To my St Kilda Bigfooty family, have a rippa guys n gals.:christmastree: :gift:

A7AB8D2D-E1AE-4965-BC45-17F523D7B1E3.jpeg

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
merry Christmas guys ...
the great thing about the melting pot of cultures here in Australia is the way we all celebrate the season differantly ...
for my family with my wifes Dutch herritage a big deal is made about Christmas eve where we have family over an enjoy a drink and a sing-along while opening our christmas book from "Sinterklaas" (tradition says you give a book on Christmas eve to read before bed).. Christmas morning starts of with a cooked breakfast before we start setting up for the day , this is where my Indian herritage kicks in for us christmas lunch isnt ham or turkey but consists of Crab Curry , saffron rice, salmon cutlets, yoghurt chillis and hot mango pickle.. for desert its all the sugary goodness of Jelabis (a fried batter soaked in rose flavored sugar syrup), Barfi (a milk powder fudge) and Kulfi (Indian Icecream).... once the sun go's down the scotch gets opened , the curry puffs , samosas, potato and onion Bajii get heated up out come the guitars and the cards and we sing chat and play card games until its time to go home...
what does Christmas for you guys usually entail ?

Nov 1, 2013
AFL Club
St Kilda
merry Christmas guys ...
the great thing about the melting pot of cultures here in Australia is the way we all celebrate the season differantly ...
for my family with my wifes Dutch herritage a big deal is made about Christmas eve where we have family over an enjoy a drink and a sing-along while opening our christmas book from "Sinterklaas" (tradition says you give a book on Christmas eve to read before bed).. Christmas morning starts of with a cooked breakfast before we start setting up for the day , this is where my Indian herritage kicks in for us christmas lunch isnt ham or turkey but consists of Crab Curry , saffron rice, salmon cutlets, yoghurt chillis and hot mango pickle.. for desert its all the sugary goodness of Jelabis (a fried batter soaked in rose flavored sugar syrup), Barfi (a milk powder fudge) and Kulfi (Indian Icecream).... once the sun go's down the scotch gets opened , the curry puffs , samosas, potato and onion Bajii get heated up out come the guitars and the cards and we sing chat and play card games until its time to go home...

This year, it entails coming to your place! Sounds awesome!

upload_2018-12-19_10-47-49.png

Merry Christmas Sainters!

Hopefully the Christmas spirit brings you all joy and good health, but above all I hope that your Christmas tree is surrounded by the greatest gift of all - family and friends.

merry Christmas guys ...

I'm coming over, save a spot for me. Turkey is a s**t bird, no-one even likes it.

We do an old school English style one for my family on Christmas Eve and then go for a Croatian version with the wife's family on the day.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm coming over, save a spot for me. Turkey is a s**t bird, no-one even likes it.

We do an old school English style one for my family on Christmas Eve and then go for a Croatian version with the wife's family on the day.
whats involved with the Croation version ?

Aug 13, 2016
South Gippsland
AFL Club
St Kilda
merry Christmas guys ...
That sounds epic and delicious mate!!

For us, Christmas morning is bacon, pancakes and icecream (somehow it works), traditional lunch with the wife's family - she has 5 sisters so it's a huge affair - then Boxing Day at my brothers with his family which consists of the males drinking scotch and watching the Test on tv and the females having a drink and a laugh.
It's the best day for mine purely because the company is relaxed, it's a smaller affair and the kids run amok with their cousins. It comes at a perfect time personally also, right after the craziness of spring.

Merry Christmas all and stay safe. Wishing great things for our team and you all personally next year.

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Merry Christmas fellow Sainters and one day we will be premiers on this day!!!
the year we win the flag i reckon by about christmas time i would just have my emotions in check to not spontaniously break into joyful tears ... i would prob be just sobering up from the massive part afterwards by that stage as well ......... maybe :)

whats involved with the Croation version ?

Lots of roast meats and salads, a few special cakes and biscuits. Still pretty normal Christmas fare. My father in law usually gets me to drink home made grappa and slivovitz and laughs at my eyes tearing up from it as as his annual amusement. Last year we had Christmas Day with my folks and Christmas night at hers and my family had a picnic in the park at St Kilda botanical gardens, it was much better, we actually ran into a family we have known since I was a kid and joined together. It was actually one of the best Christmas days I've had, it ended up about 50 people with all the kids and grand kids etc.

VDS66

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 4, 2011
AFL Club
St Kilda
Lots of roast meats and salads, a few special cakes and biscuits. Still pretty normal Christmas fare. My father in law usually gets me to drink home made grappa and slivovitz and laughs at my eyes tearing up from it as as his annual amusement. Last year we had Christmas Day with my folks and Christmas night at hers and my family had a picnic in the park at St Kilda botanical gardens, it was much better, we actually ran into a family we have known since I was a kid and joined together. It was actually one of the best Christmas days I've had, it ended up about 50 people with all the kids and grand kids etc.
We have to go to Essendon for lunch then get home by 6.

We then have friends over who don't have proper families, including a few expats.

If I had my way we'd all meet in a park... Friends, family etc. So much easier and diverse

We have to go to Essendon for lunch then get home by 6.

We then have friends over who don't have proper families, including a few expats.

If I had my way we'd all meet in a park... Friends, family etc. So much easier and diverse

Easier to clean up too. I hate it when I have it at my house, it's cleaning up while you want to spew. The worst combo ever.

Keg on legs

Cancelled
10k Posts St Kilda - Doulton Langlands Player Sponsor 2020 St Kilda - Robbie Young Player Sponsor 2019 St Kilda - Nathan Freeman Player Sponsor 2017
Oct 5, 2014
The beer fridge
AFL Club
St Kilda
I'm hosting xmas for my fam this year. My Mrs' family don't celebrate xmas so it's always at mine, my brothers or my sisters.

Thankfully my brothers did well out a race horse they sold this year so they're paying for us to all go out for lunch. 3 hours all you can eat and drink in geelong.

Then home for lots more beer, pulled pork rolls, chook, ham, salads, cakes and sweets

Oh, and did i mention more beers?

st_trav_ofWA

Norm Smith Medallist
Aug 17, 2015
AFL Club
St Kilda
Easier to clean up too. I hate it when I have it at my house, it's cleaning up while you want to spew. The worst combo ever.
there is that but i do like the fact that having it at home you dont need to transport everything from one home to another theres no "who is the sober driver" the good thing recently has been the clean up has been done by the kids ... $10 bucks each to the oldest 2 to put the rubish in the bin and load the dishwasher ... easy A

My hot tempered Greek family having too much alcohol and yelling loudly at each other for six hours before someone decides it's a good idea to play classical Greek music until they all pass out from exhaustion and the kids devour the (quite abundant) leftovers.

My hot tempered Greek family having too much alcohol and yelling loudly at each other for six hours before someone decides it's a good idea to play classical Greek music until they all pass out from exhaustion and the kids devour the (quite abundant) leftovers.

Sounds similar to Croat Christmas.

I eat turkey at least twice a week

Xmas day will be pretty much:
Get up early
Get in the shed and gym up
Shower
Eat
Prob wash and detail the car or work in the yard
Eat
Small late arvo workout for 20 mins
Eat
Read the saints pre season thread

Back