Official Match Thread Season 26 Round 8: Gumbies FFC vs East Side Hawks @ Boncer's Castle (Heritage Round)

Remove this Banner Ad

It's our home game, and I covered why we're not playing it at our heritage ground, namely that it's no longer in a playable state.
Sorry for the confusion Tucky, I meant the Cats playing at the MCG.

When Gumbies win the flag this year we’re gonna burn down our stadium ala Parramatta fans circa 1981

9756ce9f1db66377622a76bd516fc02b.png

https://www.parraeels.com.au/news/2017/07/06/throwback--cumberland-burned-down/

Cor blimey... that's mad. I see what they were trying to do... but that's mad.

Also, I don't think Professor Gumby would approve if we were to burn down our three season old stadium! (I know some Leicester fans wanting a new stadium to seat 50k... guys, expand the ild stadium first!)

Sorry for the confusion Tucky, I meant the Cats playing at the MCG.
Ah... I took it as Geelong selling their Kardina Park games for extra moola at a bigger ground (Coooooolllllinggggggwooooooood), which is what is happening here.

That example you used better suits Collingwood, where teams would rather play them at the G.

Picky.

OK, OK, had to get that one out of the way.

But I am genuinaely curious why a Bears legend would move away from a club that he was the face of? I know about Haydo and us, but am interested to hear about this move.

fFeBk1f.jpg

Fun times, hey spookism?
AnimatedHiddenBoa-max-1mb.gif

Also, I'm going full Willam Defoe this week, so I'll be a little quiet.
If someone could tag me every day and give me a run down on the proceedings of the day as well as the biggest squib as I have a bet on, that would be grand.

Arrogance is a very off putting trait. Please take psychology if you're going to get a 40th degree, as underwater basket weaving is pretty useless.

Luckily when my scuba regulator broke I was able to quickly weave a basket from coral and seagrass to capture the escaping air, buying me time to get to the surface*. Learning underwater basket weaving literally saved my life.

Now, the class I took on how to play Second Life**. That one I haven't really found a use for yet, I'll grant.

* this story may be fictional in places
** this one isn't

Last edited:
AnimatedHiddenBoa-max-1mb.gif

Also, I'm going full Willam Defoe this week, so I'll be a little quiet.
If someone could tag me every day and give me a run down on the proceedings of the day as well as the biggest squib as I have a bet on, that would be grand.
Pls include me in proceedings as well :thumbsu:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Noobz0r and The Filth Wizard, I genuinely apologise for the delay in getting back to you like I said I would. Life got in the way and I've not had the time I hoped I would in order to post this reply in a more timely manner. I also will make it clear that I AM NOT speaking for the Swamprats in the slightest and am only speaking based on my own thoughts and feelings.

The East Side Hawks pride themselves on being tough and uncompromising in their banter and also trying to draw others out of their comfort zone. At no stage have I ever said that there was a problem with that in the slightest and in fact, I do have respect for that despite what some claim. It's also no secret whatsoever that out of everyone in the SFA, I have historically butted heads with the East Side Hawks and a couple of other individuals. Despite what others have claimed as well (they know who they are), I am not the sort of person that wants to have the league being vanilla. Different personalities bring a different dynamic which brings something different every day. It's also no secret that I'm not a complete natural when it comes to banter or the like so I try to enjoy the SFA in my own way, a way, which for whatever reason seems to rub some people the wrong way (FYI, I come here to have fun and enjoy myself).

Now, we go to Noobz0r's thread which caused a lot of initial angst. It was a thread that certainly achieved its goal in that it caused discussion and angst however it was a hypocritical thread. At one point, you criticise the Swamprats for being "insular" but then at another point you claim that people are free to engage in the SFA how they wish to. Now, if the Swamprats choose to engage in the match threads and not the media are we not engaging in the SFA how we wish to? The funny thing is that every team has their own "in-jokes" and every team has people that are more comfortable communicating with certain people but yet, let's only target one team. I could call the Hawks out for the same but I don't because I know my limitations so, therefore, aren't I choosing to engage with the SFA how I wish?

The next point is talking about the melt that The Filth Wizard had when I brought up claims of a clique. To explain further, we need to go back to the Round 5 thread between the Swamprats and the Dragons. For most of that week, that thread had a fantastic vibe. Some would call it a spam fest, others a pile of s**t. Again, unlike what some here believe, I believe that people have the right to an opinion. Then that vibe got completely trampled on by a group of posters, some, associated with the Hawks who came into that thread with the express intention to cause trouble. When you melted on the Sunday night before the match thread between the Swamprats and Hawks went up, you claimed that you couldn't believe that people would still believe that cliques exist in the SFA and you were the only one that referenced Facebook, not me. What I would say in response is very simple; do you honestly believe that a group of random posters, over a couple of clubs would all just happen to head into a thread, not involving their club with the express intention to stir up s**t? If you truly believe that, well, I'm sorry, I don't buy it as a coincidence in the slightest. It had the feeling almost of a clique-like attack and nowhere am I saying it's a bad thing that posters from various clubs are getting along. On the contrary, I'm all for that but when I called it a clique, suddenly you got very defensive. That part, unfortunately, I still cannot understand.

Now in regards to the OP I wrote, there's quite a bit of context that needs to be explained and it splits into 3 parts:

Part A - Round 6 Match Thread between Hawks and Swamprats
Our match thread had the strangest vibe to it that wasn't remotely enjoyable in the slightest. Given the tensions over the preceding week, for me, it felt like I was treading on eggshells around you lot. That was the feeling I had the first couple of days. I don't know if you guys realised, but a lot of people pulled back in that match thread; at least, that was the impression I got. As for later in the week, for the first time ever, it actually felt like a chore to post in the match thread. The SFA is supposed to be a place for banter and fun but when it feels like a chore to post, then you have to accept that something went wrong. Just so we're clear here, I am not criticising the fact you guys posted in the thread, that wasn't where my comments came from; the truth is that it felt like a chore to post just like at times this season it felt like a chore for me to sit down and watch Freo play given our s**t style of football. It wasn't enjoyable and I was glad that the match was being played on Saturday because I didn't know if I could take another day of it. Now, the difference between me and you guys on this particular issue is this; I am prepared to accept my part in that match thread not going well, you guys think you can do no wrong which means when I called you out in that OP, you might call it calling me out in return but it looked an awful lot like toys went flying out of the cot from you guys.

Part B - Precedence
I don't know if you realise, but there is a precedent for teams being personally attacked in an OP. I refer you to Season 24, Round 14 between the East Side Hawks and Sin City Swamprats. Now, everyone knows full well if you read between the lines what the OP was doing (personally attacking a team) but guess what, it led to one of the most unpleasant weeks ever with the match thread ending up locked. Back then, you guys were all for that and perfectly fine with that occurring but when it happens to you guys, suddenly you take offense. You can't have it both ways, unfortunately! The fact that over 2 threads in a 40 hour period I was quoted or mentioned 28 times, I think it's safe to say that you guys really lost the plot on that one which then brings me to the following

Part C - What was the actual match thread?
You guys have written match threads! You know that the basic remit is to provide basic information but besides that, you can do whatever you want with it. The match thread was between the Baghdad Bombers and the East Side Hawks. I wrote a match thread for you (bearing in mind that this is the first time I've done them) and then I headed back to my own thread because I didn't want it to become another Swamprats vs Hawks squabble. The counter-argument is that perhaps I shouldn't have written what I did but given how I felt after our thread (see Part A), and the fact that there is a precedent for teams being attacked (see Part B), I was more than entitled to ask the question. I didn't think that match thread was the right place to continue our squabble, nor did I thing BRAB's thread was an appropriate place either. I think given my history in the SFA, I prefer, where possible, not to derail threads with squabbles irrelevant to the thread. The problem is you guys didn't comprehend that in the slightest but again, I prefer to respect where possible (yes, I am capable of this).

Now as for the last point, I did make a comment about how the Hawks should pay attention in the sign-up thread. Maybe I should've directed that predominately at Noobz0r given his belief that the Swamprats are an insular club. When the Wonders were below the required number of players, who helped them out of trouble? A Swamprat did! If we were as insular as you supposedly believe, we wouldn't have anyone prepared to lift a finger to help them. In terms of the last two charity games to be organized, I know there's a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes but who was the main face of both those games? Swamprats! I know full well that in terms of insularity, Noobz0r is referring to media threads but seriously, going back to one of the earlier points, aren't we allowed to engage how we wish?

Now I will end on this final note. I know what the responses from the less than desirable individuals will be here

- You don't belong in the SFA
- You're a squib
- You're a whiny little bitch
- You're this/that/whathaveyou
- Why don't you just leave the SFA?
- The SFA would be better without you

I've heard it all before and frankly, I have nothing left to lose. You can't lose respect that you don't have (strange given I have a lot of respect for most personas here); you can't lose a heart that you allegedly don't have (again, a weird comment given that through this I've shown I have heart) so frankly, anything that gets said now, well, I've seen it all before.

Noobz0r and The Filth Wizard, I genuinely apologise for the delay in getting back to you like I said I would. Life got in the way and I've not had the time I hoped I would in order to post this reply in a more timely manner. I also will make it clear that I AM NOT speaking for the Swamprats in the slightest and am only speaking based on my own thoughts and feelings.

The East Side Hawks pride themselves on being tough and uncompromising in their banter and also trying to draw others out of their comfort zone. At no stage have I ever said that there was a problem with that in the slightest and in fact, I do have respect for that despite what some claim. It's also no secret whatsoever that out of everyone in the SFA, I have historically butted heads with the East Side Hawks and a couple of other individuals. Despite what others have claimed as well (they know who they are), I am not the sort of person that wants to have the league being vanilla. Different personalities bring a different dynamic which brings something different every day. It's also no secret that I'm not a complete natural when it comes to banter or the like so I try to enjoy the SFA in my own way, a way, which for whatever reason seems to rub some people the wrong way (FYI, I come here to have fun and enjoy myself).

Now, we go to Noobz0r's thread which caused a lot of initial angst. It was a thread that certainly achieved its goal in that it caused discussion and angst however it was a hypocritical thread. At one point, you criticise the Swamprats for being "insular" but then at another point you claim that people are free to engage in the SFA how they wish to. Now, if the Swamprats choose to engage in the match threads and not the media are we not engaging in the SFA how we wish to? The funny thing is that every team has their own "in-jokes" and every team has people that are more comfortable communicating with certain people but yet, let's only target one team. I could call the Hawks out for the same but I don't because I know my limitations so, therefore, aren't I choosing to engage with the SFA how I wish?

The next point is talking about the melt that The Filth Wizard had when I brought up claims of a clique. To explain further, we need to go back to the Round 5 thread between the Swamprats and the Dragons. For most of that week, that thread had a fantastic vibe. Some would call it a spam fest, others a pile of s**t. Again, unlike what some here believe, I believe that people have the right to an opinion. Then that vibe got completely trampled on by a group of posters, some, associated with the Hawks who came into that thread with the express intention to cause trouble. When you melted on the Sunday night before the match thread between the Swamprats and Hawks went up, you claimed that you couldn't believe that people would still believe that cliques exist in the SFA and you were the only one that referenced Facebook, not me. What I would say in response is very simple; do you honestly believe that a group of random posters, over a couple of clubs would all just happen to head into a thread, not involving their club with the express intention to stir up s**t? If you truly believe that, well, I'm sorry, I don't buy it as a coincidence in the slightest. It had the feeling almost of a clique-like attack and nowhere am I saying it's a bad thing that posters from various clubs are getting along. On the contrary, I'm all for that but when I called it a clique, suddenly you got very defensive. That part, unfortunately, I still cannot understand.

Now in regards to the OP I wrote, there's quite a bit of context that needs to be explained and it splits into 3 parts:

Our match thread had the strangest vibe to it that wasn't remotely enjoyable in the slightest. Given the tensions over the preceding week, for me, it felt like I was treading on eggshells around you lot. That was the feeling I had the first couple of days. I don't know if you guys realised, but a lot of people pulled back in that match thread; at least, that was the impression I got. As for later in the week, for the first time ever, it actually felt like a chore to post in the match thread. The SFA is supposed to be a place for banter and fun but when it feels like a chore to post, then you have to accept that something went wrong. Just so we're clear here, I am not criticising the fact you guys posted in the thread, that wasn't where my comments came from; the truth is that it felt like a chore to post just like at times this season it felt like a chore for me to sit down and watch Freo play given our s**t style of football. It wasn't enjoyable and I was glad that the match was being played on Saturday because I didn't know if I could take another day of it. Now, the difference between me and you guys on this particular issue is this; I am prepared to accept my part in that match thread not going well, you guys think you can do no wrong which means when I called you out in that OP, you might call it calling me out in return but it looked an awful lot like toys went flying out of the cot from you guys.

Part B - Precedence
I don't know if you realise, but there is a precedent for teams being personally attacked in an OP. I refer you to Season 24, Round 14 between the East Side Hawks and Sin City Swamprats. Now, everyone knows full well if you read between the lines what the OP was doing (personally attacking a team) but guess what, it led to one of the most unpleasant weeks ever with the match thread ending up locked. Back then, you guys were all for that and perfectly fine with that occurring but when it happens to you guys, suddenly you take offense. You can't have it both ways, unfortunately! The fact that over 2 threads in a 40 hour period I was quoted or mentioned 28 times, I think it's safe to say that you guys really lost the plot on that one which then brings me to the following

You guys have written match threads! You know that the basic remit is to provide basic information but besides that, you can do whatever you want with it. The match thread was between the Baghdad Bombers and the East Side Hawks. I wrote a match thread for you (bearing in mind that this is the first time I've done them) and then I headed back to my own thread because I didn't want it to become another Swamprats vs Hawks squabble. The counter-argument is that perhaps I shouldn't have written what I did but given how I felt after our thread (see Part A), and the fact that there is a precedent for teams being attacked (see Part B), I was more than entitled to ask the question. I didn't think that match thread was the right place to continue our squabble, nor did I thing BRAB's thread was an appropriate place either. I think given my history in the SFA, I prefer, where possible, not to derail threads with squabbles irrelevant to the thread. The problem is you guys didn't comprehend that in the slightest but again, I prefer to respect where possible (yes, I am capable of this).

Now as for the last point, I did make a comment about how the Hawks should pay attention in the sign-up thread. Maybe I should've directed that predominately at Noobz0r given his belief that the Swamprats are an insular club. When the Wonders were below the required number of players, who helped them out of trouble? A Swamprat did! If we were as insular as you supposedly believe, we wouldn't have anyone prepared to lift a finger to help them. In terms of the last two charity games to be organized, I know there's a lot of work that goes on behind the scenes but who was the main face of both those games? Swamprats! I know full well that in terms of insularity, Noobz0r is referring to media threads but seriously, going back to one of the earlier points, aren't we allowed to engage how we wish?

Now I will end on this final note. I know what the responses from the less than desirable individuals will be here

- You're a squib

I've heard it all before and frankly, I have nothing left to lose. You can't lose respect that you don't have (strange given I have a lot of respect for most personas here); you can't lose a heart that you allegedly don't have (again, a weird comment given that through this I've shown I have heart) so frankly, anything that gets said now, well, I've seen it all before.

SQUAB

Part B - Precedence

- You're a squib

Hi BRAB. Thanks for this very useful explanation.

Two points though.

One, it's pretty late at night and I can't really focus on all the :words: right now. By posting this, however, I create a bookmark I can get back to and read this eloquent post at a time when my eyes can both focus near the same point.

Secondly,
i-2d425c33322e45087c35e899b190402f-squid_mp_mating.jpg

Thankyou and goodnight.

Hi BRAB. Thanks for this very useful explanation.

Two points though.

One, it's pretty late at night and I can't really focus on all the :words: right now. By posting this, however, I create a bookmark I can get back to and read this eloquent post at a time when my eyes can both focus near the same point.

Secondly,
View attachment 557574

Thankyou and goodnight.

It's 9:30am Jiv

Part B - Precedence

- You're a squib

Care for other posters? You genuinely accused me of making up a cancer scare sweetie.

I try to enjoy the SFA in my own way, a way, which for whatever reason seems to rub some people the wrong way
Maybe keep your hands to yourself. Respect personal boundaries, and at the very least use some hand sanitiser.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back