Official Match Thread Season 26 Round 13 Gumbies FFC vs Las Vegas Bears at House of Gumby (MOTR)

Jul 16, 2015
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Fighting Furies

364BCA1A-10ED-4CE2-9BDF-87EADEF268AA.png

048FD874-9DC0-464A-B50F-C7AB975D726B.png

BB7CB9B9-6051-4BB5-8488-59AEA67FC46D.gif

Round 13’s Match of the Round brings together one of the strongest teams on field this season and the strongest team off field to the House of Gumby. Both teams will be looking to bounce back having lost their respective games in Round 12, the Gumbies going down to the first placed Demons by 25 points and the Bears losing a nailbiter against the Wonders.

How each team is performing?

Gumbies:

Despite a loss to the Demons in Round 12, Gumbies sit third on the ladder two games clear, on 8 wins, 4 losses and a percentage of 102.36. They have won three of their last five games and despite being the joke of the league in recent seasons, have emerged as a potential contender for the Season 26 flag.

Las Vegas Bears:

The Bears had a strong start to the season but have hit a rough patch of late having lost three games in a row. Despite this slump in form, they sit 4th on the ladder with 6 wins, 6 losses and a percentage 114.47.

Last time they met

This marks the second times both teams have met this season, having locked horns in Round 2 at The Stadium in the Sky. The Bears came out of the blocks firing kicking 5 goals, 3 behinds to the Gumbies 1 goal 1 behind. The Gumbies fired back shots in the second quarter kicking 6 goals whilst the Bears added only 3 to their tally. The Gumbies still trailed at half time by gained the lead in the third quarter leading the Bears by a goal. They then kicked 5 goals to the Bears 12 coming out Victors by 16 points. Rookie @Jivlainbooted 6 goals whilst roo2macca dominated in the ruck and BRAB and BLERN dominated in the midfield. On the losing side, LeverPuller kicked 5 goals, brahj Doctor Gero were also among the losing teams best.

color:#141414">LVB SENIORS Vs GUM SENIORS
Consolas;color:#141414">
LVB 5 3 8 5 9 6 12 8 80
GUM 1 1 7 2 10 5 15 6 96

Players to watch

Gumbies:

WaLkEr_ThE_StAr

The Gumbies recruit lived up to his name in his sides 25 loss to the Demons in Round 12. In a game when some of their best midfielders were down, Walker picked up 24 possessions, took 8 marks and kicked 2 goals. Can he back it up with an even better performance against the Bears?

Mattwriting/NSWCrow

The forwards kicked 8 goals between them in Round 12 against the Demons. Can either of them kick an even bigger bag?

Las Vegas Bears

BarryBran

The rookie was one of the Bears best players in their Round 12 loss to the wonders gathering 20 possessions, 4 marks and a DT of 83. Can he perform better and lift his team to break the losing streak?

Brahj

The S24 Mobbs Medallist didn’t have his best game against the Wonders, but picked up a solid 16 possessions, laid 4 tackles and kicked a goal.

Prediction:

Bears to snap out of the slump and win by 10 points.

Captains please remember to post your team sheet in the official team sheet thread by the 11:59pm Thursday

(Credit to Barrybran for the header)

Last edited:

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
Let's go Bears, time for redemption!

Those who know me know that I'm a big fan of Bojack Horseman. Indeed, between it and The Good Place I'm a big fan of the recent surge of moral-philosophy-based sitcoms. Now, as a Stoic I don't really struggle with existential questions - meaning is internally generated by the self-realising quest for eudaimonia. Accordingly, Bojack's struggle for existential meaning against the absurdity of his own existance is not really one that I share - but I like to see such discussions happening within culture.

Overall, though, I think we can agree with what Diane says.

Also, the French smell and I hate them.

Last edited:
Those who know me know that I'm a big fan of Bojack Horseman. Indeed, between it and The Good Place I'm a big fan of the recent surge of moral-philosophy-based sitcoms. Now, as a Stoic I don't really struggle with existential questions - meaning is internally generated by the self-realising quest for eudaimonia. Accordingly, Bojack's struggle for existential meaning against the absurdity of his own existance is not really one that I share - but I like to see such discussions happening within culture.

Overall, though, I think we can agree with what Diane says.

Also, the French smell and I hate them.

Off to a good start.
Ive read this 4 times and i still don't understand it.
Going to be a long week me thinks.

Off to a good start.
Ive read this 4 times and i still don't understand it.
Going to be a long week me thinks.
Would you like me to explain the absurdity of existence, the concept of eudaimonia, why Diane is saying that, or the role of garlic in French cuisine?

Would you like me to explain the absurdity of existence, the concept of eudaimonia, why Diane is saying that, or the role of garlic in French cuisine?
The 4th one please :D

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
Jivlain I work a night shift so you're my bitch this week.

The 4th one please :D
Ok, here we go!

People want to believe that life has meaning. Yet we live in a huge, dark universe that doesn't care about us. So, how do you reconcile these two things? Well, you could look inside and find fulfillment and happiness in yourself through virtue, but that's hard.

You can distract yourself. Todd is happy go-lucky, but as soon as he finds himself without something to do he starts spiraling into despair. Fortunately, he encounters a runaway chicken moments later and distracts himself with that. Mr Peanutbutter is aware of the dark, uncaring void, but deliberately makes an effort to keep himself constantly busy with unimportant nonsense until he dies. The trouble is, what happens if distraction fails and you find yourself directly contemplating the meaningless of life within the universe? Bojack has been happily distracted until he reads his own autobiography (ghostwritten by Diane) and can no longer keep himself distracted, even with drugs or booze. It all falls apart and Bojack spends the next several seasons hurting himself and everyone around him.

For someone who views meaning as external - Satre would say that they believe "essence precedes existence". I want to pound nails, therefore, I make a hammer. The essence - the fundamental purpose - of the hammer, is the reason the hammer is brought into existence. God wants to be worshipped, therefore, He creates someone to worship Him. But if the universe doesn't automatically imbue us with meaning - if the universe is just this vast thing that exists and doesn't care about us - then "existence precedes essence". We are not defined by our existence - we have to make it up as we go along. This is Satre's radical freedom. It sounds like a good thing - freedom's good, right - but this is not the position Satre takes. Instead we are condemned to radical freedom - we are fundamentally responsible for our own meaning. You can look at this as a good thing and define your own meaning (even though your peers may not be impressed). But we have to commit to our own meaning - and that, as I said up front, is hard.

An alternative take is Camus' absurdism. "The absurd" is the discrepency between human's desperation for reason and meaning, and the universe's complete lack of either of those things. Once you recognise the absurd, as Mr Peanutbutter does, you can either go back to distract yourself (if possible), as Mr Peanutbutter does, you can commit suicide (as Secretariat does), or accept the absurd, and be happy anyway (as with Cuddlywhiskers). Bojack tries to escape the absurd (with drugs, booze, running away) but it's only when he accepts the absurd - as he does at the end of season 3 - does he have any chance. He's right back into escapism in season 4 though.

Also, garlic is a staple of French cuisine. Even so, as Maurice Sailland put it, "Une caresse d'ail revigore, un excès d'ail endort" ("A caress of garlic invigorates, an excess of garlic deadens"). When cooked, garlic's flavour and odour changes and ideally harmonises with the other herbs used in the dish - and the French do love those! But it can go to excess and smell quite strong! Particularly if you overdo it on the touristy stuff like escargot or cuisses de grenouille. Creating room for a bad reputation.

Ok, here we go!

People want to believe that life has meaning. Yet we live in a huge, dark universe that doesn't care about us. So, how do you reconcile these two things? Well, you could look inside and find fulfillment and happiness in yourself through virtue, but that's hard.

You can distract yourself. Todd is happy go-lucky, but as soon as he finds himself without something to do he starts spiraling into despair. Fortunately, he encounters a runaway chicken moments later and distracts himself with that. Mr Peanutbutter is aware of the dark, uncaring void, but deliberately makes an effort to keep himself constantly busy with unimportant nonsense until he dies. The trouble is, what happens if distraction fails and you find yourself directly contemplating the meaningless of life within the universe? Bojack has been happily distracted until he reads his own autobiography (ghostwritten by Diane) and can no longer keep himself distracted, even with drugs or booze. It all falls apart and Bojack spends the next several seasons hurting himself and everyone around him.

For someone who views meaning as external - Satre would say that they believe "essence precedes existence". I want to pound nails, therefore, I make a hammer. The essence - the fundamental purpose - of the hammer, is the reason the hammer is brought into existence. God wants to be worshipped, therefore, He creates someone to worship Him. But if the universe doesn't automatically imbue us with meaning - if the universe is just this vast thing that exists and doesn't care about us - then "existence precedes essence". We are not defined by our existence - we have to make it up as we go along. This is Satre's radical freedom. It sounds like a good thing - freedom's good, right - but this is not the position Satre takes. Instead we are condemned to radical freedom - we are fundamentally responsible for our own meaning. You can look at this as a good thing and define your own meaning (even though your peers may not be impressed). But we have to commit to our own meaning - and that, as I said up front, is hard.

An alternative take is Camus' absurdism. "The absurd" is the discrepency between human's desperation for reason and meaning, and the universe's complete lack of either of those things. Once you recognise the absurd, as Mr Peanutbutter does, you can either go back to distract yourself (if possible), as Mr Peanutbutter does, you can commit suicide (as Secretariat does), or accept the absurd, and be happy anyway (as with Cuddlywhiskers). Bojack tries to escape the absurd (with drugs, booze, running away) but it's only when he accepts the absurd - as he does at the end of season 3 - does he have any chance. He's right back into escapism in season 4 though.

Also, garlic is a staple of French cuisine. Even so, as Maurice Sailland put it, "Une caresse d'ail revigore, un excès d'ail endort" ("A caress of garlic invigorates, an excess of garlic deadens"). When cooked, garlic's flavour and odour changes and ideally harmonises with the other herbs used in the dish - and the French do love those! But it can go to excess and smell quite strong! Particularly if you overdo it on the touristy stuff like escargot or cuisses de grenouille. Creating room for a bad reputation.
funny-meerkat-falling-asleep-gif-01.gif

Jivlain I work a night shift so you're my bitch this week.
I can't control you or your actions - that's entirely your own business. My own quest for eudomania is entirely, and solely, predicated on my own actions and my praxis of the virtues. What you do up your end is, at very most, a dispreferred indifferent.

Back