AFLW Season 7: Round 1 v Adelaide @ Glenelg Oval, Friday 7:40pm AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Good win on the road . Harris on ball for bits worked even if she tried too hard at time to crash through tackles . 14 shots to 6 is telling . Remain to be convinced Gillard is a natural defender , seems more like a ruck in waiting . Still can't complain with the effort all the women put in .

SugarHealey did you bail up Mick Stinear in the offseason? Last season you were big on how our hanballing needed improvement and tonight it was brilliant.
I find its enough to highlight the major deeficiencies on the forums. I thought we were shyte by hand in the 1st Qtr. We were going nowhere with the ball, apart from back into the contest.

We needed to get the ball outside the contest, and run it.

I lost some interest before the end of first Qtr. Crows were playing better straight-line footy, in the 1st.
I was recording it, so I went to another channel.

When I got back to it, we were leading. The standard was very low, IMO.

My impressions are the crows have more footy IQ, across their team. Harder at the ball.

So I'm not sure how we won it.?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I find its enough to highlight the major deeficiencies on the forums. I thought we were shyte by hand in the 1st Qtr. We were going nowhere with the ball, apart from back into the contest.

We needed to get the ball outside the contest, and run it.

I lost some interest before the end of first Qtr. Crows were playing better straight-line footy, in the 1st.
I was recording it, so I went to another channel.

When I got back to it, we were leading. The standard was very low, IMO.

My impressions are the crows have more footy IQ, across their team. Harder at the ball.

So I'm not sure how we won it.?
Not sure how we won it? It felt all game like we dominated tbh. Handballs much much better. Dominated possession. Looked dangerous down forward. Midfield looked the best it's been since the comp began. We looked tougher at the contest. Answered every challenge. Made some positional changes which worked. All with Bannan hardly sighted. I don't know how Crows were still in it with a few mins left. This is our year. If we don't win it this season I'm convinced we're never winning it. Lions only challenger I reckon.

And for a Friday night game, how bad was the ground and lighting? If this comp wants to be taken seriously this has to be addressed.

Not sure how we won it? It felt all game like we dominated tbh. Handballs much much better. Dominated possession. Looked dangerous down forward. Midfield looked the best it's been since the comp began. We looked tougher at the contest. Answered every challenge. Made some positional changes which worked. All with Bannan hardly sighted. I don't know how Crows were still in it with a few mins left. This is our year. If we don't win it this season I'm convinced we're never winning it. Lions only challenger I reckon.

And for a Friday night game, how bad was the ground and lighting? If this comp wants to be taken seriously this has to be addressed.
The ground was changed pretty late due to rain ruining Norwood oval where Adelaide usually play. Did make for ordinary viewing.
Too early to write off Adelaide as a challenger imo. They'll still be thereabouts. Not the first time we've beaten them well in a H&A game.
But, I was impressed with how we played. Got pushed for the first 5-10 minutes each quarter and managed to get back on top and run away with it.

We got the ball to the outside and ran it. Skills were a bit sloppy, but the confidence to keep taking the game on was there all game. Lots of aggressive kicks/handballs to move it quickly.
Yeah, I watched the replay, and our 2nd Qtr was much better, and our use of the ball around the contests improved massively. Impressive quarter. The girls lifted in the 2nd, and our aggression at the ball and player improved.

Encouraging.

I'd only seen the 1st Qtr, at the time of posting.

We improved in the 2nd Q.

Purcell has added another string to our midfield theory. West was very good.
And having Gay down halfback, has added more composure to us.

Our ball handling was very rusty in the 1st.

I'd only seen the 1st Qtr, at the time of posting.

We improved in the 2nd Q.

Purcell has added another string to our midfield theory. West was very good.
And having Gay down halfback, has added more composure to us.

Our ball handling was very rusty in the 1st.
Watching a couple of other games, we haven't been the only side with rusty skills in the opening term. Adelaide was quite good with their pressure also. Still a quality team but I doubt they'll be top 4 this season. Lions, Kangas, Dees and Freo for me with Pies a real chance too. Purcell clearly a great inclusion and West looks like she might have taken a step. Gay to the backline was a great move. Handballing improved vastly on last season. So some toughness and improved movement through hands should see us as red hot favourites this year. Really no excuses this season..

Our problem has always been keeping our ball movement going, especially against teams who are strong around the ball

SugarHealey did you bail up Mick Stinear in the offseason? Last season you were big on how our hanballing needed improvement and tonight it was brilliant.

A combo of higher skilled handballs, and aggression, both at the ball and the player. IMO, this is the area we improved, so far...

We need to not only maintain this new aggression, but to build on last weeks games aggression.

I would love Viney to get along to the girls training; to helpout with some tackling, and general aggression tactics and attitudes to...

Also I would like to see our AFLW Demons improve in areas of blocking shepherding for team-mates.... This is a learned skill of timing, Re Decision making of who pairs off to block; leaving the other to go at the footy for the possession, and for the delivery of.

Also, when we tackle we should be expected to leave the opponent on the ground... not still standing on their feet.

Be aggressive on the field, girls.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back