Preview Season 7, Round 5 v GWS: Sunday 25 September @ Wigan Oval (Unley Oval)

Remove this Banner Ad

Just to keep things in perspective, 97 to 1 is the equivalent of 130 to 1 in the men’s game. That is a record gonna be hard to beat!

And it could have been 97 to 0, with GWS’ only score coming literally just before the end of quarter siren.

Just to keep things in perspective, 97 to 1 is the equivalent of 130 to 1 in the men’s game. That is a record gonna be hard to beat!

And it could have been 97 to 0, with GWS’ only score coming literally just before the end of quarter siren.
Also they only had that shot because of a Jones mis-kick that hit the point post somehow, so it was OOF.

I don't recall them having any other shots on goal!

Should smash port Friday night at the oval. Let’s out number their supporters.

Port girls will come out and make a manufactured attempt to make this a classic but you are looking at a really seasoned team. They beat a poor Sydney side to claim their first win. They got beaten up by GC. Port haven't played anyone inside the 8 yet and still only won a single game and drew against Carlton. If the Crows lose this game, it would be us taking the game too lightly.

After watching that Disney+ doco I do feel sorry for GWS, really set up to not be that competitive given the resources & players they have a available to them.

They can’t even take advantage of whatever Jas Simmons is doing out there.
Same. Watching the Fearless doco and seeing GWS leaders go to their weekly team meeting after yet another loss and discuss what they can do better. The only team they can beat are bottom of the ladder Sydney.

I didn't even realise Simmons was playing. Only saw her in the second half and what I saw wasn't that great.
This was probably Biddell's worse game, but only because ball hardly got down there. GWS's only score was also from a poor EJ kick, so the backline must've done well.
Everyone else was fantastic.

Dowrick was impressive and looked very dangerous up forward.
Woodlands is always dangerous. Only needs 5 kicks to get her 3 goals.
Hatchy finally finding some good form.
Marinoff was excellent in the middle.

Damn... that was comprehensive! I don't remember such a dominant win from the Crows since the 2019 prelim against Geelong. Possibly even more so.

Today was the first time I could see Dowrick's value. Obviously given she got four goals! But she is a strong body who positions well and knows where the goals are. Certainly an upgrade on Whiteley on today's performance and looks better than she did in defence. Her and Waterhouse were both good additions to what has been a barely functional forwardline.

Obviously the opposition was woeful, so you can't take too much from that performance beyond just the professionalism and commitment to play it through to the final siren. Marinoff and Hatchard were excellent, as were all of the mids - Charlton, Newman, Thompson and Munyard all very good. Randall was Chelsea Randall. Button had easily her best game of the season. Martin is getting back to her pesty best. Gould the best of the rucks. Backline had little to do but stood up when needed, I thought Najwa Allen was brilliant today.

Jones and McKinnon had "almost" games but still did enough. Woodland still isn't getting much of it but damn, she takes her chances when she does! Is there a more reliable kick for goal in the competition? Probably the only players who would be disappointed in their games are Tonon and Simmons. Simmons did maybe two good things for the match which I suppose is an improvement from last week? Don't see what value she adds. Tonon clearly has talent but didn't get much opportunity to show it today.

You have to say, GWS did not come over here with a gameplan to win. We often see middle-range sides (Bulldogs, etc) come over with a gameplan designed specifically to target Adelaide, and they are able to make the game ugly, stifle our movement, and turn it into a slog. GWS were clearly either unwilling or unable to do that. Their gameplan seemed almost custom-designed to play into our hands.

Never should've brought in Sydney/Port Adelaide this year.

Port only exists to weaken us.
And Sydney only exists to ensure there's an even amount of teams in the competition.

Neither were ready.

The AFL's desperate lunge to weaken us may have done massive damage for the womens game in NSW.

Port girls will come out and make a manufactured attempt to make this a classic but you are looking at a really seasoned team. They beat a poor Sydney side to claim their first win. They got beaten up by GC. Port haven't played anyone inside the 8 yet and still only won a single game and drew against Carlton. If the Crows lose this game, it would be us taking the game too lightly.
Crows have played one team outside the 8, and are given a 5 day break before the first showdown. Fabulous fixturing.

I know we're the best team going around but sheesh, could it be made any harder for us?

Crows have played one team outside the 8, and are given a 5 day break before the first showdown. Fabulous fixturing.

I know we're the best team going around but sheesh, could it be made any harder for us?

To be fair, they’ve largely kept the expansion sides away from the big guns like us, Brisbane, Melbourne etc which is probably the right thing to do. For some perspective, this GWS team beat Sydney by 8 goals a few weeks ago. Sydney/hawthorn etc playing too many against us/Bris/Melb would be disastrous for the comp as a whole.

Probably too late now, but they may have been better off going with a 2 division model while the new teams get up to scratch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, they’ve largely kept the expansion sides away from the big guns like us, Brisbane, Melbourne etc which is probably the right thing to do. For some perspective, this GWS team beat Sydney by 8 goals a few weeks ago. Sydney/hawthorn etc playing too many against us/Bris/Melb would be disastrous for the comp as a whole.

Probably too late now, but they may have been better off going with a 2 division model while the new teams get up to scratch.
Yes, agree with that. But I'm so sick of the artificial fixture in the men's comp, I hate seing the AFL manipulate this comp as well.

You know what? New teams struggle. No biggy. Let them. But lets have a 'open' competition not a 'handicap' comp that favours some teams and punishes others. This is the big girls comp, not a primary school participation sports event.

Port also played today, it's the same gap

Think a positive was playing Gould as CHF with rucking forward which gave a target or compete in air and along with Dowrick showing something along with Ponters return we might look like the Crows team of last few years especially with some like Newman Biddell Newman etc finding confidence.
Believe McKinnon played better than CMSTAB etc rated

Yep, very much need 2 divisions if they're only going to play 10 games with 18 teams

Good to know. I don't take any notice of what Port are doing in the AFLW. They're irrelevant except they're there to be smashed by us whenever we play them. It still is a s**t artificial manipulated fixture full stop...like all of the AFL fixtures.

For me, the main takeaway from watching Port this year has been wishing that we could have gotten Ewings. She's going to be a star.

Pity our defender on 3/4-time didn't have the skills to clear the ball otherwise we would be talking of a side not scoring in an entire match. Has the AFL overstretched player wise introducing new sides.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back