Competition Season 31 Rookie Gun of the Year - What are the chances?

Remove this Banner Ad

3 Forwards? Okay.
ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif
ROUND 3 CANDIDATES

Defender of the Week - Grimesy87 (GUM) - ADT 83.53

Alright, starting with the odd ones out, Grimesy played Full Back for the entire game for the Gumbies against the Hawks, and was considered to be the best Backman of the rookies that started away from the goals. Now of course stats don't tell the full story of backmen, as they are usually more judged on how their opponent did. Yeah, it doesn't look like there's any chance of Grimesy to get the nom this week as their opponent kinda ran all over them, they were still one of the highest scoring rookies for the week... it wasn't a high scoring week for the rookies in Round 3.

Forward of the Week - Heardy_101 (MBD) - ADT 209.31
Look who's back, back again. Heardy is once again the highest scoring rookie of the week, once again because someone else was ineligible. This time they bigger and better, going from Forward Pocket (this time Heardy actually did something in his starting position before getting benched) before taking a breather and getting put in the Ruck spot. Those who start in the ruck spot tend to brag about it, so imagine the surprise on Muddiemoose's face when got bench after 8 minutes for Ok Boomer, and imagine Ok Boomer's surprise when they got beat in the ruck by Heardy! 15 Hit Outs, 10 Handballs, 3 Frees, it'll be hard to go past him 2 weeks in a row.

WildCard of the Week1 - Zevon (ROY) - ADT 120.62
Now, onto that person that was ineligible. Last week it was because they had already won a nom, this week it was because BringBackTheAnchor didn't post once in the match thread a.k.a. the only thing stopping rookies from just winning this without showing up. Zevon did what you would expect a Forward Pocket to do. They stayed in front of goals and they kicked towards goal. With 3 marks and 5 kicks, Zevon scored with every attempt, it's just that the tally became 1 goal 4 behinds (I think 2 were rushed though) at the end of a day that needed more goals at the Roys end. Still more than what the Forward Pocket usually does and not everyone can just get benched to play Ruck.

WildCard of the Week2 - Cuzz09 (LVB) - ADT 92.03
The other thing that happened this week is that the 2 starting midfielders didn't reach the 75 ADT threshold, so even if BringBackTheAnchor did post, it would've been at the expense of Cuzz, not Zevon. The 3rd forward to get candidacy, though their stats would say otherwise. 6 kicks, 7 marks, 9 handballs, they have the most non-adjusted DT points of the 4, but when it comes to the Forward part, only a solitary point comes up. So even with no mids in the Top 4, it feels like Cuzz and Heardy already have that part of the field covered. You can have a look at the stats yourself.
1613985237422.png
Has Heardy done enough to make those voting notice him this time? Can Zevon persuade them due to his own efforts? Cuzz has big stats, maybe he can some recognition. Or maybe they'll look at the other end of the ground and see Grimesy for the defender they are.

WHO DO YOU THINK IS GOING TO BE THIS WEEK'S "GUN"?

Last edited:

View attachment 1063066
ROUND 3 CANDIDATES

Defender of the Week - Grimesy87 (GUM) - ADT 83.53

Alright, starting with the odd ones out, Grimesy played Full Back for the entire game for the Gumbies against the Hawks, and was considered to be the best Backman of the rookies that started away from the goals. Now of course stats don't tell the full story of backmen, as they are usually more judged on how their opponent did. Yeah, it doesn't look like there's any chance of Grimesy to get the nom this week as their opponent kinda ran all over them, they were still one of the highest scoring rookies for the week... it wasn't a high scoring week for the rookies in Round 3.

Forward of the Week - Heardy_101 (MBD) - ADT 209.31
Look who's back, back again. Heardy is once again the highest scoring rookie of the week, once again because someone else was ineligible. This time they bigger and better, going from Forward Pocket (this time Heardy actually did something in his starting position before getting benched) before taking a breather and getting put in the Ruck spot. Those who start in the ruck spot tend to brag about it, so imagine the surprise on Muddiemoose's face when got bench after 8 minutes for Ok Boomer, and imagine Ok Boomer's surprise when they got beat in the ruck by Heardy! 15 Hit Outs, 10 Handballs, 3 Frees, it'll be hard to go past him 2 weeks in a row.

WildCard of the Week1 - Zevon (ROY) - ADT 120.62
Now, onto that person that was ineligible. Last week it was because they had already won a nom, this week it was because BringBackTheAnchor didn't post once in the match thread a.k.a. the only thing stopping rookies from just winning this without showing up. Zevon did what you would expect a Forward Pocket to do. They stayed in front of goals and they kicked towards goal. With 3 marks and 5 kicks, Zevon scored with every attempt, it's just that the tally became 1 goal 4 behinds (I think 2 were rushed though) at the end of a day that needed more goals at the Roys end. Still more than what the Forward Pocket usually does and not everyone can just get benched to play Ruck.

WildCard of the Week2 - Cuzz09 (LVB) - ADT 92.03
The other thing that happened this week is that the 2 starting midfielders didn't reach the 75 ADT threshold, so even if BringBackTheAnchor did post, it would've been at the expense of Cuzz, not Zevon. The 3rd forward to get candidacy, though his stats would say otherwise. 6 kicks, 7 marks, 9 handballs, he has the most non-adjusted DT points of the 4, but when it comes to the Forward part, only a solitary point comes up. So even with no mids in the Top 4, it feels like Cuzz and Heardy already have that part of the field covered. You can have a look at the stats yourself.
View attachment 1063117
Has Heardy done enough to make those voting notice him this time? Can Zevon persuade them due to his own efforts? Cuzz has big stats, maybe he can some recognition. Or maybe they'll look at the other end of the ground and see Grimesy for the defender they are.

It should be either Heardy or Cuz.

Heardy_101 was the only one to be superior to his direct opponent (but it was only 1 of the 3 he faced).

Cuzz09 tied with his. It was the 300-gamer sante, though. Besides, 15 disposals, 7 marks aren’t bad at all.

Zevon kicked 1.4, which is unforgivable for an FP.

Grimesy87... It’s better not to comment.

Last edited:
Heardy_101 was the only one to be superior to his direct opponent.

Cuzz09 tied with 300-gamer sante, though. 15 disposals, 7 marks aren’t bad at all.

Zevon kicked 1.4, which is unforgivable for an FP.

Grimesy87... It’s better not to comment.
Hey hey Hey.

Bad GremioPower

I've already mentioned on another thread, the rainy forecast for our game didn't give me time to pull on the long sleeves.

Hey hey Hey.

Bad GremioPower

I've already mentioned on another thread, the rainy forecast for our game didn't give me time to pull on the long sleeves.
You were still the best rookie defender of the round, mate.

I'm going to need to add to my skillset.
You've got these plebs covered.
In my unbiased opinion you are comfortably the strongest rookie this season

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey GREENESHOOTS! Congratulations on the nomination

GS: Well CatsnLakers can't win rookie of the year because all he does is spam gifs and DockerDenPostcode defected from the furies so he's a traitor so it would be an indictment on SFA if either of those two won Rookie of the Year.
All I can do is to continue to train in the mountains.
This sermon doesn’t fool anyone, it’s nice to know we’ve triggered you though.

You could say I "heard" him.
Round 3 has seen this award become a task of how many rookies can end up as a forward by season's end, with 13 of the 23 rooks playing in the round shooting for goal. This was shown when all bar one candidate was a forward (and not even Grimesy87 thought they were a chance). While BringBackTheAnchor was the highest scoring rookie, he didn't post rendering him ineligible. Aristotle Pickett started in midfield so he needed a big score just to get a look in. He had a bigger score, but not a big enough score. With GREENESHOOTS already nommed, that left Zevon Heardy_101 and Cuzz09. Zevon scored 1.4, great for a forward pocket but terrible accuracy never looks good anywhere. Cuzz did enough at Half-Forward, but Heardy managed to do the same amount as him with 1 and a half quarters less. So in the end, the Round 3 Gun nomination is…
1614399183604.png 1614399228024.png

After being utterly disappointed last week over being snubbed, Heardy went into the game determined to not make the same mistake twice. And just like in Round 2, the game started of with Heardy going missing in the forward pocket long enough to get benched early in the second quarter. And again, just like Round 2, Manang decided to make Heardy feel right at home by doing a "Crazy Goody" and putting Heardy back on the ground in the midfield, this time in the prime Ruck spot. And that's where our highlights begin;

It was early on in his match-up with Matera when Heardy showed that he was gonna be a pain to deal with.
2 : 21.02 {rFP} - Matera92 runs past and takes the handpass.
2 : 21.06 {rFP} - This should be a goal to Matera92.
2 : 21.1 {rFP} - Heardy_101 walks it over. The opposition want a free but the umpire's having none of it.
Las Vegas Bears : 8.4.52
Mount Buller Demons : 8.5.53
Along with his rucking prowess, Heardy was helping the team chain together an unassailable lead.
3 : 8.53 {rHFF} - sausageroll has it.
3 : 8.57 {rHFF} - A wild handball - but luckily Heardy_101 was well placed to clean up.
3 : 9.01 {rHFF} - Heardy_101 has time to take a bounce.
3 : 9.05 {rHFF} - Gives the ball to pantskyle.
3 : 9.09 {FF} - His kick is towards Proper Gander.
3 : 9.13 {FF} - Proper Gander is caught under pressure and knocks the ball forward.
3 : 9.18 {FF} - The bounce favours Proper Gander and she is off and running.
3 : 9.22 {FF} - Proper Gander has a bounce.
3 : 9.26 {FF} - Proper Gander wants a goal.
3 : 9.3 {FF} - What a statement by Proper Gander.
Las Vegas Bears : 8.4.52
Mount Buller Demons : 12.6.78
Even started to just lead the opposition in circles.
3 : 20.31 {rW} - manangatang through heavy traffic.
3 : 20.36 {rW} - A lookaway handpass to Heardy_101.
3 : 20.4 {rW} - Headless receives his handpass.
3 : 20.44 {rHFF} - Huge handpass to sausageroll. As good as a kick.
3 : 20.48 {rW} - A long looping handpass to Heardy_101.
3 : 20.54 {rW} - Heardy_101 sells the dummy and helps himself to a bounce.
3 : 20.58 {rW} - Draws a man and then with hands to pantskyle.
Seems to have the leg speed to carry him down the ground.
4 : 1.32 {rHBF} - sante hits the ground running.
4 : 1.36 {rHBF} - Handpass over the shoulder to Heardy_101.
4 : 1.4 {rHBF} - He has a bounce.
4 : 1.45 {rW} - Another bounce taken by Heardy_101.
4 : 1.48 {rW} - Gives the ball to pantskyle.
At this point, he was being more than just a pain to Matera92
4 : 13.49 {lW} - guero assessing what lies ahead of him.
4 : 13.53 {lHFF} - Handpass over the shoulder to Matera92.
4 : 13.58 {lHFF} - Matera92 ran into Heardy_101 and came off second-best.
It even helped the team towards another goal.
4 : 18.38 {rBP} - Broken signals for his teammates to present.
4 : 18.42 {rBP} - Handballs to Matera92.
4 : 18.48 {rBP} - Crunching tackle by Heardy_101.
4 : 18.52 {lFP} - Callums_Guns to send the ball forward.
4 : 18.57 {lFP} - Callums_Guns opens up the goalface.
4 : 19.01 {lFP} - Goal number 3 to Callums_Guns.
Las Vegas Bears : 13.5.83
Mount Buller Demons : 21.10.136
He had a terrible start to the game, but as time went on Heardy went from forgettable to unbelievable. He was dancing around the opposition by the end of the game.
4 : 20.27 {lHBF} - Nobody's checking jmoo wan.
4 : 20.31 {lHBF} - A poor handpass but Heardy_101 is up to the challenge.
4 : 20.36 {lHBF} - Heardy_101 dummy's the handpass and then takes a bounce.
4 : 20.4 {lHBF} - jmoo wan receives his handpass.

So this week, I had to trek past the Snow Dome into the snowy hills/mountains of the Demons residence to interview Manangatang and Heardy. When I found them, Manang was on the guitar, singing the praises that the Demons had actually won 2 games in the row and seemed more than happy to answer the questions.
1614406725374.png

FG: Hey Manang, great win by the Dees on the weekend, with one of your recruits nominated for the Gun of the Week the cherry on top. How does it feel?
M: It feels like that moment exactly 2 seconds after you wake up from a nightmare where you're really tiny and a giant is chasing you with a lawnmower covered in sharks and you run but you can't get away. It's a mix of exhilarating relief and terror.

FG: Oh...kay, Well, congrats on getting Heardy over to the Demons. Where did you find him, and how is he settling in?
M: I found him on the FJGD board - he was cowering behind a small Japanese Maple, but I saw his shoes sticking out from behind the trunk so I went over to him and said 'hey, do you want to join this weird league that you probably won't understand for at least 3 months, if that?' and he said 'alright'.

FG: He's been handy for you guys in the Forward Pocket and midfield, what are your on-field aspirations for Heardy?
M: If he keeps kicking goals he's staying right where he is, unless of course he has aspirations of taking my spot in the guts, in which case it's all his.

FG: I know there's other rookies at the Snow Dome this year, how have they been going themselves?
M: I don't think we have any other rookies - we try not to surround ourselves with too many at once as they can have lice and they can spread like wildfire.

FG: Oh yeah, that's right, shoot. Um, now that we're into the season and we've seen what rookies every other team has, are there any other rookies that you wish you had gotten your hands on that go alright at qooty?
M: I think they're all simply wonderful; rosy-faced harbingers of a brighter Sweet F.A. future. Actually the only one I can name other than my dear friend Heardy is DockerDen5215 and I'm not sure if he qooties well or not. But I wish them all the very, very best of luck.

At this stage, Manang went back to singing the praises of the team so I turned my attention to Heardy (who is apparently the only rookie at Mt Buller).

FG: Hey Heardy! Congratulations on the nomination after being passed up last week. You must be pleased with how you went in the game. What path did you take to get to the SFA, and where did you first hear about it?
H: They found me lurking in the backstreets of the FJGD Board.

FG: And what lovely backstreets they are. What are your first impressions of this place? Is Manang, Headless and the rest of the Dees looking after you?
H: Loving the banter. They certainly are.

FG: How do you prepare for a qooty match? Did you think you were going to be a chance of getting the nomination this week with the amount of rookies that are playing forward?
H: Iced Coffee for breakfast, a nap in the afternoon, rock up late for training with a West End red run in one hand and manage to do the least amount possible.

FG: I see, keeping it simple. What would you like to achieve on the field during your SFA career?
H: Not sure yet.

FG: Have there been any other teams that have stood out for you on the field, or players that you model your qooty on?
H: Mount Buller Demons, and myself of course.

FG: Who else do you think will win the Gun of the Year, and the overall Rising Star? Reckon you’re a shot?
H: If I don't win it, then it's voter fraud and I'm going to start making some phone calls to the SFA commission.

And with that declaration, Manangatang told me to stop disrupting the music and I left, knowing that we've probably haven't heard the last of Heardy_101.

Let's see what happens tomorrow for Round 4!

Last edited:
FG: Oh yeah, that's right, shoot. Um, now that we're into the season and we've seen what rookies every other team has, are there any other rookies that you wish you had gotten your hands on that go alright at qooty?
M: I think they're all simply wonderful; rosy-faced harbingers of a brighter Sweet F.A. future. Actually the only one I can name other than my dear friend Heardy is DockerDen5215 and I'm not sure if he qooties well or not. But I wish them all the very, very best of luck.
At least I'm being noticed. Although I'm not even sure if it's for the right reasons.

A Quarter-way done with this
ezgif.com-gif-maker (1).gif

ROUND 4 CANDIDATES

Defender of the Week - Grimesy87 (GUM) - ADT 203.18
Alright, so last week it was obvious that the defenders had a bad round all-round. So this week, Grimesy took a page out of Heardy's book and got benched to get put into a better position. That position was on the wing on a day where everything went right for the Gumbies until the final hurdle. Grimesy wasn't even that bad at Full-Back, keeping miggs scoreless in the 9 minutes they were together, but there was a chance to do wonders on the wing and Grimesy took it, collecting 26 disposals (a 50/50 spilt of kick and handballs) and 7 marks. Maybe this is why Grimesy gets put on the opposition's best forward each week.

Forward of the Week - Zevon (ROY) - ADT 180.93
Another returning candidate from last round is Zevon, who didn't have to get benched to get a better position. Kicking a behind in the handful of minutes they played in the forward line this week, Zevon played Half-Back Flanker for most of the Roys win, getting plenty of the ball and handing it off to the more experienced players as Zevon finished with 10 handballs, 6 marks and only 4 kicks. It may not have been much of a forward display, but you can't say Zevon didn't have a good game.

WildCard of the Week1 - Jabba73 (BAG) - ADT 145.99
Now, last week the top ADT scorer was ineligible due to not posting. This week, it happened again with Off Tap forgetting to show up, meaning WaywardSonSon would've gotten the spot if they had posted. Which they didn't. Luckily Jabba did, which is great because they deserve to be. Jabba actually stayed in position all game for the Bombers, and managed to nearly get better stats than the Full Back turned Winger. At Centre Half Forward, Jabba had 24 disposals (again half and half) with their 7 marks, with 3 tackles and a goal added on. Might actually be tough to pick a winner this week.

WildCard of the Week2 - Catsnlakers (SCS) - ADT 143.04
And since the only midfielder that scored high enough, Gadzorks, didn't post, that leaves another WildCard spot open. And since mezaire didn't post, that leaves Catsnlakers unopposed to take the final spot. Like most rookies here, Catsnlakers couldn't be kept to one position. They were another rookie to have played most of their game as a Half-Back Flanker, with nearly the same score as the other HBF up for a nomination. 9 kicks this time, but only 3 marks, 6 handballs and a couple frees against put a damper on their chances, but you don't get put up for a nomination without doing something (unless it's a Golden Globe in which that case ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). More stats and more here...
1614582655735.png

Has Grimesy done enough outside their starting position to get the nom, or has Jabba sticking to their guns swayed the votes their way? Could one of Zevon or Catsnlakers be an outside chance to pull a sneaky on the competition and go home with the chocolates. More importantly...

View attachment 1067746

ROUND 4 CANDIDATES

Defender of the Week - Grimesy87 (GUM) - ADT 203.18
Alright, so last week it was obvious that the defenders had a bad round all-round. So this week, Grimesy took a page out of Heardy's book and got benched to get put into a better position. That position was on the wing on a day where everything went right for the Gumbies until the final hurdle. Grimesy wasn't even that bad at Full-Back, keeping miggs scoreless in the 9 minutes they were together, but there was a chance to do wonders on the wing and Grimesy took it, collecting 26 disposals (a 50/50 spilt of kick and handballs) and 7 marks. Maybe this is why Grimesy gets put on the opposition's best forward each week.

Forward of the Week - Zevon (ROY) - ADT 180.93
Another returning candidate from last round is Zevon, who didn't have to get benched to get a better position. Kicking a behind in the handful of minutes they played in the forward line this week, Zevon played Half-Back Flanker for most of the Roys win, getting plenty of the ball and handing it off to the more experienced players as Zevon finished with 10 handballs, 6 marks and only 4 kicks. It may not have been much of a forward display, but you can't say Zevon didn't have a good game.

WildCard of the Week1 - Jabba73 (BAG) - ADT 145.99
Now, last week the top ADT scorer was ineligible due to not posting. This week, it happened again with Off Tap forgetting to show up, meaning WaywardSonSon would've gotten the spot if they had posted. Which they didn't. Luckily Jabba did, which is great because they deserve to be. Jabba actually stayed in position all game for the Bombers, and managed to nearly get better stats than the Full Back turned Winger. At Centre Half Forward, Jabba had 24 disposals (again half and half) with their 7 marks, with 3 tackles and a goal added on. Might actually be tough to pick a winner this week.

WildCard of the Week2 - Catsnlakers (SCS) - ADT 143.04
And since the only midfielder that scored high enough, Gadzorks, didn't post, that leaves another WildCard spot open. And since mezaire didn't post, that leaves Catsnlakers unopposed to take the final spot. Like most rookies here, Catsnlakers couldn't be kept to one position. They were another rookie to have played most of their game as a Half-Back Flanker, with nearly the same score as the other HBF up for a nomination. 9 kicks this time, but only 3 marks, 6 handballs and a couple frees against put a damper on their chances, but you don't get put up for a nomination without doing something (unless it's a Golden Globe in which that case ¯\_(ツ)_/¯). More stats and more here...
View attachment 1067748

Has Grimesy done enough outside their starting position to get the nom, or has Jabba sticking to their guns swayed the votes their way? Could one of Zevon or Catsnlakers be an outside chance to pull a sneaky on the competition and go home with the chocolates. More importantly...
I'm quite happy to announce myself as this week's rookie.

After doing bugger all in the first 3 games, it was only a matter of time before I came good.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back