Season 2032

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 7, 2009
Bull Creek WA
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Real Madrid, Man City, GS Warriors
With season 2032 a decade away, I’d expect an interruption during July and August due to the Brisbane Olympics and Paralympic Games taking place between July 23 and September 5

The Olympics will run from 23 July to 8 August with the Paralympics slated for 24 August to 5 September.

2000 saw the season starting in early March with the One Day in September moved 4 weeks early to the first Saturday in September for the Sydney Olympics and Paralympics.

If it were like 2000 with the olympics in Mid-late September - Yeah, bring it forward

But July-August?

I'd extend the season by 1 week, and have 2 byes.

With the 2nd set of byes landing at this time.

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
The Olympics goes for like 2 weeks and a few days doesn't it?

You could probably get away with running 3 weeks of some teams having byes or a split round and get away with it, then just smartly schedule Gold Coast and Brisbane to either play those weeks in Far North QLD and an away game/ bye.

Honestly don't think it will cause too much disruption.

dylan93

Club Legend
Mar 16, 2011
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Brisbane can simply play at Metricon, Riverway, Cazaly's, Moreton Bay, Southpine, Fankhauser or even play interstate for a couple weeks if need be.

EDIT: Alternately, they play away during the weeks that the Olympics are on. Doubt it'll be an issue at all.

Apr 30, 2015
AFL Club
West Coast
Why does it need to be postponed or changed at all. Brisbane and Gold Coast can deal with it themselves. Not my problem.
Although I agree with your sentiment, the soccer WC stipulates that the host nation must cease all other major sporting comps for the duration of the tournament. Maybe the IOC has a similar stipulation.

Although I agree with your sentiment, the soccer WC stipulates that the host nation must cease all other major sporting comps for the duration of the tournament. Maybe the IOC has a similar stipulation.
Thats pretty interesting, but obviously that’s a matter for our Governments. Wonder how they’d handle it if one refused - revoking funding?

Clark G

Club Legend
Oct 10, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Silly question but why are the 2032 summer olympics being played in winter? If the comp still runs then Brisbane play away for a few consecutive weeks like another poster said.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
If that's the case a 16 day break of games as a once off is hardly much of an inconvenience. Start the season a week earlier/later for that year and a year prior/after and just work around it. No big drama.

Very much doubt it - football world cup is country hosted, not city based, so different and I doubt the US would ever host the Olympics if such a rule existed.
Most likely will be a bye round during the three weekends of the of the Olympics and Brisbane/Gold Coast will play away or possibly North Queensland. The Bears will probably have to return to their spiritual home on the Gold Coast for the entirety of 2032 - the Gabba wont be available.

The IOC does have a rule about host cities (which in the case of 2032 includes Melbourne and Sydney) not holding other significant events, but it's wishy washy. There is always an "unless granted permission" clause with these things.

If the AFL are determined to play on through the Olympics, they will. And by that I mean they'll do whatever the holder of the broadcast rights tells them to do.

Jul 28, 2012
Melbourne, the lost City.
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
QPR, Buffalo Bills
If we have any Olympic games at all by then? The AFL will continue as normal apart from the QLD teams until this minor event has finished? While hosting an Olympics is regarded by many cities as one of the world’s greatest honours, it’s also one of the most expensive. There were not many choices for 2032 and the reason why is simple. (Tokyo’s Games, for example, were initially expected to cost $7.3 billion; they’re now projected to have cost $28 billion) Queen Palaszczuk will be busy trying to cut down the costs of this one...? QLD will lose no matter what she does as world wide interest wanes...
Then there will be the debate about what should be done with athletes that don't fit neatly in the gender binary. Who's allowed to compete in men's sports? Who's allowed to compete in women's sports? Society's understanding of gender might be evolving and sports will need to figure out how to catch up. In the meantime, why deny these athletes their dreams? Could we see it all open slather? 2032 is not that far away. That's the thing: it's a dream to go to the Olympics. It's a dream to compete against the best in the world, and the Olympics should be a shining symbol of human achievement.
I actually do like fun. I want the Olympics to be the kind of magical event I experienced when I was a teenager, maybe it's time to settle on one location? The AFL will be just fine.

Rob R

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
Hawthorn
With season 2032 a decade away, I’d expect an interruption during July and August due to the Brisbane Olympics and Paralympic Games taking place between July 23 and September 5

The Olympics will run from 23 July to 8 August with the Paralympics slated for 24 August to 5 September.

2000 saw the season starting in early March with the One Day in September moved 4 weeks early to the first Saturday in September for the Sydney Olympics and Paralympics.
Just avoid Bris games during the actual Olympics and otherwise continue the season as normal. Olympics arent that relevant anymore.

On SM-G570F using BigFooty.com mobile app

Jul 13, 2015
AFL Club
Hawthorn

2 week bye for yhe Olympics. No games in QLD one week either side.

Grand Final at the MCG on the last Saturday in September at 3pm.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back