Official Match Thread Season 34 Round 1: Ophidian Old Boys FFC vs Gumbies FFC at Spotswood Oval

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic start up victory for the Old Boys today. I'm just grateful for being apart of so much history and it's exciting what this club can achieve on and off the field in our 1st season.

10 disposals in the back pocket isn't something to sneeze at either! I'm one happy haydo tonight

You may wish to acquire a Bonz Effigy from Toga Enterprises made with premium furballs and combustibles.

Burning efffigies provide a therapeutic relaxing experience that smooth your grooves.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why hello there on this fine Thursday (aka manangatang's fourth favourite day of the week). It's time for the first Season 34 (and first Ophidians Old Boys hosted) edition of ...

TOP TEN THURSDAY

This much-loved tradition is a pretty simple one - each Thursday in the match thread, a theme is posted at the thematic time of 10am (oops) and then anyone that wants to join in lists their top ten according to the theme. Previous themes have included TOP TEN TV MOVIES BASED ON REAL EVENTS, TOP TEN PLACES TO MAKE LOVE and TOP TEN NOBEL PEACE PRIZE WINNERS, but this week we're going to be listing our ...

... TOP TEN PUBS/CLUBS

You might choose your current local watering hole, or perhaps a dingy dive bar that you went to as a young'un because they had cheap drinks and/or were very lax ID checking. Maybe it's somewhere that you've seen a bunch of incredible gigs, or it could be a venue that you've gotten off your chops and danced until sunrise so many times you've lost count. It might be something that holds a really specific memory for you, or maybe it's somewhere in an exotic location that you wish you could be at right now. It doesn't really matter what you choose (or why you chose it) - it's your top ten!

There aren't any other rules for Top Ten Thursday except that your list needs to have ten entries (no more, no less). Feel free to order them from 1-10 if you like, and while explanations aren't necessary, they make the whole thing more interesting. And of course, ripping apart other nominations is definitely allowed/encouraged.
Thanks to everyone for getting involved with TOP TEN THURSDAY this week. I normally share my Top Ten on the day and if things get too busy (or I simply forget), I give it a miss. But just because I know it will annoy beez no end for me to stretch this much-loved Sweet FA tradition out to Sunday, here's my top ten pubs/clubs:

1. Hopetoun Hotel (Sydney) - RIP. Was the ultimate pub for watching live music in Sydney. As a teenager, I remember walking back down to Central station from the SCG and being glued to the windows watching whatever band was playing for as long as I could until my friends dragged me away to go home. Went to so many low-key gigs there (and played a few myself) that walking through the doors felt like coming home. I'm pretty sure I own the record on the Mrs Pac-Man machine too.
  2. Dalston Jazz Bar (London) - This club was hands-down the best night out I had in London while we were living there. We got there about 1am and danced to classic pop, funk and soul with about 200 people absolutely crammed into what kind of felt like a cafeteria at the bottom of an office block. Then at about 3am, all the waiters danced out through the crowd in their sailors suit uniforms handing out pieces of cake and pecan pie out of the boxes they held high above their heads.
  3. Motel Mexicola (Bali) - I've had so many fantastic nights here and never a bad time. Incredible food, great drinks, amazing atmosphere and the off-menu birthday flaming sambucca is a show-stopper.
  4. Alexandria Hotel (Sydney) - Absolutely THE best place to watch a Swans game ... and is absolutely rammed on Grand Final day too. Had some incredible times there courtesy of the Bloods.
  5. Annandale Hotel (Sydney) - Another tragic victim of the dying Sydney music scene. Some of the most memorable gigs I've ever seen and now it's gentrified into a cookie cutter inner suburban pub that has decent-ish food and a little PA or some twat to play insipid covers of songs you only ever hear over the speakers at Woolies. An absolute travesty.
  6. Sega World (Sydney) - Every Saturday night this very short-lived "theme park" (it was a glorified Timezone really) had an underage club night that was the best (only?) place for a horny 14yo to go and awkwardly stand on the edge of the dance floor while all these beautiful girls danced just out of reach. The only thing creepier than that was when our U18s football team went one night and the coach was far too invested in getting some of the guys hooked up with the girls they met there.
  7. East Brunswick Club (Melbourne) - This was the first place where I genuinely felt that people liked our band. They actually knew the words. We ended up playing there a bunch and were very sad when it closed down. Plus, the food was great too.
  8. Blu Bar on 36 (Sydney) - As GWS Goose mentioned, the drinks up there are VERY expensive, but the view is absolutely spectacular and well worth the trip.
  9. Shakespeare's (Sydney) - Just a great old-school Sydney pub that has great food and the best pub trivia, even if one of our team members changed our jackpot answer on the way up to the quizmaster and cost the team $400 ... and then did it again the next week!
  10. Noose Surf Club (Noosa) - Every time I go there, I end up here almost every afternoon. I'm no surfer, but I give it a crack and there's no better way to end the day with a few cool drinks looking over all the waves I never actually caught.
Oh, what? There's a game on? Will check in on that later with the #delayedtelecast.

Thanks to everyone for getting involved with TOP TEN THURSDAY this week. I normally share my Top Ten on the day and if things get too busy (or I simply forget), I give it a miss. But just because I know it will annoy beez no end for me to stretch this much-loved Sweet FA tradition out to Sunday, here's my top ten pubs/clubs:

1. Hopetoun Hotel (Sydney) - RIP. Was the ultimate pub for watching live music in Sydney. As a teenager, I remember walking back down to Central station from the SCG and being glued to the windows watching whatever band was playing for as long as I could until my friends dragged me away to go home. Went to so many low-key gigs there (and played a few myself) that walking through the doors felt like coming home. I'm pretty sure I own the record on the Mrs Pac-Man machine too.
  2. Dalston Jazz Bar (London) - This club was hands-down the best night out I had in London while we were living there. We got there about 1am and danced to classic pop, funk and soul with about 200 people absolutely crammed into what kind of felt like a cafeteria at the bottom of an office block. Then at about 3am, all the waiters danced out through the crowd in their sailors suit uniforms handing out pieces of cake and pecan pie out of the boxes they held high above their heads.
  3. Motel Mexicola (Bali) - I've had so many fantastic nights here and never a bad time. Incredible food, great drinks, amazing atmosphere and the off-menu birthday flaming sambucca is a show-stopper.
  4. Alexandria Hotel (Sydney) - Absolutely THE best place to watch a Swans game ... and is absolutely rammed on Grand Final day too. Had some incredible times there courtesy of the Bloods.
  5. Annandale Hotel (Sydney) - Another tragic victim of the dying Sydney music scene. Some of the most memorable gigs I've ever seen and now it's gentrified into a cookie cutter inner suburban pub that has decent-ish food and a little PA or some twat to play insipid covers of songs you only ever hear over the speakers at Woolies. An absolute travesty.
  6. Sega World (Sydney) - Every Saturday night this very short-lived "theme park" (it was a glorified Timezone really) had an underage club night that was the best (only?) place for a horny 14yo to go and awkwardly stand on the edge of the dance floor while all these beautiful girls danced just out of reach. The only thing creepier than that was when our U18s football team went one night and the coach was far too invested in getting some of the guys hooked up with the girls they met there.
  7. East Brunswick Club (Melbourne) - This was the first place where I genuinely felt that people liked our band. They actually knew the words. We ended up playing there a bunch and were very sad when it closed down. Plus, the food was great too.
  8. Blu Bar on 36 (Sydney) - As GWS Goose mentioned, the drinks up there are VERY expensive, but the view is absolutely spectacular and well worth the trip.
  9. Shakespeare's (Sydney) - Just a great old-school Sydney pub that has great food and the best pub trivia, even if one of our team members changed our jackpot answer on the way up to the quizmaster and cost the team $400 ... and then did it again the next week!
  10. Noose Surf Club (Noosa) - Every time I go there, I end up here almost every afternoon. I'm no surfer, but I give it a crack and there's no better way to end the day with a few cool drinks looking over all the waves I never actually caught.
Oh, what? There's a game on? Will check in on that later with the #delayedtelecast.
East Brunswick Bar sounds familiar ... lemme go look at my records ...
Ok no, not quite!
West Brunswick Hotel.JPG

2 : 1.57 {lFP} - Wickzki walks into goal.
2 : 1.58 {lFP} - The umpires are checking if that shaved the post... and signal the affirmative..

Wickzi is all like ... ohhr I couldah told ya THAT!

My bad. I'm a ranga like Lingy... err, I was.

1 : .55 {rW} - He looks for MC Bad Genius.
1 : .59 {rW} - One grab... Two... Three... Mark to MC Bad Genius.
1 : 1.01 {rW} - MC Bad Genius has possession.
1 : 1.05 {lW} - A wild kick laterally towards The Jesus.
There it is - my first proper touch in the purple, orange and white. And proof that my eyes are always locked on The Jesus. And with good reason too.
1 : 2.48 {FF} - Long raking kick in the direction of Bonz.
1 : 2.5 {FF} - Bonz appeals for the mark but play on's the call.
1 : 2.54 {FF} - Bonz with a little space.
1 : 2.58 {FF} - Not a lot of daylight for Bonz to aim at.
1 : 3.02 {FF} - @Bonz gets the six points.
OOB Ophidian Old Boys : 1.0.6
Gumbies FFC : 0.0.0
Bonz!!! YOU LITTLE RIPPER - THE ACCOUNT IS OFFICIALLY OPEN!!!

#delayedtelecast

Remove this Banner Ad

Back