Preview Season 7, Round 1 v Melbourne: Friday 26 August @ ACH Group Stadium (Glenelg Oval)

Remove this Banner Ad

brucetiki

Guest of Her Majesty
Nov 7, 2002
Wentworth Detention Ctr
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Adelaide, Centrals
Adelaide v Melbourne
Friday 26 August
7:10pm
ACH Group Stadium (Glenelg Oval)

Just like last season, we have a last minute venue change, with the club confirming the match has been moved from Coopers Stadium to ACH Group Stadium due to the condition of the Coopers Stadium surface.

I think this will benefit the Crows considerably. Glenelg is the smallest ground in the SANFL (the 50 metre arcs are actually only 45 metres as they'd intersect with the centre square otherwise), and our game plan very much suits smaller grounds.

Melbourne will be hungry after their GF defeat though.

Interesting stat: In all GF rematches in the AFLW, the losing team from the GF has won the rematch in the subsequent year (Brisbane 2018/19, Carlton 2020, Adelaide 2022 season 6). Can we be the first side in AFLW history to win the GF and the GF rematch?

Rnd-1-Instagram-Web-Lineup-1080x1350.png

No Ailish Considine (Firewalker goes wild!)

Absolutely gobsmacked Prowse can't make the team.

Aside from that it's quite a conservative team versus what we played in the grand final with only one unforced change

Out: Considine, Phillips, Gore, Mules, Hewett
In: Kelly, Newman, McKinnon, Whiteley, Ballard

Aside from that it's quite a conservative team versus what we played in the grand final with only one unforced change

Yup, would have preferred Prowse over Button even if they are not like for like players. Zoe is quality and the sooner she is a regular, the better we will be.

No Considine and Newman selected… 4 months on from when that should have been the case on the team sheet.

Prowse and Tonon should be picked every day of the week instead of Whiteley and Button.

Pretty happy with that team overall. Button for Prowse is the only glaring change I would make. Considine out, Newman in, good. Ward not quite there feels right too, glad they didn't just play her because they traded for her. Happy to see Ballard back in the side, and Munyard stepped up her game in the latter part of last season so good to see her around too.

I think they're still not sure how they want to replace Phillips so have played Whiteley and Randall together to let them rotate a bit and find something that works. Long term I still prefer Randall as a defender and I don't rate Whiteley back there, but on the team sheet at least they've gone with Randall at HF and Whiteley down back. Hopefully they're just playing funny buggers to put some doubt in Tayla Harris' mind.

Jones and Kelly the two named wings, which feels right to me. Sarah Black has been talking for a few weeks now about Jones spending more time as an inside mid, and maybe she heard a whisper or something, but I don't see that being the case. Jones is just too damn useful on the wing. I'd rather they let Charlton go inside a bit more often, or alternatively if they do want to go with Randall playing the old Phillips role, let her start inside and then draft forward.

Last edited:
Yup, would have preferred Prowse over Button even if they are not like for like players. Zoe is quality and the sooner she is a regular, the better we will be.

At this stage I'm not even sure what type of player Button is anymore. She doesn't win much of the ball and provides some pressure... surely Prowse could do that. Maybe they're worried about her opponent running off her?

In any event, hopefully they have a plan for Prowse other than backup ruck. Perhaps this is "last chance" stuff for Button? Time to show us you've still got what it takes to hold other players out the side?

Obviously Phillips is a big loss, but her aside this is all an upgrade.

Hewett -> McKinnon, big upgrade
Considine -> Newman, big upgrade
Mules -> Ballard, at least a draw and probably an upgrade long-term
Gore -> Kelly, I'll hold off on my judgement until I see how Kelly fits in to our side, but Gore didn't exactly have a great finish to the season (7D, 1M, 0T in the prelim, and 4D, 0M, 2T in the grand final)

Last edited:
At this stage I'm not even sure what type of player Button is anymore. She doesn't win much of the ball and provides some pressure... surely Prowse could do that. Maybe they're worried about her opponent running off her?

In any event, hopefully they have a plan for Prowse other than backup ruck. Perhaps this is "last chance" stuff for Button? Time to show us you've still got what it takes to hold other players out the side?

Obviously Phillips is a big loss, but her aside this is all an upgrade.

Hewett -> McKinnon, big upgrade
Considine -> Newman, big upgrade
Mules -> Ballard, at least a draw and probably an upgrade long-term
Gore -> Kelly, I'll hold off on my judgement until I see how Kelly fits in to our side, but Gore didn't exactly have a great finish to the season (7D, 1M, 0T in the prelim, and 4D, 0M, 2T in the grand final)
I think Button plays more a tagging role. I see her often doing the chasing and tackling than disposing of the ball. Her defensive pressure is quite sound, just she needs to pick up a gear this year in the offensive aspect.

Yano - If our defense can hold up without Randall. I think playing her in the Phillips role could make us better.

She tried it for a bit in 2021, and while it wasn't unsuccessful (we finished minor premiers, after all) I don't think it's her best role.

Still, our weakest area is unquestionably our forward line, so there is an argument for her to bolster that area, with an option to rotate back when necessary.

I just hate the idea of allowing someone like Tayla Harris the luxury of not having to play on Randall. At the end of the day, we should be fine against most teams regardless of where Randall plays. What matters is what we do against the likes of Melbourne, Brisbane, North, Collingwood and Fremantle, and having Randall down back destroying their best forwards is so useful.

On a side note, while I usually avoiding speaking about other team boards, what is the deal with the lack of presence for Melbourne's AFLW side on Bigfooty? Considering they have one of the best teams in the whole comp, have been around since the start, and were even one of the pre-AFLW faces of women's footy, there seems to be almost nothing about AFLW on their forum. No AFLW subforum, just a single AFLW thread with almost no activity whatsoever. Maybe a dozen posts since last season.

Is there a separate place where Melbourne fans discuss AFLW or is there just not much interest?

On a side note, while I usually avoiding speaking about other team boards, what is the deal with the lack of presence for Melbourne's AFLW side on Bigfooty? Considering they have one of the best teams in the whole comp, have been around since the start, and were even one of the pre-AFLW faces of women's footy, there seems to be almost nothing about AFLW on their forum. No AFLW subforum, just a single AFLW thread with almost no activity whatsoever. Maybe a dozen posts since last season.

Is there a separate place where Melbourne fans discuss AFLW or is there just not much interest?

Demonland has a subforum just for AFLW, seems to have much more activity than the Dees board here - AFL National Women's League

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good start by Ash ‘Josh Jenkins’ Woodland

Remove this Banner Ad

Back