SEASON 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

Powelltown would seem to have every natural diasvantage so it feels a bit like they've been just marking time as a club over recent years. In the sense of, they've done well to get this far.

Could anything have been done to have given them a better footing and extend it further? I don't know.

But questions have to be asked. Flags are nice but as a senior coach at a local club, if you leave and the club folds then you on face value you have done a horrific job and deserve more than a fair share of the blame. As a senior figure at the club you have a responsibility to leave it better than you found it.

Maybe there's more to it regarding the committee etc, who knows.
If you're a senior club that leaves
I have always said (from an employment perspective) that the true worth of a person is often best measured once they've retired or resigned. Things can run really well once they're there but they've only done a really good job if they can leave and the place still runs really well. If it falls apart, then they probably haven't really done their job well.

In terms of giving Powelly a leg up to offset their difficulties in terms of distance / recruiting, etc. it's a hard one because they snagged 2 flags with a level playing ground. Can you see any other comp saying they would give a 2 time premier special consideration with extended salary cap or points "cos they're doing it tough"?
Unfortunately clubs will keep signing mercenary coaches and players to get the quick fix and short term hit they're after.

The footy world is a fickle one in which premierships are considered the be all and end all, but I'm sure most club people would rather have a sustainable and community focussed culture, than a couple of flag$ followed by absolute turmoil.

Any historians up that way tell me a bit about Wesburn,did they have a senior club at any stage.I can remember a guy called George Dounan who formed the club but only around the early 60,s due to the Yarra Valley Boys league played on Sundays.
Wesburn, the town/locality, used to be known as West Warburton originally prior to 1925. They had a team in 1907 and again in 1923 playing as West Warburton and in 1925 played as Wesburn. This was in the Upper Yarra Football Association and on each occasion they finished last. This was also long before reserves or juniors football was introduced.

Powelltown had merged with Yarra Junction in 1927 in the Yarra Valley Football Association for one year and won the premiership under the name of Little Yarra Rovers.

In 1955 Yarra Junction and Wesburn merged to form the Yarraburn club, who won the Yarra Valley Football League premiership in 1955 and came fourth in 1957 and 1958. They were around until 1961 when they reverted to being known as Yarra Junction.

From 1956 to 1959 Wandin, Seville and Woori Yallock merged to form a club called Valley United.

Life for smaller clubs up the valley has always been a struggle and I would hate to see Powelltown disappear. I went up there a few years back when they celebrated their centenary and launched their history book. It has been amazing to see a town of 200, a long way from anywhere, being able to put up a team at all. The closing of the logging may prove to be their biggest obstacle yet.

I played against them once in a practice match in about 1989-90 and there were a number of Wirrpanda's running around when they had a link to the Worowa College, my direct opponent was a young Sean Charles who was playing AFL a couple of years later. Perhaps Powelltown could link up with Worowa again.

Good luck to all at Powelltown.

Last edited:

As I understand it Wesburn have been absorbed (or taken over - depending how you look at it) by Warburton. Yarra Junction are trying to keep their juniors going, but only have younger grades. Where do the above posters think Powelltown would find juniors? A town of less than 200 competing with Junction & Warburton for players of all ages?
Maybe the above posters who keep banging on Powelltown only having themselves to blame for not having juniors have never been there?

Did a bit of investigating. Wesburn remained stand alone for many years and for many reasons. Kids played at Wesburn and then progressed to the senior club that suited. Warburton Millgrove have always been heavily involved with financial support donations of merchandise and gear also with coaching. Only in the last few years had a push from certain members of Wesburn to become totally aligned to one club has come about. This was pushed further when AFL VIC asked for senior clubs to sign documents aligning them with junior feeder clubs in line with the points system. This offer was given to both Powelltown and Warburton and still after a number of years Powelltown have decided to not to sign. Powelltown have had no representation of any kind at Wesburn for years and never been a factor at development of players. While Warburton obviously jumped on it and have continued to develop the relationship even further. The Wesburn club even wearing the Warburton strip as an alternate jumper and Burras logos.

Seems the decision was made by Powelltown not to br involved.

Last edited:
Great to hear the League have had something to say about the vileness going on here and other social media platforms!
Now, how about we talk constructively about some other clubs?
Ins & outs?

Great to hear the League have had something to say about the vileness going on here and other social media platforms!
Ins & outs?

They probably should worry more about crowd behaviour and abuse first.

Anyhow haven’t seen or read anything vile on here. Valid points by most.

Ins & outs?
What have they had to say ?? On what platform have they said it ??

Ins & outs?
Was this a private conversation cause I’ve seen nothing from the league regarding any issue? Would be great to see the league do anything at all. If the content on here is a priority then questions need to be asked about what they are doing day to day. Much bigger issues at play than no names talking about a club that is becoming increasingly irrelevant.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Was this a private conversation cause I’ve seen nothing from the league regarding any issue? Would be great to see the league do anything at all. If the content on here is a priority then questions need to be asked about what they are doing day to day. Much bigger issues at play than no names talking about a club that is becoming increasingly irrelevant.

Jumping at shadows I’d say.

Really all everyone wants is some sort of assurance that the season will go as planned.

Sad to see Junction have pulled their women's tea
You’re not wrong here it’s very sad for women’s football in the valley.
I do applaud Yarra Junction though for getting on the front foot and calling it early enough for the girls to be able to go to other clubs.
I just wish this would happen at our club but they keep telling us they have 35-40 players but again yet to see them and we start in 2 weeks.
If I wasn’t so loyal I would love to have the opportunity to go to another club before we start the season and finish it 2or 3 rounds in.

I do applaud Yarra Junction though for getting on the front foot and calling it early enough for the girls to be able to go to other clubs.
I just wish this would happen at our club but they keep telling us they have 35-40 players but again yet to see them and we start in 2 weeks.
If I wasn’t so loyal I would love to have the opportunity to go to another club before we start the season and finish it 2or 3 rounds in.

Nice work the non Powelltown topic lasted 4 days.

Anyhow good luck

Great work by Yea footy club who had an intraclub game with 2 full squads of 22 players for each side.
To get two full sides on the ground after not playing last year is a wonderful achievement, congratulations to committee, coaches, players and everyone involved.
I hope the tigers can get a few wins on the board as well

So what is your club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back