Analysis Season 2024 - Statistics and Analytics Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Brisbane and losing away games before the bye, name a better duo...

2024- lost to hawthorn away by 25
2023- lost to Adelaide away by 17
2022- lost to Fremantle away by 14
2021- lost to Melbourne away by 22
2020- covid- dont count
2019- lost to Carlton away by 15 (i remember this game,,, a huge carlton comeback)
2018- lost to Essendon home by 22

surprised it hasn't been picked up by media as one of their talking points- unless I've misread (definitely possible) if you forget the covid season, we have lost our last 6 games before the bye (didn't check further back because we were no good anyway). considering we've been amoungst the top 4 in that time it's an interesting trend.

the draw obviously goes by a certain structure and they just fill in certain gaps, we appear to get an away game before the bye every season by some quirk.

Last season we had away games either side of the bye as well, and lost both of them.

I look at this list and I say can we please have a home game before the bye? And can we play hawthorn at the gabba?

3 games at the gabba against hawthorn since 2009, 15 away. Absurd.

2020- covid- dont count
2019- lost to Carlton away by 15 (i remember this game,,, a huge carlton comeback)

surprised it hasn't been picked up by media as one of their talking points- unless I've misread (definitely possible) if you forget the covid season, we have lost our last 6 games before the bye (didn't check further back because we were no good anyway). considering we've been amoungst the top 4 in that time it's an interesting trend.

the draw obviously goes by a certain structure and they just fill in certain gaps, we appear to get an away game before the bye every season by some quirk.

Last season we had away games either side of the bye as well, and lost both of them.
We also had a bye in Round 2 this year and lost an away game against Freo in Round 1 by 23 points.

2020- covid- dont count

I’ve posted all about our pre-bye form since the byes inception in 2011 a number of times last week.

The loss yesterday makes it 0-10 in the match before a bye playing away. Amazing that more wasn’t made of it before the game or even raised by Fagan pre Hawthorn game.

I’ve posted all about our pre-bye form since the byes inception in 2011 a number of times last week.

The loss yesterday makes it 0-10 in the match before a bye playing away. Amazing that more wasn’t made of it before the game or even raised by Fagan pre Hawthorn game.
Amazing statistic isn't it

Amazing statistic isn't it
You’d honestly have to say that the players have mentally checked out knowing they’ve got a five day break and the results are evident.

I think a lot of people in office jobs for example aren’t dissimilar that say at the end of year before the Xmas break they start to wind up early, cutting corners, taking longer lunch breaks and leaving right in time and generally a bit more slack talking to colleagues etc and I suspect our boys definitely slacken off and the boss has yet to pick up on it surprisingly.

Per Daniel Hoyne - Logan Morris is the 4th highest rated key forward in the comp over the last 6 weeks (basically since his debut).

Reville is also a top 10 winger since his debut apparently. Caveat - based on AFL player ratings, so ignore if you don’t like that stat.

Also a general point on us:

Accuracy has gone from last to being mid-table in the last few weeks as well.

luthor was asking about our red time performances this season. This is the first year I've tracked this after the Grand Final debacle. My definition of red time is the last 5 minutes of quarters, based on the countdown clock. So essentially it's the last quarter of each quarter.

Coming into this round our overall red time record was 14th best in the comp at 90.7%. Obviously with the current round still in progress I don't yet know where we'll be ranked by the end of the round but certainly our % will get a bit of an uptick.

These are our red time performances round by round so far:

Opening Round: 1 v Carlton 26
Round 1: 20 v Fremantle 50
Round 3: 18 v Collingwood 25
Round 4: 27 v North Melbourne 3
Round 5: 9 v Melbourne 19
Round 6: 4 v Geelong 16
Round 7: 9 v GWS 28
Round 8: 13 v Gold Coast 9
Round 9: 27 v Adelaide 22
Round 10: 37 v Richmond 4
Round 11: 14 v Hawthorn 27
Round 13: 44 v Western Bulldogs 17
Round 14: 51 v St Kilda 10

We were 18th at Round 8. Yes, below North and Richmond.

For comparison, our score of 1 against Carlton is the equal lowest for the year by any team. No team has been held scoreless in red time. Fremantle also scored 1 against Sydney (conceding 9), while GWS scored 1 against Geelong, conceding 15.

The best red time score is 58. That was by Collingwood against Port (conceding 7) and twice today, by the Bulldogs against Freo (conceding 13) and by Sydney against Adelaide (conceding 8).

Collingwood's 58-7 record against Port is also the biggest red time margin (51) of the year.

Last edited:
luthor was asking about our red time performances this season. This is the first year I've tracked this after the Grand Final debacle. My definition of red time is the last 5 minutes of quarters, based on the countdown clock. So essentially it's the last quarter of each quarter.

Coming into this round our overall red time record was 14th best in the comp at 90.7%. Obviously with the current round still in progress I don't get know where we'll be ranked by the end of the round but certainly our % will get a bit of an uptick.

For comparison, our score of 1 against Carlton is the equal lowest for the year by any team. No team has been held scoreless in red time. Fremantle also scored 1 against Sydney (conceding 9), while GWS scored 1 against Geelong, conceding 15.

The best red time score is 58. That was by Collingwood against Port (conceding 7) and twice today, by the Bulldogs against Freo (conceding 13) and by Sydney against Adelaide (conceding 8).

Collingwood's 58-7 record against Port is also the biggest red time margin (51) of the year.

It easy to do could you show our red time scores for each game pls good sir

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Coming into this round our overall red time record was 14th best in the comp at 90.7%. Obviously with the current round still in progress I don't get know where we'll be ranked by the end of the round but certainly our % will get a bit of an uptick.

So is the takeaway here that red time isn’t an issue for us when we are in form and playing our brand effectively?

Melbourne game aside.

So is the takeaway here that red time isn’t an issue for us when we are in form and playing our brand effectively?

Melbourne game aside.
On the back of last night's performance our red time % has risen to 107.0. Compared to our full game % of 115.8, I suppose this is now getting into the realm where it could be considered "natural variation", rather than any sort of pattern or indicator of a long term trend.

Having said that, I would like to see us get to the stage where our red time (and last quarter) performances are regularly exceeding our full game performances. This will lead to more performances like last Friday's against the Bulldogs, and less performances like the Carlton game, the Melbourne fade-out, the rollovers against Freo and the Giants, and the near miss last night.

It's telling that in just 13 games we can readily identify 5 performances which match the trends we've been concerned about for at least a couple of years now, and only 1 which matches what I think we'd like to see.

There's much to be said for an opponent knowing they're cooked once they get X goals down against us. We saw this exact thing tonight in Adelaide. Better to have them in that mindset than "these guys take their foot off the pedal all the time, we're still right in this".

If nothing else, I know we have a number of, how do I say, "more experienced" supporters on this forum... I'm just thinking of their health here 😂

Coming into this round our overall red time record was 14th best in the comp at 90.7%. Obviously with the current round still in progress I don't yet know where we'll be ranked by the end of the round but certainly our % will get a bit of an uptick.

So maybe a form issue and not a fitness issue?

The longer term trends indicate otherwise. This is the first year I've tracked red time scoring. I can't go back and do previous years without literally watching every game, because the AFL code every score using the count-up clock.

(And don't get me started on how it's 2024 and we still have this archaic count-up clock at all: a relic of a long bygone era of inadequate technology).

But our last quarter record is still poor and has worsened again this year. 96.8% in 2023 and now 89.2% in 2024. This 40-game sample size is enough to say more than simply form is involved.

I wouldn’t call it form.

I would call it a tactic. Which doesn’t appear to work against experienced sides.

It looks like we deliberately go in to a game saving mode. You can generally see us change tactics or strategy.

Why we do it, I don’t know.

I wouldn’t call it form.

I would call it a tactic. Which doesn’t appear to work against experienced sides.

It looks like we deliberately go in to a game saving mode. You can generally see us change tactics or strategy.

Why we do it, I don’t know.
As soon as we send a spare back in defence it appears the give the midfielders this false sense of security and they stop hunting the ball and stop defending.
And then we get scored against quite easily late in quarters.

Looked like we were sending Ah Chee back on Friday
What worries me is that JMO that it cost us , or at the least was a significant contributing factor ,to us losing the GF.

But we've still decided it's our go to factor in the dying stages of quarters ,particulaly when we have a lead.

I can only presume the thinking is that it wasn't the tactic that brought us undone ,more about the execution.

My view is that it's not a worthwhile tactic for a team that has form for clocking off .

Looked like we were sending Ah Chee back on Friday
The weirdest thing is it seems to be a different player every week. The week before it was Daniher. So its clearly a tactic to do this but we don't have the same player doing it so everyone can be on the same page. We seem to rotate around every time and noone seems comfortable doing it

Remove this Banner Ad

Back