always inevitable.

Just to the above post going into the draft this year, this was the world west coast list i'd ever seen.

I don't think we can take the past and expect it to play out that way again, particularly with dilution of talent. I think even blowing drafting out of the park we are still 2 years away from our lowest point. We may bounce up a bit this year but i expect 2025 to be the low point. Last year was a bit like 2008, a perfect storm of everything that could go wrong, going wrong.
I enjoy reading your posts and bow to your superior knowledge of the list.
I can only go on media reporting and BF.
Correct me if I am wrong but the efforts the Senior group is making and probably a lot of soul searching on their behalf make me believe they will pull one out of their asses and do a Geelong, thereby inspiring the younger guys to lift.
Not necessarily a GF, ala Geelong, but some much needed inspiration within the playing group.
Group lnspiration can be a thing of beauty.
One thing is certain and that is we will find out. GO EAGLES.

Back