SEASON 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't want to reveal my sources but talking to a current player a few days ago who said there are about 20 registered players at the moment. He also said no way is he playing ressies and seniors every week. Talking to another existing player yesterday who said that none of them can see it going ahead. The push to keep it alive is all from the old blokes from the sidelines who played 20 years ago "too much history to throw it away", etc. etc. but they're not going to be the ones fielding 2 sides each week.
I know it’s a difficult decision but surely a potential merge is better than loosing all the clubs identity. If they go, it’s unlikely they’ll ever return and with that goes the history. Pretty sad really.
Think I read there were something like 22 mergers in Vic last season with almost as many shutting the door.

Would the outer east look at allowing them to play with no reserves,have heard not the only D1 side struggling for a reserves side.Playing 2 games is a big ask especially if you are buggered after playing in the 2,s then expected to play in higher standard 1,s.

Simple answer is no.

The competing clubs would also be strongly against it.

Important for football that Powelltown get on the park some how.Have there been thoughts especially in the reserves that if a side is short of numbers that each side only has 16 on the ground each.Realise hard on a side that has the full 22 or is it 24 in the reserves in Outer East.The number sides in the country folding is a concern especially in the small towns.

It's not just small towns - plenty of metro clubs have gone under in recent times too. Sandown gone this year, Dandenong West look like going too, are at the crisis stage in terms of numbers.

Last few years Broadford, Mount Waverley and Glen Waverley gone, a few others pretty close. Most people don't realise how close any club is to death - a big exit of players and they'll be battling.

Simple answer is no.

The competing clubs would also be strongly against it.

Alternative is eight clubs, which most would probably prefer as it eliminates the bye.

Fixture would have to be re-done but you could try to maintain the majority of current matches and hope to only change a few games for the year for all clubs.

I know it’s a difficult decision but surely a potential merge is better than loosing all the clubs identity. If they go, it’s unlikely they’ll ever return and with that goes the history. Pretty sad really.
Think I read there were something like 22 mergers in Vic last season with almost as many shutting the door.

Needed to be instigated earlier. Also not sure what they bring to the table now. There netball is in dire straits.

I don't want to reveal my sources but talking to a current player a few days ago who said there are about 20 registered players at the moment. He also said no way is he playing ressies and seniors every week. Talking to another existing player yesterday who said that none of them can see it going ahead. The push to keep it alive is all from the old blokes from the sidelines who played 20 years ago "too much history to throw it away", etc. etc. but they're not going to be the ones fielding 2 sides each week.

There seems to be no secret with the concerns regarding Powelltown across the whole league.

But are the bosses at the league so ignorant that they don’t know what’s actually going on at clubland under their noses?

Recent history has shown the disconnect and trust lost by the clubs towards the league with their dealings on a whole range of matters, the list is too long.

Therein lies the problem with such heated discussion about Powelltown. No one wants to see a club fold, however there seems to be no trust from the rest of the league that Powelltown and league officials have the ability to make the right decision and not to the detriment of the rest of the competition.

Can you imagine the uproar from the rest of the competition if Powelltown was to fold early in the season which would then completely compromise the season. Win/Loss, percentages and the fixture would all have to be done again.

We have all seen this script recently, have league officials learnt from their mistakes? Ignorance is not an excuse.

There seems to be no secret with the concerns regarding Powelltown across the whole league.

But are the bosses at the league so ignorant that they don’t know what’s actually going on at clubland under their noses?

Recent history has shown the disconnect and trust lost by the clubs towards the league with their dealings on a whole range of matters, the list is too long.

Therein lies the problem with such heated discussion about Powelltown. No one wants to see a club fold, however there seems to be no trust from the rest of the league that Powelltown and league officials have the ability to make the right decision and not to the detriment of the rest of the competition.

Can you imagine the uproar from the rest of the competition if Powelltown was to fold early in the season which would then completely compromise the season. Win/Loss, percentages and the fixture would all have to be done again.

We have all seen this script recently, have league officials learnt from their mistakes? Ignorance is not an excuse.
the precedent is there with south yarra pulling the plug halfway through the season last year in D grade southern. entire fixture was left the same and ladder was ranked on win percentage as there were no long an even amount of byes

It's not just small towns - plenty of metro clubs have gone under in recent times too. Sandown gone this year, Dandenong West look like going too, are at the crisis stage in terms of numbers.

Last few years Broadford, Mount Waverley and Glen Waverley gone, a few others pretty close. Most people don't realise how close any club is to death - a big exit of players and they'll be battling.
Benalla all blacks in the ovens and king are fielding seniors only this year,
Maybe add them to the list of clubs on the brink.
Footy unfortunately doesn't hold as much passion, merrit, or priority in young blokes lives anymore. Most would rather work for the extra coin, rather then rusk injury. Which no one can be blamed for.

However, it's this sentiment that leaves country footy clubs nervously looking over their shoulder year after year

Benalla all blacks in the ovens and king are fielding seniors only this year,
Maybe add them to the list of clubs on the brink.
Footy unfortunately doesn't hold as much passion, merrit, or priority in young blokes lives anymore. Most would rather work for the extra coin, rather then rusk injury. Which no one can be blamed for.

However, it's this sentiment that leaves country footy clubs nervously looking over their shoulder year after year
Just makes sense let Poweltown play 1,s only and no reserves if they do not have the numbers.Currently if they are out R1 the only way out for the Outer East is teams that play Poweltown get a bye which will make 2 byes in the round as no go a new fixture.

If Outer East go the 2 byes 2 sides of a club will miss a round of footy,allow Poweltown to play 1,s only, only competing clubs 2,s will miss out.

Last edited:
Just makes sense let Poweltown play 1,s only and no reserves if they do not have the numbers.Currently if they are out R1 the only way out for the Outer East is teams that play Poweltown get a bye which will make 2 byes in the round as no go a new fixture.

If Outer East go the 2 byes 2 sides of a club will miss a round of footy,allow Poweltown to play 1,s only, only competing clubs 2,s will miss out.

How about no. Broadford weren’t afforded the same luxury and they were in far better shape. Come clean go into recess then reassess next season.

How about no. Broadford weren’t afforded the same luxury and they were in far better shape. Come clean go into recess then reassess next season.
I am a outsider and if Poweltown do not get at least 1 side on the park this season this will be the end of them.Question mark over a number Outer East sides in D1 on whether they can field 2 sides.Have a look at the problems in country football and why not look at the club in the Ovens and King league mentioned by another BF poster that the league allows 1 side no reserves to play in their competition.

Interesting in the VAFA sides are struggling for 2 sides can go to a 3rds comp in the VAFA and hopefully re build to get 2 sides.Very much doubt this could happen in country leagues like Outer East but never know.

I am a outsider and if Poweltown do not get at least 1 side on the park this season this will be the end of them.Question mark over a number Outer East sides in D1 on whether they can field 2 sides.Have a look at the problems in country football and why not look at the club in the Ovens and King league mentioned by another BF poster that the league allows 1 side no reserves to play in their competition.

Yes clubs are getting into trouble and a lot is a result of mismanagement. Also the league must be more hands on and get involved at club land. It’s fair to say the whole football community can see what was in the horizon.Not sure how they missed the memo.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes clubs are getting into trouble and a lot is a result of mismanagement. Also the league must be more hands and get involved at club land. It’s fair to say the whole football community can see what was in the horizon.Not sure how they missed the memo.
Biggest problem with the leagues there is no way they can control the salary cap but points system they can and I agree with you.Have a look at the VAFL a amateur league..Begs the question how many of the top clubs in Outer East are doing that right now.

Biggest problem with the leagues there is no way they can control the salary cap but points system they can and I agree with you.Have a look at the VAFL a amateur league..Begs the question how many of the top clubs in Outer East are doing that right now.

Poorly policed to say the least.

Poorly policed to say the least.
So how do you police it,a supporter says I will renovate your kitchen if you play for us.VAFA some good examples are a outsider says we will pay for your kids education at a private school.Would suspect leagues would be sus about something like that but how do you find this out.VAFA is most likely a poor example but sus similar things are happening in all competitions.

Interesting in the VAFA sides are struggling for 2 sides can go to a 3rds comp in the VAFA and hopefully re build to get 2 sides.Very much doubt this could happen in country leagues like Outer East but never know.

could this option of one team per club be more sustainable for small towns? Omeo district has never had reserves I don’t think
local clubs survive and continue to provide an important active social outlet

So how do you police it,a supporter says I will renovate your kitchen if you play for us.VAFA some good examples are a outsider says we will pay for your kids education at a private school.Would suspect leagues would be sus about something like that but how do you find this out.VAFA is most likely a poor example but sus similar things are happening in all competitions.

Now with clubs having to present budgets and books list player payments a traceable history easily accessible.
A player that moves to a new club with a history of payments is easily audited.

could this option of one team per club be more sustainable for small towns? Omeo district has never had reserves I don’t think
local clubs survive and continue to provide an important active social outlet

Yes let them leave and go play in that competition. Let clubs that develop players continue with reserves.

Yes let them leave and go play in that competition. Let clubs that develop players continue with reserves.
I’m trying to think big picture. In the last 5 years Yea, Broadford, Thornton have all gone into recession. Hopefully not but potentially Powelly. This hasn’t helped anybody. If the trend continues the situation starts getting pretty dire.

I’m trying to think big picture. In the last 5 years Yea, Broadford, Thornton have all gone into recession. Hopefully not but potentially Powelly. This hasn’t helped anybody. If the trend continues the situation starts getting pretty dire.
You are correct and looking at the big picture all of a sudden in 5 years time the Outer East is down to 12 teams because they going to go with the policy need 2 teams to play Outer East.Realise a difficult one and see all posters views but would seriously look at allowing currently teams battling for numbers to play 1,s only in D1 and then pull the pin on the club all together.

Yea Broadford and Thornton was due to location as much as anything else. The travel played a heavy toll and players left in mass. Powelltown as far as I can tell have no junior alliance and basically followed a short term path. No juniors is not a sustainable model for any club.

You are correct and looking at the big picture all of a sudden in 5 years time the Outer East is down to 12 teams because they going to go with the policy need 2 teams to play Outer East.Realise a difficult one and see all posters views but would seriously look at allowing currently teams battling for numbers to play 1,s only in D1 and then pull the pin on the club all together.

Then they’ed be forfeiting mid year with a roster of 24 players.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back