Game Day Season 7, Qualifying Final v Melbourne: Friday 4 November @ Ikon Park

Remove this Banner Ad

Were channel 7 squeezing extra ads in after a goal? At the game there were a number of times the players and umpires were in position for 20 seconds or more before they got the green light to play

You reckon Marinoff and Hatchard are in the best shape they could be??

They could take a lesson from Chelsea and previously Erin on how to prepare yourself.

After 6 years our best players should be "ripped" not still carrying puppy fat.

OMFG again? Seriously, give it a rest. It's just as garbage a take as it was the first thirty times it was posted.

Beaten by a better side today, and realistically the three goals in the first quarter were mostly good fortune. We have a massive issue transitioning the ball into attack against the top sides and until we can address that we won't be beating them. Our defence held up well but when you're under siege for most the game you're going to give up goals. We need to find ways to hold territory ahead of centre.

Chelsea Randall, what a gutsy performance. I still just want her to play back again, though. For all the pain she put herself through it's not like it created goals. Just let her focus on destroying an opponent instead of killing herself.

Charlton brilliant tonight, Biddell excellent as always although she looks awkward as hell up forward. Some decent performances but not at the level to win a fourth flag. We should hopefully be able to account for Collingwood or Bulldogs next week but that's as far as we'll be going.

OMFG again? Seriously, give it a rest. It's just as garbage a take as it was the first thirty times it was posted.

Beaten by a better side today, and realistically the three goals in the first quarter were mostly good fortune. We have a massive issue transitioning the ball into attack against the top sides and until we can address that we won't be beating them. Our defence held up well but when you're under siege for most the game you're going to give up goals. We need to find ways to hold territory ahead of centre.

Chelsea Randall, what a gutsy performance. I still just want her to play back again, though. For all the pain she put herself through it's not like it created goals. Just let her focus on destroying an opponent instead of killing herself.

Charlton brilliant tonight, Biddell excellent as always although she looks awkward as hell up forward. Some decent performances but not at the level to win a fourth flag. We should hopefully be able to account for Collingwood or Bulldogs next week but that's as far as we'll be going.

Our issue with transition is we have far too many contest focused players. Everyone is going in for the tackle, or the stack on. When we win the ball in a contest there is probably someone else nearby that was also trying to win that ball. What then happens? No one on the outside, or we can't get it to the outside because everyone is clogging it up. And because we commit so many numbers to contests even if we somehow did get it out, we usually have a numbers issue trying to structure up and win uncontested ball

Now this works against the weaker teams because we are an incredibly powerful contest winning side and can gain territory. But when you have a team that can match that and execute a better structure, we are found wanting.

We need to spend the off-season working on holding shape at contests, not overcommitting, and lightning fast use of handball to outside runners. This means no more Marinoff and Hatchard just slamming it onto the boot in congestion, but actually looking for that link to the outside. It's clear that full AFL mens structures are quickly coming to AFLW and we'll fall behind if we don't get our structures to the levels of Brisbane and Melbourne.

One positive to the last few games is I think we've found our long term defensive setup with Allan, Biddell, Prowse, Mueller and probably Allen. Button is the replaceable weak link.

I feel like Adelaide have more than replaced the output of the Erin Phillips that played last year. But haven't replaced any of the qualities that forced the opposition to deal with her and lessen the load on other Adelaide players.

Quite the opposite in fact. Munyard and Ballard stand out to me as players in their current role who good teams can safely ignore, and double-down on covering the dangerous players. Both of them have shown they can still destroy the replacement level players of the bottom teams, so maybe there is something there, but against the top-end of the ladder they're almost completely inert

Even a dream start could not save Crows inadequacies in game style to better teams and deficiencies in ball movement even from our stars.
Some younger players like Biddell, Gould,Ponter, Charlton and lesser players like Munyard , Newman etc etc have taken steps forward but their is a list of good and serviceable players gone backwards in some cases dramatically including my 2 favourite players Jones and Hatchard.
In fact how Hatchard gone from best player in comp to a player that can't or lost desire to get to contest and lost her ability to when in possession to break free to create .
Is it a major niggling injury or just attitude changed for some reason but the difference is major/

Not missing how bad her kicking has deteriorated and along with fellow midfielder Charlton couldn't kick 5 metres in this game, although have to say Marinoff at least was trying to improve her hand and kicking turnover rate.
But like our mens team the all out attack on the ball leaves outside players free to create along with the bang the ball onto boot which normally lands in a packed defence, that then run the ball out again to outside players .
Its not loss of Phillips ,it just the coaching and playing standards of good teams caught up and passed us .
Cant finish without raising my admiration for Chelsea getting fit for this game and general efforts to make Crows a better team.
Couldn't wait to see Prowse make the team after CmStab constant calling for and surely will add to team in future games and noticed how much bigger Melbourne was in size in many positions.

Couldn't wait to see Prowse make the team after CmStab constant calling for and surely will add to team in future games and noticed how much bigger Melbourne was in size in many popositions.

I'm not even the biggest Prowse fan in the world, but after seeing how comfortable and skilled she looked in the preseason trial match it was baffling to see her constantly passed over for a laundry list of average-at-best talls in Simmons, Dowrick, Ward, Whiteley, etc... and then the one time she was given a try it was at the expense of McKinnon??? Bizarre.

As the last two matches have shown she clearly belongs at this level, while we are carrying several players who don't.

Prowse down back is definitely a big plus. She has shown she can play on talls and smalls.
Thought she did a good job on Daisy last night. Competed well when it was 1 on 1. Daisy did get the better of her a couple times, but overall, I was impressed with her down back.
I feel like Adelaide have more than replaced the output of the Erin Phillips that played last year. But haven't replaced any of the qualities that forced the opposition to deal with her and lessen the load on other Adelaide players.

Quite the opposite in fact. Munyard and Ballard stand out to me as players in their current role who good teams can safely ignore, and double-down on covering the dangerous players. Both of them have shown they can still destroy the replacement level players of the bottom teams, so maybe there is something there, but against the top-end of the ladder they're almost completely inert
I'd like to see Ballard play more up forward. She's a pretty good kick at goal. Munyard has speed and has improved a lot compared to last year. Button, Mueller, Allen, Munyard are Ballard should all be on the chopping block. Though, Tonon and Waterhouse are the only names I'd want to see come in.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back