Fixture Season 2032 Brisbane Olympics in the AFL Season

Remove this Banner Ad

Aug 11, 2011
Waverley Park
AFL Club
Hawthorn
Other Teams
Box Hill (VFL)
Some may say I might be getting ahead of myself talking about the 2032 season 11 years before it happens. But looking at the planned for dates for the 2032 Olympic Games in Brisbane, the opening ceremony is planned for Friday July 23rd 2032 and the closing Sunday August 8th 2032.

First thing I noticed about these dates are the fact that the "Summer" Olympics will be held in Brisbane during our winter. But it seems that IOC is planning to hold the Olympics at the same time no matter what country they are in, because the dates for the Paris Games in 2024 will be 26/7 to 11/8, and the Los Angeles Games will be 21/7 to 6/8.

Remembering back to the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games which were held 15/9 to 1/10, the AFL Season was moved forward with the Grand Final occuring on the 2nd September 2000 rather than in its usual last Saturday of September date to avoid conflicting with the 2000 Summer Olympics in Sydney. The dates of the 2032 Brisbane Olympic Games means that it would occur at about Round 19 to Round 21 of Season 2032. What will the AFL do to avoid conflicting with the 2032 Olypmpics in Brisbane.

There are three solutions to this problem:
Move the season forward and have it end before the Olympics start, with would mean starting the AFL season in 2032 in mid January.
Have a three week bye during the Olympics and finish the AFL season in October.
Reduce the number of Rounds in the 2032 Season.

What would be your solution to the Olympic Problem that the AFL will have in 2032?

Footy as normal and the olympics can get f’ed.
It won't be as simple as telling the Olympic to go away. The coverage of AFL on 7 during the Olympics was on 7mate. During the last Olympics here the AFL moved their season forward, But this time it will be in late July to early August. I think because the Olympics will be on no sports competition will be allowed to be played that the same time as the Olympics.

Much as I like the simplicity of the Toump Ass Plan, the obvious thing will be just to start the season a little early and have a three-week break when the Olympics are on. I expect that's what will happen.

It won't be as simple as no games in Queensland for 3 weeks. To use what happened in 2000 with the Sydney Olympics the season was moved forward by a month.

The IOC new idea is to have the Olympics at the same time of year each time. Since the Melbourne 1956 Olympics were held, the Olympics have been held:
1956 Melbourne - November 22 to December 8
1960 Rome - August 25 - September 11
1964 Tokyo - October 10 - October 24
1968 Mexico City - October 12 - October 27
1972 Munich - August 26 - September 11
1976 Montreal - July 17 - August 1
1980 Moscow - July 19 - August 3
1984 Los Angeles - July 28 - August 12
1988 Seoul - September 17 - October 2
1992 Barcelona - July 25 - August 9
1996 Atlanta - July 19 - August 4
2000 Sydney - September 15 - October 1
2004 Athens - August 13 - August 29
2008 Beijing - August 8 - August 24
2012 London - July 27 - August 12
2016 Rio de Janeiro - August 5 - August 21
2020 Tokyo - July 23 2021 - August 8 2021
2024 Paris - July 26 - August 11
2028 Los Angeles - July 21- August 6
2032 Brisbane - July 23 - August 8

Since the 2000 Sydney Olympics all Olympics have been held during the month of August. The timing of the games is more for the American and European Markets and the Atheletes from those areas. The 1964 Tokyo Games were in October. As I said before the 2032 "Summer" Olympics will be held in Brisbane during winter.

Was Major League Baseball played during the 1996 Atlanta Olympics, as baseball is played at this time of year.

Depends on who the broadcaster partner is I feel. If it is 7(who I believe have the rights for 2032), I reckon they would prefer the AFL have a 3 week bye. That would allow 100% coverage of the Olympics and allow all staff to work on it(or holiday through it). It also would keep the AFL on the shelf for 3 weeks longer and not split the audience.

Another TV channel might want to try and stay relevant during the Olympics and at least keep some audience. So, they might not care either way.

regardless, the AFL will get smashed. The Tokyo games was a rating bonanza for 7, who had the highest share of the audience for a week ever in TV history. An Olympics here will be just as strong, if not stronger. I don't know how much the ratings dropped for AFL during the Olympics(I going to guess 25%) but there will be disruption with the Queensland teams who will be away for at least 3 weeks if they decide to play through. That is ignoring the Gabba issue or how TV's will look in 2032.

If it is 7(who I believe have the rights for 2032)
Ch7 currently have the option to extend their contract to 2024 if desired. 2028 and 2032 are still on the table for any broadcaster

As for AFL rights, the current deal ends in 2024. So you'd think that a full deal would happen between 2024 and the 2032 olympics (like 2024-2029 or 2031). So who does the AFL that far into the future is anyone's guess.

Wouldn’t worry about Channel 7 with the football rights in 2032 as the AFL will pawn out the TV rights to the highest bidder and that could be any of the following Foxtel,Stan Sports,Parramont Sports+ or there own Channel AFL sports

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we have Tasmania and 19 teams, you can have 15 teams have their bye one of those three weeks (so the round has just two games, the Wednesday and Thursday before the opening ceremony), plus two weekends with no games. So you just start the season a week earlier and end a week later.
If we have the current 18 teams, you have three weekends without footy, scrap the two current byes and just push the GF back a week.

If we have Tasmania and 19 teams, you can have 15 teams have their bye one of those three weeks (so the round has just two games, the Wednesday and Thursday before the opening ceremony), plus two weekends with no games. So you just start the season a week earlier and end a week later.
If we have the current 18 teams, you have three weekends without footy, scrap the two current byes and just push the GF back a week.
The biggest issue is the stadiums used for the olympics. If it's only Metricon and the Gabba, then you can just stack the two QLD teams with away games for those ~2 months where the venues will be out of action.

If you start having venues like the MCG being used (as it was for the 2000 olympics) then you'll start to run into trouble because of the turnaround time between converting the grounds from AFL to Olympics back to AFL (you'd lose at least one weekend in between which is 14 days on each transition).

The biggest issue is the stadiums used for the olympics. If it's only Metricon and the Gabba, then you can just stack the two QLD teams with away games for those ~2 months where the venues will be out of action.

If you start having venues like the MCG being used (as it was for the 2000 olympics) then you'll start to run into trouble because of the turnaround time between converting the grounds from AFL to Olympics back to AFL (you'd lose at least one weekend in between which is 14 days on each transition).
The Gabba is the only AFL venue being used. It will be out of action for a couple of seasons while it is rebuilt, and part of 2032.
So that won’t affect the AFL season apart from Brisbane playing elsewhere.

Last edited:
The Gabba is the only AFL venue being used. It will be out of action for a couple of seasons while it is rebuilt, and part of 2032.
So that won’t affect the AFL season apart from Brisbane playing elsewhere.
Until the olympic sports are finalised, we won't know for certain. There has been some rumbling about both Netball and T20 cricket being included as one of the 3 sports that the host can chose to include (the former wouldn't impact AFL).

Is there anything in place about not using the stadiums in the lead in to the olympics? Like the world cup with fifa not allowing anyone to use it for 2 weeks before.
Also, dont forget the football (soccer) starts before the oficial opening of the olympics so it will be 4 weeks as the gabba and other stadiums will be used for that.
Realistically, the AFL will have to avoid the gabba for 4-6 weeks.
Is metricon being used too? I know a new sunshine coast stadium is being built.
The NRL will probably be far more affected with suncorp and the townsville stadium and robina all to be used.
Simple thing is, the olympics is a once off and far bigger than a month of afl and nrl so we will have to adjust.

Is there anything in place about not using the stadiums in the lead in to the olympics? Like the world cup with fifa not allowing anyone to use it for 2 weeks before.
Also, dont forget the football (soccer) starts before the oficial opening of the olympics so it will be 4 weeks as the gabba and other stadiums will be used for that.
Realistically, the AFL will have to avoid the gabba for 4-6 weeks.
Is metricon being used too? I know a new sunshine coast stadium is being built.
The NRL will probably be far more affected with suncorp and the townsville stadium and robina all to be used.
Simple thing is, the olympics is a once off and far bigger than a month of afl and nrl so we will have to adjust.

I doubt the Gabba will be used for soccer. Plenty of rectangular stadiums for that.

It's likely the Gabba will be out of action for the 2030, 2031 and 2032 seasons. That's the main problem the AFL needs to plan for, they need a Brisbane venue for those years, even if it's just a ground with a heap of temporary stands.

No way the AFL get use of it 4 weeks before, it's going to take that long just to install the athletics track.

It's likely the Gabba will be out of action for the 2030, 2031 and 2032 seasons. That's the main problem the AFL needs to plan for, they need a Brisbane venue for those years, even if it's just a ground with a heap of temporary stands.

No way the AFL get use of it 4 weeks before, it's going to take that long just to install the athletics track.
they could really come with a good long term plan here to the government.

So, once the Olympics are done, the Brisbane AFLW team could use the same venue without all temp stands but with all the other infrastructure in place.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back