Preview Season 7, Round 3 v North Melbourne: Saturday 10 September @ Wigan Oval (Unley Oval)

Remove this Banner Ad

Super important win, North is a quality side and we couldn't afford to go 1-2. Now we just need to get over Collingwood next week and then we move into a somewhat easier phase of our fixture.

Other than a scratchy period in Q1, I thought that match was actually quite reminiscent of the Crows from last season. Long periods of relative dominance without much to show for it, which nonetheless ends up being enough because the opponent simply can't score. Not strong enough to inspire confidence, but enough to win anyway. After quarter time North only scored 3 points for the rest of the match, and barely even made it ahead of centre in the last quarter - again, shades of last season.

Superb matches from Randall and Marinoff, Gould was quality again, and Ponter really stood up when needed. Thompson and Charlton were pretty good. After a scratchy start I though Allan started to look a bit like her old self, and Biddell was handy. Woodland could have had a dominant match if she just completed a few of those marks, most were right near the goals too. Hatchard was good in patches but still well down overall, she often tries to do too much and gets into trouble. Jones had a rare off game. Munyard and Newman are still such "almost" players who seem to do quality things only to muck it up right afterwards. There's ability there but it's just not coming out yet. Although I don't mind Munyard playing closer to the forward line. Martin is slowly working her way into the season but is still well down on form.

I didn't actually mind Button's role as a tagger, I think that's the only role she still has left at AFLW level but she was adequate at it. Essentially no ball herself but she did a good job minding an important opponent. How pathetic were the commentators trying to make a story out of her "sling tackle"? It was literally just a jumper tackle. Actually, the commentary was honestly disgraceful all match long. Constantly talking about how "North hasn't done much wrong all match long, they deserve to win this" despite the fact that they literally went goalless for three quarters. And they kept going on about how the Crows were nervous, how their intensity was down etc while we were dominating. The entire commentary team seemed devastated that North lost. In the end I was kind of glad my noisy preschooler drowned most of it out. Tom Rockliff might be the worst commentator I've ever heard.

Dowrick looks better in defence than she ever did as a forward, but I'm still far from convinced. I think I prefer her over Ward though. With Randall being asked to plug gaps all over the ground we are going to need to find another medium-tall defender. I read in the thread here that people were down on Allen's game but I thought she was alright after Q1.

Prowse is clearly quality but whatever role they've got her playing is not working for her. If she's just going to have occasional stints in the ruck and spend the rest of the game barely touching the ball, I'd rather we just bring McKinnon back in so at least she can clunk a few marks in defence. Meanwhile, if we had anyone else pounding the door down for a spot I'd suggest that one of Tonon, Ballard or Button would be in trouble for next week, but I'm not sure we do. Maybe if they want to give Kustermann or Mueller a game at some point?

On a final note, the concussion to Amy Smith from being kicked by Marinoff was hard to watch - ouch! Extremely rough luck.

Last edited:
The standard of the comp has gone significantly downhill this season, talent spread too thin with the expansion clubs. Will take 3-4 seasons to correct itself.

I disagree with this. Maybe in an overall sense (there are now four new teams who are, with the possible exception of Essendon, completely uncompetitive), but not among the top teams. Most of the top teams barely lost anyone of note, and have another season's experience under their belts. There's no reason why any team in the top 6 should be worse than last season - or at least, no reason that relates to expansion.

The standard of the comp has gone significantly downhill this season, talent spread too thin with the expansion clubs. Will take 3-4 seasons to correct itself.
Maybe.
Alternatively, the short off-season could mean players havn't had time to get their bodies right (Either rest, or shorter pre-season maybe)

Rather odd coaches votes this week, apparently there was consensus on the top 5 players bit not even close to the same order.

7 Chelsea Randall (ADEL)
7 Danielle Ponter (ADEL)
6 Jasmine Garner (NMFC)
5 Caitlin Gould (ADEL)
5 Ebony Marinoff (ADEL)
I mean, they could all be tied on 6

Remove this Banner Ad

Back